What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I tried to get a satellite with a resource sensor into Kerbin orbit as I haven't done any mining yet!

I cobbled together a launcher...

2016-02-12_00018%20%28Custom%29.jpg

I managed to get it into orbit, depsite my launcher doing a full, slow, flip at about 30,000m :s

2016-02-12_00021%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Back home.

2016-02-12_00025%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Meanwhile back at T-probe..

2016-02-12_00026%20%28Custom%29.jpg

D'oh! Not nearly enough electricity to do a scan! Engineer Bob, looking back over his calculations, realised some of the zeros on his electric supply formula were actually spilt Cheerios that had got stuck to the paperwork, and we actually only had 200 units of electricity. It looks like he'll bringing in plenty of 'My Bad' cake tomorrow. 

I took some monopropellant for the ride, but no RCS thrusters. Or lights.

I'll be back though!

I also built this thing. I call it the 'Compensator', but be rest assured it isn't Jeb's ride. It's actually a delight to fly, until the cockpit explodes at about 500m/s (heat from the engines I guess?)

2016-02-12_00015%20%28Small%29.jpg

2016-02-12_00011%20%28Small%29.jpg

Edited by Stewcumber

A few pages back I had replicated the "Tharsis" from that dice game.  It was as flimsy as the real thing asking nothing more than to break apart on the easiest of turns (or almost).
I did use it extensively, ferrying crew here and there in the Kerbol System, but I retired it 2 days ago.

I decided to work on it's replacement, combining crew space (9), a full suite of stock science experiments, a Science Lab (not for abusing science but a nice place for the scientist to live and store all experiments), and an improved engine section.
12,500 Delta-V @ 192 THR (0.13 TWR tho... I could have had 17.5K D-V @ 0.03 TWR, but I'm not that crazy), 2 shielded docking ports, 1 Docking Sr, Nuclear Reactor, and the usual utilities including an Ore Scanner.
The Mk1_2 pod + the Hitchhiker features an heatshield and can be decoupled to return to Kerbin, and another one (or RP - the same one) can be brought back-up to re-dock for a crew rotation. 
Now that I think about it, I did not put any remote control on the rest of the ship... Oh well, no biggies, let's hope the main computer does not die or go on a murdering spree.

Very solid, does not wobble, and perfect for long range expeditions (worse case, the 3 docking ports allow for more Xenon tanks for extended range) to future OPM.  Enjoy !

Edited by Francois424

11 minutes ago, Stewcumber said:

I also built this thing. I call it the 'Compensator', but be rest assured it isn't Jeb's ride. It's actually a delight to fly, until the cockpit explodes at about 500m/s (heat from the engines I guess?)

2016-02-12_00015%20%28Small%29.jpg

2016-02-12_00011%20%28Small%29.jpg

Edited 4 minutes ago by Stewcumber

Looks sorta like a podracer, with the big front engines

latest?cb=20111105053817

7 hours ago, hazard-ish said:

I actually did this a few days ago but have only just got round to posting :)

For a recent reddit challenge, I pushed the boat out and went to Tylo and back using one a single fuel tank for the entire mission without any mining or refueling! This mission involved 4 major gravity assists and took a HUGE amount of planning to get right. For those that don't know, Tylo is the hardest place to get to and return from in the game, since it is the size of Kerbin with 80% the gravity and no atmosphere (unlike Laythe) which is why I chose it for my challenge!

This was the reddit challenge that I entered, keep in mind that 'hard mode' was to land on Eve. https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/42foxh/weekly_challenge_week_114_orange_efficiency_ii/

I've spent extra time with this video getting nice camera angles and picking good music to use to make the video more interesting to watch so please check it out! Enjoy! :)

I actually randomly saw this on YouTube the other day.  Well done!  I was glad to see someone proved the "lithobreaking with landing gear on Tylo" hypothesis I had going was valid.  

7 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

I tried to start a sandbox save, but I just couldn't. I can't bring myself to do interplanetary or even Mun missions in sandbox. It doesn't feel right without building orbital ships and such, but then I feel like I'm wasting time. I prefer career, because it sets goals and I feel like I'm advancing and working my way up to something. Does anybody else feel that way?

I call that the "quicksandbox", where you get stuck in all the options.  I much prefer career, where I feel like the practical restrictions force me to be creative.  The limits motivate me to challenge them... 

Today, I derped around on a mk3 SSTO able to haul a certain cylindrical object to LKO.hp2UkR3.jpg

Still requires a lot of work (wing is temporary, dry vs wet CoM is meh and requires a big reaction wheel to compensate, etc.) but it successfully took that orange tank to a 75kmx75km orbit with 160 m/s left...

Speaking of career, I got some things in orbit of Minmus, took like 5 contracts for temperature scans of the Mun (Idk why, good money, but very tedious), and landed a probe on the Mun. Fun fact: Remember to change your navball reading from Orbit to Surface when trying to land. It took me a stupid amount of time and fuel to try and figure out where all the lateral velocity was coming from when my velocity vector gave no indication of that.

I was in the mood to build a small spaceplane, so I did.  

I really like the way this thing looks.  Compared to most spaceplanes, this thing is relatively simple to get to low Kerbin orbit, though its atmospheric control leaves a little to be desired since it tends to flip around somewhat randomly.  Other than that, it controls fine... most of the time.  

12 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

I was in the mood to build a small spaceplane, so I did.  

I really like the way this thing looks.  Compared to most spaceplanes, this thing is relatively simple to get to low Kerbin orbit, though its atmospheric control leaves a little to be desired since it tends to flip around somewhat randomly.  Other than that, it controls fine... most of the time.  

That's an interesting idea, having a fairing as the nosecone. I'll have to try it sometime.

I tried to fly a crew to Mun via direct assent, but I screwed up the insertion burn by warping too much and shot right past it. But that was a blessing in disguise as I was actually able to recover and I ended up landing on Minmus instead.

Then I messed up my approach to that and ended up on the night side of Minmus.

In pitch darkness I found the Lesser Flats. I missed the side of a nice big hill by about 400 meters. And I was able to get data from two biomes in one landing.

And I had enough gas in the tank to still get me home.

I'll give you guys the full details in the mission reports.

Launched another 4 modules for the Mun and sent them off on the trusty tug Canopus, including a redesigned module lander. Remembered to load correctly so I could pull the modules off in the right order and orientation! The old lander had the fuel drained and was de-orbited. Sent a load of kerbals back home from the Mun. Landed the power module. Had to throttle up when I first got near ground as it looked too steep, had to throttle up again after the first actual touch down as it started tipping over and finally got it landed on the next touch down.

LZUCZMs.jpg

Landed the drill modules (used the extra fuel stored in the ISRU base module to refuel for landing the drills), was almost as bad as landing the power module. Had to throttle up to avoid tipping and re-land it. Then went back to Copernicus station (Mun) to refuel.

0rthwW7.jpg

Landed the ISRU with the least trouble of all the modules and got that docked. On the whole I think the reusable module lander would be less troublesome used somewhere more flat.

NG3TIry.jpg

Brought down some more kerbals to plant flags and to get some 1 star engineers in the base.

c2CZ5oU.jpg

The ISRU refuelled the crew lander fairly quickly, while I was doing flag planting with the new crew.  Got ~200k funds for completing a mine ore on the Mun contract. The kerbals that were sent home were transferred to a spaceplane at  Einstein Station in LKO and landed back at KSC. Got more funds since 2 of them were rescues from around the Mun.

More pictures:-

Edited by Bill Zarr
words wrong.

A most remarkable thing occurred yesterday. After doing a reinstall (this time I backed up critical files to restore the game with), I played KSP for hours without crashing.

I woke up this morning, and discovered that my eyebrow muscles had cramped, from the workout that surprise gave them. ;)

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:27 AM, Val said:

But won't the food be worthless when the fridge stops working after 7 days (Electricity) :sticktongue:

Turned out the fridge was the least of their worries.  The station was originally designed for Minmus, then redirected to the Mun at the last minute, but someone at mission control is probably going to get fired for not checking their sums and spotting that a Mun night is a lot longer than a Minmus night.  Some quick thinking from Netrice led her to bring the lander down from orbit and Bill hooked it up the station, the extra batteries mean they only ran out of power about 45 mins before sunrise.  An hour and a quarter earlier and they'd have all frozen to death.

s5y9PSi.png

17-12-15 Got the Game , 13-2-16 finally land on the Mun .

Yer yer I know some of you did that in the first week lol . but for me its something special . Brought up on the Original Apollo Landings , this will be as close as i ever get to the real thing . say Hi to Jeb everyone he's on the Mun an i'm walking on a cloud after this moment

Mun%20Landed.png

Jeb saw a quad copter at Kerb-Mart and being a little short of change decided to build his own out of used aircraft, rocket, and camcorder parts.

In Other News: Interest in space exploration is on the rise as many Kerbals report seeing UFOs hovering over nude beaches.1x3f0fu6.png

Edited by Corscaria
typo