What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

So since KSP tells me "Nope!" for prop plane (or Firespitter leaking memory; which is more probable), I decided to concentrate on my Vall Exploration.

I already had my Tharsis vehicle with 3 crew in orbit of Duna so I sent it to Vall.
At the same time, I got my rover designed... An Ion craft with a nuclear reactor and 6 crates of 12.5k Xenon.  Launched it, barely made it with available d-V
(Note: IMPOSSIBLE to aero-break in 1.05 around Jool/Laythe, everytime I tried it lasts 3 sec and BOOM... very annoying and cost me a whole damn lot of Delta-V I did not want to spend, thankfully I had lots to spare).

But I made landing and explored Vall a bit.  The vehicle is heavy but stable, can go to 60 m/s no problem but has a hard time breaking... Lots of explosions ensues...  It's a charm to drive tho.
It can sit on medium plane landing gear (more durable, especially for high-speed, but more susceptible to loss of control) or an 8-motricity rugged wheel which has a tendency for flat tires and stuff, but much more stable (especially in the 10-20 m/s range), it does great to climb heavy slopes (> 12,5 degrees, which the Ion cannot handle if I don't have any speed built-up).   Also, when the Reactor or Xenon runs dry, it can still operate on the rugged wheels thanks to 2 RTGs stashed on the undercarriage.  Full suite of (stock) science experiments for my 1.1 career game eventually.

Here it is, the Vall Explorer :

kQk8Agr.gif

GeC85ZU.gif

YTkAyVD.gif

On 1/14/2016 at 11:04 PM, Tfin said:

They're linked from another site, like photobucket.

Today, Val earned herself a vacation by finally rescuing a pilot, Thompfel, from LKO. Besides being our second active pilot, Thom will be taking over operation of his former employer, Jeb's Junkyard & Spaceship Parts, following Jeb's untimely demise in a tragic Tourist rocket incident.

screenshot13_zpsoqixfu5x.png

This craft was a bit over-built. It surely didn't need the inline balute, and could have done with half the fuel or less on this stage, but capturing a capsule without any RCS was enough of a challenge that we needed to be cautious. Fortunately, following this mission we were able to upgrade our facilities and invest in some vital research. Hopefully future rockets won't be built of aircraft parts without more reason than "it's what fits."

yeah i have had about 26 jeb replacements my only requirement is that they laugh when i blow stuff up

27 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Planning a trip to the Mun in my Career Mode. :D

<SNIP>

Also, there is a easter egg hidden in the picture. I'll give a hint, it's in the name of the rocket. ;)

The 'f's are giraffes in the word giraffe.

Gorilla has legs.

Lynx has a tail...

1 hour ago, CliftonM said:

The 'f's are giraffes in the word giraffe.

Gorilla has legs.

Lynx has a tail...

Eagle has a beak as well, but those aren't it. I said the name of the rocket (which is the name on the side) not the module names. ;)

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Is it pi?

...I don't get it. ._.

Sandbox mode - my rover design save (SMS Automotive). Sent a rover to the mun. Then I wanted to drive it, so I sent its designer, Bill, to the the mun. Then I felt bad for Bill and had Jeb pilot a habitiation base and land it nearby.

All in all, a good test of the equipment. It's been a while since I did a mun landing, never mind three to the same spot in one sitting.

Edited by moogoob

Still trying out mods for a 1.0.5 career, planning on trying the Apollo Applications Program challenge. Since that challenge penalizes autopilot use I've finally decided to try writing my own guidance software with kOS. Been meaning to do that for a while but never quite got around to it till AAP gave me a good excuse. After some suborbital experiments and a lot of reverts, I managed to launch a rocket into orbit, perform some maneuvers, and return using only kOS scripts and stock SAS.

Je9WguP.jpg?1

Ascent. I'm trying to do this without throttling the engines below 100%. Not really necessary in stock, even with Real Fuels, but I'd like to try out RSS/RO one of these days and I understand a lot of those engines aren't throttleable. So this rocket uses a kerolox-fueled KW Vesta for a first stage engine and some SRBs to get it through the first part of the ascent.

RGWzdLl.jpg?1

A minute or so into the flight and we've burned enough fuel and left enough atmosphere behind for the Vesta to get us most of the rest of the way by itself.

D0ZIsK6.jpg?1

The first stage engine automatically shuts down when apoapsis hits 100 kilometers. We're almost in orbit at this point, the second stage (really just a service module) only needs 100 m/s or so to circularize. The whole ascent and circularization is done without restarting any engines or going below 100% throttle.

eLEXyHy.jpg?1

Circularizing. I haven't written a good program yet for computing the circularization burn, so right now it basically just guesses when it should start the engine. The ship ended up in a 114 x 90 kilometer orbit, then performed several more burns with the service module engine and RCS before deorbiting and landing normally. kOS is also helpful with Real Fuels; my maneuver node script automatically fires the RCS to settle the propellants before trying to ignite the main engine.

13 hours ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Planning a trip to the Mun in my Career Mode. :D

8KP1T35.png

Also, there is a easter egg hidden in the picture. I'll give a hint, it's in the name of the rocket. ;)

Excelent! 
How print you the rocket?
Edited by Quijote

The second ore tank arrived on Minmus, to Bill's dismay during his "alone time" with something called MechVal.... Like the trooper he is he buckled down and managed get everything erect and plugged in before sunrise. Snh snh snh.

screenshot223_zpstwm6djhy.png

screenshot227_zpsxalqpimw.png

Hopes of bringing the facility into "mode usefulness" received a blow when it was revealed no-one had yet even built a prototype ISRU to plug in the end. A sudden burst of inspiration meant a couple of engineers took a ride out to the old mining ship meaning to try and land it near enough as a stopgap. What they found was a shredded flag with a note attached saying "nice ship, we'll take it".

Turns out the two forgotten pilots from the KarGo test mission had used it to get back to Kerbin. Their plan received a blow when they noticed a severe lack of parachutes and other re-entry facilitators. Initial hopes of getting back before their dates forgot about them dashed they opted to transfer to Hotel station where the amenities are slightly nicer.

screenshot226_zpsitldgvrl.png

They are currently holding up placards at the windows demanding someone come and get them or they will unleash electric death on the cowering citizens below. Or crippling all communications. Or summoning a giant space goat Or flushing the toilet directly above KSC. All work has been halted whilst the scientists try to work out if any of this is likely to get noticed by the media.

Built my first lander including a rover. Went to Minmus with Jeremiah and Catphia, and all was going fine until I realised that my design was complete disaster.

• Command module (capacity of 3 kerbals) was on orbit waiting for us
  • Mk1 module initially carried Jeremiah, Catphia landed on the rover's seat
  • After all the science experiments were done, I realised my ship only had space to return 1 kerbal to the command module!!

So I had to send Catphia back to orbit, while a sad Jeremiah stayed on the rover (see picture bellow), patiently waiting for the automated return of the ship.

The mission was a success, and all kerbals returned home safely. Thankfully I had tons of additional Delta-V as the whole thing was planned for Duna. But I can only imagine Jeremiah's joyful face when the ship landed again in Minmus, a mere 300m away from him. He was saved!

2016-01-24_00011.jpg 

I "finished" my Minmus mining base!

I have never done any mining before so I am kind of learning as I go along.

It consists of 3 modules so far. The mining module itself is the core and it defined the frame that I am going to base the next modules on (vertical 2x2 structural plates with medium rover wheels and landing gear).

The hardest part was the solar panel tower, which came with another launch and had to be landed on top of the mining module. It seems a bit over the top for 6 miners but I wanted it to be able to run around the clock and I do not have access to the large fuel cells yet so i had to go with a ton of solar panels and a ton of batteries.

Landing the tower on top of the mining module was an absolute pain in the ... but I got it in the  end and learned a lot about about controlling RCS and main engines at the same time. The top of the tower was attached to the bottom of the sky crane in the background with a single docking port, so you can imagine how wobbly it was. 

Another problem with the tower is that during the middle of the day, the top solar panels block the lower ones so only 2 out of 10 panels are actually generating power during those hours because my mining site is practically on the equator. I did realize this while testing on Kerbin and built a version where the panels are placed like steps on a circular staircase to avoid this issue. I only just noticed that it was the wrong version when I was landing it on the miner, and there is no way I am going to do that again.

Fortunately I am only sending one module at a time, so the next module I add can cover for the previous modules´ shortcomings, so I added some solar panels and a TON of batteries on the refining rig when I brought that in. When I built the refinery module i decided to attach the batteries on the fuel and RCS storage tanks, which seemed like a great idea. It was, but the genious here sort of overdid it by... covering the tanks completely in batteries. So here I am with a ton of electric power capacity and a bunch of fuel tanks that are super super hard to acces... Great.

But the whole setup is functional and can run the 6 miners around the clock, which is what I was aiming for. It must have taken me 12-15 hours to do this but I am very satisfied with the result.

Next step is building the hauler to take the fuel into minmus orbit, but I will be using KAS for that, so it should be fairly easy.