What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I landed a space plane for the 2nd time.

With my first space plane trip to orbit and back a couple of days ago, I overshot the KSC by a few miles so ended up landing at the alternate landing site on the airfield island. This time I overshot by half an ocean, then spent 15 minutes turning around and flying back to eventually make it down on the runway at the KSC.

I caught my first asteroid today too like Auriga Nexus. 

It was a class C asteroid and I had a contract to kick it out of kerbol soi. It was a pain but I did it in the end. 

Edited by ICG

I've been avoiding using the Nastybird as the old wheels predated the 1.1 wheel changes and I feared for the worst. So a few tests later and... perfect landing, even with more than 75% fuel remaining.

j85UgwO.png

Now to work out why the right wing gives more lift than the left one and a version 5.0 is possible! *sigh*

Not content with stealing all their personnel, I've decided to steal the lab modules I've been rescuing them from.

graboid-drone.jpg

Presenting the General Rescue And Burglary Operational Infrastructure Drone, or GRABOID.  It's got about 800m/s dv not counting RCS, and features excellent RCS balance full and empty, a probe core, command seat, and both common sizes of docking ports.  Should be able to rescue, move, and steal tons of stuff with it.

Edited by Corona688

Did my first trip to the Jool system, in a ship intended for a Duna trip, but I changed my mind, it had A LOT more fuel than necessary for a Duna trip, so it still had enough to fly to Jool and back. It's a vessel in the new interplanetary ship class, the Freja class, it differs from the old Odin class by being sleeker and more sophisticated. It also has an open "hangar" rather than the MK3 cargobay "hangar" in the Odin class. I like making up new ship classes. ^_^ 

Sent Jeb down to Pol to grab some science, I don't like Pol, messy little moon... Poor guy nearly got stranded, again, the solid core nuclear (KSPI) engine overheated because some idiot forgot that it needs quite a bit of cooling when he designed it. Luckily the lander got into stable orbit around Jool before shutting down, and the mothership had plenty fuel left so his buddies just had to come pick him up. Apart from the engine overheating the new lander design performed beautifully, I've never thought about using the Cupola as a lander cockpit. Made for a nice utilitarian look, and it has a quite strong reactionwheel so it's a quite agile lander. I'll return to Jool with an improved version of the new lander and do some proper exploring.

Picture time:

KSS Freja en route to Jool, with the new Hugin EX lander docked in the back:

20160715232604_1_zpstmj1dp0v.jpg

Arrived at Jool, the gang is eager to explore the neighborhood:

20160715235217_1_zpscusy7yaa.jpg

Jeb landed on Pol:

20160716000904_1_zpszdaaeqel.jpg

Got him back somehow, he was quite happy to be re-united with his mates:

20160716003804_1_zps2cnydeqr.jpg

Watch your head Jeb, those radiators are mighty hot:

20160716004014_1_zps3rpnsdc2.jpg

Not enough room in the lab for the data, and had to ditch the lander, so Jeb had to do some spacewalking:

20160716004055_1_zpsu1dnysls.jpg

Now that my holiday has just started, I decided to finally do the traditional Polar Flight! Every now and then, I make it my mission to fly a plane to the poles and leave a little something there, be it a rover or a base, or something fancier like a drag car. This time I sent a small base that accommodates 12 kerbals in the best plane of all the other ones that I made that have done this little trip before, and it worked like a charm!

Album of the polar flight here:

Continued my design phase for Eve mission. Not quite there yet.

5321A0F2B0011A4DD225BCE1C01FC63D9C43C238

68A47FC8E0221557D2CF0A7F64A4E08BCA658CECB8B7CAB22DD3AEBA989904C61FDDD4D53122C44BE899A57B9E8D6CAFAE911EA21BF088CA06B4A251E80C39978CB6F1B02BDA1F503152BC9FC4617813257C2BC398CE8AB1407FD2163D0653388D5C4BD0

As long as I treat her gently she flies pretty good. Very stable, no wobble, rotates a little but stays on course.

However, if I get sloppy with the controls I get to see a lot of this.

A5B2F1EA3038BB012D748696B46238853652A41E

Edited by Bigbootie

10 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

grabber-rescue.jpg

The GRABOID had its first success almost instantly, an easy intercept with a floating engineer then an easy intercept with Station B.

Its cute!

In the meantime I learned why docking is always "bugged" or otherwise behaving retarded. After hour of futile docking attempts, just before I smashed ALT+F4 in rage, I decided to align lights on docking helper plate and suddenly it worked. Then I remembered something I saw, and here it is, revealed by one of mods (Tweakable Everything?).... by default docking ports need to be aligned in roll, with tolerance of 90 degree...

This missing piece of information explained why I couldn't "learn" how to dock in all those years... It also explains why topics about docking problems usually ends with "oh it finally worked".

cawvG9A.png

From left to right:

• Serran escape craft for 3 Kerbs. Will land with pilot only. Entered Kerbin orbit with half of delta-V by consuming single Jumbo+Skipper as booster. I plan to parachute it to surface with (almost) full fuel load on top of rover at end of mission.
  • Mothership with tons of snack and sizable crew module (boosts habitat time over 1 year). Will stay in orbit with other pilot.
  • A rover with acrobatic capabilities. Loaded with science, habitat and noms. Should be capable to elcano Serran.
  • Remainings of rover delivery rocket. Its meant to take my all three pilots (I keep rescuing engineers :() back to surface to deliver rest of modules.

By standardizing launcher I get spare fuel (that striped Jumbo got here at 30%), so it seems escape craft won't require dedicated refueling mission. I still need to launch module with some comm-sats (RemoteTech complicates things)  and nuclear engine cluster. And maybe some plants. ~2years total habitat, but mere 200 days of snacks (for 4 Kerbs).

--------------

Docking lights from MRS part pack. 

GGMUEkx.png

(8 lights, 45 degree between them)

5 minutes ago, MagicFireCaster said:

Nothing i can't remember the last time i've played ksp, is there an estable version yet?

Considering size, part count and amount of mods I see on screenshots here, I dare to say it is as stable as it will get.

38 minutes ago, MagicFireCaster said:

Nothing i can't remember the last time i've played ksp, is there an estable version yet?

KSP runs very well for me, and I run several extensive mods.

may have landed one of my model Saturn V test launch stages on the VAB. His name is the Sarvin XVI (Sarvin16)

k9U4P3Th.png

I'm developing it for a challenge I got from EJ_SA to build an ssto that can deliver a full orange tank to a 100K orbit then land on top of the VAB.

My prior design was a traditional SSTO spaceplane that I wasn't quite feeling, then one of my friends mentioned as a joke "you should land a Saturn V on the VAB" and I took that as another challange.

Its powered by 4 Rhinos and 12 Vectors, giving it the number 16, and Its named after Gas Planets 2s name in the Kerbol Orgins mod: Sarvin.

It is a fully capable SSTO at the moment and can haul a full orange tank to a 100K orbit, and safely return, but its a bit of a challenge to put the thing down in itself, so I'm tweaking some things to make it more reliable

did have to enable indestructible facilities to get this to work, even may prior spaceplane design needed it to land without collapsing the VAB, my thinking is that any VTOL capable SSTO that can haul a full orange tank to orbit is inherently too heavy for the VAB.

This design also isn't 100% to scale with the real Saturn V, the diameter is much smaller, with the wingtips representing the true diameter of a real Saturn Vs launch stage, I'd guess its about 60% scale and its only a single stage.

Edited by Bloojay
Picture Goofed

I introduced the new generation of Organa-class transports. These are interplanetary transport vessels constructed from a series of highly configurable modules, are designed to be almost fully reusable (if KIS/KAS is installed to replace spent heat shields) and are capable (with the addition of various more specific cargoes) of exploring all planets between Arkas (from the mod by the same name) and Richell (from Xen's Planet Collection). The new series have vastly upgraded potential to the old ones, as well as being modded rather than stock.

Construction of the first new Organa-class transport, the IPT Red Star for the Athena missions, is in this post, and it will be first used on the Athena 1 mission which I plan to conduct tomorrow. I will be uploading all modules individually here as soon as all module designs are complete and finalised.

Edited by eloquentJane

Okay, I just beat the game. You can't even question it: I built a true SSTO using SRBs.

I did it.

Although, nothing popped up :P .

It's amazing, but highly impractical and a pain to fly (must complete G-turn BY 10km, and you must do your hardest to obtain horizontal velocity)!

They said it couldn't be done, and they said I was crazy - but they're slightly wrong.

I AM crazy, but it has been conquered!

Made my Eve transfer. Used up almost all of the fuel in my lander so I will have to send a mining craft of some sort. I also technically still have the ship in orbit even though I test landed it several times. The problem is that with the landing gear bug and not being on almost completely flat ground, the craft slides ever so slowly.

It didn't start out well.

226ED5D69878EE3D57166B713AC1952E8FB0483458151B74DBA404A58EFFA24C7D8C63458D5E57218176042091127B713C56CF217154888CA1CE436629AF88EA20EA141A4B2D7B216A8C809C5DC10053F1E302FAC76E89EB164919886A6CDAFB3AF4549392D055EC8466EC3EAF3239DDCD9CEB2127E35B55

This was not a bad landing just not high enough for the ship to reach orbit.

C540F42A1A3477D8EB697D03121569515681B262

This was a bad landing attempt. Too steep on entry.

FE690BFA93A638C0905C7A20FE9BED9D1F553C09615205490D8E1F74620FBF6D9E3835E24E6C38FF9A7E1351A1A78B7EA096E4FEA658CAB7525BE5A3

The Eve lander arrived, although as a formation......

screenshot149_zpszshp4jjn.png

Although the "remote communications unit" maintained perfect station with the lander once orbit was achieved I deleted it and shamelessly used Hyperedit to replace the lander section. Took a bit of a monetary hit but with my leet computer skills I wasn't going to even try mucking around with the persistent file.

Landing went flawlessly and am now in the unfamiliar situation of having landed on Eve but not Duna, so much for planned progression.

screenshot65_zpsss4vh2fp.png