What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

My minmus rescue / miner module has mined enough from the rescue site it can relocate somewhere less polar and more mineral-rich.  In one day it's already recouped half the fuel it took to sub-hop there and can mine flat-out in the sun with no power drop.  Looking good.

Edited by Corona688

Today I went to rescue Jeb. I'd put him in polar orbit of Mun, and there were juicy contracts to look at various features, so I had burned most of his fuel. No biggie; I just sent a rescue craft, and used Jeb's remaining fuel to match orbits.

I was in map mode about to do a final burn when ... boom. Seems I had neglected to check and make sure my Pe was above the mountains.

RIP Jeb.

I landed on Minmus, did science experiments and eva, with some tourist. I made it back in 1 piece. I pick up some missions, 2 of them was rescue, and set off to rescue 2 different ships in low orbit of kerbin. After meeting up with first ship, I ran into the glitch that wouldn't let me make new maneuvers.  I decide i would press my luck and save and restart my game!! I want to add I ran in 2 other glitches during the minmus mission but was able to work around them. After the restart, low and behold my saves was replace with saves data before i even started today!! I play on xbox one . I love Kerbal Space Program but I work a full time job. When i lose that much time in a game, It makes me very disappointed at the time it take for Squad and FT to get this patch to Microsoft to approve it. \

Sincerely, 1 Sad Kerbal!!

Today in the real world I am making a bike-desk.  KSP is so addictive, it has impacted my activity level.  Soon I will be able to pedal through every KSP session.

In fact I would love a Mac app that reads my bluetooth heart rate monitor and locks the screen if the HR falls below a threshold... anyone heard of something like that? My search-fu is failing

Spent all day putting Manai from Kerbal Origins into an orbit around Eve and giving it a Scatterer config and clouds. I tried to change some settings but in the end just used Duna's atmo with some of the height thresholds lowered. Turns out you don't need an ocean config for the oceans to still receive the shader effects, and lava doesn't exactly form waves anyway, so I didn't trouble with it in the end. Spent some time finding a lava texture that didn't look too bad with all the tiling, and had the tone I wanted. I also wanted to give the world dark black-blue clouds representative of a volcanic smog, but they do form a distinct layer that doesn't seem entirely realistic considering how the low gravity probably means most of it is venting into space. Still, as KSP goes and for a hopeless kitbash, this does look pretty good... though only while at surface altitudes. I'd like the ambient light to be darker, but eh, it's a small world at Eve distance from Kerbol during midday, so I can't complain.

3f522ae471.png

Edited by Guest

Mun base project update.

I'm in the testing phase for my Extremely Heavy Lifter system intended to get it into place. Never worked with rockets that big, but preliminary experiments suggest the principles are the same as with smaller rockets: fire comes out one end, it goes the other direction. I have also made some final tweaks to the base design; for example, a sponsor insisted on a viewing cupola for the crew unit, so I put one in.

Before launching the big one, however, I need to do a scouting mission for a suitable landing spot. It has to be in a resource-rich area, and it has to be as close to perfectly flat as at all possible. For that mission, I've designed a new type of rover I've dubbed the Kertoise. It's designed for maximum survivability. All sensitive components are stored inside the chassis, and it features a very wide wheelbase, low center of gravity, and an anti-roll structure making it hard to flip, and in the unlikely event that it does, it has a set of internally-mounted reaction wheels allowing it to right itself even under Kerbin gravity. Destructive testing by engineer Bob Kerman demonstrated that the Kertoise was able to function even after suffering impacts strong enough to severely deform the chassis and entirely destroy a wheel: the operator enjoyed the experience and no sensitive components were damaged.

Consequently, the Kertoise is extremely simple to deliver. It is roof-mounted on a lander. To deploy, it detaches from the docking port and uses its reaction wheels to flip itself off the roof; if it happens to land on its back, it will flip itself up again.

Other work involves developing a new class of lifter designed for payloads between 8 and 15 tons.

A photo of the Kertoise in development. Note the important and expensive sensitive instruments inside the anti-roll structure and the internally-mounted solar panel array and batteries. It has room for three operators, all well protected by the structure. Top speed on Kerbin is approximately 100 km/h. 

zEePhwG.jpg

The vehicle features internal reaction wheels and full autonomy, since it includes an also internally-mounted control unit.

ffZSbaZ.jpg

Deployment is simple: the operator uncouples the mount, and the vehicle uses its internal reaction wheels to flip itself off the lander's roof, and, if necessary, back onto its wheels.

hYnRC0W.jpg

30 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Mun base project update.

I'm in the testing phase for my Extremely Heavy Lifter system intended to get it into place. Never worked with rockets that big, but preliminary experiments suggest the principles are the same as with smaller rockets: fire comes out one end, it goes the other direction. I have also made some final tweaks to the base design; for example, a sponsor insisted on a viewing cupola for the crew unit, so I put one in.

Before launching the big one, however, I need to do a scouting mission for a suitable landing spot. It has to be in a resource-rich area, and it has to be as close to perfectly flat as at all possible. For that mission, I've designed a new type of rover I've dubbed the Kertoise. It's designed for maximum survivability. All sensitive components are stored inside the chassis, and it features a very wide wheelbase, low center of gravity, and an anti-roll structure making it hard to flip, and in the unlikely event that it does, it has a set of internally-mounted reaction wheels allowing it to right itself even under Kerbin gravity. Destructive testing by engineer Bob Kerman demonstrated that the Kertoise was able to function even after suffering impacts strong enough to severely deform the chassis and entirely destroy a wheel: the operator enjoyed the experience and no sensitive components were damaged.

Consequently, the Kertoise is extremely simple to deliver. It is roof-mounted on a lander. To deploy, it detaches from the docking port and uses its reaction wheels to flip itself off the roof; if it happens to land on its back, it will flip itself up again.

Other work involves developing a new class of lifter designed for payloads between 8 and 15 tons.

A photo of the Kertoise in development. Note the important and expensive sensitive instruments inside the anti-roll structure and the internally-mounted solar panel array and batteries. It has room for three operators, all well protected by the structure. Top speed on Kerbin is approximately 100 km/h. 

zEePhwG.jpg

The vehicle features internal reaction wheels and full autonomy, since it includes an also internally-mounted control unit.

ffZSbaZ.jpg

Deployment is simple: the operator uncouples the mount, and the vehicle uses its internal reaction wheels to flip itself off the lander's roof, and, if necessary, back onto its wheels.

hYnRC0W.jpg

Would like to see more of this project! :)

I dabbled with the idea of making a visual enhancement pack for opm...  HNAl7UP.pngAduQnfb.png

I only did Tekto for now.  I haven't decided if I will do the rest.  The link to download is in the SVE thread

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, Andrew Ridgely said:

Would like to see more of this project! :)

I'll post updates here, never fear. There are previous ones earlier in this thread, chronicling the design process of the Mun base itself.

I've landed the Kertoise in the Mun's Northern Basin. Things are looking promising, but I'm going to do some quite careful scouting before settling on a spot. Only mishap so far is that the pilot carelessly neglected to retract the solar panels when deploying the Kertoise, which smashed one of them as it rolled off the lander.

Our intrepid pilot is getting pretty good at controlling the Kertoise. If he leaps off a ridge, he can even use the internal reaction wheels -- keyed to RCS -- to control the vehicle's attitude and make pretty wack landings. There have been a few rollovers but recovery has been quite easy. It's fun to drive, like a go-kart except in low gravity it makes impressive leaps.

Started out well with a mission to Vall! Much mapping data was had, the explore contract paid out 200,000 roots more than the launch cost, and the combination of RTGs and chemical engines proved much more practical than the ion+solar powered Joono probe.

U5LWzsT.jpg

And then it all went pear shaped. I had allowed 2km/s for the return trip, assuming a kick out from Tylo. Which I got, but...

TyAgDSd.jpg

After 118 years (literally 5 hours of game time involving multiple return attempts) I called it, turned off aero heating and came home like it was 0.90!

Just to rub salt into the wound, I failed to notice I was coming in the wrong side of Kerbin, so now it's parked at a 4500km retrograde orbit, with no fuel left. Which is kind of a fitting punishment for my crimes.

...maybe I should just wind back to Vall orbit and send it to go land on Bop instead, I'm feeling kind of bad about this one :(  Or... maybe I like not having aero heating and will keep it turned off, because frankly it's fun to arrive home on fire and raving at the darkness :) 

Edited by eddiew

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

I dabbled with the idea of making a visual enhancement pack for opm...  HNAl7UP.pngAduQnfb.png

I only did Tekto for now.  I haven't decided if I will do the rest.  The link to download is in the SVE thread

Unless you've got a very different idea for how you want it to look, you could integrate SVE with Poodmund's OPMVO. I've personally merged the files and configs of both without issue.

I launched a new Duna mission: Atomic rockets with hydrogen, cheers @Nertea...:D Glad to have your amazing mods running so smooth!

3B4jeLQ.png

And then i docked in darkness the command module with a split landerframe to it, have to get up the lander itself still...

JoOEH71.png

1 hour ago, String Witch said:

Unless you've got a very different idea for how you want it to look, you could integrate SVE with Poodmund's OPMVO. I've personally merged the files and configs of both without issue.

Yeah I see a lot of people that have done that.  If I made my own pack if would be way different than Poodmunds. The Tekto I did was based on his though because I was remaking it for someone. 

12 hours ago, fourfa said:

Today in the real world I am making a bike-desk.  KSP is so addictive, it has impacted my activity level.  Soon I will be able to pedal through every KSP session.

In fact I would love a Mac app that reads my bluetooth heart rate monitor and locks the screen if the HR falls below a threshold... anyone heard of something like that? My search-fu is failing

That is awesome dude. Post screen caps when you get it all setup; might have to trade out my lazy boy configuration for a bike desk. My old Trek Pilot can come inside from its bat hook in the garage :)

9 hours ago, Galileo said:

I dabbled with the idea of making a visual enhancement pack for opm...  

More. Now. Not optional. :blink:

Revised game continues, first manned mission to Minmus, made it back, few flaws in the lander - sadly too late to correct for the 3rd Mun lander, of which more shortly. Basically needs some landing lights adding, and the central section lowering so a verbal on foot can more easily gather the science and get back in.

Anyway landed on Minmus, navigational error led to the final 1k or so being in total darkness, by feel keeping velocity below 6m/s, noticed we had landed when the altitude counter stopped going down... on the side of a steep hill, the lander stayed upright though in its new wider form.

Jebs safely back home, the descent stage remains as a probe equipped base, all round successful mission, despite the inability to read a map.

Valentina's mission to Mun... less well, landed perfectly, flat sunlight ground in a crater I was aiming for, maxed the science, then for the return trip...

This lander is designed as two stages, the three engined outer decent stage remains behind while the central section flies home. Thats the idea, on the test flights the descent stage was used to lift as well (its got half full tanks), this mission didn't do that, the lander is about 30m/s short of being able to get home.. quick crash and reload and Val is safely in Mun orbit (the reload had her already in flight and the core lacks landing legs so landing again was a bit risky).

Sooooo... now have a Mun orbit rescue mission, not docking as the lander isn't equipped for it, but an EVA transfer which to date has a 100% failure rate, though I think I know why. Think a modified lander thats just the core but with more fuel will work so plenty of time to muck about in orbit (minus mission unlocked RCS thrusters).

Still.. progress eh?

Oh yes and to cap it all, Jeb got back from Minmus to a contract.. "flag on Minmus"... at least Val's next mission is lined up.