What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Remember my crazy 1-launch mun base?  It became a crazy 2-launch moon base, as I had to dock 1440 fuel with it to get it to the mun.  I also added a rover while I was at it.

And then I landed it, my first ever off-system base!

base-land.jpg

...and then I landed it THREE MORE TIMES because the kraken ate my rover wheels sometime enroute.  Gone without a trace.  I had to fly the entire base to each waypoint instead D:  It did so, barely.

Worth it.  The waypoints crossed biomes.  With a science lab to process it, that's going to be worth a lot, A LOT.

The Minmus base of similar design is...  still enroute.  A moon base arrives in hours, a minmus one takes days.

Edited by Corona688

Worked a little on an F-111 project. Other than that, wrote the Mission Report update above, for the Elcano Challenge. 

Highlights of Day 6 include: 

-aerial cargo drop
-DAL 9000 robot ship

5 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Orange tank to orbit ... FINALLY ... this will be my workhors for building stations. I may scale it up too.

@Space Cowboy Well done. It's a landmark achievement in this game. So satisfying, hey? Here's mine from pre 1.1.x

qEyCP4w.jpg

On 8/2/2016 at 3:14 AM, Red Shirt said:

1.2 must be about to drop because I have my 1.1.3 install almost the way I want it. Happens every time (another lie).

Man, so true.

Edited by Maverick_aus

Another busy day!

Both main solar truss segments were launched to the ISS-inspired KSS space station, and installed successfully.  The station is now ready for its first crew.

Sekhmet 2 departed for Moho, and Apepi 1 launched and departed for Eeloo; Apepi 2 launched to a parking orbit waiting for its transfer window.   (I like to send two probes, one on a get-there-sooner trajectory, and the second on a most-economical route... spreads the risks a bit.)

Horus 22 continued its coast back to Kerbin from Minmus.

planespace.jpg

This is the planespace, an attempted answer to all those "take 13 temperature measurements on the other side of the planet" kind of missions.  A plane which you can send on a suborbital hop, which arrives flying and fully fueled.

I stacked rockets on the simplest, most stable airplane I had, and found a way to make it re-enter without quite exploding via retrorockets and top-first re-entry.

In response to jank rover wheels in 1.1.3, and my insatiable lust for overland exploration on the Mun, I have been working on a number of alternate methods of transportation over the Mun.

Previously, I relied on a large jetpack, called the PB&J (for Personal Backpack and Jetpack.) However, it's mere 20km range is totally insufficient for heavy exploration. Because it relies on RCS fuel, I would constantly have to be refueling it, and that would suck.

So, I got to thinking: if rover wheels are broek'd, I should just make my own. Of course, I'm no modder, so I can't do quite that, but I can make one wierd, SAS controlled, giant wheel. Thus, I present to you the Mun Weh 2:

zPwoggj.png

NDxGfjW.png

DgaSg2V.png

740oIQp.png

This thing easily reaches at least 60m/s, maybe more. Also, I jumped out of a crater a couple hundred meters, hit the ground at 70 m/s, and it just bounced . Even after wheels are fixed, this is my new go to exploration vehicle.

EDIT:

Aaaaaaaand... I broke it. The "tire" itself has an impact tolerance of 80m/s, so that's fine, but half my generators, one of my batteries, and the left SAS is destroyed. Now it is only half as fast.

Operator error, but the next iteration should have some shielding. The only real problem with this is that it doesn't like to stop. "Brake? Why would you want to break it?"

Edited by MDZhB

I took what is probably my best screenshot ever in any game. This isn't the original (which has artifacts like stars showing through the atmosphere and sharp lines of pixels), but so good I made it better.

ab55958416.png

Edited by Guest

I have rebuilt my STS and Buran -like shuttles using new Shuttle Payload Technologies parts which are now going through lots of testing. I am having some problems with stability on ascent (STS) and re-entry (Buran) but I hope to iron those out.

Here is a "beauty-shot" from one of re-entry tests

qqwd18q.png

Sekhmet 1 and 2 are on their way to Moho, and Apepi 1 and 2 are on their way to Eeloo.   It will be some time until the next good interplanetary launch window, so attention will concentrate closer to home again for a while.

Horus T-2 delivered the second crew to Space Station Alpha.

And I fiddled with a few design concepts that didn't really go anywhere.   :D

I won't do anything in KSP today, as i have to sacrifize (parts of) a lamb on my altar for KJR (a standard bbq grill).

Then yesterday, after many things like this or worse, it allowed me to put a medium sized cosmetique section into orbit.

WLJIEdX.png

0bPbBka.png

Which allowed me to declare Phase 1 for "Earth Space Port" as an immensely ruinous success. Phase 2 should be even more successfull, as calculations suggest that launch costs will be doubled, up to 600k. But for now, a few volunteers have to acompany some tourists there to see if the life support systems actually work.

fAahtrF.png

I tricked them into it by explaining that the others have to test the effect of nuclear power on an unshielded space station (playing with Kerbalism for the first time).

2 hours ago, Cuky said:

I have rebuilt my STS and Buran -like shuttles using new Shuttle Payload Technologies parts which are now going through lots of testing. I am having some problems with stability on ascent (STS) and re-entry (Buran) but I hope to iron those out.

Here is a "beauty-shot" from one of re-entry tests

qqwd18q.png

Hang on, how are you getting those smoke/fire trails on reentry?

12 hours ago, String Witch said:

I took what is probably my best screenshot ever in any game. This isn't the original (which has artifacts like stars showing through the atmosphere and sharp lines of pixels), but so good I made it better.

ab55958416.png

Thanks for the new background

Wasted 5 hours of my live to make kerbal entering EVA not start spinning craft and have Jebediah catapulted from it. Failed, it still spins every time.

This game is starting to suck life from me to much, each next update has weeks to wait mods update and then entire new things are broken and get chance to kill carer game.  Contemplating more and more ksp is cool and all that but unplayable with RO/RSS and other realism related mods, black hole of real time wasted to make game with all mods work, and then it get somehow broken.  Time to shelf game for half a year or so, again.

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hang on, how are you getting those smoke/fire trails on reentry?

Pan-paka-pan~!

Pizzaoverhead makes a lot of mods that add to the game's ambience; check out his signature.

Landed an base on Ike then on Duna, it will orbit again and land with the long term crew while the rest return with the Krakenslayer orion.
z4lKu0Qh.png
AoJbflTh.png
Dunabase1 has an max dV of 1100 m/s too low to reach orbit and will be mothballed because of the crew shortage. Price of kerbals has passed 2.6 million, Eve polar sea level extraction is an ripoff Low solar retrograde is too. 
NWo6lnwh.png
Krakenslayer around Ike, other image was wrong ship and payload
OE3Ld2Nh.png

Edited by magnemoe

An bonus and why I love KAS / KIS, rescued kerbal from Minmus orbit, he was returned to base to await the regular systemliner transport home. 
The craft was an airlock from planetary bases, another kerbal took the Minmus utility lander up and added heat shield, probe, power fuel engine and mechjeb on it for kerbin return. 
5zP4kGnh.png