What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Made an attempt at my own version of the Raza from the show "Dark Matter"  Actually turned out to be a rocket SSTO with 650 dv left after achieving a 80k orbit

xHMVLlN.png

Has aerospikes under the forward thrusting engines for a vertical lift.  Wish I could make it look bulkier but then the weight gets thrown off with the fuel drain.

Original has transitional engines, but I'm trying to keep it all stock.

dark-matter-1x11.jpg

My first idea, I like the look and the shuttle bay in the rear but the fuel drain made it unstable.  Also this had RCS and reaction wheels all set, the other is still WIP.

Zdpp7U1.jpg

Edited by manek22

9 hours ago, Jul_Le said:

After 500+ hours of KSP and lots of trial and error, I finally managed to build a space shuttle that not only goes to space, but is actually glides well and doesn't try to fly backwards like my planes usually do.

I assume simply bolting the cockpit to the other end and calling that "forwards" wasn't an option? ^_^

Here's my Big Happening for today, and this one's really depressing. No, really, this one's such a downer.

I had to open the gamesave file in a text editor to double-check my latest crew of newbies, to make SURE they had acquired their PlantFlag events for Mun and Minmus. While scrolling through the roster, I found one Kerbal (instead of pilot or scientist or engineer, his "type" entry was "unknown"--never seen that and have no idea what it means). I did a serious double-take when I saw his name. Then the depression set in.

His name was Karbel.

KARBEL.

Two letters. TWO lousy *&!?#*@ letters.

I WAS SO CLOSE!!2!

Today I made the safest aerobrake ever made. My first one, coming back from the Mun. Figured I should keep my Pe far from Kerbin so I didnt slow down to fast. Put it at 60k, and as of writing im still warping up and down to get down to reentry speed xD.

A somewhat mixed day in the new career....

Crew training using the standard Bunny went well.

screenshot108_zpsncabdrbe.png

With the deployment to Minmus of a mining buggy the Bunny can now do a full Mun/Minmus tour in one mission with the possibility of dipping into Kerbol orbit for that pesky 3rd star. Although at the moment that mission is running from KSC using an overpowered monstrosity known as the Flinger.

screenshot116_zpsc2dzeysx.png

I'm not saying this thing is a tad overspecified but when thanks to some ham fisted astrogation it ended up returning to Kerbin in a retrograde orbit it still had enough DV to reverse the orbit to the customary direction and establish in LKO with 1K DV to spare....

The feshly minted 3 star crew then took a lander to Minmus for some science hoovering whilst another crew did the moons tour taking along a gravity meter netting just under 2k science in one mission. Kerching.

screenshot111_zpsd0s8ymqs.png

With the lander in place Bill in the mining buggy was asked to top up the tanks. However during the 10 km jaunt he got a little carried away and things went south rapidly.

screenshot113_zpsvlrrv0hh.png

With the crew of the lander franticly trying to find the section in their flight manuals dealing with being hit by a ballistic rover at 30m/s whilst the driver screams " it's all right I've got it" Bill took discretion over valour and bailed out.

screenshot115_zpstmhmqgfw.png

With the stricken rover bouncing off over the horizon Bill managed to bring himself under control and made several landings before coming to rest a couple of km beyond the lander.

After a lonely trudge explaining to everyone how a badger ran out in front of him the lander crew eventually let him in after disabling all their flight controls and engines. Luckily a couple of asteroid tracking contract completions mean the hardware can be replaced and in future a brick will be placed under the throttle pedal of any rovers deployed to low grav moons, Or have Bill in them.

Edited by dangerhamster

19 hours ago, Jul_Le said:

Well, technically it worked, it blew the whole thing to smithereens and now, instead of one big problem, I have 84 small problems :P

Time for a rescue mission.

23vaya.jpg

Nice ring system!

18 hours ago, Triop said:

Trying to figure out how docking works...Looks so awkward :blush:

1OpPEbS.png

I have no idea what I am doing or how it works... :confused:

For some reason this looks dirty to me.

technically yesterday I made a comms relay in KEO! It consists of six satellites spaced out over Kerbin's equator, so that any ship within range of their long-range cones (all the way out to Duna or Eve I think) will be able to talk to KSC.

Now I need to figure out how to make this useful...

I may be mistaken, but it looks like you haven't set one of the ports as a target yet. Right click on the non-active vessel's docking port and set as target, then click on the speed readout at the top of the navball until it reads "Target". Once you're that close, the magnets should take over.

20 hours ago, Triop said:

Trying to figure out how docking works...Looks so awkward :blush:

1OpPEbS.png

I have no idea what I am doing or how it works... :confused:

Edited by blorgon

Today I wrapped up the last of my pre-1.1 bucket list: landing and returning from Eeloo in one launch. 95% of my gameplay has been within the Kerbin system, so I felt that it was finally time to accomplish this task.

I only had ~2,600 m/s dV after landing, so to save fuel I used one Joolian and two Kerbin fly-bys to set up an appropriate capture. As a result, this mission took just over 67 years to complete: ~6 years to get to Eeloo, and another 61 years to get back. 

Well, I should a lot of things. And if I was to play KSP, I should at least focus on my Laythe team, so they finish and can be retrieved before 1.1.

But I made a new rocket. And a new rover. And I just had to try them for real.

screenshot3913jg.jpg

screenshot3916jg.jpg

And, well, the rocket, Firebrand_G was a bit of a disappointment. It was neither as stable nor as agile as Firebrand_F, and it basically did nothing better.
Maybe the astronauts, my second most senior team, Valentina, Madly, Kimene, appreciated the increased comfort, but it has to be modified or I'll go back to Firebrand_F.
I haven't analysed it yet, but I suspect the F-version had a big gyro-wheel which is now missing.

The two-wheel rover, otoh, was a great success. I just love it. Poor Squad. The fewer the wheels, the better. I hope they have less bad luck when they design the new wheel physics.

screenshot3925jg.jpg

screenshot3928jg.jpg

It proved to be slightly counterproductive though. I relaxed, drove harder and more recklessly. Eventually the inevitable happened. After hours of driving I came upon a too sharp crest at too high speed. The rover only damaged one of the folding solar panels - no big deal, the rover is a virtual perpetuum mobile now - but the crash disengaged all three Kerbals and some bug made it impossible to reboard the rover, also the three Kerbals moved in perfect sync...

Thus I didn't feel bad about pressing F9 - a bug makes it fully justified -, but since I had last saved at the rocket, before the rover trip, it set me back several hours. The problem is the rover feels too safe and reliable. I'm not careful enough when I'm driving. And why should I be? The entire point of improving the rover is to be able to drive faster? But actually, you can't, not all the time. I'll get used to it, I suppose.

I started out trying to build a small rover to send a pair of to my Mun base. Made a small rover, lost interest after realizing it was almost certainly TOO small to drive on the Mun without unwanted stunts.

Switched to the work-in-progress rover lander/docking base, it's seriously oversized for what I need right now, so shelved it for the moment.

Decided to send another, identical Mun base, Mun Base K-3. Figured I'd decide after capturing orbit whether or not to land it close to K-2 or put it in a completely new location, perhaps orbit low and look for the arch. Almost launched it, then decided to make a Minmus attempt with it instead. What followed was a rather n00by, embarrassing flight which broke my self-imposed realism rule of no quicksaves since I had to reload in Minmus orbit twice, although it eventually was successful. I'll let the screenshots tell the story...

...But not tonight, apparently, because Imgur isn't working correctly for me at the moment.

tl;dr - I put a simple base on Minmus in probably the noobiest way possible.

The transfer windows for Duna and Jool are only 50 days away. I have built some RCS powdered probes to explorer them. Jool Pioneer (first probe to Jool) and the Duna Explorer (Satellite and Lander).

I got a contract to put a satellite into high Kerbin orbit to Jool Pioneer was sent out to fulfil it.

Launch

rbUx5bg.png

In Fairing Shot

LWeRONb.png

In position high above Kerbin

4d0KFa9.png

Next a contract opened for a satellite in orbit of Minmus, Duna Explorer was launched with the lander dropped at the south pole before transiting to Minmus.

Launch

OKw7xou.png

Lander at the South Pole

2hB3IFB.png

Explorer in orbit of Minmus

gOGJhzD.png

how you all doing people?hope you having a great weekend!

i didn't played ksp for more than 2 weeks or so..finally had some free time and more important the motivation to play ksp again!:D:D:D

so i decided to continue where i stopped last time,took my ship that i build with epl station from the orbit of neidon to jool-going for bop landing.

xp3kb8.png2 warp drives in action :Pbi7ymd.pngorbiting jool2iqn7gw.pngbop landing-i really wanted to visit the kraken at bop,but because my 3.2 scale system the "anomaly" disappeared for some reason :huh:2n8vlds.png2qlwvlx.pngvalentina is happy and that's all that matters!15u2jo.png