What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Xta0Nps.jpgToday I build this nice Minmus research and refueling base

But after a while, adding more structures, the frame rate became worst and worst...  bummer!  (and my new machine can run Fallout 4 at max settings.. :-(  )

Lets hope the next update will help in these sit?

ps.  some nice/funny stuff in this tread!

Cheers all

I really really thought I was going to have a picture to put here today, and I sure as hell tried too. Alas, all of my attempts ended in kaboomboom (BTW I never noticed before that explosion sounds in space are not only an auditory confirmation that you have failed, but also scientifically inaccurate, which just makes the exploding all the more painful.)

6 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

Again... I had to rescue my Kosmonauts after a wing strike bug... this is getting Old too fast... ¬¬"
4fHxQyL.jpg

Awesome chopper design! Really captures the feel of those early flying bananas and other such birdies. Me like.

5 hours ago, Frybert said:

I really really thought I was going to have a picture to put here today, and I sure as hell tried too. Alas, all of my attempts ended in kaboomboom (BTW I never noticed before that explosion sounds in space are not only an auditory confirmation that you have failed, but also scientifically inaccurate, which just makes the exploding all the more painful.)

Scientifically inaccurate, unless you just happen to be inside the exploding ship... Of course the game makes no distinction to which view you happen to be in at the time.

For the most part, I finished my space station.  It's on a 300km orbit around kerbin.  There are a lot of modded parts in there.  Many launches were required, none used Mechjeb.

I also did a grand tour of Kerbin for some $$$ and science while I wait for Jeb and crew of 8 to get to Duna and assemble a similar one of these there before thoroughly exploring Duna and Ike.

12 hours ago, Frybert said:

I like to think the camera is close enough for the sound to be carried by the escaping air. 

18 hours ago, Stewcumber said:

I think the low gravity driving will take a bit of getting used to!

A lot of getting used to.  Your tires will transmit less force to the ground than they are capable of output, due to reduced frictional forces due to reduced gravity holding the tires down.  This makes the surface feel very "slick", and accelerating or decelerating will both take a long time.  Similarly, the frictional coefficient of the tires lateral to their direction is also absurdly high, which means that the likelihood of flipping the rover during a turn is multiplied compared to what it is on Kerbin.  So make sure to over-anticipate how much space you need to speed up or slow down, and make sure to only turn at very low speeds.  Think of it like you were driving over ice.  

Of course, 1.1 is positioned to fix a lot of this when they adjust rover physics a bit (scaling tire output to local gravity, reducing lateral tire friction, etc.)

3 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

A lot of getting used to.  Your tires will transmit less force to the ground than they are capable of output, due to reduced frictional forces due to reduced gravity holding the tires down.  This makes the surface feel very "slick", and accelerating or decelerating will both take a long time.  

But on the plus side it means Lunar J-turns!

On 18/02/2016 at 11:37 PM, Stewcumber said:

**Many pictures of faffing around on the Mun in a rover**

I think the low gravity driving will take a bit of getting used to!

And I thought driving on the Mun was odd. Driving on Minmus is pretty much floating rather than driving- is it meant to be like that?! In any event I'm looking forward to new wheel physics in 1.1!

2016-02-19_00019%20%28Custom%29.jpg

2016-02-19_00023%20%28Custom%29.jpg

2016-02-19_00032%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Edited by Stewcumber

After 3 days of disappointing designs, I finally managed to make a Panther powered Single Stage Spaceplane, that I am happy with.

fgesNEZ.png

It's made with Tech nodes requiring 160 or less to unlock. Transports 5 Kerbals and gets to orbit with 400+ m/s dV. And it looks pretty, too. (craft file)

So I DID send Jeb in an untested craft to Pol yesterday... Skipping right away to the good stuff :

Hovering close to the ground, Apollo-style, looking for a place to land :

NDVUMKk.png

KSC?  The Ion-Delta has Landed !

d9lfGP4.png

Far shot of the flag, Jeb, and Valentina (She insisted to tag along and even tho knowing it might have been a fail mission.  I guess she did not take kindly of not being part of the Eve exploration rover mission),

1OcrkiW.png

Mandatory Close shot :

ChDyftl.png

Final shot before taking off back to the orbiting fuel tank and it's Nuclear propulsion (not that I need it as this tiny plane is rated for 6500 dV on it's own.  Gotta love having an ion engine).

VGwMLOn.png

So there we go, Pol just got a bit of love too.  Really starting to run out of interesting missions until 1.1 hits.  I wonder where I'll go next ?  Maybe rove a bit on Eeloo, my shuttle is nearing that place anyways.
Stay posted !

Edited by Francois424

On 2/18/2016 at 2:45 PM, Vermil said:

Previous parts of this Duna mission are on 885, 886 (2 posts), 887, 888 (2 posts), 891.

Just FYI, there's a whole sub-topic called "Mission Reports" for this short of thing.  This thread isn't really intended for telling long stories.

1 hour ago, Stewcumber said:

And I thought driving on the Mun was odd. Driving on Minmus is pretty much floating rather than driving- is it meant to be like that?! In any event I'm looking forward to new wheel physics in 1.1!

2016-02-19_00019%20%28Custom%29.jpg

2016-02-19_00023%20%28Custom%29.jpg

2016-02-19_00032%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Yup, that's what it's like on real low-grav worlds, and the smaller the rover the worse it is.  Even this 30+ ton rover-lander that I built can all too easily flip out on Minmus if I'm not careful with the driving :)

CUB33Ur.png

Built the Zeus 1, an unmanned Munar lander. Launch started fine, until SRB separation. The booster collided and obliterated the lower stage. I managed to use the transfer stage to limp to orbit and to a Munar encounter. I tried slowing down for landing, but failed, and the Zeus 1 became the first Munar impactor.