What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Last night my first non-atmospheric planet/non-Kerbin SOI lander arrived at Dres, where it was shocked to discover the required dV for orbital insertion was 3300 m/s-  the transfer stage was burned completely of fuel & mono-prop, then the lander had to use half of its fuel to make orbit.  With the mini-sat successfully released, there was no reason not to try a landing, and so by a hair's breadth it made touch-down, with only 0.27 units of LF aboard.

An exultation moment was had.

Well, I started off today trying to crack that spin problem I mentioned from yesterday. Made another high-altitude run that turned into a spin as I descended. I tried to apply spin recovery techniques like NASA PARE and used anti-spin (technically drag) parachutes that I had installed, but neither helped, and I was forced to eject again.

But I had noticed something, which is that it was really hard to figure out which direction to hit the rudder (the R of PARE). I suspected that if I switched to IVA that it might be easier to control, so I went back for another bite at the apple...

And I was right! Made a zoom up and saw that aircraft lose control past about 30,000 meters, just like both previous times (despite tweaking my autopilot settings a bit), and entered a spin as I started to descend. This time, though, I switched to the IVA view and followed PARE procedures. It took descending through 15,000 meters, but I was able to pull out and fly back to base just fine.

Hit 35,731 on that flight. Not bad for the unholy love child of the Viggen, Lightning, XF-103, and F-107! I don't think I'll be able to get any higher without better jets or rockets, and conveniently I'm only a year or two away from unlocking both. Once I do that, I'll make a run at the Karman Line...

I also started work on an orbital rocket once I finally unlocked Early Orbital Rockets. Built one with 9,000+ m/s of vacuum delta-V, but messed up the dogleg procedure to get around Sri Lanka on a polar orbit (I want to grab the rest of the low space science available) and only put myself into a flat suborbital trajectory. Fortunately, that was just a simulation, so I'll just keep going at it until I succeed or prove I need an extra delta-V boost.

24 minutes ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

Last night my first non-atmospheric planet/non-Kerbin SOI lander arrived at Dres, where it was shocked to discover the required dV for orbital insertion was 3300 m/s-  the transfer stage was burned completely of fuel & mono-prop, then the lander had to use half of its fuel to make orbit.  With the mini-sat successfully released, there was no reason not to try a landing, and so by a hair's breadth it made touch-down, with only 0.27 units of LF aboard.

An exultation moment was had.

So now it's known as "Dres Base Alpha" ?

21 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

So now it's known as "Dres Base Alpha" ?

Heh. No, I should have been more clear- it was simply a probe.  I will not send a Kerbal out of Kerbin's SOI without flying the mission successfully unmanned twice.  All of my casualties have been in recovery on Kerbin, I do not want to lose anyone "away from home."

Did some temperature scans on minmus with one of my first rovers (it has been on minmus many years now), with those new misions is possible to use old rovers and make some funds. 

Zwu4SwQ.png

Also i used a probe to move my spacial station to an orbit around 73000 kilomoters above jerbin so my SSTO can get to it. i caught a glimpse of an eclipse before doing it 

BreSLq0.png 

5 hours ago, maccollo said:

It uses the monoprop engines to boost the TWR to 3, so It has no problem getting back up again. With decent piloting it can make it back to Kerbin.

It was not so much the TWR I was worried about (Duna's thin atmosphere and low gravity makes for a relatively easy escape) but the amount of fuel you have remaining.  You seemed to have so little left over by the time you touched down that I was not certain it would be enough to regain orbit.  

57 minutes ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

Heh. No, I should have been more clear- it was simply a probe.  I will not send a Kerbal out of Kerbin's SOI without flying the mission successfully unmanned twice.  All of my casualties have been in recovery on Kerbin, I do not want to lose anyone "away from home."

I follow a similar philosophy.  Since I play it unmodded, I want to get a good "feel" for landing and delta-v requirements for missions on unfamiliar celestial bodies before trying a Kerbaled mission there.  Plus probes are good for some transmitted science which helps me unlock new parts so I am better equipped for future missions to that place.  

Edited by Fearless Son

I had no choice but to call it the Plesiosaur: 

1933271_10100553387284679_49889579857998

A mostly goofy build that evolved from a serious attempt at a spaceplane (a distant evolutionary relative, mind you). It took off fine (surprisingly), but maxed out a little over 10km altitude on jet mode. Rocket mode got me higher, but still nowhere near orbit.

12374891_10100553387289669_3647193153282

Out of curiosity I tried a ramjet instead of the RAPIER just to see what kind of acceleration that could give me. Encouraged, I loaded it with a "swivel" rocket and a decouple-able ramjet. It looks horribly tailheavy, but flew fine.

1916891_10100553392319589_50530467719294

Plesiosaur Mk. 2 managed to achieve orbit, but can't really claim to be capable of much once there. I may play with it a bit tomorrow.

883934_10100553394360499_358992562609246

Meeting some friends far, far away!

I just landed my second Duna Mission System, the Sience/ Ore Truck. I must be carefull here, the only four star engineer is actually Bill (EDIT: Nope, he has three actually :0.0:, Doodock has four, still in orbit :rolleyes:, pheeew), he landed with Jebediah some days ago the large ISRU Base, together with the Fueltruck in one go.
Landing on Duna became a bit easyer since 1.0, or maybe powered landing systems are much better than parachutes only.
(We need nearly three times the amount of chutes compared to Kerbins atrmosphere for the same drag value...)

In orbit is still one descender left, a real nice atmoshperic "flight" capable lander in bell shape.
Makes me wonder if i can match the base, the rover was only 1.5 km off, a miracle somehow :).

Bad thing here is the poor ore concentration, but maybe i can hover the base up the plateau, there should be some moar more.

t8CQFqq.png

Edited by Mikki
tell, spell, typos and whole shebang:D, Bills cap

Two things today. My Duna 6 challenge craft landed on Ike and my intrepid Eve explorers had to be saved from a small fuel miscalculation. (Not enough to get into orbit of Kerbin, by a long shot.)

gMiavhT.pngA claw equipped fuel carrier was dispatched to intercept and refuel the Eve Explorer.

vJtlRRW.pngTopped up the tanks so the ship could make a last minute capture burn.

iih1x5M.pngOn their way home with 3000 science and (now) three 4 star kerbals.

So far today:

After updating my install to be stable in directX (openGL giving too much graphical lag), I set out to restart my interstellar campaign mimic.

After a good start for some cheap science, I needed the funds to launch my first Remote Tech home network (I play with just the space port as RT base). So I went out to do some atmospheric research.

Now, I've only been playing with Ferram for a short while, and manage to get some clean orbits and de-orbits. Flying.. well thats another matter. After some crashed prototypes, I got myself a nice and small research plane. Managed to roll it on the runway, and killed Jeb when he got out to EVA.. Turns out he squeezed himself under the plane and died.

Attempt 2 went great, managed to do 2 successive missions with a clean landing in both.

Next up:

RT Keostationary network.

Started work on my first ever 10m part scale... OK, actually 10.1m. ;)  These are only partially started, but the engine is closer to finished than the tank is. The tank just has some color slapped on and still has a lot of modeling work to do. But I suspect that it's absolutely impossible to figure out what this is at this stage (so to speak). ;)

KSP%202015-12-29%2000-06-17-77.jpg

KSP%202015-12-28%2021-03-09-18.jpg

Last night I have launched a target vehicle for docking contract. After that I did some science digging around KSC because I didn't have RCS thrusters unlocked to put them on the craft that will come and dock with this craft

TU9FZaQ.png

Edited by Cuky

I just finished designing a working bearing using the micro landing legs. Now I just need to make the other pieces... :wink: Game crashed so I'll work on it again later, maybe post screenshots.

Edit: 

I'm using hacked gravity for the tests because this thing is meant for microgravity. In the end, there will be 27 different, dockable sections. The design shown in those pics was probably about 350 parts, and it'll probably end up over 600. KSP is struggling to load it, and it's crashing frequently, but I think I'll be able to do it.

Edited by cubinator
pics

Still cannot hold a candle to basically everything else in this thread, but my adventures in space are nonetheless continuing nicely.  As such, today I did my first successful Mun encounter, and first succesful Mun orbital insertion.  Career mode continues to put interesting strictures in place.  RCS/SAS (and other aids) continue to be some ways away in the tech tree, and I'm staying mod-free.  But I did unlock the node that gave me the "Stayputnik", enabling me to try for the Mun without risking any Kerbals.

ksp_1.jpg

ksp_2.jpg

(Hosting is my own)

Funny story...  I'm actually playing KSP using the Steam controller, and to take screenshots it is Steam-button + right-trigger.  Right-trigger is also 'inc. thrust', so taking that second screenshot *completely* stuffed up my orbit.  Fortunately, I had just enough fuel left to re-circularise it :cool:

Edited by magimix

Productive day. I’ve had Scansat installed for a while but couldn’t figure it out. Today built a satellite loaded with scanning stuff. 250k polar Mun orbit and managed to get maps going. Yeah me. 

Located and landed at my third and final arch. Also set down near Armstrong Memorial, and finally, found the saucer.

Tried to find a monolith. Landed at the correct spot but it was nowhere to be found. It is on or near a plateau in the middle of a crater. Is that one still there in 1.0.5.?  

I just spend the last hour and a half installing RO and several other mods...  With CKAN.  I'll probably be waiting for it to load for the next hour...

According to KSP AVC, I have 29 add ons.  I think it's more.  I'm also going through the 'oh crap I forgot that mod while KSP is loading up'

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, magimix said:

Funny story...  I'm actually playing KSP using the Steam controller, and to take screenshots it is Steam-button + right-trigger.  Right-trigger is also 'inc. thrust', so taking that second screenshot *completely* stuffed up my orbit.  Fortunately, I had just enough fuel left to re-circularise it :cool:

Use the F1 - key. And look for screenshots in your KSP folder. :)