What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

18 hours ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

Well, oddly enough, I've been playing bone-stock (1.02) since I started, and on a laptop that is wholly unsatisfactory for gaming.  I don't know the stats off-hand, but I bought it new & on sale about a year ago for $400, and though it is Very slow, I have had only about 6-7 CTD/Kraken events combined, and from only one of those did I ever lose a single probe.  I can literally play for 12 hours straight 2 days in a row and be shocked if it does glitch.  That is one of the reasons why I have avoided mods of any kind, as the un-modded game is (to me) clearly more trouble-free.

That seems familiar. I run my KSP also on a $500 (approx) laptop, 4 years old, AMD-ASUS, A6/HD7670, widescreen, 17'' and numpad, win7-64. Works great. I did try to run it on my desktop early on but had crashes, so I focused on the laptop. Later, the game has become stable on the desktop as well, but it was weird that it originally ran better on the laptop.

...However: With my Eve mission plans it seems I've finally reached the limit. It involves maneuvering two close-to-1000-parts-rocket ships and it just doesn't work. Too many weird function deficits ruin my checklist. This program is currently on ice.

The main reason, though, I don't use mods, is not stability, but rather that it sets a fixed standard for the challenge I have to overcome. Eventually, I will run mods. It will be when I judge the worthwhile challenge to have been met to saturation point. I'd really like better command pods and wider rocket parts.

Also, I don't do many scene/location changes before restarting the game. I noticed the kraken may make an appearance at the fourth, so I only do three. VAB, Space-center etc don't count. I mean different rocket missions in different parts of space.

I finally made it to Duna!

FJhm2FF.png

Liftoff was a pain in the butt. It took FOREVER to get into orbit.

hclezBF.png

Setting up to get an encounter to Duna.

ug0LL9x.png

Encounter is set now we just need to burn!

ol4l2gq.png

Refining the orbit around Duna...

B2mlt7Y.png

Ike getting in the way again. xD

JSHIgEb.png

Hello Ike!

Nz2e9oh.png

Finally in orbit around Duna! To be continued...

Meanwhile, the Duna rover missions continue. A rover definitely changes your relation to another planet.
There was a discussion of what to do. There were worries about the descent back into the canyon. Also about the approaching night and how tiring a too long drive might eventually become. So it was decided that they would only take a short drive-about on the highlands, no attempt to reach a distant mountain top. Then they would try to find a way down.

screenshot3237j.jpg 

A curved path towards the West was chosen for the descent, since it seemed it would offer a less steep if longer route.

screenshot3241j.jpg

Driving downhill with the rover is not easy. There is a distinct danger of crashing. If such a crash disables the rover, it will be a terribly long walk home. This was well known since testing on Kerbin. But it was felt it could be managed by careful driving. And Lealian drove carefully. No shadow falls on her. But still, during the very long and steep descent crashes couldn't be entirely avoided. Lealian, Danvey and Lindra crashed two times. This, the first, went very well. The rover was undamaged. It took a bit of wriggling with the steering and spinning the wheels to make it fall down on all wheels again. The second crash was more serious, and destroyed the front solar panel. Since it was downhill and they still had the aft panel, that was OK too. 
But crashes are too difficult to completely avoid and Mission Control promptly decided the rover will be redesigned in a close future.

screenshot3254j.jpg

A good thing the decision was made to start the return drive so soon. Because the drive was really long and taxing. And the shadows grew longer and longer. But as sundown approached, they reached the lower slopes. Not too far to go now. They'll likely reach the rocket, Ikaros_G, before nightfall.

screenshot3277j.jpg

Previous parts of this Duna mission on 885, 886 (2 posts), 887, 888 (2 posts).

Edited by Vermil

A little after my rover landing, I decided to be heroic and save a kerbal !

BcgRfJ1.jpg

XQJuu1x.jpg

A5gNXMW.jpg

I had to retry a lot of times because I kept running out of RCS before grabbing it, thus making the vehicle impossible to control.

Poor kerbal...he stayed in that tiny capsule for several days...

Edited by Elowiny

XvP2kqN.png

Testing out Scatterer mjod and modifying its values for 64K.

dScO2Bp.png

NavCam after capture at Jool during Tylo encounter in 64K(legitimate probe mission).

dimLtzL.png

The Tylo capture messed with the orbit just enough to cause the probe to crash into Jool. Maneuvers necessary.

YDlPK1J.png

The Wide Angle Camera snaps a shot of almost the entire Kerbol system(thanks to Distant Object Enhancement). From right to left: Duna, Eve, Kerbin, Moho, Dres, Tylo, laythe, Jool, Bop, Eeloo, Vall.

bsm4fQo.png

Periapsis at 1,600km, velocity 30km/s.

18 hours ago, Munar Faliure said:

After taking a LONG break on KSP I decided to come back to the game!

Since then, I built a horribly inefficient SSTO.

2GjhMId.jpg

Yes, I am aware of the text. I don't know how to get rid of it.:(

What I did is changed the aero overlay to F1 and kept the screenshot on F12. (I play on Steam)

1 hour ago, Elowiny said:

Poor kerbal...he stayed in that tiny capsule for several days...

I'll bet his homecoming gifts included a bar of soap, a washcloth a towel, and advice to stay downwind of everyone else until he used them. A lot! ;)

I finally got the OGS* running properly. The first iteration, it turns out, had the 1.25m docking ports facing the wrong way. Since I couldn't figure out how to get inside the thing to dock, I had to scrap it for a new one, with corrected docking ports (and less awful lighting). The first pair of monoprop-filled orbital tugs/docking port extensions, I delivered with their rocket still attached, but forgot to refill them before dropping them off and deorbiting the main vessel (I like doing reentries, even ones that might not be absolutely necessary ;) ). The second pair I boosted up  to 125 KM, and made them "walk" the rest of the way to 250km by themselves, but I refilled them before sending them off. It seems a bit more fuel efficient not to boost the booster up to the OGS to drop them off, because it uses way more fuel than the tugs do, by themselves.

I still want to send some more tugs up to top off the monopropellant tanks, but this will do for now.

AS-3407_zpsmavdkr7g.jpg

* OGS = Orbital Gas Station.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

I haven't played since .90 (and not that much at the time), so I came back, and installed the entire USI library dispute never having used Life Support before.

After the usual Kerbin related stuff I build a manned mission to Duna.

This monster can hold 3 Kerbals for 2,5 years. On the tip is a 3 stage Duna lander (1 for landing, 2 tiny stages to come back). Yes there are 2 drogue chutes on the bottom of the lander. Yes, that turned out to be a very bad idea

xgYCY7s.jpg

Edited by Sir_Robert

I was going on a Duna mission, and I was wondering why mechjeb was telling me I had 3000 deltaV when I really only had around 1000 or less, which wasn't enough to get to and establish orbit around Duna.

Spoiler

Several reloaded quicksaves later and it turns out I did the staging wrong and I was unknowingly ditching an entire stage, which mind you was probably one of the most important ones besides for the booster.

This isn't necessarily KSP, but it's spacey, so don't judge.

I watched The Martian today. It was pretty good. I read the book before, so I knew what to expect. Kinda surprised by the fact that they left out or glossed over many conflicts.
Here Be Spoilers Down Below. Read at thine own risk.

Spoiler

I'm a bit disappointed they barely discussed getting Pathfinder. And then, they left out the (fairly important) part where Mark murders Pathfinder, removing that tension. Then the rover modifications are hardly explained. Possibly worst of all, they leave out the sandstorm and the rover tip. The sandstorm was probably one of the most tense parts of the whole book, in my opinion. I mean, I know they had a short amount of time they could use, but I didn't feel their focus was in the right spot. Despite this, I felt it was a mostly faithful adaptation, and I enjoyed watching it very much.

Sorry if that's off topic, I barely had KSP time today. If you care enough to want to know what little I did do, I flew some planes around and launched a satellite. The end.

As a part of the ongoing prep work for the Argo Navis Jool mission, I have converted the previous 2-stage Laythe/Tylo rover-carrier lander into a multipurpose modular system.  The lower stage, which now has the majority of the overall dV, has been made a fully separate and reattachable unit, while the upper stage or ascent vehicle has been reworked into a full lander itself:

GUobrMY.png

Laythe version during Hyperedit test.

u7lH4O8.png

Tylo version during Hyperedit test.

There are two versions of the lower stage, one for Laythe and one with more fuel for Tylo.  The central tank is a 5m one from SpaceY, and the landing legs are from Modular Rocket Systems (you may have noticed that pretty much the only mod parts I use are from Necrobones :) ).  I have an action group to decouple the port between the lower and upper stages.

Now instead of having to bring multiple landers to Jool, I only have to carry the crew vehicle/lander and two of the lower stage/rover packages, and possibly a small tug to transport the all-up lander around.  With refueling from the mothership, I'll have the whole Jool system covered.  I'm also going to leave the crew vehicle at my soon-to-emplaced Colchis station and ship some more lower stages over, so the station can continue the Jool survey mission.

Edited by Laguna

3 hours ago, Jolly_Roger said:

I just finished editing and uploading the latest installment of my video series, hope you enjoy it.

JR

Logged in just to tell you how much I liked this movie, and this song. Brings back good vibes from Titan A.E., perhaps the biggest reason why I was drawn to KSP in the first place!
Maybe I'll have to recreate the Valkyrie now...
-Khorso

1 hour ago, Khorso said:

Logged in just to tell you how much I liked this movie, and this song. Brings back good vibes from Titan A.E., perhaps the biggest reason why I was drawn to KSP in the first place!
Maybe I'll have to recreate the Valkyrie now...
-Khorso

Cool!  I've wanted to do a video with this song for a while now.  Glad you like it.

JR

9 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

This isn't necessarily KSP, but it's spacey, so don't judge.

I watched The Martian today. It was pretty good. I read the book before, so I knew what to expect. Kinda surprised by the fact that they left out or glossed over many conflicts.
Here Be Spoilers Down Below. Read at thine own risk.

Hide contents

I'm a bit disappointed they barely discussed getting Pathfinder. And then, they left out the (fairly important) part where Mark murders Pathfinder, removing that tension. Then the rover modifications are hardly explained. Possibly worst of all, they leave out the sandstorm and the rover tip. The sandstorm was probably one of the most tense parts of the whole book, in my opinion. I mean, I know they had a short amount of time they could use, but I didn't feel their focus was in the right spot. Despite this, I felt it was a mostly faithful adaptation, and I enjoyed watching it very much.

Sorry if that's off topic, I barely had KSP time today. If you care enough to want to know what little I did do, I flew some planes around and launched a satellite. The end.

After using RSS in KSP you learn about launch windows. The launch must be carefully timed to occur around the times that the target vehicle's orbital plane intersects the launch site. So if you have a "mother ship AKA Hermes" orbiting the planet you can only launch the MAV at the appropriate launch window. If not you could be thousands of kms away from your target. So in essence an emergency abort system is useless unless the MAV can take you all the way home. Other than that it was pretty good movie haha

Edited by hellblazer