What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I really wish there was a way to deploy a fairing while in space, for use as a reentry aid. They're good for decelerating fast without overheating, and they can give you a bit of control over your path downrange. Still experimenting with ways to get them airborne. This version is called "Weather Balloon".

Launching from water, so the balloon framework will not land on (and destroy) the launch pad, like happened the first time I tried this. ;)
WeatherBaloon%201_zpso41b62hd.jpg

Liftoff! Well, it will be in a bit.
WeatherBaloon%202_zpsbkievo5z.jpg

Free of the water. Good thing Bill brought a book. This may take some time.

WeatherBaloon%204_zpsi8bbdnn2.jpg

In case anyone is curious how everything is tied together.

WeatherBaloon%205_zpsuxe1j4mu.jpg

Just about to pop...

WeatherBaloon%206_zpsoocu04sv.jpg

See? Tolja!
WeatherBaloon%207_zpsfjvivcqq.jpg

Light that candle!
WeatherBaloon%208_zpslmtkkkyb.jpg

It got higher than this, but I forget how much because the booster was falling at the same rate as the saucer and I was trying to figure out how to get away from it without damaging anything. Maybe sepratrons, next time?
WeatherBaloon%209_zpsgqfrwlmc.jpg

Coming down! Gangway!
WeatherBaloon%2010_zpsw8onxcdi.jpg

Hitting the silk.
WeatherBaloon%2011_zpsjv1bh7xc.jpg

Brace for impact!
WeatherBaloon%2012_zpseauprxkx.jpg

Well. That wasn't bad, now was it? Note that I have deleted the landing gear as the heat shield floats well on water, and is unlikely to slide down a hill that isn't very nearly a cliff, anyway.

WeatherBaloon%2013_zps2yfsyf14.jpg

Not today, but in the past week, my 64K realhumans went on a very short anomaly hunt. I had to do a lot of tweaking due to what seem to have been mod conflicts with heating, aero, etc., and I didn't re-take all the screenshots on every attempt, so this is a composite, but it does reflect how the final mission went down.

28 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Not today, but in the past week, my 64K realhumans went on a very short anomaly hunt. I had to do a lot of tweaking due to what seem to have been mod conflicts with heating, aero, etc., and I didn't re-take all the screenshots on every attempt, so this is a composite, but it does reflect how the final mission went down.

Hmm, now that's interesting. On my 64k setup, KSC2 is at the bottom of an enormous hole in the ground. Are you using the height tweaked terrain configs? What altitude is the ground there for you?

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

57 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hmm, now that's interesting. On my 64k setup, KSC2 is at the bottom of an enormous hole in the ground. Are you using the height tweaked terrain configs? What altitude is the ground there for you?

I'm using whatever's in CKAN, and I don't know whether that includes the tweaks you mention. The buildings are partially submerged, though. The rover's altitude is 423m.

kL6bdLs.jpg

17 hours ago, dangerhamster said:

A slight miscalculation in the weight/available traction ratio meant that even with the fuel transferred to the return unit and sent on its way the tank couldn't be positioned.

screenshot7_zpsda4dzgte.png

The question now is wether to simply stuff an orange tank in a Deliverance mk2 or pull the damm thing into position with a succession of ground winches.

Is that an Infernal Robotics arm you're using to tow?  In which case can you lift with it to transfer some of the weight to the rover to gain traction?

Something like this ought to do the job too, it's using an IR hinge and powered slider thingie with a couple of KIS/KAS electromagnets to lift the tank and drop it on to the loadbed, and IR legs for support. 

dRoZUj3.jpg

Operation Beached Whale swung into action today. Like, totes interrupting Bills fave eppy of Kerbie Shore, like. Although still grumbling he set to with a will removing the docking port (which some idiot put on the wrong way round) and positioning connectors on the stranded fuel tank.

screenshot15_zpsdgd6znbz.png

Netrice brought up Utility one and connected the winch......

screenshot17_zpsmzfezsi9.png

Suffice to say it was a partial success and resulted in Utility one being renamed "The little rover that sort of could". The incident was removed from the official records and filed under "don't do this".

After some thought Netrice emplaced a ground winch powered from the rover whilst Bill checked if he could see his house from here. He couldn't.

screenshot21_zpsjqd4ov1a.png

Slowly the tank was persuaded into position to a background of helpful hints from the control pod along with dire warnings of TV rights being revoked if it hit the solar array or his pod.

screenshot26_zpslocrlfxr.png

Catastrophe failed to occur thanks to careful fingers on the controls and judicious siting of the winch. Gracefully it swung around before coming to rest in the position designated "that'll do 1".

screenshot28_zps3bfar4jn.png

Hard work over it was simple to remove the transport package and plumb in. Job done our intrepid duo took some time out, Bill practiced his going up and coming down again whilst Netrice worked on her parallel parking.

It's just an extending arm Rizzo. The manipulator rover suffered an existence failure earlier but due to not having a ground anchor system even rotating the base (in low grav)caused problems. I was working on a retrofit package but keep forgetting.... That's a very neat solution you have BTW.

Completed a submarine contract. Built a sub like a plane, but with alot of lead weights.

Worked out well. Went down to -780 metres, surfaced and won the contract. :)

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I'm using whatever's in CKAN, and I don't know whether that includes the tweaks you mention. The buildings are partially submerged, though. The rover's altitude is 423m.

kL6bdLs.jpg

Ah, that is it then. A fellow on the 64k thread whose name escapes me ATM made some updated configs to restore some of the bumpiness to Kerbin, the Mün, & Minmus.  The land around my KSC2 is a couple of kilometers ASL.

14 hours ago, GDJ said:

Oh, not much. Just built a deep space probe.

screenshot35_2.pngscreenshot34_3.png

Solar panel mod name plz?

Accepted a contract to expand my Duna Space Station 1. So I built this and sent it to dock and refuel at my LKO gas station. Now its tanks are full and it is waiting for a proper transfer window to Duna. If my calculations are correct, it should bring plenty of fuel for local probe operations.

lWnWh4W.png

Edited by michal.don
had to persuade the image to show... :)

It's been a while since I spent some time in KSP.  But on the weekend I was feeling a bit inspired to build an ISRU ship that could do a grand tour.  I built three different versions, of which the first two had troubles even landing on Mun.  The final version is currently just in orbit around Kerbin but promises to fit the bill nicely.  I will need to refuel it after getting into orbit, but after that it should be good to go.

It features a single Vector engine.  I figured the very high TWR offsets the poor ISP, and since it will refuel itself ISP is not much of a concern.  The ship has a narrow band scanner on it, as well as the asteroid hunting scanner thingy.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-31%20at%202.32.2

I may have gone overboard with the solar panels, but wanted to be able to pull enough juice when out around Eeloo.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-31%20at%202.32.4

There are two little rovers at the bottom, one for joy riding and one that has a surface scanning module.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-31%20at%202.34.0

The nose of the ship has a grabber and two small drills for mining asteroids.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-31%20at%202.34.4

The cargo bay houses this ion probe with the large survey scanner.  Getting it back into the cargo bay will be tricky as it is a snug fit and there is no RCS on the probe itself; but the ship has RCS so the docking operation should be okay.  Plus difficult dockings are one of the things I really like to do.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-31%20at%2010.40.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Solar panel mod name plz?

I'll have a look, but I have all kinds of things shuffled and condensed in my game. It runs far better, but it makes it a pain to find things.

I'll let you know.

-EDIT: Look up the mod "SXT" (stock extensions IIRC). They have the hexagon and triangular structural panels.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/71992-105-sxt-lacks-stock-extension-sxt-24-09dec15kscv3/

Edited by GDJ

After some testing and tweaking, today the latest X4 build of my StratoCoaster Mini-SSTO broke Mach 5, using a single R.A.P.I.E.R. engine running in air-breathing mode... I guess this is close to maximum, as some surfaces get really hot... but the orbital insertion is quite efficient. Updates will follow.

93SIbZ8.png