What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

The Munar Outpost became operational today, with two Nova-class HLV rockets being launched, followed by a refitted Munshot-class rocket.  One carried the habitat module with living space for 10 Kerbals and two long distance rovers, the second carried the research module, and last of all, the Munshot carried a crew of two.  Now host to Neildon and Lemman Kerman, both seasoned veterans of the Astronautics Research Agency, the crew have begun their mission: to explore the Munar surface and search for ice that could sustain a future Mun colony.  Neildon and Lemman have both flown to the Mun and Minmus before: Neildon also served a tour of duty in LKO before being transferred as the Base Commander to the Munar Outpost project.  The Outpost was proposed by C7 Aerospace, a major ARA contractor, as well as the Air Force, who saw the Mun as a good observation post for enemy missiles.  Now on the Mun, both Kerbals will stay for a one year long tour of duty before returning home to Kerbin, having kickstarted the first time that Kerbalkind has permanently resided on two worlds.  

xEGmUL0.png

On April 7, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Geschosskopf said:

I made a small, 1-seat runabout VTOL.  From a maximum of 450m/s and 5000m during the crossing from KSC to Airbase Island, it then made a pinpoint vertical landing the foundations of a ruined building.  It can also take off and land horizontally if needed, and does reasonably good aerobatics.  Quite a fun little ride.  Now all my Kerbals want one :)

Scoot 01

Hey what are you using for the actual vertical thrust here? I've just spent the last half hour trying to find working VTOL engines for 1.1 or even x.05 and I got nuthin. 

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hey what are you using for the actual vertical thrust here? I've just spent the last half hour trying to find working VTOL engines for 1.1 or even x.05 and I got nuthin. 

The things sticking out the leading edge of the wings are the VTOL engines.  They're from  @SuicidalInsanity's Mk 2 Expansion mod.  They're radially attached engines with an integral intake and a nozzle that can toggle 90^ via an action group.

6 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

The things sticking out the leading edge of the wings are the VTOL engines.  They're from  @SuicidalInsanity's Mk 2 Expansion mod.  They're radially attached engines with an integral intake and a nozzle that can toggle 90^ via an action group.

Awesome, thanx. THIS I can work with!

Never too late to find old but good mods, like HGR 1.875 (and community fixes). Finally a 3 man Soyuz Soy-Juice (I still love u Tantares, no worries). Also learned to take a closer look at new parts and staging: I sprayed my drink over my desk laughing as the heatshield decoupled as well before re-entry.

Edited by hendrack

Tried to test an EAV...

http://s019.radikal.ru/i635/1604/f6/fc69478c86b2.png

Slowed down to 2500 m/s before reentry, still lost the drills and some of the ladders. and almost lost engines (and here I was worried about the panels - the craft disintegrates first). What the hell is with this atmosphere? (this is still 1.0.5. Is it any better in 1.1?)
Yeah, wrong landing spot is not a problem compared to that (especially given the amount of powered braking)

Maybe if I fully fuel it in LKO it'll have enough delta v to properly land on Eve...

I did this today

tyVjV5P.jpg

bL1gLu9.jpg

It's a ~190 ton SSTO Science Cruiser with enough space to last 6 kerbals a year away, it can get to the Mun and back but in it's current state it's really hard to land there since it requires to go below 1/ms speed in each vector, i just forgot stuff before launching to land better or have some lander with it.

7 minutes ago, N_Danger said:

I was using a probe to hop around Minmus to scan the surface and ran out of fuel right before I could get that last biome. So it became a rover.  Probe core SAS is OP. (it did take 30 minutes to be fair)

I did the same thing once! It ran out of fuel and hit just hard enough to blow off the fuel tank, engine, and landing legs. Wherner still refuses to admit that the "terrain-assisted staging" was an accident :D 

Haven't been logged in on here since, er, before the forum revamp at least, returned to my 1.0 career save to de-rust my skills in preparation for 1.1.

...immediately I got a rescue contract for some guy on Eve's surface, accepted that, spent the last two days simulating some landers. I came up with this monstrosity, weighing in at 2579.56t on the pad.

At launch, this thing had in the region of 400 parts so it was running at 3-5fps.
C40GC7X.png

A very wobbly ascent only resulted in my inclination being off by 2 degrees, somehow. Anyway, here it is in orbit:

gEX0qFt.png

The lander has been tested in HyperEdit twice and managed to reach a 150km Eve orbit both times, and the mobile launchpad carries an ore refinery to refuel its tanks and save 10t on lifting the lander with fuel in it. Probably didn't make too much difference given the size of the thing, to be honest...

It lands by stopping dead in space, falling slow enough to not get too much heating (all my contraptions to protect the payload flipped over and exploded) and lands on about 40 parachutes. Although I'm yet to do that outside a simulation.

Docked two fuel modules behind my Duna mothership, and two Ike landers to each side. I didn't need two, but hey, keeps things balanced. Only the crewed duna spaceplane to go! May just be a conventional lander if I'm not feeling ambitious.

20160413222638_1_zpszpcbtt7m.jpg

Also, does anyone know how to stop the aerodynamic forces overlay each time I take a screenshot? Is it easier to change KSP's shortcut to something else or would it be easier to change it in Steam?

There was a request for a large payload carrier in the SSTO pictures thread. I had a plane that could carry the weight of the payload, but couldn't actually fit it inside. I started to wonder if I could carry the payload on the outside, at least partially. I put one orange tank in the cargo bay as usual, and then put another on top. The result was an uncontrollable winged rocket as the wings were useless above 35000 m. I thought about putting the internal tank under the plane, but it wouldn't fit. That's when I decided to switch my plane's fuel and the external tank's fuel so that the orange tank mounted on top of the plane would be drained by the engine and the fuselage tanks would be locked.

zvByXeh.png

It worked, all I needed to do was transfer fuel back into the top tank and then stage it. After that I decided to take it to the extreme:

9CRIe1F.png

The orange tank isn't full, but it still has some oxidizer. And this was only supposed to carry one Jumbo 64 originally. I have a bad habit of using too much margin.

Started a 1.1 Hard Mode career at the start of the open beta, and I finally got the docking and RCS tech I needed to strip mine Minmus for science.  Small science hopper, orbital fuel station, return shuttle/lander:

3428.7 Science.  Doesn't even include all the EVA reports I radioed home

No pic, sorry.

I just went and landed on the Mun in my Career mode save. Since no pic, I'll explain how it landed: ON IT'S ENGINE! The landing legs on hand were too short (unannounced to me) so I had to land on my engine with the legs as tipper supports.

I just finished a nearly 2 hour long mission flying a plane to the large crater shown here

Spoiler

:File:KerbinCraterElevation.jpg

I collected 3 surface samples and EVA reports; one from the shore of the mainland just inside the crater rim, one from central rebound peak, and one from the island along the opposite side of the crater rim..  My scientists are now hard at work(at least when there's anybody watching them...) analyzing this data to learn more about the object which caused this huge crater and what the risk of future impacts like this might be.