What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Just started a new game (sandbox mode) to test my "Duna Explorer" concept. Since this is was just a first quick shot, kind of a "proof-of-concept" mission, I didn' bother to try to land on Duna. In fact, I didn't even attach parachutes to the lander. More important, as seen in the image below, was to make sure the spacecraft gets to Duna and will be able to land on Ike for ISRU purposes. Works quite well, needs some fine tuning. The design of the lander was inspired by various posts here on these forums.

screenshot33.png

Edited by lodger

12 hours ago, Proteus said:

didnt played ksp for a couple of days,now that i got some time,i decided to continue my polta mission.took the lander from "fat boy" and landed on polta

Spoiler

ev77ee.png29dg0h.png

group picture for the good old days16lfrja.png

went for another biome 20fdd08.png2u7p1mc.png2h4xfa1.png

found good base location,mission completed!:wink: o7

214qemq.png

jeb doing last time eva in the orbit of polta

inqq3b.png

mother kerbin calls us home,its time to go back!

qqeusz.pngqox6xx.png2guefx3.pngb6q5p0.pngnx3xg9.pngeimlhf.png684kqp.png2qsszk9.png

Oh, man. That looks so much like the ship from Spielberg's E.T. Phone home, baby, PHONE HOME!

Just another day of tourist joyrides.  This time, Reaction Systems wanted to see if all Kerbals enjoy weightlessness, so they sent Maxbella and Anwise Kerman over to each take an orbital trip around Kerbin.  Maxbella Kerman had a great time on orbit, though she didn't like the ascent or final part of the descent.  Anwise Kerman was terrified on the way up, and only slightly amused while in zero G.  I think he just wanted the whole thing to be over.  It probably didn't help that the two trips were remotely piloted using a probe core. 

"What do you mean, Jeb's going to stay on the ground?  He's not riding with me?" 

"Um, yeah... Jeb's got more sense than that.  Have fun up there!"

Another tourist... another reentry... this time with Mun and Minmus in the background.

AESPPfB.jpg

Edited by PnDB
... helps if I actually include the image, doesn't it.

Launched an interplanetary mission that was supposed to orbit Venus. Stole the upper stage from another launcher for ejection and insertion burn.

As it turns out, hydrogen doesn't like being stored in its tank for too long.. I guess it's just a flyby then...

Edited by Gaarst
Using the wrong words...

10 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I tried to go to the Mun, but I ended up crashing on it since I hit the night side, and I couldn't see. :D

That's happened to me way too many times.  It even happened while filming a cinematic.  I'm glad I quicksaved, and ran over to get hyper edit.

8 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

That's happened to me way too many times.  It even happened while filming a cinematic.  I'm glad I quicksaved, and ran over to get hyper edit.

Yeah, I tried slowing down WAY too late, and ended up hitting the surface at 550-600 m/s.

4 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Yeah, I tried slowing down WAY too late, and ended up hitting the surface at 550-600 m/s.

Yep.  That's what happens, or your velocity becomes positive when you have it automatically pointing to retrograde...  Flip, flip, flip.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Yep.  That's what happens, or your velocity becomes positive when you have it automatically pointing to retrograde...  Flip, flip, flip.

It made a nice explosion though, it's funny, because in those last moments before I crashed, I saw the surface of the Mun and went $#!!!!!!!t, This is gonna crash! In my head

Didn't stop me from trying though.

Just now, Spaceception said:

It made a nice explosion though, it's funny, because in those last moments before I crashed, I saw the surface of the Mun and went $#!!!!!!!t, This is gonna crash! In my head

Didn't stop me from trying though.

That's why I don't just make the burn at apoapsis now.  I do it on the night side, so I land on the day side.  I'm sorry, I'm at 25 likes...

1 minute ago, CliftonM said:

That's why I don't just make the burn at apoapsis now.  I do it on the night side, so I land on the day side.  I'm sorry, I'm at 25 likes...

Same:P Also, I thought I was going to land on the day side, but my orbit went the opposite I thought it was going, and I ended up landing on the night side instead.

Today I revisited the parachuteless reentry and I met with success. I also just remembered that I downloaded Kerbal Joint Reinforcement before I did this, so there may be some correlation. ;)

Beauty shot upon reaching the atmosphere.
NoChute2%203_zpsf1vyi1te.jpg

About to bounce.

NoChute2%202_zpsdqp53mam.jpg

Boing?!? No explosion?

NoChute2%204_zps0h9jnqld.jpg

And he sticks the landing. Next time? Manned.

NoChute2%201_zps7lijqry2.jpg

Edited by SSgt Baloo

I lack pictures of it, but, I did a third phase test of my gantry class shuttle. its still on orbit with its test payload that i flew a few dozen meters out from the cargo bay and then returned the payload to it. waiting to do third phase landing test until the morrow.

A burst of activity at Jolly Rogaaaaaah Inc, Orbcam 3 was deployed tasked with observing distant galaxies. Possibly for upload to ratemygalaxy.com.

screenshot203_zpsbrt7yxtn.png

And testing of the KarGo system took place.

screenshot118_zpskce9zmnr.png

The initial test went so well the crew exceeded their orders and continued to Minmus and made a successful landing. Celebrations at HQ were cut short by an irate radio call informing them the test vehicle lacked a radio transmitter and the ability to return to Kerbin. And not only were they the last two pilots at space centre but they both had dates at the weekend......

Whilst the flight crew stood on the flats with their thumbs out the engineers hired a 12 year old to program their flight computers (and set up their VCR). The development continued with mixed results.

screenshot172_zpsjwrczamd.png

screenshot186_zpskgunk2pp.png

Before settling on Deliverance Mk2 (minus the erratic plonkinator system).

screenshot196_zpspfhohgrn.png

screenshot198_zpsbwqehbyb.pngscreenshot199_zpsc6e0fge0.png

screenshot200_zpsajvuq1wi.png

The delivery system being a one way deal will be used as a parts source (and possible bowling alley) before the remains are "explosively terminated".

With their mail sorted the engineers began looking for the highest local concentration of ore. In the opposite direction to the two gesticulating pilots......

screenshot202_zpswbflupwq.png

8 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

No no no Bill an Bob Kerman wern't amused , an it took ages to clean the capsule afterwards , Video was funy though watching it spin in circles very very fast :lol:

-snip-

Reminds me of an old gif I made...

K3BNPUD.gif

(In case you're curious: Landing legs, small LF tank, IR freespinning port thing (forgot the exact name), Tweakscaled jet engines, tweakscaled wings... was trying to make a helicopter rotor... could lift off at full throttle, but was very difficult to control.  I did eventually make a prop-plane that used a similar system.  The engines were tilted to provide an adequate amount of forward thrust on top of spinning the blades, so I could actually fly)

NX8zvqK.jpg

Edited by Slam_Jones