What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I feel like I haven't actually "played" KSP for like a week, I've been too busy making mods. Here's what I have so far for my Dres Plus mod:

KCF1G0k.png

It's still a work in progress. The body that the picture is taken from is actually an ocean world about 1/2 the size of Kebin, with two continents at the north and south poles. (This is from the north.)

The other moon is about 1/3  the size of the first one and orbit in such away that it appears to spin around the first. Right now I've only really worked on the first one, so the second one just looks like the mun.

Oh yeah, and Dres is now bigger than Eve.

7 hours ago, Jasper_f said:

I practiced with gravity assists around Duna and obtained a very cheap polar orbit thanks to Ike.

091A7E583A5395B7362B45FC3399044BDAD3E2BA

Looks to me like you're gonna end up crashing into Ike. :P

Edited by WillThe84th

What did I do in KSP today?  Nothing.  For the past 5 days I've been exploring the opposite end of the technology spectrum doing Stone Age stuff.  My space program is like that of the Moties in the Pournelle/Niven classic The Mote in God's Eye.  Every update burns whatever my Kerbals have built down to bedrock, so they make bombproof museums of all their technologies to speed the recovery in the next Cycle.

2 hours ago, WillThe84th said:

Looks to me like you're gonna end up crashing into Ike. :P

Oh snap, you are completely right! I will do a bit more tweaking before executing this maneuver. Thanks for noticing :).

Did an eyeball launch of a robotic resupply (aka a Progress) to a manned (actually it was womanned or possibly kerballed) pod stuck in high Kerbal orbit at 81 deg inclination.

After they got their fuel and snacks they continued their op of bringing interesting science reports to a lab in near polar orbit (they ran out of fuel trying to match it's 87 deg inclination ...)

I'm now planning the delicate op of getting the still quite heavy, bulky and slow manoeuvring Progress to try and dock and resupply the ditto lab. Which is like getting two grown elephants to play 'pass-the-apple' without bumping into each other or using their trunks ...

In Orbit ...

I really dont want to go space these days, instead i decided to make something more old and fancy, Looks very similar to spitfire but i was too lazy to make exact details (elevator and rudder) but maybe one day!

I launched Spacenik 1, which was definitely not in any way similar to Sputnik... Yeah, no way similar. Completely unique. I basically just offset a bunch of batteries into a stayputnik with some instruments, with an out-of-view cubic strut on the bottom so it'd have a node. Fun times. Also tried to fly a plane, crashed it landing it because I was too lazy to loop back around and was going too fast.

Sent my first manned ship to Duna, just a tourist contract, lesson learned though is remove oxidizer from tank that nukes will be feeding off of. Hopefully I'll have enough fuel to get home with.

5580F5FC220AD624350EFC282533AE9B3E7D3CF6

D4E1AA49471AA31892DD0E7637C319D16B405F5E

2D2F7DE6FF33A477A2B08E2C13F7B2FC6C69AD7E

Not as bad as it looks, just the decouplers popping.

163A4AF5DB92C1405DE8F3BA4B224E20D382AFFE

Time for my 10 min burn and on to Duna.

8F53AD63BD742777666B957665B8DFC161F59C63

Goodbye KSC...

F231B2662734FF7E0D202ADCFCACA495A741EA56

292AF59EC6B86F71A5818A924721D053F85C1E54

Today I came the closest to losing Bill and Bob I've ever been. Mind you, after more than 1600 hours in KSP, miraculously I have never lost either of them to any, errm, accidents. Sure, there have been good and bad times, Jeb has had some test flight accidents, and a couple other Kerbals, too, but never Bill or Bob. I had started a new 1.1 career last week and today was the day of the first Mun flyby. Really just a perfectly routine free-return trajectory flyby to collect the Worlds First achievement, some science and the trigger for

Spoiler

"Rescue Kerbal"

missions, nothing you'ld need a pilot for, so Bill and Bob got to the job - Bob being an obvious choice, and Bill because KIS needs an engineer. It started going wrong during the TMI burn when my return PE was a bit too high at 39km, but since it was a new ship design I hadn't flown before, I figured... sure, let's stay a bit on the safe side, can always fix it later. Except I didn't. And I had forgotten how flimsy the Science Jr. was. So during the first pass through the atmosphere, before I realized how much danger I really got the two into - the Science Jr. between the capsule and the propulsion stage blew up mere moments after entering the atmosphere, and with it my last 420 m/s of dV which I had hope to use for .. fixing the orbit. During the rising part of the second pass, they burned through the remainder of the ablator (of which I had only packed 100, because really, I never needed that much on a Mun return). By that time, the orbit was down to ~34km x 350km x 0.26deg or thereabouts, and I had pretty much given up on both the science and Bill and Bob. The parachute was armed, and there was nothing else that I could've done for them.

When I came back

Spoiler

from doing the laundry, because really, I'm kinda weak to such things and rather wouldn't watch them die a fiery death

they were sitting happily just off the runway. After two uncontrolled passes through the atmosphere and a final uncontrolled re-entry with no ablator left, they lad landed a mere 2.1km of the runway according to the after-mission report.

Thank you KSP for mockingly giving me this awesome ending.

Edited by Kiwa
spelling/grammar

3 hours ago, MrWolf83 said:

Sent my first manned ship to Duna, just a tourist contract, lesson learned though is remove oxidizer from tank that nukes will be feeding off of. Hopefully I'll have enough fuel to get home with.

Yessiree. Done that before.

On 5/1/2016 at 10:11 PM, Bigbootie said:

Additional boat pics. Had her up to 48 m/s with no issues.

68BD04253BA55B9B21C0FC8783A5389624292A2AE3F3AD09D166A5D712F54ECDD2339490B03BA099

I've had this one somewhere between 155 and 160 m/sec, going NE after starting in the ocean at the end of the runway:

screenshot1_zps23gy4xor.png

Went to that far away island:

screenshot4_zpszvizz93a.png

Made some distance, didn't I!

screenshot7_zpsteiegvvc.png

Edited by Wild Cobra

As I am still waiting for some mods to be updated I haven't started a new career in 1.1.2. Rather, I tried to create a shuttle in sandbox which will I later use in career mode when needed parts are unlocked. I finally managed to build a shuttle that I am able to fly without power and land on the runway using stock parts and Cormorant Aeronology. I used hack gravity cheat to get it up to speed and altitude before disabling the cheat and trying to glide it down. Success rate: 3/3 :)

bJ9oH9N.png

tbjlP4E.png

Took a Science Lander thingy to the Mün.

But I miscalculated and had way to much fuel left in the transfer stage so I stopped by my Münar station and dumped the surplus there (and dropped the spent stage).

negAlMV.png

A Science Lander and an almost empty Progress was already attached so it's a bit crowded :)

Edit:
Reached a new level of fail, or possibly a new level of kerbonaut safety.
When I went to undock and land the beast on the Mün I realised that I'd forgot to add crew to the lab (or they ran away).
So now I'll have to add an extra mission shipping two scientists to their new office.

Edited by Curveball Anders
Fail

[Technical]

Having figured out my idiocy (single pictures don't qualify as an "album"), I here-in post the culmination of my progress thus far.  First manned excursion into interplanetary space, first manned landing on an interplanetary body.

Oddly, in my attempt to get more margin and more utility from the flight, this landing was much more difficult and resulted in a planetary shut-down carrying Less fuel (viewers would have to look up my old post picture, I don't remember).  I flew this first manned attempt much more precisely as opposed to my unmanned trial last month.  Thus, I had much more fuel on board when I began my landing, which required a Far longer burn to safely come to rest.  However, I have confidence that the unmanned trial's quite ample fuel margin will allow for a safe return.

[Child inside]

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D:D:D  :P:)

Thank you to Everyone far more capable than I whose cumulative knowledge offered in these forums made this achievement possible.

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

Was launching a rocket. Got a phone call... When I came back I found a pile of fire and rubble... Luckily Jeb survived, because my early hard career could not have continued.