What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Continued working on my von Braun / Constellation style interplanetary vessel. The payload capacity has finally been determined, so has been the final size. 10 launches of my heavy Kerberos SLS are required, to lift all components into orbit. New modules are the habitation module with crew cabin, laboratory and external science platform and the inline cargo rack for the solar flyer and other mission essential equipment. The two caps on the outer engine blocks will be replaced by emergency re-entry modules, that will also serve as auxiliary command bridges, when the craft breaks up into three different vessels, once it has reached its destination.

hggyCk6.png

MBMGr1g.png

After an All night STAR WARS themed party, in which the engineers TIED on a few to many drinks. A few engineers with sore heads thought they could do better,,,,,,It flys....but no  one knows how to land it...  

TIEF-Montage-1.jpg

Edited by algwat

So, Tandan, Sigrid and Bilfal didn't hear much from Mission Control lately. He seemed uncharacteristically gruff. Nevermind, Dr Horst stepped in instead and asked them to make ready for next days tasks. So after a hefty breakfast it was time to try their new toys, the rovers. It is a very long climb down, from the Kronos. And with the Kronos_C, with it's MK 3 cockpit, the ladder system is also quite peculiar.

screenshot4182jg.jpg

- Yeay, onwards to the beach!

According to Dr Horst, Mission Control has suffered some mysterious virus, "F9", and will eventually become his usual cheerful self. Nevermind him now. Enjoy the Laythe adventure. So down to the shoreline. Check out the liquid that appears to be water. It seems deceptively close. It's not of course. It is a drive to get there.

screenshot4191jg.jpg

Laythe's Sagan Sea is a very good rover terrain. That is almost immediately discovered. High speeds are stable and feels very safe. For once the surface is smoother and flatter than it looks like. The rover is the improved long-wheelbase model and that probably helps of course. Though even better, would have been a rover of an even later design - this shall soon be revealed - but it was a long time ago that our heroes departed Kermin, and the rover they have now was the latest design then.

screenshot4192jg.jpg

So they arrive at the beach. Well, despite that they all dismounted and went into the liquid - which indeed seems to be water - there was no additional science to be discovered. Just to be on the safe side they went for a brief swim. No additional revelations. A day at the beach is perhaps not quite the same in a spacesuit, and, well, they got kinda bored.

screenshot4193jg.jpg

During the journey back, an important detail was soon revealed. A thing that impacted plans for their future stay. Now it was uphill. And while the rover still worked brilliantly and easily did 8-12 m/s into 10-15 degrees constant angle, easily also overcoming steeper, it now consumed power. Inevitably, they eventually had to stop to charge the battery.
And it took all day. Or at least a good portion of it. The distance to the sun, of course. This is a completely different environment than Duna or Mun. Extensive Rover operations will require a completely different approach. The two-wheel bike model would have helped, as it only consumes half the energy for the same load and speeds. And maybe even my mono-wheel design, since it halves energy consumption yet again. That one has problems with gradients though. In any way, whatever, there is still the fundamental issue: Charging times. This expedition has achieved one goal. Finding out how rovers work on Laythe. More work is meaningless to spend on this before we have the v1.1 wheel-physics model. But maybe some fuel system will be advantageous?

screenshot4197jg.jpg

Luckily, they made it all the way back to the Kronos_C on one re-charging. Just. Barely. On the last amps. Otherwise they would have had to spend the very long Laythe night out.

screenshot4207jg.jpg

And there we leave our team, for their well deserved supper.

Edited by Vermil

On 15/04/2016 at 9:47 AM, hazard-ish said:

I've landed on Eeloo (hopefully able to get back!) using a 3.5 ton rocket! :) I normally build massive, over-engineered rockets but I'm having loads of fun with this tiny craft!

Will that make it into a video?

2 hours ago, CAKE99 said:

Will that make it into a video?

Of course it will! I've already performed the mission there and back so I know it's possible and I've selected the music I will use for it already (that can sometimes take ages!). All I've waiting for to actuality record the final version is for visual mods to be compatible with 1.1 :)

20160417173457_1_zpssbhetpfk.jpg

(Above picture is the mothership, without payload, fully fueled)

I built my new budget-mothership in a 320km orbit around Kerbin.

-

Payload(tons) Delta V(rounded)
36t (1 orange) 4836
18t (½ orange) 5801
09t (1/4 orange) 6495
00t (no payload) 7103

With a full compliment of fuel, payload and kerbals we are looking at a cost of 142985 dollars spacecoins, a grand weight of 156,9 tons (with payload) and a rather mild, 76 parts.

This is obviously a mothership built on a budget, I had to make some compromises between part count, total cost and weight. Some parts could be eliminated if the payload could be determined beforehand and then incorporated into the design but this model is diverse and should allow a good selection of payloads, restricted only by the 2.5m part limit. 

20160417182238_1_zpsndrkzadj.jpg

Above picture is the baseplate of the mothership, weighting in at 80.9 tons, 64 parts and a cost of 118325$ / 11413$  (Fueld/unfueled).

Edited by TimePeriod

Had to look though all mods to squash a bug that was haunting me for 3 days, but now I can play again. I decided to go the extra mile from MKS-Lite to full USI-LS chain, just for the station parts! Work on Mun Space Station has started.

oTdpYWG.png

Edited by hendrack

When last I left her, poor Valentina was hopelessly cast away in the middle of the Evean ocean. And also, upside down. SO today I finally resolved to rescue her. I've never ever been back from Eve before, so this will be a new challenge with several phases.

Spoiler

Phase I: Get Val out of the middle of the ocean to somewhere a return ship can land. Enter Anbas Kerman (not to be confused with Adbas Kermol), and Sharkey (wife insisted I call it that):

kVkXfeK.png

Aerobraking at Eve went fairly well, even if he lost the main engine. That's quite all right, the RCS runs on LiFuOx and has plenty of power to finish circularizing.

MbzacFz.png

Deorbited, ditched the transfer stage, now time for the final entry to Eve's atmosphere with an unshielded aircraft. Everything went, very, very well at first...

lqii5N3.png

...and then, well, things went bad...

v8A7FAu.gif

...and then they got worse...

bkpbfDo.gif

Poor Anbas finally had to give up & punch out.

KprvLS4.gif

So now I've got TWO Kerbals stranded on Eve. Then Anbas went & fell off his cockpit, can't climb back up, and will spend the next few years just floating there.

We ALL float down there...

Yesterday (I went to sleep right after I was done so I didn't post here) I sent my first base, or even Kerbals, to Laythe! I have sent probes there before, but its still quite nice. Also, with scatterer it is so damn pretty

0FE41742A738CF9328A978187DDDE1116E45A8BB

Just now, StickyScissors said:

I spent  my short time playing KSP today trying to mount the first "flags and footprints" mission to the Mun in this save, just to test and refine current hardware. And it all went down the drain :c

Album:

What mod are you using for engines? KW? 

Cool mission report,  too bad about the kraken atack. 

16 minutes ago, Musil said:

What mod are you using for engines? KW? 

Cool mission report,  too bad about the kraken atack. 

The engines are from SSTU. An amazing WIP mod. Lots of cool stuff

Link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/117090-wip-sstulabs-low-part-count-solutions-orbiter-landers-lifters-dev-thread-03-26-16-105-dl-available/

After getting hooked on Fire Emblem, I finally complete the Conquest campaign, I finally got back to the Jool mission I was on weeks ago and managed the first travel stop and landed on Pol for the first time.  Since I was being super cautious, I let the mission run for an extra 300 days just to save a bit of fuel by reversing my orbit so it would be counter-clockwise since the gravity brake put me in a clockwise orbit.  I should probably hit up Laythe next.

4OroK1vM.jpg

I Uninstalled 1.1, until DTL gets updated for 1.1 it's unplayable on my laptop. Then installed a whole tone of mods (decided to do a career with all of Roverdudes mods cause i know they'll be ready when I decide to switch permanently!)

Also set up my first remote tech coms network (the newtwork) which quickly got out of sync cause I got the orbits wrong, so set up the newtwork two, which then needed munar upgrades (so remote tech was my entire gameplay!)

Not what I've done, but what I'm doing today:

Hopefully I get the full KSP today and there's one thing I haven't done in the demo yet...and I'd never have thought of it if I hadn't seen Scott Manley mention it.

Today, Jeb sets out to orbit Kerbol. It apparently looks real nice up close so let's see what kind of shielding the Mk1 Command Pod possesses. I'll make sure he packs a camera.

Cheers!