What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After a month of testing everything out I have decided to start my International Space Station build. Using RSS and RO tanks/engines I will attempt to recreate it as close as possible. Inclination is at 51 degrees and currently will be built at 400km. Here is the launches of Zarya and Unity.

Well, "what I did yesterday".

Finally collected two copies of every "science" in every biome on Minmus.  One copy delivered to KSC, one copy in (Kerbin) orbit.  The point of the second copy is to go in a mobile lab, preferably on a Minmus polar region (and yes, I stuck a flag at a site that can have 24x7 sunlight: this mission got everything done).

The reason this was an important mission is that it was the whole reason my 1.0.x career start ground to a halt.  I had 3 copies of all KSC science in a train of mk1 capsules near the launchpad and a dread of manually dragging each copy up into a rocket, to say nothing of doing a mission exactly as above only with 4 copies of the science.  Finally dropping three mobile labs on Minmus (and at least joining them temporarily for a specific contract) was burning me out.  The nerfing of multiple labs was a relief: my original plan to stay on 1.0.x and finish the grind was easily dropped when I heard about the "leadership initiative".  Since I prefer milestones to contracts, this spurred me to 1.1 (and then finding out about the "reputation gate*", oh well).

Problems: I returned with 6800 science (I had already one crewed landing on a biome and had been landing my probes on the various flats of minmus when they were finished).  I was able to unlock everything up to the level 3 gated techs (which cost ~$2M kredits**).  Unfortunately, my "leadership initiative" might make it difficult to unlock the rest (it is responsible for at least 2k of the science) due to that is about 90% of my current funds...  I still plan on launching the "Minmus Institute of Technology" (the mobile lab on Minmus's pole), but don't expect to use any of the science for awhile.

* reputation gate: The "leadership initiative" at 100% gives you a 150% to all milestones hit and a 50% bonus on science "field work", but cuts all your contract rewards in half.  While this level only costs about 100 "reputation" (which as far as I can tell is only visible when attempting to start this program, otherwise it just gives a percent), it requires something like a reputation of 700 to start.  I started it at about ~80%.

** Has anybody made a US+ keyboard with a "coke bottle***" button to allow "GBPounds", "Euro", umlaut, and other buttons that I would have to tape up a "alt + keypad" cheatsheet (opposite of my dear KSP subway map)?  It looks like "kredits" are no longer "roots" but "pounds", at least in my game.

*** old EMACS joke.

Yesterday I planted a flag on Pol... and today was not there!

Checking better the landscape, I see that my flag is going down the slope

Careful how you plant flags!  :lol:

4 hours ago, hellblazer said:

After a month of testing everything out I have decided to start my International Space Station build. Using RSS and RO tanks/engines I will attempt to recreate it as close as possible. Inclination is at 51 degrees and currently will be built at 400km. Here is the launches of Zarya and Unity.

Your video looks terrific! Parts that I've never seen, a planet that looks quite realistic... What mods are you using? I only have one installed.

15 minutes ago, LordCorwin said:

Yesterday I planted a flag on Pol... and today was not there!

Checking better the landscape, I see that my flag is going down the slope

Careful how you plant flags!  :lol:

Your video looks terrific! Parts that I've never seen, a planet that looks quite realistic... What mods are you using? I only have one installed.

Here is a link. Way too many to list (113 individual mods)

ODryXtB.jpg

and thanks

Edited by hellblazer

Had to mothball my eve mission due to wheel physics breaking the rover I was relying on to build the base, which is scattered over 15km! Well wheel issue or the high gravity world of eve is now made of soap... 

The other day, I decided to take a look at RSS Extrasolar and try to make the Kepler-22 system in Real Solar System. RSS Extrasolar had a few bugs, and the Kepler-22 system failed horribly.

Onto today, I made a lot of progress on updating Kumar's Dwarf Stars. All I need to do is get some screenshots and fix a few bugs before it will be released tomorrow.

I landed a probodyne with a swivel engine attached (no fuel) in the ocean for one of those stupid parts-testing missions and something popped up in achievements:  I got a world record, "10 meters underwater"!  Sure enough, the rocket engine made it heavy enough it was being pulled under the sea.  I let it keep going, but its glacial pace started to bore me, so I cut the chute.  Several world records later it hit bottom at 10m/s and blew up the engine -- reducing its weight and making it bouyant.

Now I'm gonna try doing the same thing on purpose with thermometers and crap.

Edited by Corona688

Today marked a great day in my Space Program. I'm done grinding all the biomes from Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus.

Landed, flew high and low over, orbited high and low over and splashed every single biomes ( Including KSC's ), performed every science experiments, EVA reports, crew reports, so on and so forth.

Not a single piece of Space Junk in sight ( I plan a lot for ZERO JUNK ).

My trusty Reaper III ( Minmus ) and Reaper IV ( Mun ) reusable, refillable, restorable Lander Modules now both resting on the last biome they've landed on, by the mission flag, completing their grand tour of their respective moon.

The fleet of expedition and resupply vessels , the Aldrin series ( Saturn-V Hommage, no lander since Reapers stayed in orbit of the destination ) now retired. 

I never went interplanetary yet.

Out of fear I might mess it up.

850+ hours logged now. 

This is it. 

Wish me luck.

o7

1 hour ago, Corona688 said:

I landed a probodyne with a swivel engine attached (no fuel) in the ocean for one of those stupid parts-testing missions and something popped up in achievements:  I got a world record, "10 meters underwater"!  Sure enough, the rocket engine made it heavy enough it was being pulled under the sea.  I let it keep going, but its glacial pace started to bore me, so I cut the chute.  Several world records later it hit bottom at 10m/s and blew up the engine -- reducing its weight and making it bouyant.

Now I'm gonna try doing the same thing on purpose with thermometers and crap.

It works!

undersea.png

...I'm not sure I actually netted any science points I couldn't have just by splashing down, but that was fun.  Maybe there's a deeper ocean area or something.

Edited by Corona688

Established my Gilly base I worked so long to make ready.
VabY0dll.png
Start of burn, I went retrograde compared with sun, relative speed compared with Eve was 20km/s who was more than planned, braked to 2 km/s and intercepted Gilly again retrograde. 

aAerrNRl.png
final braking burn before entering Gilly SOI, 

XjURvJ6h.png
Gilly base with all the kerbals planting flags and messing around. 
Main base structure based on planetary bases but with an fuel tank at bottom. 
Tower in back is an small part workshop. Also has an lander / tug / science module for Eve orbital operations. 

The orion is in Eve orbit and will return back to kerbin as soon as I set up an trajectory.

Edited by magnemoe

7b536abdecd9.png

Had to land a propulsion module on top of a lander's capsule.

How did it happen in the first place? The autopilot didn't like something about the terrain and the craft tumbled. Attempts to takeoff horizontally resulted in loss of half the propulsion module, loss of control and loss of what remained of the propulsion on impact with the ground...

3 hours ago, Alchemist said:

7b536abdecd9.png

Had to land a propulsion module on top of a lander's capsule.

How did it happen in the first place? The autopilot didn't like something about the terrain and the craft tumbled. Attempts to takeoff horizontally resulted in loss of half the propulsion module, loss of control and loss of what remained of the propulsion on impact with the ground...

So you docked an new module on top :)