What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 23/7/2016 at 1:26 PM, N_Danger said:

Jeb gets the go head to land on Gilly.

screenshot682_zpsdqoxwaq5.png

And does some goofing off while he is there." Look mission control I can jump over my lander!"

screenshot687_zpstuqrklyb.png

And then after an uneventful  trip back to the Kerbin Space station, the crew lands in the taxi capsule. 

screenshot702_zpsos66kkfj.png

And finally a line up of the original Kerbalnauts for Jeb's retirement party. This was the last flag, oddly enough, I needed for my goal of planting a flag on every planet or moon (that you can land on) and get the kerbal who put it there back home to KSC alive. (PS Jeb's new Party Bus is the bomb)

screenshot710_zpszvvojs6y.png

I have to do that some day! 

I have done several things. Today I landed a 40 ton mobile base on the Mun:

screenshot88.png?dl=0

It is so big, in fact, that I has it's own rover in the rear.  I found an interesting exploit with these particular wheels. Quickly mashing 'A' and 'D' causes it to gain tremendous amounts of speed, and it cruises comfortably around 30-40 m/s. I love that thing.

Last week I had done a multi-pronged Duna mission:

screenshot74.png?dl=0

I had launched a survey satellite, and then DR1 here, who is both responsible for transmitting massive amounts of data, and finding an ideal place for a manned base. He comes with all the reusable science modules, and a secondary fuel cell power supply for overnight operations. Will be chief scientist of the new base since he has the lay of the land.

I also decided that it was not enough to simply tread the ground. I needed to fly. Really needed to fly. I had accepted a extremely difficult contract that required me to take a temperature survey in high-altitude flight above Duna. Should have read the fine print XD. So I made a slightly over-engineered duna plane:

screenshot76.png?dl=0

I couldn't get it to work on Kerbin, but I eventually realized that I had to test it on Duna. To my surprise, it flies exceptionally. In the lower atmosphere, it maneuvers almost like a regular plane would on Kerbin, and can sustain flight for long periods of time in the upper atmosphere. I was able to complete the contract easily.

Then I turned my attention to Ike:

screenshot69.png?dl=0

I landed an ion powered probe on Ike and gathered a large amount of science. The two solar panels were not quite enough to support the four engines that far out, but it had a decent backup of power, and it turns out that I don't even need full thrust to take off. I managed to take it all the way back to Kerbin, where I recovered it with my claw vehicle.

Next stop, a one-way trip to Gilly and Eve. Plan to land a few probes on the surface.

Did some more Naval testing today.  Assembled a fleet consisting of a Cruiser, 2 Destroyers, and a Frigate to be my main group.  Been trying to keep part counts low for FPS sake, and I think the total combined parts for this fleet is about 180 or so.

usMza1s.jpg

Set up a few random targets to test the weapons on.  At first I used ships individually, but it all culminated in a coordinated attack on one hostile Cruiser which sat in place to allow me to maneuver my ships more easily and learn how to manage them all in a combat situation.

VeNrOw3.jpg

After sinking the target practice cruiser, the fleet anchored for the night and set off again the next morning, headed southward to the next training objective.

DWJiDdg.jpg

This allowed me some time to get used to matching speeds of the 4 vessels and keep them in a loose formation (or, at worst, near each other and holding the same bearing).  However, I let the Frigate get a bit to close to the Cruiser, and after getting stuck to the side for a minute, was pulled under and capsized.  The rest of the fleet came to a halt and the remaining exercise was called off to recover the vessels.

4R9HyiV.jpg

5KThsqA.jpg

Another fleet was put together consisting of the same ships as before, and has been sent southward from KSC to continue the training sorties.

7 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

So you had a debris accident?

Basicly yes :blush: I decoulpled the launchstage after the retroburn and descended normal, then after I opened the parachutes I watched some video on my second screen while waiting for the lander to land when I heard an explosion and loocked back only to see the big tank that I decupled at the edge of the atmosphere and that I never saw during the decent slaming into my lander and destroy the hichhiker crew container with the poor tourists. :wink:

Yesterday/Today was pretty eventful.  I built an entire Duna station, built Jeb a house on Runway island.  Oh, and I created a flying aircraft carrier. 

TftQSdQ.png

JyUTTjV.png

Don't even ask how this works, because your answer is as good as mine. 

Though, in all honesty, I suspect this is because the deck is built entirely out of aircraft wings...  As an aircraft carrier it performed terribly, but as a plane just fine. 

38 minutes ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

Today, I went to Dres. But, I only had one Mk55 "Thud" to do it:

Daaaaaaaang son! This needs a metric craptonne of recognition! Besides your grasp of gravity assists that rivals that dude who planned the Voyagers (whose name, of course, escapes me,) and Hollywood-like eye for cinematography, the PATIENCE ALONE to sift thru 13 gigs of footage! Just, dang!  :D:D:D

Got 3 feverishly working science stations in orbit and another enroute to Minmus to hopefully land and become a base.  If that works I might do the same to the mun but that'll need much beefier engines.

Grappling command pods in orbit with the Klaw is awesome, the cockpit comes back online!

Completed a long awaited combo triple rescue / mun landing mission which put career mode finances back at a stable 3 mil.

With that, and some freshly unlocked mainsail engines, going to see how quickly I can bruteforce a super-small satellite into flying by duna.  It's not in a good position for intercept right now, it's way ahead orbitally, I'll try and drop towards the sun to get ahead then power back on out.  I think I can put something in orbit with 7000m/s dv, which might be enough.  I wish I could unlock ion engines but that's just too much.  Failing Duna, Eve might be more achievable right now.

Edited by Corona688

4 hours ago, CanOmer said:

Landed first on Ike, then Duna. Rover is ready for exploration.

KJ442lC.jpg

It has a nice "face".

4 hours ago, CanOmer said:

What should be the top speed of this rover to make sure there won't be damage?

Quicksave, drive till destruction, F9.  Now you know.

Sometimes I really want to play this game, but struggle to find something to do, so today I decided to perfect some of my regular ships! Went through and fixed all issues I could find and made some minor improvements. Any and all feedback is appreciated! All of these ships have batteries, monopropellant, and a mechjeb module in the service bay. I hoped to post some blueprints but cant seem to find a blueprint mod that is up to date.

The first is the Interplanetary Kerbal Explorer or IKE. This is my main transport that I have taken to the moons of Kerbin and to Duna so far. 4 Nukes for transfer burns and a Poodle if you want a little more delta v, but i usually shut it off as soon as I get into orbit. Has a small return stage for return from long distance, but it's perfect to mess around in the Kerbin System if you don't feel comfortable with interplanetary travel yet. (pictured with Tyson Lander) 

8irVnli.png

Download linkhttps://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7so8wmCYYQTYnJveFFpMUVqNk0

The second is the Tyson Lander System. Pretty self explanatory, it's just my version of a one person science lander! Has multiple chutes which makes it super easy to land on Duna, just a minimal burn right before touchdown needed. I feel confident that this is a great lander for your first time going to Duna, as it is small, has plenty of delta v and has most science experiments on board. (Complete with rocket, no assembly required!)

Jpd6sLG.png

09XrNni.png

Download linkhttps://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7so8wmCYYQTUDkxUnoxVmZxOWM

The third is my Crew Delivery Craft which is just a simple transport ship to take up to 3 Kerbals into LKO. This is my main transport to Cascadia Space Station. 

nyhaHB0.png

Download linkhttps://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7so8wmCYYQTWC1HTzBvVUFXS1U

More pictures:  http://imgur.com/a/cFrbz

Thanks for reading! If there is any interest in more, please let me know! I have more ships to share (for moon missions, space station parts, etc) , but I will not make these regular posts in this thread. This is just what I happened to do today :) I also understand my ships are not the most impressive compared to what some of you create but I hope to help out people who are maybe stuck in design or are newer to the game. That being said, I do use a pretty good range of the tech tree here. 

Edited by AstroBovice

I decided to redirect my 5 science landers, originally destined for Moho, to Dres! Moho is just too a) small, b) inclined, c) close to the sun, and d) generally annoying in every way. The two Nuclear Candle engines generate a lot of heat, but the radiators take care of it.

WYc4EnB.png

There's also some lag from the many-parted landers, but not too bad.

EDIT: Nope. Imgur has died for me. If anyone can embed these images now, please help me.

EDITEDIT: It worked! 

Edited by spacebrick3

2 minutes ago, spacebrick3 said:

I decided to redirect my 5 science landers, originally destined for Moho, to Dres! Moho is just too a) small, b) inclined, c) close to the sun, and d) generally annoying in every way. The two Nuclear Candle engines generate a lot of heat, but the radiators take care of it.

http://imgur.com/a/6TN4Q

There's also some lag from the many-parted landers, but not too bad.

EDIT: Nope. Imgur has died for me. If anyone can embed these images now, please help me.

Go into the album and click the dropdown arrow on the image, get sharelinks, and use the BBCode one. I believe it is the bottom left option. Worked for me ( i think, I can see them in post) 

6 minutes ago, AstroBovice said:

Go into the album and click the dropdown arrow on the image, get sharelinks, and use the BBCode one. I believe it is the bottom left option. Worked for me ( i think, I can see them in post) 

It worked! Thanks!

RP-0 career going well. Orbited the moon a few times. Nailed Geosynchronous Sats launched from the Cape. Attempted a Venus flyby, failed miserably, found a new system for plotting transfer windows so next time works out better. Returned a film canister from LEO three times. Designed my first basic crewed orbiter. Tested that with an avionics core and no crew, had staging mishap, missed orbit but got to orbital velocity, capsule did return to earth safely, even though I forgot so action group arm the drogue chutes and my capsule had trouble holding surface retrograde through the atmosphere...wanted to enter and slightly askew angle for some reason.

Fixed staging issue and getting ready to do another test before I send the first man to space. Wondering if I should worry about rebalancing the return pod so I come in straighter.

31 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@EliasDanger IIRC, your capsule wanting to enter askew is by design in RO. It's got an offset center of mass so you can "fly" in the upper atmosphere like Apollo & Soyuz and thereby reduce heating and G Force on your crew. 

Ooooooh. OK.

Second test went flawlessly, so I threw I pilot in the capsule. Everything was going great until I staged from mid to upper and the game crashed, which rarely happens. Now I don't have time to try again, wedding to get ready for. Bummed.

Edited by EliasDanger

I've been doing prep work for my flight to Titanus. I moved the Titan into an orbit around Sonnah, and adjusted its inclination. It's a tad bit eccentric, but I decided to save circularization until the window. Who knows, maybe I'm already halfway to an escape trajectory to Titanus. I also decided to bring back the Sierra, since leaving it sitting there doing nothing for a year or two seemed a bit mean. Also I was having a lot of issues with the mission, besides the rig (it was a pain to take off and a pain to land). I wasn't going to take any pictures, but then I noticed this:

Shadow.png

See that black speck to the left of the Sierra? That's its shadow.

Spoopy.

31 minutes ago, Brownhair2 said:

I've been doing prep work for my flight to Titanus. I moved the Titan into an orbit around Sonnah, and adjusted its inclination. It's a tad bit eccentric, but I decided to save circularization until the window. Who knows, maybe I'm already halfway to an escape trajectory to Titanus. I also decided to bring back the Sierra, since leaving it sitting there doing nothing for a year or two seemed a bit mean. Also I was having a lot of issues with the mission, besides the rig (it was a pain to take off and a pain to land). I wasn't going to take any pictures, but then I noticed this:

Shadow.png

See that black speck to the left of the Sierra? That's its shadow.

Spoopy.

What mod are you using?

Winged it!

f52d41d36fb8.png

Gene: Jeb? What are you doing with this W-6 prototype?
Jeb: I've done nothing, it did it on it's own.
Gene: And what exactly did it do?
Jeb: It got to 100 km orbit and glided back to the runway.
Gene: Right. And why I'm supposed to believe you weren't flying it?
Jeb: BekOS somebody was messing with the autopilot and locked all the controls!