What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Accidentally accepted two Mun orbit rescue missions instead of just one. Luckily they were in basically identical orbits, and my rescue boats have been carrying Mk1 Crew Cabins for a while (weigh only slightly more than a Mk1 Command Pod, and look much nicer), so I was able to carry off both rescues in a single mission.

Both the derelicts were sitting in 10x12km orbits. What they were doing that low is anybody's guess. :) So I parked in a 50km orbit and dropped down to pick each one out. Here's my intercept for the second rescue.

B9LavBG.png

One downside of using the Crew Cabin is that it doesn't have an external door. Getting two kerbals in requires the pilot go on EVA. Some slightly annoying shuffling.

hYrJ9Hz.png

After those rescues, I had enough dV to carry out some Mun observations before heading home, completing three contracts and netting over 500k funds for the trip.

I finally got back to KSP today after a week-long forced hiatus while I visited my relatives.
I sent my survey probe from Kerbin to Minmus, where it'll be a lot more useful (xD); did a few contracts to accrue funds for my planned Minmus base; and retrieved a few craft that were floating around Kerbin with no fuel, bringing them to my ad-hoc fuel station comprised of leftover tanks from Kidonia.

13 hours ago, cubinator said:

I just finished designing a working bearing using the micro landing legs. Now I just need to make the other pieces... :wink: Game crashed so I'll work on it again later, maybe post screenshots.

Edit: 

I'm using hacked gravity for the tests because this thing is meant for microgravity. In the end, there will be 27 different, dockable sections. The design shown in those pics was probably about 350 parts, and it'll probably end up over 600. KSP is struggling to load it, and it's crashing frequently, but I think I'll be able to do it.

Use mods like B9 Aerospace, it has some big pannels you can use for that kind of structure, and Infernal Robotics (the model rework) now has a propper working bearing that comes in 2 pieces ;)

With the next step of my Gemini program, I launched the Tartarus-Lifter from Kourou...

j8oaDxQ.jpg

Deploying the Agena docking-target vessel in low Earth orbit...

8OkjdB1.jpg

Shortly afterwards, Terri and Danny arrived with their Gemini OS Ship and had their rendezvous with the training target...

Ve3Cpyt.jpg

They executed the first docking maneuver in space and tested the connection strength with several orbit-changing maneuvers...

TusIhlC.jpg

In other news,... a Clipper class lifter launched into orbit...

Kt7TKX9.jpg

Hauling a surveyor class probe into space...

60LoTgE.jpg

The probe left the Earth behind...

unuwWmT.jpg

And entered orbit around the Moon. The lander probe was split off...

lPMxxVN.jpg

And descended towards the surface...

kuSzTsj.png

After the first successful unmanned Moon landing, it sent loads of scientific data back to Earth...

AqhnZeu.jpg

Edited by TrooperCooper

Today saw the launch of KSS Astute, the first ship built to leave Kerbin's atmosphere and never return. She's currently in orbit around Moho on her space-trials. She'll be returning to Kerbin orbit soon for repairs as Benjamen Kerman had a mishap on EVA and managed to break off two of the ship's solar panels...with his face.

5 hours ago, PCanas said:

Use mods like B9 Aerospace, it has some big pannels you can use for that kind of structure, and Infernal Robotics (the model rework) now has a propper working bearing that comes in 2 pieces ;)

Pfft. Making things easier? Nah. The whole point is to build the entire machine using only what is provided by the stock game (except some beautiful sunsets and stuff). I know there are mods for it, but the fun lies in making something KSP was never even supposed to be able to do. 

Last night, my wife flew her first rocket! :D

She's hated this game ever since I bought it, but recently she bought herself the new Sims, so she's in a gaming mood lately. Plus I gave myself a HOTAS joystick for birthday, and she was curious about it.

I was absolutely surprised when she asked me to fly a rocket.

I created a Sandbox, showed her what each building was, loaded Kerbal X in the VAB and explained staging, explained SAS and where it was on the joystick, and off she went! She flipped a few times, but in her third or fourth flight she had 90k Ap and a fair ammound of lateral speed. Unfortunately, he couldn't aim it properly when nearing Ap, didn't burn properly, and plunged back down, burning nose-first in the atmosphere (eh, I just installed Deadly ReEntry after a long time not playing with it, she'd probably survive fine without it).

Then she was bored and asked to "play pew-pew-pew with the joystick", so I loaded up Strike Vector, which a friend had shared over Steam and I only played once. She had fun, but didn't do much better :sticktongue:

All in all, I was happy and proud. She accepted the game, and was fairly good at it on her first try.

Edited by monstah

39 minutes ago, Kerbol Macrosystems said:

I would love to see how this setup flies.

Quickly. ;)

16 minutes ago, monstah said:

Last night, my wife flew her first rocket! :D

~snip~

All in all, I was happy and proud. She accepted the game, and was fairly good at it on her first try.

You should've introduced her to Valentina, and explained how she wasn't quite as good as the original three.

Either you wife would've hit you, or dove in to prove you wrong. (or rolled her eyes and done nothing)

Edited by Randazzo

In the early days, before rockets, the Kerbals had a plan to use giant catherine's wheels as a space vehicle. This was an early version, powered by sixteen radial engines:

screenshot61_zpsuueg1hax.jpg

It was only after the discovery that the higher you go, the less air there is, that they decided to repurpose the plan. Using parts from the old program, they designed a vehicle to act as both a centrifuge for pilot testing and a reentry practice vehicle. It flies up until it can climb no more, then it releases its engines, crew pods, and the central body. which all parachute down gently. Some  parts may not be equipped with parachutes (such as wing segments). I'd stay in my bunker on practice days if I were you. :rolleyes:

screenshot48_zpsgqhsgihn.jpg

Footnote: the above vehicle did not reach more than 4,000 meters altitude, but I have used pulse jets (24 of 'em) to power one like the first to over 14,000m. The above configurations are remarkably stable. The one that went over 14,000 m did not start noticeably precessing until it was over 12,000 meters.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

9 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

You should've introduced her to Valentina, and explained how she wasn't quite as good as the original three.

Either you wife would've hit you, or dove in to prove you wrong. (or rolled her eyes and done nothing)

FYI, it was Val who almost made it. Jeb just exploded like it was 1999 :P

Monoliths on Mun day - or how I managed to litter an entire moon in a single day.

Monolith 1 was near the equator. I totally missed it on my first attempt. Figured out how to use BTDT in Scansat and landed much closer the second time. Still had to search a while for the booger.

Monolith 2 is way up north. I had never noticed before how the Mun looks dented around this area. I thought it made for the most beautiful vistas on Mun.

Monolith 3 is much harder. The first attempt, let's just say did not go well. Second time nailed it. What I put on the flag plaque - "Holy Crap, what a ride". I seriously thought I was going into the mohole. 

Ended the day trying to land at the North Pole. Note to self - close is better. The picture is really dark, but the explosions started way up high. I caught the last one to remember Bob.

My set of exploratory probes has finally reached the Duna system. Successfully aerocaptured into an eliptical orbit with periapsis just above the atmosphere and apoapsis just inside Ike's orbit. Then, decouple the individual landers and put them down. The first one is safely down on Ike and the second on Duna. Rovers deployed and ready to explore. The other two remain in orbit, to be landed on Duna later.

The "Wheezy" engine has reversible thrust.

Upon examining the new plane, Bill Kerman spotted something wrong. "They built the $#%^ thing backwards! That's an intake on the aft end, where the the Wheesley's supposed to go. The Wheesley is at the front. It might be able to fly, if you engage the thrust reversers."

"That's all I needed to hear" said Jebediah, strapping on his helmet.

BackwardsPlane%201_zpsaatro6ku.jpg

BackwardsPlane%202_zpsv7p1sier.jpg

BackwardsPlane%203_zpszyjelqwe.jpg

BackwardsPlane%204_zpsmcccoevg.jpg

Actually, it flies pretty well, except that the faster you go, the less air the engine can get. I haven't tested it fully, as I was so amused that it flew at all, that I had to share.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

33 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

The "Wheezy" engine has reversible thrust.

Upon examining the new plane, Bill Kerman spotted something wrong. "They built the $#%^ thing backwards! That's an intake on the aft end, where the the Wheesley's supposed to go. The Wheesley is at the front. It might be able to fly, if you engage the thrust reversers."

"That's all I needed to hear" said Jebediah, strapping on his helmet.

BackwardsPlane%201_zpsaatro6ku.jpg

BackwardsPlane%202_zpsv7p1sier.jpg

BackwardsPlane%203_zpszyjelqwe.jpg

BackwardsPlane%204_zpsmcccoevg.jpg

Actually, it flies pretty well, except that the faster you go, the less air the engine can get. I haven't tested it fully, as I was so amused that it flew at all, that I had to share.

Try a radial intake.