What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've found I'm not getting much of anywhere with fixing my A-380's problems. Whenever I fix one thing, it causes an even worse problem in an adjacent area, it seems. I think I might just resort to redoing the entire belly + gear housing.

In the above, a few panels near the front of the plane stripped back and ripped off some large panels at the wing roots, which flew back and knocked loose a large strip of tail panels (which eventually got pulled away by airflow). The panels at the wing roots coming off disconnected some of the struts to the wings, and a large portion of the right wing wrenched off, flew back (flipping over as it went) and slammed into the tail, knocking the back of the vertical stabilizer off, as well as most of the right tailplane. Somehow I managed to keep it flying by pretty much constantly holding s and keeping my speed up. I had to come in for landing at around 185m/s... it didn't exactly go too well when I ran off the end of the runway, but at least I can say a large portion of the passengers (if there had been any onboard) almost survived   In the last picture you can see that this was going on a dmp server (NoNameShips).

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

I sent a duner rover after tons of testing it all went well. then that "LOVELY" moment the rover flips over...      to top it all off I was on career mode. 

Finally got the Ike lander and rover together. The rover is now not only a rover, but more like a mobile science platform and habitat. It can gather resources as well, but that wont be a thing on this mission. The rover and the base of the lander will be left behind for missions to follow.

The Ike lander. It will carry the rover and drop it off prior to landing:

gzlJjwM.png

The Ike Surface Exploration Rover:

Zs64V61.png

So erm after Bob made yet another mess of things , him an Jeb got stranded on the Mun , sure they could lift off , but there ship would fry like a egg on re-entry to Kerbin . A Rescue mission was hatched , the ship was built an Val volunteered to rescue Bob an Jeb ( rumours of "i'm gonna punch that Bob bloke in the gob when I see him for making Jeb late for our Date *Again* are unfounded.........honest) Val took off asap and Rescued our two brave Kerbonauts , an they all lived happily ever after..........well ok till the next Bob / Launch Idea

Apollo%20Rescue%201.png

Apollo%20Rescue%202.png

Apollo%20Rescue%203.png

Apollo%20Rescue%204.png

Apollo%20Rescue%205.png

Apollo%20Rescue%206.png

Apollo%20Rescue%207.png

Apollo%20Rescue%209.png

Apollo%20Rescue%2010.png

I was working on some fancy rover today, it's probably useless but i love way it looks, and it's good at climbing, has good driving feel.

even though it does 60-70ms on ground, it was boring to bring it far places, i strapped two wings on it, looks fancier.

35 minutes ago, JebsDead said:

I sent 380 Kerbals to the Mun, landed, picked up 201 stranded Kerbals, and returned all 581 Kerbals to kerbin in a powered landing of my 1200t rescue ship. 

(Spoilers) 

Thats pretty goddam epic .

One Question 1.05 or 1.1 ?

10 minutes ago, Puggonaut said:

Thats pretty goddam epic .

One Question 1.05 or 1.1 ?

1.1.  Any of those ships would have ground my system to a halt in 1.0.5.  The whole thing started as an exercise in testing the 1.1 performance improvements.

Well, today (and a bit yesterday, but technically it was already "today") I carried out two missions on Mun:

1. In the first one I miscalculated delta-v for the mission + burned too much on ascent and trans-munar injection, plus forgot to refuel lander tanks - so my brave kerbonauts ended up on the surface of the mun with just 160 delta-v for the ascent + capsule on LMO with just too little fuel to return home. Hopefully, I provided them with 11 days of life support instead of original 6 days. But instead of rescue mission from Kerbin I decided to solve the problem in a little more Martian style. So I manually disassembled the lander and re-assembled it, leaving only the cabin, the smallest tank + engine and RCS tank + thrusters (to much disappointment of Jebediah, I had to leave his "Lucky Iron Anvil" back on Mun). Without any "garbage" I managed to achieve 350 m\s in delta-v budget, take off and rendezvous with the orbital module. Here comes the most funny part: journey back to Kerbin. As I said, I had not enough fuel + RCS to return back home. So again, KIS to the rescue! By throwing away such useless clutter as "Decouplers" (THERE AIN'T BETTER DECOUPLER THAN BILL WITH WRENCH), cargo bays and life support systems my brave Kerbonauts managed to achieve aerocapture by Kerbin atmosphere and safe splashdown. (Aaaaaand an old trick with EVA monopropellant).

2. Second mission was more boring. As a resul of the first mission and my frustration, I managed to create the next direct ascent lander with 2000 delta-v MORE than I actually needed (and I even wanted to go to Minmus after Mun).
Brought with lander a small rover, assembled it on spot. Took a trip 10km away to investigate anomaly. Found a monolith (2001 Space Odyssey soundtrack goes here). Suffered a lot of bugs and unexpected "fall-under-texture" events. This monolith is jinxed, take my words! Aborted lunar mission, safely returned back to Kerbin. Brought lots of !!SCIENCE!! from the moon. That's all.

Several missions were worked on:

I had a contract to expand my station around Minmus, and one to transmit science from the surface.  So I built a ship to handle both: 

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%203.24.4 

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%203.31.2

… and docked it to Minmus Stayshun...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%203.49.5

… undocked...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%203.57.5

and then proceeded to slam it into the ground due to manual time-warping deficiencies.  The ship is mostly destroyed, but happily it was u-ncrewed, and the cargo bay with probe core and science experiments remained somewhat intact so the contact could still be completed.  The loss of the ship was unfortunate, but $ was made in the end.

Next was a contract to put a new solar station into orbit.  I like these contracts because they are easy cash and you get a ship you can use later out of it.  Having just discovered the Sentinel instrument, the design of this ship centred around getting one of them into a position to be used at a later date.  This ship features four nuc engines and one skipper as well:

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%206.47.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%206.49.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%206.51.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%206.56.3

It's got all the science bits and pieces, a lab and the Sentinel.  It's now in an orbit close to that of Kerbin, but has plenty of fuel to move to a more useful one when the tracking station is upgraded to handle viewing asteroids.  I need to make a whack of cash for that to happen.

Next up was a contract that had been hanging around for many many days: Explore Jool.  The urge to send a manned mission was almost too powerful, but I resisted as I have been doing this career so far; probes first.  This became the most rocket-looking rocket I've rocketed in ages!

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%207.46.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%207.55.0

I spent all my funds upgrading the Research building so I could get to using ion engines on this Jool probe...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%208.50.2

Lastly was another contract for another new station around Kerbin.  I have two already, one at 200km up, one at 250km in a retrograde orbit, so I threw this one out to a 6,000 km circular orbit at 0 degrees.  Not sure why, I guess mostly because I could.  I wonder if it will ever become useful; so far no one is aboard...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-04%20at%208.25.0

Edited by justidutch

Got tons of science on early mun missions, got the mun scanned and 3 probes landed, I think we can go on a manned mun mission soon™. Also snapped some nice mun pictures today (and yesterday) oh and I landed the Munar probe Verdun IIII (I know it should've been IV but being sleepy doesn't help) with 0.00 m/s left :cool:.

http://imgur.com/a/YG0C2

Edited by ToukieToucan
imgur

4 hours ago, JebsDead said:

The whole thing started as an exercise in testing the 1.1 performance improvements.

That was an EXERCISE?! Holy [insert expletive here], I would love to see your actual playthroughs!

Tried to make a plane, but the instabilities with the landing gears prevents that.  Hopefully the later gears work better.  However, because of that, I tried to make a VTOL, which also failed, since I had to land in the water, at 100 m/s, so maybe I can get one to work, but it will have to land on parachutes over engines.

5 hours ago, KamenRiderzero1 said:

downloaded and installed some Spacex parts. The thing blew up on the pad every time on load.

I know how you feel. I downloaded a base part mod and when I dock a mobile research unit the base wobbles and spontaneously self combust.

Continued three ongoing missions last night:

First up was to finally land a ship/base that has been orbiting Duna for a long time.  It was decided to keep orbiting the planet until it exhausted all science research and transmitted it home, in case things explode horribly don't quite work as planned; plenty of years left on that contract for a second attempt should it be needed.  Here she is in orbit...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-05%20at%206.38.1

… and entering the atmosphere (such that it is)… 

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-05%20at%206.45.1

… and safe and sound on the ground with more than 4,000 units of fuel left, fulfilling the contract.  It should easily be able to get back into orbit if necessary.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-05%20at%207.04.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-05%20at%207.04.4

There is another Duna mission also under way, this time with contracts for a station in orbit, to explore Ike, and two rescues around Duna.  After about 45 days of time warp, this ship completed its rendezvous burn...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-05%20at%207.26.5

Only three days after that the Eve mission reached its rendezvous with the targeted planet.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-05%20at%207.42.0

It is also going to complete three contracts including explore Gilly.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-05%20at%208.07.2

I slightly screwed up this mission though; there is only one pilot aboard and neither the lander nor the mothership have probe cores.  So, when using the lander the mothership will drift aimlessly without SAS, so docking the lander to it might be slightly Interstellar-like.  But fun!

I finally decided to look up the two mods I've been waiting for, Modular Fuel Tanks and ItMustBeACamel's Procedural Parts, and downloaded them. Now to resume trying to make Gemini(-ish) missions. The first is a "fuel barge", to refuel the Munar Lander and the Crew Module (separate missions until they dock in orbit) before they attempt a Mun landing (and, one hopes, a successful return).

Here it is just after launch.

AS-4662_zpsdppp05oy.jpg

An earlier version, in orbit.
AS-4659_zpsvu0vp0bc.jpg

Edited by SSgt Baloo

Made a "plane" today.  It doesn't have a traditional landing gear for a plane due to them not working yet (starter gears), and this plane is also certified to land in water, making coast guard rescue missions possible, for one at a time of course.

For the first time in KSP I managed to get STS-like craft into Kerbin's orbit (105x103km) and it was with useful payload too (small station module) which I used to practice docking. Then I had successful re-entry but landing wasn't that good. I overshoot a bit and after I turned I crash landed just in front of the runway