What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I launched the first space station for my new 1.1 career.

JuGn8zH.png

And then I realized that I can't use KAS/KIS (because they're broken) to extend it's lifespan past the 92 days worth of supplies I sent up with it, because it doesn't have docking ports.

Edited by KaideGirault

Also spent some time placing some strategic flags on the approach to KSC... one just at the runway (inner marker), one a kilometer away (middle marker), one ten klicks further (outer marker) and two offset flags to indicate the waypoints for the approach "cylinders."

Returned briefly after yet another long hiatus, and started working on a new circumnavigation rover, to be used after 1.1 is released (and once the mods the rover in dependent on are updated...) to test out the new wheel physics.

Sadly, it seems that KSP continues to be a canary for overheating for my PC... no other game has managed to make it shut down due to (if it's anything like previously) overheating issues.  Not sure how, but this game makes my poor AMD processor work itself to death, especially in the VAB/SPH :(

Not sure if I should install the Hyper 212 EVO I've had sitting on my desk for the past 4 months (I'm lazy, ok? :P also been saving it for a processor that would really need it) or wait for 1.1.

Edited by Slam_Jones

Finishing up a 39-year 1.0.4 career, which mostly amounted to using my last interplanetary vessel as a space bus. But, in the meantime, a probe got to Pluto Putto, and spent some time irradiating the place with its scanners...

Okay, no, hold on a second. We can't end this game without one more absurdly oversized non-asparagused launch vehicle.

ohoih6x.png

Ah, there we go.

Having done most of the exploring in this system, and having gotten sick of the laggy physics, the entire 26-kerbonaut corps heads to space one last time aboard the Warp 39 and Three-Quarters, so named because it has a warp drive and 39 seats, and after KSC was finished paying for it, all they had left in the bank was 75 cents.

6EtSn7m.png

It boasts absolutely no launch escape system and worse aerodynamics than the average office building, so they overengineered somewhat on the ascent engines.

AqLNFvK.png

Those tanks are empty, so why are they detonating like they were full of TNT? Must be Jeb's doing...

9dOp9U4.png

All the launch stages fell back to Kerbin, hopefully not on anyone's house.

RJgJutn.png

And thus, they head out towards a new Kerbin, one which claims to have more Unity. Actually the warp drive glitched and didn't do anything, so you'll just have to pretend.

Some 30 years after that, the longest mission of all came to an end, with Floey's arrival at Flo, the most distant object in the system.

miIbbzf.png

It couldn't even communicate with KSC at this distance (Antenna Range isn't really meant for such a huge solar system), so it decided to skip all that scanning nonsense and go straight for a landing.

M4cnqth.png

Unlike that cheeky Putto probe, this one was actually supposed to land, so it brought landing legs and an extra array of ion engines.

fepPnoS.png

Maybe it will regain contact when Flo orbits closer to the sun... but I'm probably not going back to this save to check. 1.1 awaits.

The KSS Aesop nears it's destionation: Duna!

Mission control were a little worried after the recent mishaps with the K1 lander on the Mun.  The Aesop's lander was a lighter, less capable K2, but shared many of the same design flaws.  On the bright side, Ike's gravity was a bit lighter than the Mun's, but mission control was still setting conservative goals.

The easy part was to swing around Duna retrograde and do some braking at periapsis, setting up an Ike intercept, where a 30 x 32 km orbit was established.  Dr. Halburry Kerman was constantly taking readings from the instruments, looking for juicy information, while Keldan made frequent photographs and made detailed orbital observations.  

Qsdz4jG.png

In short, everything went like a well oiled machine.  The landing went off without a hitch, a couple different biomes were hopped, the first snacks were consumed on a celestial body that does not orbit Kerbin, and the scientific findings were excellent.  

52q3zXh.png

Re-docking got interesting (I ran out of power often because of mediocre solar panel placement and an unfortunate docking angle) but still went fine.  

Check out the full album:

The EVA and crew reports transmitted home amassed over 450 science, the rest is waiting to come home during the next Duna-to-Kerbin launch window 155 days away.  In other news, the boys back in the drawing board meeting decided to start putting together plans for a Minmus surface base including a research lab, habitation for a good number of kerbals, and a satellite tower.  An adaptation of the Aesop's design is scheduled to be placed in service as a skycrane.

This career is full of so many firsts for me as a player. :)  Especially since it's 40% science returns and no quickload (reverting is enabled, but long missions end up committed).  Really hoping it transfers easily to 1.1, it should be stock-compatible given my only mods are aesthetic/informational.

(*I have steam, but choose not to download the prerelease...)

In what may be a last hurrah for old style rover capabilities Runabout 1 on Minmus took on a contract to make EVA observations. The trail of waypoints led steadily towards the slopes causing a tremor of trepidation.

However she responded like a champ tackling the incline with gusto.

screenshot63_zpsckaipdqx.png

Once a the waypoint judicious use of the Kerbarake resolved a slight case of separation anxiety.

screenshot64_zpsczsh83ku.png

After a careful descent it was time to see what she could do on the jag back to the lander site.

screenshot65_zpsd6hfsyka.png

Even at speed slight direction changes were safely executed although continued turns pushed the envelope somewhat.... all in all KSC regards this as a success although the crew have been instructed to keep Bill away from it.

I spent a ton of time trying to get a Mun SSTO to work (I rarely build SSTOs that can orbit, much less make it to the Mun). I made it to Mun orbit with this one, but didn't have enough fuel to land.

xV6JKjj.png

Started a lazy circumnavigation of Kerbin in 1.1, just hope I have enough fuel.  What a pig this thing is...  You can't take off from water with this fuel load, for sure.

This is probably my favorite thing to do in stock/vanilla, fart around on Kerbin.  Space is serious, Kerbin is a toy.

1SQwVkV.png

Another day, another SSTO. Today I built this evil looking stand-up guy. I'm not sure I can get her back from orbit though, she flies a bit sketchy on the ascent and that usually doesn't bode well for the way back down.

I also don't have a clue about the range once in orbit, my mechjeb seems to have died in today's pre-release version.

hnV5Jwth.png

223qyygh.png

qzlGqsjh.png

Edited by technicalfool
There is a reason for that word-swap.

My first Eve landing ever! He's not going home though...

haVGvYN.png

"Today, Tommon Kerman, Blorbs, and Kerbalkind as a whole takes the first step fully away from Kerbin, and become citizens of the universe"

Edited by nosirrbro

Today i had some fun around Duna!

CR17Kuz.jpgPO59mS2.png

.. and i've tried and tested different SSTO types (carreer mode 1.1!) - speaking of .. it took about 4000 science to get there...

twhR2l0.png

939RROD.jpg

This is the concept which brought me to orbit and back ...

GktyDse.png

QsEsdmH.pngWlL7I4e.jpg0cyU2ll.jpgrnbCGAE.jpgeUf1zOe.jpg

Launched an Iapetus lander using a Proton-M with Blok D as a transfer stage.

abrpOPf.png

The thing has ~1300m/s in it. Uses a single linear thruster on the bottom, the two quads can also help if necessary. There isn't really need for more thrust and these things can throttle pretty deep in the precision mode which is always a plus.

qAa289k.png

If I used hydrolox stage I could've probably gone directly to Jupiter. Decided to go for VEEGA though. And Botched it completely. I kinda did the VEE part, it's just that there was no way of reaching Jupiter cheaply after the second Earth pass. Gotta make sure I actually arrive during a launch window next time...Attempts to save it using orbiter's fuel failed after maneuver nodes decided to stop cooperating with me. Couldn't place a single one on current orbit. Well, maybe next week it'll go better.

wpOMhHC.png

1 hour ago, max_creative said:

Docked for the first time. It took 45 minutes because one of the crafts was a 500 ton interplanetary ship with no RCS. That was "fun."

Congrats!  Well, it still takes around that long if you consider the rendezvous time.

Speaking of docking, today I added the third node of my space station!  This docking section will allow you to dock multiple spacecraft to the station at a time.  I'm going to also relocate one of the nodes because I docked it on the wrong port...