What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

The Ares Program is officially underway!  Shortly after sending Ares I (which is my Interplanetary Kerbal Explorer, or IKE, model, and Tyson Lander) to Duna, I started designing a new, bigger lander with a science lab for Ares II and future missions. I then checked to see when the next transfer window would be open and it turned out if I launched then I could get to Duna about 10 days after Ares I. So I sent up the newly designed Bulma Science Lander and attached it to the Nye Cruiser (basically an IKE with no return stage) that I had parked in orbit, refueled and off we went. The idea was for Ares I to be a sample return mission, and Ares II will stay on the red planet for likely a couple years farming some science and awaiting transport home. Both missions were successful, but hit some pretty major design flaws i.e. not having enough battery power/ not enough panels to transmit the 500 science back from my lander and some RCS problems. Now I am working on designing a rover to take to tweak that ship and retrieve all that sweet, sweet science. Weeks in the making, and a lot of mistakes, but this is easily the most extensive thing I've done in this game. Also, I plan to make some blueprints and craft files so I can have them on a flash drive or something for future computers. If there is any interest in any of my "fleet" please let me know, would be happy to share! Keep up the good work, everyone. You guys do some amazing stuff with this game.

*edit* looks like the album link is broken, For those interested in pictures: http://imgur.com/a/91j3l

Edited by AstroBovice

Landed on Eli from the New Horizons pack, as the first ever landing anywhere on my new science save, Pine's Wondrous Program. Really enjoying it so far, as this is the only mission that needs a follow-up rescue mission so far!

nQn6MMp.png

2 hours ago, Pine said:

Landed on Eli from the New Horizons pack, as the first ever landing anywhere on my new science save, Pine's Wondrous Program. Really enjoying it so far, as this is the only mission that needs a follow-up rescue mission so far!

nQn6MMp.png

And that's why I like to use quad symmetry mini boosters as landing/escape stage. Tricky part is keeping "nose" up in "air".

1. Transfer all fuel to two you are resting on.

2. Decouple "top" two boosters.

3. Ignite on your home moon made sleds.

4. Take off from exploding cloud of debris!

Year 2, Day 222...  The masts for the KSS solar arrays are in place, and the launchers for them are designed... but funding is starting to run low, so there will be a pause in the station's construction until the bank account is replenished!

On the interplanetary front, the Hathor 1 and 2 probes are about to encounter Eve, and the Sekhmet 1 and 2 probes were launched into a parking orbit ahead of their upcoming Moho transfer window.

Encountered the save corruption bug on PS4 the other day. Bummer.

Started new career, have made almost as much progress in 6 hours as I did in 20. 

Landed on Minum last night for the first time. Much easier than the Mun. Still tipped over when landing, because I couldn't control my ship enough. Landed sideways, used the last bit of fuel in the second to last stage to right myself, then popped off that stage and landed ok with the actual lander.

Had to make a few atmospheric braking passes, almost burnt up in the atmosphere, but landed safely with 400 science. Planning on going back with more fuel and gear and getting as much science as I can from Minum and Mun later.

...So: Tandan, Sigrid and Bilfal scrounged up their personal belongings and some valuable instruments, and then trotted over to Bill's waiting Rover.
VSA consistently use three-man teams and four-man Rovers. This is why.

screenshot4602jg.jpg

Bill cut the corners a bit on the home journey, for a shorter and quicker path. No worry there, the Rover_E performs flawlessly.

screenshot4604jg.jpg

So when the Lensman comes into view and they get ever closer, who can blame them for thinking that the adventure is basically over and that they're almost home?

screenshot4617jg.jpg

Jebediah and Bob are waiting and welcomes them.

screenshot4619jg.jpg

- And then disaster struck! The ladders were unscalable! Both of them!

screenshot4626jg.jpg

The leftmost ladder in the image, the one Tandan is trying to scale here, has a transition from the top of the extendable ladder to fixed steps, which simply is not possible to pass on the way up.
The right ladder has interference from the landing strut. The astronaut's helmet can't pass the beam box.
Both Tandan and Bilfal then desperately tried to use RCS-flying to board or reach and grab climbable parts of the ladders. To no avail.

Bob: "- Tandan and Bilfal, stop what you're doing right now, before you've depleted all your propellant. You just suck too much on RCS flying. And even if one of you made it by some miracle, there's still three of you left, stranded."

Jebediah: "- How is this even F** possible? We tweaked, adjusted and tested those ladders for hours when the Lensman was developed. And I know they worked just fine, up and down, leaning this way and that way. Because I did the testing myself!"

Mission Control (defeated): "Not to mention that the Lensman has done a couple of Mun missions and the ladder was never a problem."

Dr Horst (exasperated): "- It's those subtle fluctuations in the Universe again. The ladder components have moved or changed."

Sigrid (deflated spirits): "So does this mean we and Bob have to drive back to the Firebrand and await another rescue mission?"  

Dr Horst (grimly): " I'll tell you what it means. We have to meticulously re-test all our ladders before we fly another rocket."

Bob: "- Guys, hang around for awhile. Let's try use our brains. Let's think about this. There has to be a way to board this rocket. No more mindless RCS flights! Save your fuel. Let's find a method."

---    To be continued.

Edited by Vermil

I USUALLY don't spend tyoo long on one game, but I always come back to it.  So I'm back on KSP for a while after a lengthy Terraria stint, and this time here's the first thing I built I actually like this time.  I may use it in my story, I dunno...

e81e4ba59573a23299641562e44e1028.png

What did I do today in KSP, eh?

Oh my. A lot has happened.

My LKO station is escaping the solar system.

Ok, let me backtrack and explain how things got to that point. Beware, there will be lots of spoilers, because there are images.

Right!

Today I started the Screw Serran Program, in which I drop probes in Serran to collect fun amounts of science! The first launch, LP-2 "William", sent a small self-contained probe that landed with the aid of parachutes and carried two instruments: a thermometer and a barometer.

Spoiler

Launch:

rxX3hVV.png

Landed:

1qXzhOB.png

Feeling pretty happy with how the space program was going, I decided to get all the science as possible from the KSC to boost the technology a bit so that a manned landing and return could be feasible later on. So I took an Exploration Rover Mk2, covered in goo canisters, 9 in all if I remember correctly, and all the scientists that my space program had, which was 4. Then I drove around and got 200-somethings science out of it.

Spoiler

All ready to go!

sIcSQ09.png

It's really awesome! Also, top heavy as *insert adjective which would get me banned here*.

a5k3ZWv.png

After that, I decided the best course of action was to drop a probe into Sonnah, the big blue gas giant that Kerbin orbits around. Thus, the SAP-1 was born! The acronym stands for Suicidal Atmospheric Probe, for obvious reasons and carried goo containers, a thermometer, a barometer and a science bay. The science bay science was too much for the antenna to transmit in one go without the probe running out of power, so sadly it was lost in the depths.

Spoiler

Cool and efficient transfer stage:

BGXRtQM.png

Falling:

VvlVKZr.png

Of course, with the success that SAP-1 was, the scientists at the KSC were getting really excited. So they took another SAP-1 probe and tossed it into solar orbit for Sun science, since it was designed for high-speed reentries. It was a success, but kinda boring, except for the 5km/s reentry back at Kerbin.

Spoiler

Coming in hot:

UMhMbS3.png

The space program was going so well that the boffins decided I should make a space station around Kerbin to process all the science and get higher returns, so we launched a station core and a habitation extension. As soon as it was in orbit, it was named Cloudy Station.

Spoiler

Sation core in orbit:

cOasFFS.png

Finished station:

LJikd4i.png

Once that was done, I was free to explore once again! Decided to go to the Mun with two volunteers, and it worked out pretty well. Once they made it back to Kerbin orbit they abandoned ship and transferred all science to the station and took a rest in the hab module.

Spoiler

Landed!

aYqBXcP.png

Going home:

lOkjg0N.png

What the volunteers didn't know, though, was that the station was in trouble.

Spoiler

No idea what happened here. Saved the station by using the RCS and pushing it back into a sloppy orbit.

9T23Tns.png

After the Mun mission was done, I flew a simple mission to the station to check in on the volunteers and to pick up my boosted science. Didn't know exactly how science labs worked, so I was surprised to fin my science was stuck in the lab for eternity, in exchange for 0.5 science per day. I used the orbiter's engine to boost the station back up into a safe orbit, and came home with the volunteers.

Spoiler

Busy station:

oHlgJeN.png

After that, we had to land somewhere again. So, capitalizing on the success of the Screw Serran Program, I made the LP-3 "Ant", which omitted the parachute for a laser soil sampler experiment. This mission was also a success!

Spoiler

Into orbit it goes:

ZGhcw0n.png

Once day broke out, it started the experiments:

p70mm9b.png

Then the Cloudy Station Incident happened.

EOu8PRo.png

Oh goodie, my space station exited the planetary system and is escaping the solar system! Not like I needed that...

So I renamed it Cloudy Station Incident Vessel. It will continue to provide science as long as the panels provide power, which means not very long as in LKO it could barely keep the lab running due to Sonnah being so far from the sun.

The fanciest station this far from the sun. Sure, it's the only one, but you can't beat it! I guess it became a pirate radio station now.

rJWQPUC.png

@Pine Loving it, mate. Classic Kerbal action. Appreciate the effort you put into chronicling and posting it. 

Didn't actually play the game. But finally updated my Elcano Mission report with the latest action from days 4, 5 and 6...

made my first ever landing, only to the mun, but am chuffed regardless. think my landing gear was a bit springy or i was useless as i kept landing and would just bounce back up on a tilt! after landing, chilling, flag plating i had one more trial ahead in that i was about 20 seconds of retrograde short of re-entering Kerbal below 70 k so thus had to mount my first rescue mission as Jeb WILL NOT BE LEFT BEHIND. it actually succeeded! more progress in 2 hours than in 2 weeks :D  to top it all off i didn't explode on re entry. 

Launched Horus 21 to the Mun on an anomaly contract, made a design tweak to the transport variant of Horus (called, creatively, "Horus-T"), and got started on the construction of the solar panel trusses for the ISS-inspired KSS space station.  Also sifted through old probes and decommissioned those without much or any delta-V remaining.

8 hours ago, Samszee said:

made my first ever landing, only to the mun, but am chuffed regardless. think my landing gear was a bit springy or i was useless as i kept landing and would just bounce back up on a tilt! after landing, chilling, flag plating i had one more trial ahead in that i was about 20 seconds of retrograde short of re-entering Kerbal below 70 k so thus had to mount my first rescue mission as Jeb WILL NOT BE LEFT BEHIND. it actually succeeded! more progress in 2 hours than in 2 weeks :D  to top it all off i didn't explode on re entry. 

Congrats! Landing on moons was one of those early frustration items that took me a lot of practice to master. Like so many things in KSP - once you get it it'll be second nature