What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

36 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I'm getting a solid 25fps.

I really don't believe you are.  This is a common mistake players make due to the totally unhelpful stock fps graph.  It doesn't show frames per real-time second, it shows frames per in-game second.  This has the effect of making it bottom-out at 1/<max physics delta> fps (1/0.04 = 25fps) regardless of how many actual fps you are getting.  If you change the max physics delta option in the settings you will see a corresponding change in what the graph displays.  If you set it high enough you will probably start to see variation in the graph again (the max value of 0.12 should measure down to 8.33 fps which should be doable for 1049 parts).  There are various mods that give an accurate fps indicator or you can use an external tool such as Fraps to do it.

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

One thing though, if you look at the altitude in that image, it's fallen below the 300km orbit I'd put it in - again. :huh::mad: This is some funky game physics going on, and of course, needs to be looked into / fixed.

According to the latest devnotes, it has been...

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Last night I brought a Mun lander (and its transport) back and docked them with the station, which now brings the part count up to 1049. Even with all the lights on (which looks very cool when you're coming up to it to dock while on the nightside) I'm getting a solid 25fps. I can even EVA a Kerbal about without much problem.

Compared to the previous version, the new one is flying.  A part count like that would have dragged even a high end computer to a crawl, instead you just have a chug with an occasional hitch.  The performance gains have really been impressive, but the player base will find ways to push the envelope no matter how wide that envelope gets.  

32 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

Compared to the previous version, the new one is flying.  A part count like that would have dragged even a high end computer to a crawl, instead you just have a chug with an occasional hitch.  The performance gains have really been impressive, but the player base will find ways to push the envelope no matter how wide that envelope gets.  

Honestly, I'm not seeing (feeling) this performance increase. I've had large stations in prior versions (with plenty of lights on**), none of which were lagging as such until the part counts were well over 1000. And, surely, approaching this station, it taking some 20 to 30 seconds for it to load up (I'll have to time it next time), I never experienced in prior versions. A few seconds, yes. 20 to 30? No.

** Also with SAS on, from multiple docked ships even, where the SAS wasn't trying to tear the station apart.

2 hours ago, Padishar said:

I really don't believe you are.

Humm. Well, I can try out one of the mods and see if I can get better numbers. I don't have Fraps, but I do have OBS ... don't know off-hand if it will tell me fps though.

Spent 3/4 of my kredits to launch 15 science landers to the Mun, two ships to dock with my minmus station (MOLE parts), while only taking one passenger, a rover with a crew of three to land on minmus to gather all the science left on the landers sent there, and a lander to get the rover crew to the space station once they got all the science.

Edited by Itsdavyjones

1 hour ago, Andem said:

@adsii1970

Mind if I mimic your design a little? That sub looks awesome!

Sure, go ahead. If you'd like, once I get her balanced without the 15 degree downward slope, I will upload to KerbalX so you can get it and the mods needed.

Decided that it was time to bring a scientist to the base on Minmus which featured a science lab for some reason... So refilled my spaceplane (right hand craft on the image) in orbit, sent it to Minmus orbit, docked with the orbital facilities and thought that it was best to refill on the surface. As the space plane was designed for LKO it didn't feature one of those KAS fuel line connectors which turned out to be a problem: The mining base on Minmus didn't feature any KAS tools so I could not re-attach the existing connectors and docking on top of the small fuel ferry (middle craft on the image) was not feasible due to weight distribution. Turned out I sent a supply vessel to Minmus for the sake of having a screwdriver there.

Probably the most expensive screw driver of the entire career save...

http://postimg.org/image/ljcphxnfv/

Oh and just in case you wonder - the left vessel on the image does is a mining rig which was designed and launched prior to the discovery of the orange fuel tank :o

Finished up work on a single-launch geostationary satellite network script. The satellites are non-functional placeholders, used for testing the script. When I get around to installing RemoteTech, I'll use the script to launch some proper satellites. This script will work with any rocket with a TWR > ~1.2.

Well, Mission Control finally decided to take up space flight operations again. This means that Tandan, Sigrid and Bilfal's vacation on Laythe is over. - Climb up and strap in guys!

screenshot4221jg.jpg

Tandan hunkers down in his pilot seat, gritting his teeth. He knows of the reputation of the Kronos rockets, demanding careful balancing through the atmosphere during re-launch. Sigrid helps out with shooting off the landing struts and empty landing fuel tanks. She also ejects four of the remaining nuclear engines to lighten the rocket and improve dV.

screenshot4223jg.jpg

Kronos_C climbs rapidly towards the black space.

screenshot4248jg.jpg

Coasting towards the apex, where the trajectory will become a stable orbit with a hefty burn.

screenshot4244jg.jpg

And moments later, it's time to escape Laythe directly. No dwelling here. Burning the last splash of chemical rocket fuel.

screenshot4254jg.jpg

Well, it remains to be seen, if our heroes will be able to reach their home, considering the unstable nature of the universe. But if they do, that will conclude a surprisingly fruitful mission. A mission that will also bring home a ton of unexpected science points - not that they're needed, but it's nice to feel that the mission is rewarded.

Edited by Vermil

I've been working a bit more on the aerodynamics of my nuke SSTO and found a setup that handles reasonably well and had some fun with it :

uUCYuZf.jpg

"Yay! We landed in one piece!" \o/

Edited by el_coyoto

I returned to flight after a year hiatus to see how things were.  Spaceplanes definitely harder, but I got this little girl up as a test runner.

U98ZvDX.png

Edited by sumrex
update

14 hours ago, Padishar said:

As for it being scary when approaching this sort of thing, yes, I agree.  When I was building the station in my avatar which consists of 42 vessels launched on 6 separate rockets (5 "edges" and 2 "vertices" each), I was running on a potato of a laptop and I missed my "braking" burn a couple of times because the game froze for over a minute when coming into physics range.  Luckily I missed the station though, on one approach, I did have to burn off-retrograde to make sure...

I don't have the screenshot anymore, but I had a similar experience on 0.24 - a 450 part station, but I didn't miss.  Oddly enough, the Kerbal on the ship survived, as did most of the station occupants, but I scattered about 40 pieces of debris all over the orbit, not counting the 20 or so parts that were outright destroyed.  I wasn't trying to do it deliberately, so the screenshots I got were after the fact, but it was seriously spectacular.

My Multi-Purpose Space Station completed the final contract of it's mission, with a precision powered landing near the Face on Duna. On the way it completed contracts for a Kerbin Station. two solar stations (stock and Bases&Stations pack), Duna Station, Ike Station, Ike Base, and Duna surface science. It also radio'd in enough science to finish the tech tree, not bad when I forgot an aux battery and was running on just 200ec. Good thing I had 8 Gigantors!

A very proitable mission!

IKDPVvG.png

Oops, wrong pic... Lets's see here.... Ah here we go! Take 8:

S54stXt.png

Well, I sent a spaceplane up to ferry some kerbals back to KSC after a stint on a minmus science station. After maneuvering to set myself up with a decent intercept with their current ride however, I realized that I never put any RCS thrusters on the ship. Since the spaceplane was beginning to run low on oxidizer, I didn't want to waste too much on this rondezvous (I'd rather not leave the thing stranded in orbit). The result was three kerbals traversing the 350m+ distance between the ships via EVA on the dark side of kerbin. Worked out better than my luck would normally have it. Everyone made it back planet-side in one piece, and everyone gained some xp. Needless to say, after recovering the vessel it immediately was upgraded to include RCS. :wink: