What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've been playing around with VTOL's lately.

eyDrVgW.png

Spoiler

tFvRtog.png

So of course I wound up with several stranded Kerbals scattered around the area.

kntNMkn.png

Built a new ship to go pick them all up before bedtime. Throttle Controlled Avionics FTW!

One here...

yLfr4cn.png

Another over there...

FqS2saD.png

One by the mountains...

YEe2vDr.png

another in the sea...

qTH5pjp.png

Oops. Nope, that's an empty capsule.

Not enough fuel to make KSC again, have to set down at the old Abandoned Airfield. Pretty shot in Minmus in the southern sky.

G8LX7l3.png

One more pickup here...

JJxZvk6.png

Too late to send out (and build) a fueler now. The four Kerbals will just have to bed down at the old Airfield for the night. The dark, abandoned, demolished airport. Nothing creepy out here, no sir. Nothing creepy at allwe'regonnadie...

Gregford's the only guy in the group. For propriety, guess he'll have to go sleep in the rickety, dilapidated control tower. The control tower with the light on despite there being no power...

Sleep well, Gregford.

The United Provincial Space Command's new station, the Uranus - unfortunately, a hapless Second Lieutenant, while looking over the papers, pointed out to the General that their new multibillion fund orbital facility was named after street slang for the Kerbal nether region.  By that time, the Uranus was in orbit, so the Space Command refused to acknowledge anything, handing the space station to it's civilian counterpart, the A.R.A.  Designed as a ICBM Command Center as well as satellite tender, the Uranus can hold a crew of 28 Kerbals for a long duration of time, and is now awaiting it's first crew - unlike the other A.R.A stations, an agreement was reached with the U.P.S.C in which all crewmembers must be active military personnel in return for nominal A.R.A control over the Uranus.

lISx2Jw.png

3 minutes ago, Butterbar said:

The United Provincial Space Command's new station, the Uranus - unfortunately, a hapless Second Lieutenant, while looking over the papers, pointed out to the General that their new multibillion fund orbital facility was named after street slang for the Kerbal nether region.  By that time, the Uranus was in orbit, so the Space Command refused to acknowledge anything, handing the space station to it's civilian counterpart, the A.R.A.  Designed as a ICBM Command Center as well as satellite tender, the Uranus can hold a crew of 28 Kerbals for a long duration of time, and is now awaiting it's first crew - unlike the other A.R.A stations, an agreement was reached with the U.P.S.C in which all crewmembers must be active military personnel in return for nominal A.R.A control over the Uranus.

lISx2Jw.png

Do you plan to write a story about this? Sounds pretty neat!

26 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Do you plan to write a story about this? Sounds pretty neat!

It's actually a part of my "From Humble Beginnings" AAR in Mission Reports, but I apparently fly faster than I type.  Right now in the AAR, the Uranus is still the "Geostationary Station", still on the drawing board, and only gets mentioned once as a footnote in a letter between two government officials.

Edited by Butterbar

14 hours ago, Guz said:

watched:

this is pretty cool... newbal question, why do people take off straight up on even instead of using a gravity turn? is the atmosphere too thick or something?

Also what i did today, built a probe, flew it to duna orbit, transfered to ike orbit, landed on ike, returned to and landed on duna, took off on duna, forgot to retract solar panels and they ripped off. bye bye probe, its battery power didnt last long.

Edited by kaesden

Eve's atmosphere is too thick, a gravity turn from the ground will generally overheat and blow up most parts.  At 10km on Eve, the pressure has dropped to Kerbin sea level pressure.  Most people start their turn there.

Completed the flight of the "bug" as an entry to the Space Station of Coolness challenge.

A few pics of the highlights.

Leaving Kerbin

604F8Pr.jpg

Orbiting Mun first time around

kkVVtM7.jpg

Orbiting Duna

ciWfSBD.jpg

Spacewalking

srHgkZJ.jpg

Orbiting Minmus 1st time around

fPYt9mX.jpg

In orbit of Kerbin before a surprise encounter and return to the surface.

zuBL7nu.jpg

Hi Eve Party Boat

gFw3SsB.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

Did what is likely to be my last mission before a fresh install with the 1.1 pre-release. I've been holding out because I've been absolutely loving flying with @alexustas's MK1-2 IVA overhaul. But the game has been crashing a lot for me lately, so I'm moving on to bigger and better things so that I can start working on some of my more ambitious (for me) mission plans, since I've also been putting those off in favor of 1.1.

Update:

Just touched down safely after returning from my Duna trip.

I've landed on Duna several times now, but each time I went, I screwed some part of the mission up, whether it was forgetting parts, or screwing up maneuvers that cost me too much fuel. This is actually the first time (~500 hours) that I've completed an interplanetary mission from launch to splashdown.

Edited by blorgon

Today, i built and tested a new stock cargo lander for Mün and Minmus. It has 2 deployable cargo ramps, that re-attach themselves to the craft, after being deployed. On top is a return vehicle that can make it back to orbit.

WpsLhxa.png

5pmc9xv.png

Edited by Frank_G

44 minutes ago, Frank_G said:

Today, i built and tested a new stock cargo lander for Mün and Minmus. It has 2 deployable cargo ramps, that re-attach themselves to the craft, after being deployed. On top is a return vehicle that can make it back to orbit.

WpsLhxa.png

5pmc9xv.png

Wait, what? All stock? How that work??

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Wait, what? All stock? How that work??

Here you go. Place the craftfile into your subassembly folder then attach it to a platform (use a launch clamp to give it some height) or whatever part you like. Launch and decouple the lower docking port. You´ll see ;)

Today I failed to double-dock my Duna mothership's fuel tanks. Without a double dock they were far too flimsily connected, so I implemented Abort from LKO.

My untested Duna spaceplane successfully re-entered, but didn't have enough pitch authority to keep the nose up. It became clear that a return to KSC was not on the cards, and the plane shortly ditched into the ocean at 45deg and 50m/s. I'm pleased to report that Jeb, Bill, Bob and Val were all recovered safely. 

Today, after watching 3 more of Mike Aben's KSP campaign series, I wondered how a "Korion" of my own would look like.
Mike's Korion is a Kerbin-SoI craft capable of moving Kerbals around and do rescues wherever they might be in said SoI.  And even capable of quick dips outside Kerbin SoI for Kerbal training and science !
He uses stock parts and Home-grown rocketry parts for the most part. 

So I took my paper pad and after a few iteration I had something I liked...  I have not given mine a name, but just labeled it as a "Mobile Base" for now.
So without delay, here is my own take on it:

Close-up shot in a Stable 300x300 orbit... Left to right and each section can be detached/replaced/reattached:
 - Cockpit and Crew Module (3-Kerbal Pod + Hitchiker + Heatshield so that module can re-enter Kerbin for crew rotation.  New crew module can then be flown up and redocked as needed).
 - Science Module (MPL module + Science instruments)
 - Power Module (1x Balka Solar Pannel + 8x Radial MRS Rechargeable batteries)
 - Drive Module (1x FTmN280 + 4 Interstellar Radiator I fixed a few weeks ago + Procedural LF tank(3770 LF).
RPeq6cZ.png

Decided to test-drive it to the Mün, Maneuver all planned and ready to be executed... Sunset shot just before heading out :
72m7LL0.png 

Mün circularization burn (was distracted and did it late)...
q7dEKMK.png

Oh yeah....  That's the shot I was looking for the whole trip :
tl6wSfO.png

So this ship has roughly 4k Delta-V, but no ISRU capability.  It is 100% dependent on being resupplied (like Mike Aben's original).
The Balka Solar Panel double pivot ensures the sun is never in a blind spot (exception: eclipses/behind moons/planets)
The thing's only missing an RTG or 2 for safety.

A fun quick build.  Dunno if I'll use in 1.1, but it would come in handy for the late-tree-yet-everything-still-not-unlocked phase when I have Nervas, docking ports and 2,5m parts.
Oh yeah I used mostly stock parts, MRS reaction wheels/batteries, Surface lights (Moar Lightsssssssss!!!) and my custom pack (Balkas / FMnT280 / Radiators).

Have a nice week all !
(Edit:  Oh dratz, forgot an antenna...  I'll put a few on next revision haha)

Edited by Francois424

Well, I had to evacuate my Minmus base or deep freeze everyone. Lag issues (KPBS looks really nice, but my PC and the unity4 engine can't handle this in a playable manner) and life support issues (some floating point errors apparently in combination of USI-LS and KBPS) put our Kerbal's dreams of a long distance outpost to an end. I will have to resort to unmanned exploration, deep freeze vessels and many supply runs in preparation for manned long distance exploration. On top of that, Minmus really seems to be the Bermuda Triangle of the Kerbin system. The navball indicators go crazy on landing, as well as MechJeb when trying to dock to my Minmus station in orbit. I had to dust off my 2 joysticks and dock the old fashioned way, was quite fun actually. 

Edited by hendrack

Landed this...

8CF04233EC8FDA5D000AC1205B926A9A608C7499 96 Miles from this...

417C6E9B658FB74E8985312967C44DD456872587

So I had to do a lot (2 weeks) of this...

A3BBD8934814EFB4A37603295DBF0A5EF7D0807C

Also found out that I couldn't eva cause apparently my other two hatchs are blocked, don't look blocked to me.

6915F67246297DD58EE328C39ACA56B91C2D47FB

So i sent this to attach to it and expand base for contract and fun stuff, since the main base I was set not entirely on level ground and wouldn't align docking ports.

9E94E7E21D9750514FC02290D50D844A5F4FBA97

No pic of new bases attached, Baby duties come first. 

Cheers

Edited by MrWolf83

I was too stunned and dismayed to take a photo, but it went like this -

I started a new Career campaign, and was doing the early first-day stuff. I made a plane with a passenger cabin, had Komrade Valentina up front at the controls, with Bobby and Billy in the cabin. Was SW of KSC heading for the desert biome and I wanted to have a look inside the passenger cabin, since that was a part I hadn't seen before. Pressing C got me the Cockpit, so I had to use the buttons. But I misclicked on ol' Bobby-boy and hit EVA rather than IVA, and Komrade Bob took an air walk at 4000 metres with no 'chute. I can still see the look on his little green face as he slid off the tailplane, and hung there in the air while the plane drove away from him.

"Ah, Houston, we have a problem..."