What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Im finally dedicating some time to figuring out realism overhaul/rss/rp-0. Made some decent sounding rockets, but mow im stuck on the simulator trying to get a design that worls for my first orbital satellite. Its tough, but im sure ill have a sense of accomplishment when i succeed. Getting close. just gotta manage to get the delta v i need in a size that will fit on an unupgraded launch pad, or wait two years game time...

Of course i am still in 1951 and sputnik didnt manage to launch until 57, so maybe i should just chill and improve on the suborbital designs.

Edited by EliasDanger

Today I launched a small expedition to get back into the swing of things, just to see if I still have an idea of how to launch really absurd stuff without any kind of plan to a target I decide after I launch it. Later I'll get it around Duna, but for now it's around the sun going towards Duna, with all of its 20 passengers. :P I kinda flew close to my space station, but other than a scare for the kerbals it's fine.

I may have a couple accidents before I made to space, though.

Edited by Pine
reasons

Technically it was yesterday, but whatever.

Put second rover on Minmus for no particular reason. Explosions included, as decoupling force was a bit too high and my rover started to spin without control. But I lost only one battery and single solar panel, so it counts as successful mission.

I had a contract to expand my Minmus station, so I added a Convert-O-Tron 250 and a Hitchhiker a couple of the 4K batteries and 4 RTGs. This was after a second launch when I realized that I had only sea level dV turned on on MJ's dV doofer when I was building it, so I had a profane amount of dV left over when I got to orbit the first time. Once I figured it out the problem, it actually had like 12k of vac dV... to go to Minmus.

So I rebuilt the lifter. :D

Still working on the space tugs, different versions.  Even one with a manned command module and stuffed Jeb into it.  Still over-corrected to everything - even on launch it over-reacts.  Now, I would love to blame MechJeb2 but can't.  I used HyperEdit to place one of the designs into orbit and told its SAS to do this and that.  Same results.  Yet, I have tried out a half-dozen designs and they all have the same problem.  Also, I know MechJeb2 was able to place the cores into space (mostly) so I am starting to feel that my ship designs are just unbalanced.  Could it be the nuclear engines?  They do weigh a lot and having two on the sides could be causing issues when the main body in the middle may be lighter.  And they are the only thing that is in each design - two side mounted nuclear engines.

I know Ion Engines will not work for tugs - unless I want to wait till the next ice age - so can anybody suggest a different engine useful for orbital work?  I wonder if I place lighter engines on it, will it be able to steer properly.  I know some people prefer different engines because the nuclear do take a long time AND overheat so quickly.

1 hour ago, Bigbootie said:

Built a cargo plane. New wheels made it annoying. Strapped a couple Thumpers to it an did this instead.

1A09C8A370BE61C18244D24BE3D24583D45E0BAC

I wonder if that's the Golden Ratio?

Mission control was attentive for exactly enough time to complete a 14 minute burn with the Solar-ResQ-ResQ mission, setting up a rendezvous with a stranded Kerbal in low solar orbit which will occur in about 40 days.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-25%20at%203.29.3

The Solar-ResQubed mission will launch shortly...

Last night I finished working out my 8 year,  <1300m/s route from Kerbin LKO to Jool using gravity assists from only Mun and Kerbin. Details here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/139121-kerbin-kerbin-slingshot/&do=findComment&comment=2601515

I'm sure it can be done better and I hope somebody tries.

I wrote an autopilot script for kOS that holds the altitude and does wingleveling for planes,
so I can cruise over kerbin without any control inputs after the course has been set.

Yesterday I finally decided to try my hand at planes again.
AS-4_zpsvn7kxfzf.jpg

I started with this one (the one on the left end of the chorus line)...
AS-7_zpsfs3913rv.jpg

...and ended with this one (at the far right of the line).

AS-35_zpsne4wzflr.jpg

More here: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/slideshow/26MAY16

ETA: There would have been more, but sometimes (very frequently) I'll forget to re-name the vessel before I make changes and save it again.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

6 hours ago, ValleyTwo said:

Still working on the space tugs, different versions.  Even one with a manned command module and stuffed Jeb into it.  Still over-corrected to everything - even on launch it over-reacts.  Now, I would love to blame MechJeb2 but can't.  I used HyperEdit to place one of the designs into orbit and told its SAS to do this and that.  Same results.  Yet, I have tried out a half-dozen designs and they all have the same problem.  Also, I know MechJeb2 was able to place the cores into space (mostly) so I am starting to feel that my ship designs are just unbalanced.  Could it be the nuclear engines?  They do weigh a lot and having two on the sides could be causing issues when the main body in the middle may be lighter.  And they are the only thing that is in each design - two side mounted nuclear engines.

I know Ion Engines will not work for tugs - unless I want to wait till the next ice age - so can anybody suggest a different engine useful for orbital work?  I wonder if I place lighter engines on it, will it be able to steer properly.  I know some people prefer different engines because the nuclear do take a long time AND overheat so quickly.

Well, if its similar to what I experience, try turning the gimbal on your engines if they have one way down or off completely, if that doesn't do it, turn off the torque on your reaction wheels. Usually fixes my issues unless my ship is horribly balanced. If my ship is shaking when SAS is on or when using MechJeb or Flight Computer, this fixes the issue. Also, when using flight computer, if my thrust is too high, at the tale end of the burn, autopilot will go nuts chasing the maneuver node and never catch it (important to click KILL right quick at that point). Turning down thrust fixes that problem.

Not sure if that's your issue or not, but no one else said anything about it, figured I'd try to be helpful.

5 minutes ago, EliasDanger said:

Well, if its similar to what I experience, try turning the gimbal on your engines if they have one way down or off completely, if that doesn't do it, turn off the torque on your reaction wheels. Usually fixes my issues unless my ship is horribly balanced. If my ship is shaking when SAS is on or when using MechJeb or Flight Computer, this fixes the issue. Also, when using flight computer, if my thrust is too high, at the tale end of the burn, autopilot will go nuts chasing the maneuver node and never catch it (important to click KILL right quick at that point). Turning down thrust fixes that problem.

Not sure if that's your issue or not, but no one else said anything about it, figured I'd try to be helpful.

Thanks.  I started a thread in the question section.  Sad to say none of the advice seems to be working.  I am starting to think it IS a MechJeb2 problem.  And as my skills at piloting sucks it looks like my game will be coming to a halt till either MJ2 is updated or the game is updated.  

Just sent 6 kerbals, 2 rovers for Duna, 1 rover for Ike, 2 orbital probes and 1 lander for 2 lucky kerbals to land and walk around. 6 launches over roughly 2 kerbin weeks.

It's a regular freight train of impending disaster.

1 minute ago, HoloYolo said:

Tinkered a rocket in career mode wondering why it wouldn't work when I realized I had the wrong SRB. Took an AMAZING screenshot, and went to orbit and back, also in career mode.

That is a gorgeous shot.  What visual mods are you using, if I may ask?

Went to Eve. Sandbox, but trying to get there with as much cost-cutting as I felt I could get away with. I settled on a Cargobird to orbit (low cost, recoverable except for the drop tanks and SRBs) , then a Justice-US (Terrier-powered transfer stage -simple and inexpensive) and due to a favourable transfer window and slight overestimation of required Delta-v on my part still had plenty of fuel left. Adjusted incoming trajectory to a 50km periapsis, and did a successful interplanetary aerobrake directly into descent. Sad bit? The Oscar B fuel tank and fuel cell broke on splashdown, so the thing was dead in the (explodium) water. Oh well! I don't go to Eve often, this trip might as well be eventful.