What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After countless crashes, disintegrations, nearly-there's, and design refinements I got my spaceplane into space :D

23303789134_4e85ee207c_h.jpgThe Space Shuttle Gallifrey in orbit by cantab314, on Flickr

Only just, but that's what I needed. It's a stepping stone, the basis for a planned Shuttle capable of delivering cargo to other atmo bodies. Think of it as loosely my Enterprise analogue.

Edited by cantab

Today, after yesterday's asteroid work, two rescue contracts were completed. One in Minmus orbit, and one on the surface. Being the total cheapskates that the Kerbal Space Program is, it was decided to combine the rescues with a training mission for four kerbonauts.

m5ZPuhW.png

The Minmus Return Lander (TM) proudly on the pad. The crew a tad worried about the late addition of the orbital rendezvous mission.

TUCCPie.png

They quickly found out that a design to land and return generally does not have the fuel to also pick someone up from orbit. Hence part of the return burn home had to be done with RCS. (They are not complaining, it is a vast improvement over the 25 mandatory spacewalks to push the spacecraft home, which happened last year.)

oCHR11k.png

On the way home, some execess weight was burned off. Who needs electricity anyway.

G9cIXcc.png

Screaming through the lower atmosphere at mach 7.

VI2cKGk.png

And finally a successful splash down 45 km south of the KSC. According to Wernher, it's not that much of a swim home.

This mission brings the total number of active kerbonauts to 32, 33 if you count the tourist that's waiting for a Kerbol SOI trip.

11 minutes ago, Snarfster said:

Today, after yesterday's asteroid work, two rescue contracts were completed. One in Minmus orbit, and one on the surface. Being the total cheapskates that the Kerbal Space Program is, it was decided to combine the rescues with a training mission for four kerbonauts.

That is not being "total cheapskates", it is "cost-effective management".  

It is all how you frame it during the inevitably congressional budget committee grilling you get after every failed mission.  :cool:

Also made my first interplanetary craft. I present to you Mohoho 1. Includes kickback SRB's, mainsail engine and the dawn electric propulsion system.

Going into orbit: 

MkRL0I4.png

Circularizing: 

02W0eK1.png

In orbit around Kerbin:

piS0kB3.png

Now just gotta wait 200 days to start transferring to Moho. :P

Edited by Dreadwave
Craft name

In preparation for my mission to Urlum I designed the 3rd version of my kerbonaut mobility assistant. Named "Mud-Dauber"

P3Rt8K8.png

The craft runs on a quad lensed hall thruster fueled primarily with argon gas. When traversing terrain it uses repulsor pads.

wF5okjb.png

As far as my engineering data goes it should be able to land, takeoff, and travel across on all of urlums moons!

You know or it could run out of power and explode.

This is for the next episode of my youtube series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2fxlSN_yvQc5l8xjAnoEGRvgAyD0sGku

(recommend starting with episode 8)

Edited by baconfortress
picture links didnt work

Started building prototypes for a Kerbin circumnavigation. It was fun, since I never made a boat, or a rover more complex than it's needed to farm sci in KSC. I failed to grant acceptable on-water speed and/or survivability to the designs, but than I realized that I don't have to stay above the surface in this version. Swapped the jet engine with ballast tanks, what resulted in the first successfull test run of the Bugnautica Mk 0.

486Y5mz.png

Now I just need to kerbal it and the journey can start. PB-NUKs ensure that I will not need fuel, yet I will need to send 3000 ore every time when it needs to pass water, as the ballast is too heavy to safely transport it trough hills and whatnot. That's goona be fun.

Edited by Evanitis

I tried to build a sub again, and failed. For some reason I can't sink the damn thing. The little plane in the navball goes under the horizon, but the prograde marker keeps on the horizon, so I never really dive. The only way I managed to go underwater was by hacking gravity with F12 menu.

The point is to build a sub capable of delivering small station parts underwater, to build and underwater station, so it needs at least one cargo bay (the bigger ones).

Ideas?

3 hours ago, PCanas said:

I tried to build a sub again, and failed. For some reason I can't sink the damn thing. The little plane in the navball goes under the horizon, but the prograde marker keeps on the horizon, so I never really dive. The only way I managed to go underwater was by hacking gravity with F12 menu.

The point is to build a sub capable of delivering small station parts underwater, to build and underwater station, so it needs at least one cargo bay (the bigger ones).

Ideas?

Use full ore tanks.  It works really well.  @RoverDude's also working on an AWESOME sub mod.

20 hours ago, cantab said:

After countless crashes, disintegrations, nearly-there's, and design refinements I got my spaceplane into space :D

The Space Shuttle Gallifrey in orbit by cantab314, on Flickr

Only just, but that's what I needed. It's a stepping stone, the basis for a planned Shuttle capable of delivering cargo to other atmo bodies. Think of it as loosely my Enterprise analogue.

Your awesome looking design inspired me to make something similar. I've never managed to make a VTOL capable SSTO spaceplane before.

So I shamelessly stole some design features from your Gallifrey and applied them to my own SSTO Z-2 High-Five.

The result was the SSTO I-2 Galiano.

YD0prK9.png

Edited by Val
your, not you're

7 hours ago, Evanitis said:

Now I just need to kerbal it and the journey can start. PB-NUKs ensure that I will not need fuel, yet I will need to send 3000 ore every time when it needs to pass water, as the ballast is too heavy to safely transport it trough hills and whatnot. That's goona be fun.

Consider equipping it with a drill.  Then you can fill up your ore tanks without needing to get a shipment of it from elsewhere.  

Let's see... tried to edit the clouds around Laythe. Totally messed everything up. Had to reinstall my cloud pack. I don't know how some of you ever figured this stuff out.

Discovered my second Mun arch. Bill got a shot at piloting. He over shot. The lander I use will not flip but if you set down on a really steep crater wall, it slides, and picks up speed while sliding. Then stuff starts hitting the ground and exploding. Finally came to rest inside a boulder! Arch was 10 km away. Tried to hop closer but half the fuel tanks and engines were missing and couldn't control it. Bill will be missed.

Now that I knew basically where the arch was, tried again with Jeb. Landed short on a steep slope but no explosion. Tried again to hop up the steep slope. Almost clipped a mountain, Made a quick adjustment. Got confused. Jeb left his mark all around the arch. 

Day was not all bad. I think I have my game running under 64 bit in Windows.