What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4 hours ago, hellblazer said:

After using RSS in KSP you learn about launch windows. The launch must be carefully timed to occur around the times that the target vehicle's orbital plane intersects the launch site. So if you have a "mother ship AKA Hermes" orbiting the planet you can only launch at the appropriate launch window. If not you could be thousands of kms away from your target. So in essence an emergency abort system is useless unless the launch vehicle can take you all the way home. Other than that it was pretty good movie haha

If you're talking about how Hermes was able to get home after leaving much earlier than expected, I agree. One could argue, however, that the ship's ion engines have enough Delta V regardless of when they leave.

See, a few days ago I mentioned in this posting that I suck at building spaceplanes and shuttles. Well, as of today, I suck a little less ... (and *yes* the shuttle pictured below made a smooth landing somewhere in the desert. Desert because I still suck at aiming in on KSC when returning from orbit)

20160218135611-667cdf54-xl.png

Edited by lodger

Was feeling very silly and built this thing which I may eventually try to put in space with crew shuttle/lander and in the main cargo bay. Shape was suppose to be inspired by Sea Quest.  No idea if this would fly (in space, not in atmo) but I was just feeling silly.

plgWmRy.png

Two competing designs have emerged for the lander component of the Duna mission.

screenshot68_zpsd5ppobar.png

The Fizzbomb 1 has the advantage of fuel commonality with the mothership, but the committee feels it may be overspecified in some places and under in others.

screenshot63_zpseggfee8l.png

The Super Bunny made a good impression thanks to its good looks and clever use of the Kaprikorn One film set.

15 hours ago, Laguna said:

u7lH4O8.png

Is this a good way to get a Rover to the Mun? I haven't ever transported a rover outside of Kerbin before and have been thinking about neat ways to do it! Or is it an overly elaborate and complicated way for more advanced players!

Edited by Stewcumber

Today, I decided I need a fuel barge, seeing as how my mining platforms are all either in a polar orbit, or on the poles. I had intended to decouple the nacelles for the final orbital burn, but it turned out unnecessary (and gives me 6 extra engines and more fuel capacity). About the only thing on it that is stock is the RCS nodes. (BZ-52 radial attachment point, FL-A5 adapter, and 12 vernor RCS thrusters arranged radially. The ship carries upto 27.4K liquid fuel, 33.4K of Oxidizer, and 200 monopropellent to refuel ships and stations with. It does have landing skids on the underside, but as I forgot to add the VTOL engines, it'll never land on Mun for refueling like was intended..... No damage on launch... sort of.... seems it shook enough during launch to break all the struts between the large nacelles and the fuselage.... luckily they are robostruts, so a few clicks restrutted them.1Eyd11x1.png

1 hour ago, Stewcumber said:

Is this a good way to get a Rover to the Mun? I haven't ever transported a rover outside of Kerbin before and have been thinking about neat ways to do it! Or is it an overly elaborate and complicated way for more advanced players!

That's actually Tylo. :)

Yup, it's one of two ways I land my rovers, which are all on the large size (no ittty-bitty service/cargo bay-delivered ones for me) and it's just a modified version of the skycrane method, just using a manned lander instead.  Of course, that's a big rover and thus needs a big and wide lander to get it to Laythe/Tylo, but it will work with smaller ones too.  That particular setup leaves the rover behind for future use (it has an RGU probe core), but you can arrange it to have the rover reattach itself to the lander so it isn't left behind, but that method is more difficult.

The other way I use is to make the rovers themselves an all-up SSTO lander. That rover in the picture is the Aerospike variant of one of my smaller rovers, it can actually take off from Eve and do a short hop, thus making it useful for Laythe; it can easily handle a small moon like Minmus or Bop.  I've made bigger ones that can land on and return to orbit from Duna and smaller planets/moons.  The disc tanks (half-height versions of the smallest stock tanks) from Fuel Tanks Plus are great for these, as they aren't tall thus keeping the rover profile low.

Edited by Laguna

- Aah! Gawd!  At last. Home sweet rocket. By nightfall they reach Ikaros_G. They're stiff and exhausted. The general feeling seems to be: "If I never see a rover again..."
Alas, they will soon have to do another expedition. To the basin of the canyon. As far, but maybe easier terrain.

screenshot3290j.jpg 

So they climb up the ladder and into their warm and comfortable rocket. Notice the long shadow.

screenshot3297j.jpg

Danvey secures the stuff and deploys the still functioning solar panel, that it may charge the batteries in the morning. Then he's the last to enter the rocket.

screenshot3307j.jpg

Umm...   Maybe someone should get up and turn off the lights?   ...Danvey?...   - DANVEY...

screenshot3315j.jpg

Previous parts of this Duna mission are on 885, 886 (2 posts), 887, 888 (2 posts), 891.

Edited by Vermil

I took a mission to deploy a satellite into polar orbit...

"Easy money!" he said.

"No problem!" he laughed.

"I just did that on another planet!" he sneered.

Two hours later, I was still gutting my lift platform to entirely rework the fuel flow, because overkill just ain't goo enough...:confused:

I may be a little KSP OCD.

-Jn-

Finally reached the North Pole of Eve.  What a long ride that was.   At first I was looking into Eve's specs, and I notice that it's only 100km more than Kerbin, for 700 km(?).  Yeah, forgot to multiply by 3.14159 to calculate the circumference... then noticed that value is not in the game information on selected planets/moon... why ?  Maybe should be in.  But w/e the trip took me 1350km divided on many 50km stretch on many RL days.  Data gathered from all the experience will be invaluable in future KSP career games !  Here's a few mementos of my trip :

A beautiful Eve sunset.  Just looks amazing with the displays of colors.  I always RP it as an Aurora Borealis hitting the super strong Eve magnetic field.

Akg3pkK.png

Nearing the north Pole... Umm very unusual canyons and quite difficult to navigate.  Kudos to the creator of the rover I am using for making it extremely sturdy. 

56ULeJw.png

You know what?  I better check what the game has in store for me, 10km out from the poles more or less... OUCH, Why do I get the feeling I know where this is going ?

KCO0XLV.png

Okay so after about a gazillion F9 moments, I made it NEAR the pole.  I wanted to get a picture on the edge but quite frankly it's impossible to reach by driving.  Some canyons would just make the rover explode. at other moment I slammed the breaks and phantom/Kraken force would accelerate my rover to insane speeds.  So I turned back to get out of there and it took nearly 90 minutes to do 3-5 kilometers.  If you go there, be careful of the 10km circle around that pointy edge (see above picture).  It's deadly.  If you want a rover challenge, go, do it, but don't come crying back to me afterwards.   So Here I am, near "Eve's Hand" (an Eve-rated "Scott Feather"), almost ready for extraction... but there's 2 last pieces of business before !

LNzqjS9.png

The drone !  We forgot the un-manned plane we landed on Eve.   So we remote-controlled onto it and had to bring it here as well...

6SEEfNv.png

And finally, the North Pole flag...   ...    ...  Umm guys, I said the North Pole Flag ... come on, Mission control are waiting !  You know the one with the flag in the midle of the 3 vehicle with you guys smiling ?

. . .

. . .

. . .

*Small Kerbal Voices*  "Humm, sorry boss the Picture for that one did NOT take, we know we pressed the correct keys to make it happen, but it came out blank !"

. . .

. . .

. . .

*Grumbles, swearing, kicking some rockomax garbage lying around*

-- " Okay, who wanted to go to the Eeloo retirement station again ?"... "Oh the room emptied before I asked..." 

-- Angry Shout -- "JEB !!! Where are you I need to vent you on a suicide mission to Pol with an untested craft !"

Edited by Francois424

3 hours ago, Laguna said:

Yup, it's one of two ways I land my rovers, which are all on the large size (no ittty-bitty service/cargo bay-delivered ones for me) and it's just a modified version of the skycrane method, just using a manned lander instead.  Of course, that's a big rover and thus needs a big and wide lander to get it to Laythe/Tylo, but it will work with smaller ones too.  That particular setup leaves the rover behind for future use (it has an RGU probe core), but you can arrange it to have the rover reattach itself to the lander so it isn't left behind, but that method is more difficult.

Yeah I know it isn't the Mun but I've never delivered a Rover anywhere so I thought I had better start with the Mun!!

Well I shamelessly ripped off took inspiration from your set up and managed to get a rover to the Mun! My launcher took a few tries, following my principle of MOAR PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING to get enough Dv. Even Joedin is looking up at his craft with trepidation rather than his usually eager face.

2016-02-18_00009%20%28Custom%29.jpg

2016-02-18_00015%20%28Custom%29.jpg

2016-02-18_00023%20%28Custom%29.jpg

2016-02-18_00034%20%28Custom%29.jpg

2016-02-18_00045%20%28Custom%29.jpg

I think the low gravity driving will take a bit of getting used to!

Edited by Stewcumber

@Stewcumber, excellent!  This kind of delivery method requires a lot of clearance between the landing legs, so you end using the girders or I-beams to spread the radial tanks apart.

Yup, driving on the Mun for a long distance can be a real pain, thanks to the low gravity and the over-torqued wheels, which are going to be fixed in 1.1 (yay!).  You can't have a lead foot on the accelerator or brakes...so easy to flip out. :)

And I made a smaller single-stage version of that Laythe/Tylo multi-lander, this one for use on Duna and everything smaller:

1IaPL9Q.png

This variant of my workhorse small rover has twin 1.25m Poodles (Tweakscaled) for engines, which are plenty for Duna. The lander uses 1.25m Rhinos.  Not only did I land the rover, I actually managed to redock it to the lander, and brought both craft back to orbit with plenty of fuel in the lander to spare. It took a few tried, but I figured out that you have to reduce the TWR down to as close to 1 as possible (it worked with 1.03) so you're basically hovering, giving time for the port magnets to work...and they did!