What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Well, actually in 1.1.1 I had this fishbowl moment:

26610544400_94e12c2c36_o.png

I polished up my SSTO Flaming Bateleur in 1.1.2:

26826232011_fc3b6406ff_o.png

As you can see, it has the low/ high cockpits and the crew/ passenger module centering on the docking port/ air lock.  The cargo is about 5 tons of xenon tanks.

I fine tuned it until only a small amount of O2 remained in the tanks after burning all the fuel:

26800486212_922ccc7a9e_o.png

I would have had spare fuel/ oxy as part of the payload but due to my O2 fine-tuning I used it up; see the new apoapsis.  The new periapsis was around 76,000 meters.  Even if I had fuel left over, I tend to deorbit using monopropellant anyways.

26826234761_b2bb40500a_o.png

Of course one may carry just about anything that will fit as cargo, including the alternative; a crew habitat module, seen on the tarmac next to the SSTO:

26800493492_ed3e3a6b01_o.png

From below you can see another air intake.  An RTG is not clearly seen but is attached just ahead of the center Rapier engine.

26826240001_c24ed737d9_o.png

It safely returns to land or sea.  Below is a little picnic.  The Kerbals thought the cargo was snacks.  Too bad its those pesky xenon tanks.

26863840916_0934e7344b_o.png

Edited by Dispatcher

Flew a plane halfway around kerbin, to discover it lacks fuel, and also having retired that plane due to installing far, missed it too much.  Also made a VTOL search and rescue machine, using 6 juno's to take off and fly, could probably reach very high speeds, but with passengers on the outside, it's not exactly a safe thing to do.

Launched my first flight in RSS / RO in 1.1 with Jeb from Korou in French Guayana...

zA8VgoS.jpg

Upper stage seperating over the Atlantic. To bad I forgot to set the appropriate tank type for the spaceships engine. It required presurized fuel and thus was unable to ignite. Poor Jeb came down again after a short suborbital flight. :lol:

a3xHFy3.jpg

I tried my hand at modding (it didn't go well) without doing any reading and/or practice. I tried simply going into files and editing, and then this happened:

sEaYopi.png

I tried to make a Mk2 Ore tank by copying, then renaming/editing the part files. For some reason, they merged, and gave me this mistake (That said, I want them on every mining ship now). I might try again to make a 2m liquid fuel only tank, but I think I learned my lesson for today. At least it worked (that may be too strong a word) on the first try and didn't crash/corrupt the game...

Edited by Servo

Realism Overhaul for 1.1.2 was released, so I installed it and used the Real Scale Boosters Saturn IB by to get to orbit:

screenshot2.png

The upper stage has a really low TWR, some care is required to give the rocket enough time to circularize before falling back into the atmosphere.

Now to get RVE up and running and make everything pretty.

Prettiness achieved:

screenshot24.png

screenshot27.png

I got tired of the inflatable heat shield not dropping away, sometimes even after the chutes have fully deployed, so I tried using them in a different way.

screenshot10_zpss8aapjmx.jpg

Once I had slowed enough to deploy chutes, I just fired the upside-down decoupler I'd attached it with, fell away for a bit, then deployed chutes. It was still 7 km up when I splashed down.

Project II was a Gemini-ish version of the Apollo moon mission. The first stage wasn't quite enough to get it into orbit, but the second stage was good for circularization, as well as getting the rest of it to the Mun. The lander is in a 4-lobed inline fairing. Once the crew is in its way to the Mun, they open the petals, decouple, dock with the Munar module, decouple it from the second stage, and then correct course so they don't crash into the Mun like the second stage will. The command module has plenty of fuel to get back, once the Munar Module has done its mission.

screenshot2_zpsejovzxxk.jpg

The lander.
screenshot7_zpsh0icc083.jpg

More here: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/slideshow/8May2016

Edited by SSgt Baloo

Today I have finally reached Jool, its moons Laythe, Vall, and Pol, went to Eeloo, and Moho.  All using the same rocket design.  Arguably would've been cooler if I used the same rocket the whole time, but for someone who is just now getting to these places, that seems like it'd be a little too much for right now.  Anyway, was pretty interesting. 

A bit more Realism Overhaul fun, for the first time I put something in a pretty-much-circular orbit flying by hand in one continuous burn from launch. Soyuz and hot-staging FTW! 

Obligatory Korolev Cross pic:

screenshot35.png

Upper stage burning:

screenshot41.png

In orbit, panels deployed:

screenshot42.png

(We're just going to ignore the historical inaccuracy of launching a Soyuz from Cape Canaveral and splashing it down in the South China Sea.)

After more than 6 weeks of planing and craft building, today i launched the 10th and last module for my Duna Transfer Vehicle to orbit and docked it. Now one last payload has to be brought up, before the crew will be send up. The upcoming Duna Trek mission will include a crewed constellation style landing on Duna with rover, return vehicle, science platform and habitat, a crewed landing on Ike with a mobile habitat rover and return vehicle and high orbit survey of Duna by an ion powered high altitude plane (which is the payload that needs to be delivered).

The T4 Kerberos SLV-H, the launcher, which took 7 of 10 parts to orbit (here the initial launch with the central engine block):

4sfNKn9.png

Orbital assembly:

pZ4lVHw.png

The still to be delivered solar plane in test around Kerbin:

cGS3hrn.png

The fully assembled craft:

cKRzg1J.png

More infos are available on my craftfile thread and a separate thread with the complete mission, tons of screens and detailed mission info will be created, after the mission is finished.

Three different missions were touched on yesterday:

First was my Eve station ship around which is currently around Gilly, and the go-ahead to fulfill the Explore Gilly contract was received.  The tiny lander was deployed...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-07%20at%201.41.1

… then landed and collected science...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-07%20at%201.59.3

…and docked back to the mothership.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-07%20at%202.22.3

I think that took about 15 units of fuel, so I should be able to land on Gilly about 9,000 times.

When that was completed, KSC received and accepted a contract to build a second station around Duna.  Since there are already contracts under way for two rescue missions there the decision was made to build a ship that would fulfill those requirements, plus be able to return the rescuees home.  The engineers and designers came up with...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-07%20at%207.24.4 

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-07%20at%207.43.3

It has been dubbed the "Flagrant Fowl".  After completing the burn to Duna intercept the lone Kerbal on board, an engineer, noticed that the solar panels were faulty since they were not generating any electricity, but then he looked out a window and saw the reason:

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-07%20at%207.46.2

The last mission of the day was a new rescue contract around Mün.  The nuc taxi based at Mün Stayshun was deployed...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-07%20at%208.27.2

… picked up the lonely kerbonaut and returned to the station, joining a second rescued 'naut there.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-07%20at%208.44.1 

7 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

Went to check out on something they said to be class A... It turned out heavier than the ship!

Yes, it appears that all asteroids are spawning as 150 tons.  Perhaps you can add some more info to this bug report: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/9392

Edit: Though it does make contracts for larger asteroids quite a lot easier... a 150 ton class E takes a lot less pushing than a 3000 ton one... :wink:

Edited by Padishar

50 minutes ago, RenegadeRad said:

I honestly hate the aerodynamics engine of this game, I'm pretty sure my designs are legit, why aren't the flying to orbit properly? >:(

Damn sstos

@RenegadeRad Post pictures! We'll help analyze the designs and offer tips. This community rocks for that.

Today, I extended my early career remote tech network, and officially launched my first non-Kerbin mission to the Mun. I got an unkerballed satellite-and-lander combo onto a 50k root launcher, and its Mun-Bound now for a polar orbit to set up a SCANsat system.

I'm nervous about my lander - I overestimated my Delta-V capacity, and now I'm approaching to land on the Mun with just under 1000 Dv once circularized... I had to juggle fuel from my lander to my satellite just to get enough Dv to transfer and circularize. With little Dv for margin of error, and questionable remote coverage, I will be put to the test landing my first lander.

Tips on the best descent profile? I'll be circularized at around 200km polar, and need to land on the kerbin-facing side of the Mun. I'm comfortable with the flight computer, it just doesn't have the finesse to land remotely. I'm still in the first tier of the RnD center.

Trying to get science on a shoestring budget is always fun. Pictures to follow as the mission progresses.

-Khorso

Edited by Khorso
clarity of content

I've finally got things almost back to normal, with considerably more time between crashes - last night I played six hours before crashing! I worked up an Apollo-ish mission using a Gemini-ish capsule and one-kerbal lander. Now I have the confidence to move up to an Apollo-ish mission, using the three-kerbal capsule and a two-occupant lander. Not many pics, yet, as the automatic screen saver mod I was using seems to have gone away, but Here's what I've got so far: 

screenshot2_zpsoxewyxsk.png

I'm working on a different engine cluster for the first stage, but getting five engines on one stage can be a challenge. Getting the five best engines for the job on that stage will be a greater challenge (because I won't know which ones they are until I try a few :wink: ). 

screenshot3_zpscrqockun.png

2 hours ago, justidutch said:

When that was completed, KSC received and accepted a contract to build a second station around Duna.  Since there are already contracts under way for two rescue missions there the decision was made to build a ship that would fulfill those requirements, plus be able to return the rescuees home.  The engineers and designers came up with...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-07%20at%207.24.4

If that's not called the KSS Bowling Trophy, I'm going to be sad.

I've ventured to Bop in search of the Deep Space Kraken! 

It was a fun mission, enjoyed seeing Bop.  Alright I'm lying, Bop is very boring.  Their is literally nothing to see on Bop except hills, rocks, and dull looking terrain.  Fun stuff. 

10 hours ago, RenegadeRad said:

I honestly hate the aerodynamics engine of this game, I'm pretty sure my designs are legit, why aren't the flying to orbit properly? >:(

Damn sstos

SSTO (space planes) are the hardest things for me to get right.  For each one I might post images of here, it seems 20 versions preceded it.  I revise my design approach as new parts come out and the aerodynamics/ physics/ game engine (Unity) are updated.  The one I posted on the previous page is my best yet, and hauls a decent crew and cargo.

Edit:  I usually need to adjust my ascent and circularization variables too.

Edited by Dispatcher

Sort of an "ISV Venture Star"-inspired craft?  I thought Avatar was a terrible movie but I really loved that particular spacecraft.

Not entirely sure what to do with it, maybe a Jool 5?  Tylo and Laythe are still on my stock bucket list...  Needs a name, too.

x81xC1A.png

Edited by regex

Yesterday I continued with my RSS / RO game by throwing a 1.0.5 RP-0 install into it. It was a buggy mess, but good enough for some training untill RP-0 is updated to 1.1.

A refurbished and updgraded german V-2 rocket beeing the virst vessel launched...

KyCHjdl.jpg

It was followed by the RX-2 and several more high alt science rockets that were fired into the sky over French Guayana...

SYzUnQc.jpg

Those early rockets eventually all saw the same fate one way or the other...

RNP9VcI.jpg

Untill the RX-6 brought the first scientific payload with chutes and a heatshield into space that was able to return sample data intact to the surface...

W6sTK6N.jpg

The RX-5 was the first rocket that put a sattelite into orbit.

RxstyMN.jpg

And now the improved and much cheaper RX-7 has become the standard carrier for the early com sat network...

pcAk4Aa.jpg

And when I got up this morning, I noticed that RP-0 was updated to 1.1. So I can start a real career with it. :)

I will probably do a play-through thread for that. So I dont spam this thread here to much. :D

Edited by TrooperCooper