What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Still toying with rover landing systems, this time on Laythe, a planet moon I rarely ever go to. My practice in aiming landings is paying off, it seems! Disclosure again - I'm playing with lander design, so using Hyperedit to reach Laythe orbit. Seriously, I've done enough full missions to the Jool system that I feel justified!

This one is a design that also worked well on Duna. I've stripped the ablator from the heat shield (don't really need it on either world due to low air pressure on Duna and low orbital veolcity on both) and use the parachute to help control descent. Final approach is handled with help of the engines to bring the assembly to a hover a half meter or so from the ground, then the rover is dropped and the skycrane flies away to go crash somewhere. :sticktongue: It's worked well on two worlds so far - I might try testing it on Kerbin, or a version with more thrust and fuel to be sent to Eve.

- So...

Tandan, Sigrid and Bilfal struggled mightily to acquire a slingshot from Tylo. To no avail. The new navigation nodes and strangely morphing trajectories kept screwing them. Eventually they had wasted enough dV-fuel and they were on a so wide orbit that there was no sense anymore. The best option was to just burn conventionally for escape from Jool.

screenshot4289jg.jpg 

Unfortunately, the navigation nodes positions continued to be awkward to adjust. The result of that was a not particularly good transfer trajectory to Kerbin. Seemed there was nothing to do about it, so Tandan hoped he would be able to adjust the trajectory when they got closer to Kerbin.

screenshot4306jg.jpg

...But that was not the case at all. The trajectory didn't offer any possibilities to be improved with subtle nudges. The most fuel efficient option was a conventional braking burn. ...- However! Tandan did find a slight sling-brake with Mun. Here Kronos_C is back in familiar space and passes the dear old Mun.

screenshot4317jg.jpg

- Home sweet home!  The crew is in an ecstatically good mood.  ...Despite the rather minimal amount of fuel left for the final braking. "Eeh, it should be alright." 

screenshot4319jg.jpg

Well it was. But this was the third manned Laythe expedition, and the second one to use up every single drop of fuel. It's remarkable how exactly the fuel measured up at every stage of the journey. Fuel situation has improved with modifications to the Kronos, but this was the first trip that had to manage all the way with almost only conventional burns. No sling-shots, no aero-braking. And when the last drop was burned, they went in somewhat hard. Hard enough to blow up a good deal of scientific equipment (and thus losing science points) as well as some landing struts. Good thing they're going down in the ocean.

screenshot4332jg.jpg

How well it floats. While they wait for pickup, they have a moment to contemplate over that their greatest adventure in life has come to an end. A happy end.

Cerly, Eilla and Asdra are now impatient to get their chance on Laythe. But will they? This expedition yielded a surprise 2401.3 points, despite losing some to reentry heating, and we're now at 9419.9 surplus points. We've visited Shores, Dunes and Sagan Sea. Why spend the effort to go back to Laythe a fourth time? Because "it's there"? Or because the rocket can be improved? And because the rovers can be improved? Well, Mission Control and Dr Horst don't know yet. Right now they're just happy to have all their Kerbals back home. Maybe there will be another. But why not go somewhere else? Vall? Time will tell. But right now there are plans for activities on Mun, and Duna. And maybe Eve will be considered again?

screenshot4338jg.jpg

Dr Horst: "Well, we elected to run this return journey on the 32-bit client. And that was at least not a wrong decision. It remained stable throughout."

Edited by Vermil

Been able to progress pretty steadily in this game, until it came to docking. This gave me a lot of trouble, but finally got it. The Shenron Space Station has finally been docked with for a test/ crew transfer from the first launch of the Crew Delivery Craft (CDC.) I intended to dock with a smaller stage, but turns out I went way overboard for fuel on this run. I plan to build a bigger, more ISS like station eventually and I will add to this one, but would like to explore the solar system before that.

Next up, adding the Senzu Refuel Module to the Station so I can get that sweet, sweet science awaiting on the other planets.. Thanks for keeping me motivated with all your awesome stuff you guys do. Its really cool to see what people are capable of in this game. 

The LV-N discussion make me think, no I don't use them for interplanetary trips, here I prefer something far more kerbal with more punch.
Dsx1g9Kh.png

Qualification testing on an mission to Gilly, base with lab, greenhouse and isru, heavy tug with science module initial mission is science in orbit an licking the atmosphere on eve, Main opperation is handling eve lander modules and returning very brave and hot kerbals to gilly. 
Then an workshop with an 3d printer for making smaller parts. 
Note that this is an simulation to ensure structural stability during the 12km/s burn at 4g peak. 380 ton /500 parts/ Eve in 50 days. 

Yesterday I launched a Duna satellite deployer into orbit.
When I came back today to send it to Duna, I noticed that I forgot to bring some antennas for the transfer vessel itself.
I might use kOS or the drone core during the trip (or the trip back), so I need those extra antennas.
What I did now was to assemble a small craft to deliver those antennas to my Duna transfer vessel still waiting in Kerbin orbit.
So I put a Communotron32, an 88-88 and an electric screwdriver into my pilots KIS inventory and rendezvous with my Duna vessel.
A little EVA to find out my pilot cannot use the screwdriver.... :rolleyes: ... but luckily I had a pilot AND an engineer (Nicole) on my Duna vessel (to be more realistic).
So Nicole EVA'd over to my pilot Neilcott, took the antennas and screwdriver, flew back to the Duna vessel and bolted those antennas onto the craft.
It's now ready for the journey. But I'm not sure if I am....
BTW: Those litte (or big) things that go wrong ,but can be fixed with all those cool mods are, what I like the most about KSP. :cool:

Sorry, no screenshots. But the rendezvous was done in the planets shadow with no lights on both vessels.
So there was not much to see except for the small area lit by the suit lights...

15 minutes ago, Cairol said:

Yesterday I launched a Duna satellite deployer into orbit.
When I came back today to send it to Duna, I noticed that I forgot to bring some antennas for the transfer vessel itself.
I might use kOS or the drone core during the trip (or the trip back), so I need those extra antennas.
What I did now was to assemble a small craft to deliver those antennas to my Duna transfer vessel still waiting in Kerbin orbit.
So I put a Communotron32, an 88-88 and an electric screwdriver into my pilots KIS inventory and rendezvous with my Duna vessel.
A little EVA to find out my pilot cannot use the screwdriver.... :rolleyes: ... but luckily I had a pilot AND an engineer (Nicole) on my Duna vessel (to be more realistic).
So Nicole EVA'd over to my pilot Neilcott, took the antennas and screwdriver, flew back to the Duna vessel and bolted those antennas onto the craft.
It's now ready for the journey. But I'm not sure if I am....
BTW: Those litte (or big) things that go wrong ,but can be fixed with all those cool mods are, what I like the most about KSP. :cool:

Sorry, no screenshots. But the rendezvous was done in the planets shadow with no lights on both vessels.
So there was not much to see except for the small area lit by the suit lights...

Late time delivery with parts is an standard :)
Things to bring always. Drills, extra antennas, some kas ports, kis strut end points. 
Nice to have, spare batteries, solar panels a probe core or two, small reaction wheel, small docking ports. 
Good idea to bring some small engines, either to build or upgrade probes or just for testing. 

Oh yeah. After a few in flight saves and  a good night's sleep I made it. First landing attempt too. Although I had some F5's in my back pocket. 

61CE8F2352F8726EAB35874F435FAA9428107A09

Honestly thought I was gonna crash here.

26CAC00999A255BE2A46845F1A014C7586DE6481

092354506FAD86826DE1C54D3776A6B36DF3FCEF

In sight.

AB43CC43A23D817E981CC22DE735407472C3BC96

Stay on target...

4D3EC2617DCFFCB1C8B7F7885789CD98B126123E

14E016A18F89D7DD6D1E0F041C539E01FCA9AEE3

1A16BCEB4C5F6142BA6E3201587CB6516B5AE9D5

I honestly think I can land any plane now.:cool: up until this point I would not have said that.

Payload deployed and parked next to drill for fill up.

070EC641660A66F6FC0A6B87C4022BBDE2DBF678

BB6050A32B1FF3278F6902FC62E1ADEE3F946DF8

EE3F7EEF5E762DFB5B9D98D89C1FB426C0730516

5722943B74B29D312DF2F69F97935C69534D30F1

Went to the mun. Asked myself, "where on the mun haven't I been yet?" The poles sounded dreary, so I went for the Canyon. Apollo style, too. Kerpollo 7, the mission was called.

Edited by moogoob

The Jool expedition moves to Bop.

The science lander and service module arrives with the miner lander en route.

screenshot461_zpsxum402se.png

Magienna is no longer a rookie with her first landing

screenshot467_zps3hdbj7qi.png

Next the expedition moves to Pol. The miner arrives to meet up with the rest of the group

screenshot468_zpsdtxzlidl.png

And Bob gets the call for the last landing of the expedition.

screenshot470_zpsm7icq7p3.png

And gets it done 

screenshot472_zpsgmbjvoex.png

All five of Jool's moons now have a flag for the first time in any of my games. :cool: Now it is time to bring the Kerbals home.

Ok, so, heres the story. I have ordered a new print from Eucl3d, and with a bit of work with the fine folks there, I am getting a print that is being printed in the same EXACT scale as my first print <by this i mean, the new print is going to be in scale to the first print, like in KSP where all ships made with MK3 parts are to the same scale, well, thats whats being done by Eucl3d for me>.

First Print: Gantry Class Shuttle: 

XDeu8nz.jpg SO, keeping this ship in mind, the current order I have, is to that scale.

With that said, THIS is what I did in KSP today, I flew both the Gantry Class shuttle and the Goliath Class Shuttle, the Goliath being on order right now, yay :) and I took this picture so I had my own reference point of what I should expect when it arrives:

Goliath is on our left with Gantry on our right:

DGtoog0.png

I know, its not much of a what I did today, but, hey, its something right? :D

How do you guys play the game in such a well planned manner, I want to do this too, play the game in a scheduled and professional manner, but I just derp around with random design. Please help me or I will get bored D: 

10 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Late time delivery with parts is an standard :)
Things to bring always. Drills, extra antennas, some kas ports, kis strut end points. 
Nice to have, spare batteries, solar panels a probe core or two, small reaction wheel, small docking ports. 
Good idea to bring some small engines, either to build or upgrade probes or just for testing. 

Well, normally I have some spare parts on my rocket. Especially solar panels, struts and a Communotron32.
Since I once managed to sheer off a solar panel with Jeb attached to a KAS winch (aka: security strap for EVAs) flinging around my craft,
I usually have some standard parts to bring with me to space. :rolleyes:
But for some reason I didn't pack any spare parts this time...

Edited by Cairol

5 hours ago, RenegadeRad said:

How do you guys play the game in such a well planned manner, I want to do this too, play the game in a scheduled and professional manner, but I just derp around with random design. Please help me or I will get bored D: 

Well, I don't know what you mean, exactly, with "derp around with random design". Nor am I the great planner or organizer of complex operations. But one thing that I think I am decent at, is getting my rockets to perform almost flawlessly. The way I do that is I work on it. Lots of work. My crowning achievement sofar is Kronos, my 'workhorse' for manned Laythe expeditions. And that took me literally months of efforts to get to. But as significant as that, is also that it didn't start from scratch. It started from the concepts and experience already gained from success of manned missions to Duna and unmanned missions to Jool and laythe. And those, in turn, started from the experience gained from unmanned missions to Duna and manned missions to Mun. And those, in turn, started from the experience of manned missions to Minmus, which started from the experience of missions to orbit minmus. And those were preceded by missions to orbit, preceded by missions to space (ballistic trajectory), preceded by an effort to just get higher, preceded by the effort to just get a rocket into the air and recover it safely.

So my advice to you is simply that you have to go up every step of the ladder.

Let me tell you that I totally failed at KSP when I originally purchased the game. I started a sandbox game and tried to build awesome rockets. Total failure. The game then rested in limbo on my computer for almost a year. But one day, for no particular reason, I had another go at it. And this time I pretended to put myself in Robert Goddard's shoes. That is: I had to create space history, experimentally figure out how to do it, by trying one step at a time. And not to take any chances with Kerbal lives, as to hopefully not lose any astronaut. This time I chose 'Science Sandbox', giving immediate access to only a few basic parts. And that was the ticket to a tremendous ride that I'm still enjoying.

I don't know if this is the answer you were looking for, or if it's even relevant for you, but that's my story.

As for the design method for a rocket like Kronos, it's a backwards process, you start with the end of the mission. It goes something like this: What will make the re-entry and will be recovered at the end? Build it and test it. What will it take to get that into a Kerbin orbit from a transfer trajectory from Jool? What will it take to get that from an orbit around Laythe, to escape Jool and get a transfer trajectory to Kerbin. Build that. What will it take to launch that from Laythe's surface to Laythe orbit? Build that. What will it take to land that on Laythe's surface from orbit? Build that. What will it take to get that from Kerbin orbit via Jool transfer trajectory to Laythe orbit? Build that. What will it take to launch that from kerbin's surface to orbit? Build that.

To build one rocket to do all this, like Kronos, is NOT the smartest or best way. I ended up with a +1000 parts monster at 8,500 tonnes, with 50 sequential stages and 8 toggles, all of which has to work perfectly. It's far easier to device a scheme utilising a set of vehicles, separate lander etc and dock and assemble in orbit. But I'm not smart. I'm lazy and I wanted to go to Laythe before I wanted to learn how to rendezvous and dock. That's why it took months of hard work. As it turns out, learning to dock is far, far easier. Just so you know.

And remember to test. You will run into umpteen unforeseen problems and mistakes. From modules not working the way you presumed to outright mistakes in the scheduling order. The only way is to patiently weed them out, one by one.

Edited by Vermil

6 hours ago, RenegadeRad said:

Set some goals. For me at first, getting to Duna and back was it. Since I play in a Science campaign mostly I needed to get to orbit, go to Kerbin's moons and collect science. Then learn to build bigger rockets, sending probes and rovers. And then finally a Kerbal'ed mission.

You don't need to have detailed plans, in fact your plans will not survive contact with the actual mission. Learning to adapt with what you have is the best skill to learn in this game.

But I still derp around randomly too. You can accidentally come up with some useful stuff that way. :D

After a very very long time I finally started a new career lately.

So far I have a space station around Kerbin and docked a second Class A asteroid to it.

AAzm0Jw.jpg

I sent another space station around Mun

mBfGiR2.jpg

And an outpost on Minmus

rwi0gGT.jpg

Time to leave Kerbin's SOI

Edited by Nookos

Time to bring the Jool expedition home. The mining lander is used as a booster using up the fuel that can't be loaded into the service module (And totally being reminded that 2 large ships under thrust with just a Clamp-o-tron docking port connection has all the structural integrity of a wet noodle)

screenshot474_zpsparqe5pt.png

After many small course corrections, with time between them to let the oscillations die down, the mining lander is ditched and the expedition arrives at Kerbin for orbital insertion.

screenshot476_zps8c5i7eps.png

The crew enjoys a view of home while an orbit or two is spent letting the engine cool down after an 8 1/2 minute burn.

screenshot478_zpsqauftwqx.png

After Val parks the ship at the space station Jeb grabs the science and transfers it to the Kerbin return service module that is waiting there.

screenshot479_zpsh4vitk8e.png

And after a routine landing the expedition members pose for publicity photos while awaiting pick up.

screenshot481_zps3lqzwpwu.png

11 hours ago, RenegadeRad said:

I agree with N_Danger and Vermil. Make a plan and stick to it. I make up missions and goals for myself and after 800+ hours in the game I still find things to do. I do get bored, I take a break, play something else, and then I will get inspired to make up another type of mission and come back to KSP. Once you get a real good grasp of the game mechanics things get easier. After all, this is just a video game. One other thing I do is stay away from the grind of career mode, that is a recipe for frustration and boredom in my opinion. Once I finished the tech tree in science mode a couple of times I have been playing sandbox ever since. The way I see it is that I unlocked all of the parts, so now they are all mine. :huh: