What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've gotten comfortable with docking and upgraded my Orbital Science Lab. Up until now it was in the same 'stick' configuration I launched with. I brought up a new greenhouse and an additional fuel storage module, then reconfigured it into a more compact form that doesn't flex as much when I'm doing maneuvers. My fav is my new manned orbital tug - spent a lot of time balancing the RCS and it worked like a dream for moving the modules around.

Original configuration:

2qhhbEb.jpg

Updated configuration with new modules:

zCg3QoJ.jpg

Closeup angles showing Orbital Tug docked on the left:

Sw5AdL9.jpg

Includes parts from Near Future Spacecraft , Stockalike Station Parts and from USI Life Support

Edited by tjt

12 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Today I sat and watched what should have been a stable orbit around Mun gradually decay ... the Pe dropping steadily with each passing minute, for no obvious reason.

I thought this was fixed. :angry:

Just chalk it up to scientific accuracy. REAL orbits around the moon also decay, due to the lumpy gravity field and mass concentrations. :P

11 hours ago, Bigbootie said:

Today I am in the design progression an Eve space plane. Man is it ugly.:P Still in the early stages...

First attempt, notice the crooked rear wheels, this made for an interesting non-takeoff.

Not to discourage you, but if that plane is intended to lift off from Eve's surface and hit orbit, I don't think you've got the deltaV or thrust to manage it. :(

54 minutes ago, foamyesque said:

Not to discourage you, but if that plane is intended to lift off from Eve's surface and hit orbit, I don't think you've got the deltaV or thrust to manage it. :(

Baby steps, man. Baby steps.:sticktongue:

Didn't actually play the game today. But based on a week and 1/2 playing, completed an updated Mission Report with final planning post prior to imminent launch of the Elcano Challenge, circumnavigation of Kerbin by sea and land! 
May or may not include: 

-Air-dropping a boat out of a high-supersonic transport. 
-Detailed aerial surveys of several picturesque locations around Kerbin (including using in-cabin MFT for recon pictures)
-Mapping and route planning
-Craft design
-Strange, polar anomaly encounter

RwgHfsA.png

Edited by Maverick_aus
fixing

For the past several weeks I've been working on a fully stock, fully functional Airwolf helicopter replica - complete with 'missiles' made of cubic octagonal struts and seperatrons! The design also incorporates a completely stock hinge that allows both the main and tail rotors of the craft to rotate! I went all out with the editing on this video to really capture the 80s feel of the original show so any feedback is greatly appreciated! 

I spent so long just building the crafts used in this video and another large chunk of time finding good recording locations to really create an awesome montage that resembles the TV intro!

Enjoy! :D

Edited by hazard-ish

Started an RSS career today and got rewarded for my first orbit with this beauty shot:

tnIKiGb.png

Now i need more mods as rescue-contracts from orbits like these certainly are a net minus (i'm roleplaying a bit and it's the only way i'm allowed to "hire" new kerbals). Afterall, we're here to show these pesky humans how its done :wink:

Spoiler

ero4MIX.png

Designed most of the modules for the KSS (ISS-inspired space station).  I'm taking the real ISS modules and approximately duplicating their function (without worrying overmuch about exactly duplicating the look).  I test-assembled it all in the VAB and then saved off each module other than the core service module as a subassembly for launching.   In keeping with my Egyptian nomenclature, I did my best to find a corresponding ancient Egyptian word for the name of each module (some I had to be flexible on)...

I also created a tug with a claw, two different sizes of docking port, big reaction wheels and lots of thrusters and monoprop, to do the assembly work.

I'm debating adding the Science Power Platform on the "Russian" side that was canceled IRL.   I sort of like the way it looks... I suppose I can wait to get the whole thing on orbit and see if I have enough power already from the other arrays, and then launch the SPP-analogue if I need it!   Also thinking about looking into a Life Support mod (I don't currently have one installed) to make a "Progress"-type resupply vehicle necessary rather than "cosmetic."

Got a little carried away. Think I'm gonna play some Dragon Age 2 for awhile and think about this one some more.

Screens are in order from about a 1hr 15min session of insanity.

BB3D96FE85851F784C09058E3B54A3F824E07816520BBBA98AC0CDCE697314F6E08B2EF20B43AF0DAEF3AFC0A0ACC4183FB4BA37B0F0FCCE0B829420BAD64FA676EC77D9A0D5F0221E62FBACD1F5BCC272DD418E6EA93CC55110383A16F77136957D72D65F42716350A4A007249AF2DEFD2B0318010C763D9F4F7F0DE3CFB8C504ED76B644C0A60A8CD469253FE419CA83C2B652B8F99A456B14206EE8F4569261F943897C7E04B6E9306D9C4D9C0E6ACF533CBD5F9951C4B38B2F57F23CAEF2DB77C1AB0C90517D6201ABA898FCAD7F821139EC9A4F0924F9736158

and my next takeoff...

4736CDD58C7E5B56DD4D48A845037AB18F5318D5

Hey man, did you hear a funny noise?

7A0C302DFD493123CAB1D40A43235872B7F95D8B

Nah, everything's cool.

EF1CBAF6F8ADA10E5DB975C7534575E67391312C

Finally made it to space, all in one piece. Still ain't gonna make it off of Eve and into orbit at 4000 d/V. Me thinks a change in strategy and a complete redesign is in order.

24E866387678A8A4B4085BD7EA1FD7350BC51516

Edited by Bigbootie

Started redesigning my lifter family. 

My current way to categorise them is by tonnes to 200km orbit suffixed by number of stages.

Now I'm trying out going by tonnes at 4500 Dv (vac) as a single stage.  This will give me SSTO capability for the given weight, with a decent a margin for odd payloads and launch profiles, and various first stages to use for heavier payloads.  Smaller ones may also be suitable for use as second and third stages too.

Today I built the Whirly-gig.

7A13D4637D9AA7BA1B835CD32D3F36B751F71592

Why?  Because I could.  (I'm in science sandbox and I've maxed the tech tree)

AAEEC51D9098EA97F428C26FE84B7D7EB771A4F5

6 Wheasleys, air intakes, small landing gear, plus a central stack with some parachutes.  Jeb is nothing if not optimistic about survival.

849B9CA994A697CCA30C06C7D7EFA2FAAC820D78

It actually made it up to about 10 kilometers, and Jeb made it back alive.

On 7/12/2016 at 8:11 AM, hazard-ish said:

For the past several weeks I've been working on a fully stock, fully functional Airwolf helicopter replica - complete with 'missiles' made of cubic octagonal struts and seperatrons! The design also incorporates a completely stock hinge that allows both the main and tail rotors of the craft to rotate! I went all out with the editing on this video to really capture the 80s feel of the original show so any feedback is greatly appreciated! 

I spent so long just building the crafts used in this video and another large chunk of time finding good recording locations to really create an awesome montage that resembles the TV intro!

Enjoy! :D

I want. Please.

EDIT: Nice job getting on Video Wednesday :D

Edited by Brownhair2

Decided to make something for the Elcano Challenge, this is the produce of +/- 10 hours of tinkering...

Presenting, Locust One

NOTE: FRONT PROPELLER EASILY DESTROYED BY WATER, REPLACED BY AN INTAKE

fd65c1.jpg

29c53t3.jpg

Here is some photos of the aircraft's performance

2ueo21e.jpg

Locust One, preparing for engine test

33399cn.jpg

Applying 100% Thrust

25f65wh.jpg

Lift?

i769p4.jpg[

This thing could fly!

And now, for the performance on water

154dbgm.jpg

Locust One, getting ready to enter water, took a while to get it here from the other end of the runway

23md78.jpg

Look at that!

2elatu1.jpg

Current top speed...

I still trying to safely land this thing either on water on or land and also when the craft almost took off, it skids to left a bit so I had to counter it, any idea on what might caused this?

Edited by spongey45

I tried making a Duna lander probe capable of return, but the base of my fairing kept popping off of the main rocket on the launch pad, regardless of how many struts I used, so I scraped the idea and just did a bit of airplane landing practice.

O3Bx3WI.png

What did these crowds gather to see? 

Today begins Day 1 of the Elcano challenge! See the highlights below at the Mission Report thread. 

2 hours ago, spongey45 said:

Decided to make something for the Elcano Challenge

@spongey45 Looking good! Go go go! Do it! I just began the actual expedition phase today after several weeks and many, many hours of planning, development, prep and testing. Flying? Wow! Maybe you could do the Elcano AND the aerial circumnavigation challenge with that one craft - lol!

1 hour ago, Maverick_aus said:

@spongey45 Looking good! Go go go! Do it! I just began the actual expedition phase today after several weeks and many, many hours of planning, development, prep and testing. Flying? Wow! Maybe you could do the Elcano AND the aerial circumnavigation challenge with that one craft - lol!

Yeah, but I was quite worried about the land navigation capability on it because it took a lot of time to just slightly turn it, and I'm also considering to make a mission report page as well. But my craft can't do the aerial circumnavigation challenge because it uses parts from mods that doesn't allowed by the challenge rule.

May your journey brought you fame and fortune.

P.S. Sorry for bad english

Edited by spongey45

Ongoing Jool system exploration
VfTyNhYh.png
Bop landing at kraken, 
Base will return to Pol who is easier to operate from, the upcomming Pol base will be at kraken.

iJlzVh5h.png
SSTO landed at Vall for refueling it and the tug, it will continue on to Laythe and Tylo. 

My scanprobe was able to enter polar orbit on all Jool's moons for less than 2km/s, now its stuck at Laythe so I need to refuel it for later use. 

Got back into ksp in a big way and patched my civ pop mod from it's current state of shambles.   Currently in the process of colonizing Minmus.  There are two active bases on the moon now in this one area where water, ore, substrate, and metal ore combined together.

The hexbase design (featured on the second to last slide) is done so that the center of the base is open, allowing placement of survey stakes for building large ships while still having things within detectable range of the survey site.

Edited by michaelhester07
no preview :(