What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I reworked my 96 passenger airplane with moar struts and moar landing gear.

Remember that 96 passenger doesn't account for crew, meaning that the actual capacity is 100 kerbs.

Now to give it a nice color scheme with Kerbpaint

Oh well, I just built an oversized space plane. This time I had too much liquid fuel on board. Usually it's the other way round.

CdN8ea0.png

This has only 80 parts and is barely playable on my computer. I need 1.1! Neeeeeeeeeed!

Staged 13 simultaneously ecstatic and terrified Kerbals in LKO for a Duna mission. Finally performed my first two real dockings (my first was an Apollo-style docking, not an orbital rendezvous, and my second was a launch straight into a rendezvous that I got extremely lucky on the timing with). This is also the first time I've assembled an interplanetary ship in LKO.

4 hours ago, blorgon said:

Staged 13 simultaneously ecstatic and terrified Kerbals in LKO for a Duna mission. Finally performed my first two real dockings (my first was an Apollo-style docking, not an orbital rendezvous, and my second was a launch straight into a rendezvous that I got extremely lucky on the timing with). This is also the first time I've assembled an interplanetary ship in LKO.

I use Camera Focus Changer. It is very useful to move the focus on big vessels or bases.

Did 1st Mun landing with 3 crew members (Engineer, Scientist, Pilot), gathered 350+ science on way to Mun and back, fullfilled 6 contracts (ferrying, probe launching, exploring etc.) and failed to created a plane which is able to fly around kerbin nonstop :) Lots of fun, explosions and screaming kerbals!

Oh yea - restarted career mode 1.o.5 ^^

Edited by theorigin

I had so many ideas in my head last night for what to do in vanilla 1.1 PR (I'm a massive modding man. I find it hard to enjoy vanilla because I've done it a few times)

I started off testing rovers, because I knew they'd had some problems yesterday. Working alright, only one bug report filed. One thing lead to another and...

2tV9FuO.png

It's worth noting that this launcher has about 80 parts already and no noticeable slowdown on my 2.7GHz quad core. It used to get a bit choppy on my 3.4GHz dual. Heck yes!

After a complete redesign of my spaceplane, I decided to test it by having a new-to-KSP friend pilot it to orbit. Even with its horrible aerodynamics and lack of fuel, it made orbit just fine! Being a more skilled player, I fixed up the wings and added a couple tanks and it performed spectacularly. It will be the plane that will get the big four home after nearly a year on Minmus. They've already been brought to KS1 in LKO by Minbus 1.

Edited by msasterisk
typo

Well, nothing actually. Went to my shop account, no pre-release in sight...

So it seems people who backed this game the longest, before a steam version was even thought about, are pestered to either upgrade their account to Steam (no thank you), or wait until the powers that be decide to release 1.1.

I can only say, great public relations guys.

Greets,

Jan

Not satisfied with my silly little rover and easymode orbital launch, I decided to step it up a notch. With hours in FAR behind me, I set out to build my first ever stock Mk3 cargo delivery ship, and something to use it for.

I was inspired by a reddit post a while back about drop-off refuelling stations. I thought, how small can you make it? And can it be air-delivered out the back of a C-17? Not in 1.0.5, but damn right it can now. I set out about three hours ago to the sound of My Chemical Romance and the Interstellar soundtrack (yes, I know, strange mix) and here's the result. I love it. (sorry for the image spam but the imgur gallery feature is endlessly directing to their 404 page)

%7Boption%7Dhttp://imgur.com/YhrZAuk

%7Boption%7Dhttp://imgur.com/z3aowt3

%7Boption%7Dhttp://imgur.com/xFGodim

Successful parachute deployment on only my fourth or fifth plane flight of 1.1. Volt's back behind the yoke and here to stay. This has big implications for my BDArmory setup when 1.1 is released.

Edit: What the hell is wrong with imgur today? These links aren't working either. They're supposed to be embedded.

Edited by Volt

Over the last two months, I made this craft, meant to look like one of the smallest enemy ships from the game FTL Faster Than Light. It can't make orbit, yet.z2ac42u.png

I also worked on this SSTO, but it has problems around supersonic speed (the craft dipping down without being able to pull back up) that will have to wait for 1.1's lag-free download (maybe later today, maybe two weeks from now).

N3urb7k.png

Much more recently, I have been toying with toroids. While constructing a station with toruses, Raymy Kerman (a pilot) made the statement that he'd rather launch a torus that could save his life than a behemoth torus into the fathomless vacuum. I took his word, fiddled around, and the end result was an ultra-compact lander with almost 3,000 units of fuel, in a space smaller than an Mk3 Fuel Tank. Raymy Kerman was put in control of this new lander, the Poseidon.

Testing thus far was quite good, though the thrust-to-weight ratio of said lander was lower than expected for thuds. The delta v amount seems good for the lander, though I know not how much it has exactly.

I returned back to building (probably-not-going-to-be-launched) stations with toruses in the VAB, and made a small, oddly-shaped space station, about two days ago. It was launched to Minmus.

(Actually, I launched it two days ago, and then remembered that I made it in a test save. Afterwards, I tested with moving existing ships from one save to another, and almost-successfully moved the station to a second test save. The SAS couldn't be turned off on the station, though, so I decided to just relaunch the station in my main save, with a slight improvement to the launcher. The second launch was in the day on Kerbin, and had an identical, not similar, launcher to the ship in the album after the one below.)

Ignore the background junk in the last slide. That was... You'll see!

I then became in the mood to either expand the station or make an accompanying base. I went with the accompanying base option for now. I made an odd VTOL dropship, and a base component that'd be a tight fit. I added a similar launcher to that used for the station, and got to work.

Yesterday, when the VTOL dropship arrived at Minmus, I was a bit too eager to check on my new Infinity Minmus space station core, so I had my engineer steer the space whale ('tisn't its name) into a rendezvous. My kerbonaut who I forget the name of was a bit hyped, though, and dropped the stage debris right near the station.

After a tricky landing with a payload that needed strutting and engines that refused to be balanced with the center of mass, the payload had to be rolled out from the top, due to the fit being too tight to drive out. The VTOL ship wasn't a complete failure, as it should work fine for smaller payloads (that have claws, or if I add an internal docking port in a refined version).

Once the ISRU base module was on steady ground, I decided to take the dropship back up to the space station. Neither of which have RCS thrusters or vernors. I managed to use the engines' placements relative to the docking port to my advantage, rolling the craft and burning to adjust my sideways velocity relative to the station's targeted docking port. After a brief shutdown of the docking operations in the dark, my intrepid kerbonaut finished the docking for me.

Last, but not least, I took an outdated model of the Z. desjardinii (its small drills cannot mine the not-so-rich ore of Minmus, a large-drilled version awaits, attached to a refueler craft, in LKO) from a polar orbit around Minmus and landed it at the (future) base location.

Yj6EbzS.png
6Mz4KLm.png

This last picture is terrible enough that it requires powerful squinting to even have a chance at seeing the distant base near the spaceplane. I did move it closer in the day, I just don't have a picture at the moment of that.

Today I went on a rescue mission. It just so happened that the two rescuees were fairly close together. So I decided to make some minor changes to a vessel I had been using to carry two passengers at a time to orbit and back to make sure it had enough fuel for orbital manoeuvrers.

25865643480_42b3df0965_c.jpg

25535873573_6f1429ff0b_c.jpg

As an added bonus I realised my return path was fairly close to KSP. I was aiming for the water, but decided to burn off the extra fuel to slow me down more before ditching the last stage. 19.5km from KSP is good enough for me. Generally I just aim for water as I am not too good with planning my return landings. If it's not a mountain I'm usually happy with the result. :D

26072171581_d86a515150_c.jpg

I killed Jeb...

Going for a Mun landing, and I realised in Kerbin orbit that I had no batteries and no solar panels... so, the attempt was aborted, and Jeb deorbited the return vehicle. All seemed good, with a pretty standard reentry, when suddenly the lander yawed crazily and ended up nose first doing about 2000 m/s at 30,000 m. Kerblooey :(

Val bravely stepped up - she's in MunLander II (with solar panels and batteries) and is ready to leave low Mun orbit with a stackful of science.

On the other hand - I discovered that I can get science from analyzing my ScanSat data (full scans of Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus).