What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@Maverick_aus, I have tried air drops once or twice for big stuff, but I never really get a good deployment most of the time. Although, small probes are a fun thing that I have recently started dropping around on the poles by air drop:

This particular drop was when I was playing on a DMP server.

Edited by Pine

Tested the Mk 4 eve lander.

screenshot633_zpshblf67gh.png

It has been declared safe for kebals. There are minimal explosions(gotta move some batteries) on the way up but otherwise it gets into orbit.  

screenshot634_zps4xanu0la.png

Ok now it is time for Val to suit up. We are going to Eve soon

Rawr! Testing phase of my reusable launcher is underway; I hope to improve it significantly through experience (for this upper stage I have a few ideas for powering the Near Future modpack's plasma thrusters over a short duration instead of using LFO rockets). Note the docking ports for reattachment. The current engines are... wait for it... Thuds. I clipped them inside so only the nozzles poke out, and the visual result is rather pleasing. I thought the initial radial propulsion layout was ugly so I came up with this and made better use of the wide base I was left with after separation. The nozzles don't clip into the lower stage at all when the whole rocket is together. Incidentally this design reminds me of something in the real world, probably a Soviet ICBM, but I can't place it.

2eec4c63fc.jpg

8d2cb0ee98.jpg

I should actually thank SpaceMan22 for his inspirational video (and the relatively strong docking port arrangement of one Sr. surrounded by Jrs.). Would recommend watching!

Edited by Guest

I decided to go the other direction entirely.  Instead of making a new fastest vehicle or something wildly complicated.  I made a super simplistic and REALLY SLOW aircraft.

It's powered by one mini jet engine and one air intake.  So far I've yet to have a crash where the pilot is killed either.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Of course, maybe this is why?

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

That's about the average cruising speed.  It lifts off the ground at 39m/s but can sustain flight at as low as 25.  This is due to the one engine being angled downward

With just the onboard fuel, it can reach the island with about 10-15 to spare.  With two liquid fuel spares it (barely sustains flight) can reach the island northeast of KSC.  I particularly love flying it around the space center since it barely glides around at such a slow pace. 

Edited by Znath

I played KSP in 6 months. So I just strarted off small. I made an SLS replica and sent Jebediah, Bill and bob off to the Mun. I'm surprised I didn't blow up or crash or burn up or make my orbit too low ( So I burned up ). Myy next challenge is to get to Duna. Wish Me Luck!

Searching for the jeep from Nassault's video 'Kerbal - A KSP Movie' or similar, I came across TiktaalikDreaming's mod called Kerbin Rover Off-road vehicles. (firespitter's Jerrycans.) Oh yeah. 

@eddiew Kerbin looks lovely. What mods do you use to acheive that? Especially the water...

Edited by Maverick_aus
added

27 minutes ago, Maverick_aus said:

@eddiew Kerbin looks lovely. What mods do you use to acheive that? Especially the water...

I believe the clouds are SVE, while the water is Scatterer. Either way they're a good pairing :)

@Bigbootie which version of ksp are you running? I had this same issue in 1.1.2 which led to me cancelling my ambitious Eve colony plans! It was like the surface was made of a trampoline covered in soap, everything would slide, and every quick load it would all bounce a metre in the air! I thought higher gravity worlds were meant to be more grippy...

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

I believe the clouds are SVE, while the water is Scatterer.

Thanks mate. I've used SVE before. I'll give scatterer a go right now. Alas, it will probably be a short try due to crappy hardware for gaming...

The first module ("Akhet") of the ISS-inspired KSS space station was placed in a 100 km equatorial orbit without incident, and I swapped out the resupply modules at the older Skylab/Salyut-inspired Station Alpha.  I was interested to see that the empty resupply module made it all the way to the surface intact when deorbited, only being destroyed upon impact, which suggests a parachute could be of use.  Still trying to take on contracts to replenish funds, but no very lucrative ones are appearing at the moment...

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

I used this to launch an ever so slightly Apollo style mission to the Mun and back (only 1 in the crew though).

Bz9WCms.png

But I did launch it on another rocket from the KSC first, parachuted it here, then drove to the pad before launching it.

Video of the liftoff from the Inland Space Center.

13 hours ago, Kertech said:

@Bigbootie which version of ksp are you running? I had this same issue in 1.1.2 which led to me cancelling my ambitious Eve colony plans! It was like the surface was made of a trampoline covered in soap, everything would slide, and every quick load it would all bounce a metre in the air! I thought higher gravity worlds were meant to be more grippy...

1.1.3 64 bit. All of what you say is happening to me. Not just on Eve but pretty much any incline anywhere. I was surprised when my lander rocket actually stuck and was hoping the plane would too. But no.

2 hours ago, Bigbootie said:

1.1.3 64 bit. All of what you say is happening to me. Not just on Eve but pretty much any incline anywhere. I was surprised when my lander rocket actually stuck and was hoping the plane would too. But no.

That's the same with me. On the slightest incline you go sliding off and not just with wheels/legs, even just structural parts used as landing gear will slide.

screenshot578_zpscanlxef7.png

Note the speed of an 150 ton craft on a less than 5 degree slope on Kerbin.

Using the breakthrough technology of the Camel I aircraft, I decided to see what would happen if I added two more engines. 

2E89D02FE40D79D87D3A871DE9CBF1765FDCC5D4

It can even carry payloads for.... mail delivery.  Perhaps even enough mail to expand my influence.