What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Mutiny's such a strong word... let's swap it for ones like 'wilful' and 'headstrong'.

3UXiaYz.jpg

Still, what mission control never finds out won't hurt them. Despite the unexpected and smoothly covered up change of plans, the Investigator's mission has been a stunning success, returning over 2500 science points and raising the sum total of all kerbal knowledge to over 28,000.

Meanwhile, the engineering team have been busy...

xv2LNOV.jpg

At 34 tons, the Thunderhawk is a little heavier than hoped, but her capabilities aren't in any doubt. KR&D'd Space Y thrusters and provide enough grunt for about 3-4 vertical touchdowns or take offs in a 1g environment. The general tactic seems to be to enter a controlled stall as close to where you want to be as possible, which will drop air speed to around 25-30m/s and allow the thrusters to control the descents from there.

The power of the turbocharged rapiers + LV-N is now well and truly back in the realms of 0.90, allowing the Thunderhawk to reach LKO without even sipping from its precious oxidiser, and that docking port on the nose... well, it's probably obvious what that's for :) 

When I arrived at the base, it jumped 10 meters up in the air, and it would repeat the jump, involving some things breaking badly every time after exiting warp, so I decided for a risky step...

4uUx5uD.png

BTW, look at these towers. They were NOT made this way. And they are still "in one piece" according to the game.

R0GrmkB.png

Seems like the game decided to introduce some random rounding errors...

18 hours ago, RX2000 said:

Put a satellite in polar orbit of Kerbin. Not too hard.

Launched 2 tourists straight up in the air in a suborbital trajectory. Forgot to put solar panels on their ship (& even if I would have, they launched at night) so their probe core ran out of power on the way back down & I couldnt deploy their chutes. Oops. :(

Had another contract to launch a satellite into an equatorial orbit of the Mun. No problem I thought. So I sent it over there & had the apoasis & the periapsis juuuuuust right, so I couldnt figure out why the contract wasnt completing?? Then I finally checked the ascending & descending nodes...... yep they were 180°! :( I was going the wrong way in orbit. :( I somehow managed to flip my orbit all the way over though by making a maneuver node & tweaking the hell out of it. Only ended up being like 750 m/s or so (thankfully I took a ton of fuel with me) & I also got a world first of being suborbital on the Mun in the process somehow. :D 

Hopefully tomorrow, for real this time, I can either send an unmanned probe to land on the Mun, or maybe a manned flyby of Minmus. I havent gotten any science in a while now & its starting to suck. :( I really need to unlock a bunch more stuff.

protip: if you are just doing a plane change maneuver, don't bother with maneuver nodes, just wait until you are at the ascending or descending node and burn towards the normal marker on your navball, following it until it is in the position you want. the reason maneuver nodes don't work too well is because it tries to do a plane change maneuver by just pointing in one place, but the most efficient way to change planes is to burn at 90 degrees to your current one.  

Coordinated  2 arrivals each at Eve and Moho plus a pair of ejections from Kerbin enroute to Duna via Eve within a 10 day span.  LOTS of craft switching and KAC alarms.

@eddiew  What parts pack are you using for those planes?

Edited by icedown

4 minutes ago, icedown said:

@eddiew  What parts pack are you using for those planes?

Just the old intakes from 0.90, given the stats of the modern ones :)  Oh, and some Space Y thrusters. Beyond that, just KR&D to improve thrust and reduce mass, and Tweakscale.

6 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

@DunaRocketeer I was wondering how long it would be before someone made a replica of the new SpaceX transport. Honestly, this was quicker than I anticipated.

Hehe I've been flying versions of this for months, but that SpaceX presentation (specifically the parts showing landings on Europa and Enceladus) has given me some inspiration for sending my rockets further afield. A propellant depot around Dres for instance.

4 hours ago, Mikki said:

@DunaRocketeer

The second pic is very interesting, what exactly can this vessel do?
I can see some nifty engineclustering...:P

This vessel is the upper stage of a reusable TSTO rocket. I use it for all sorts of things - the image I posted was of it returning from a mission to attach a 27 ton fuel tank to a depot station in a 160x160km orbit, which is pretty much the limit of its capabilities. More often it just contains crew pods, satellites, KIS containers etc.

Alternatively, I sacrifice about a third of the cargo bay's internal volume to extra fuel tanks. In this configuration I send it up to a depot to refuel, and from then on to Duna. The vehicle lands vertically so cargo is offloaded via a ramp and a rover. 

It is refuelled via my surface mining equipment (all of this has been delivered by these vessels in previous flights.) Once fully fuelled it has the DeltaV to get from the surface of Duna to the KSC without any further fuel stops.

The way the system is set up means I can get a decent sized payload into orbit, or cargo delivered to Duna with only minimum changes to the design.

44 minutes ago, peachoftree said:

protip: if you are just doing a plane change maneuver, don't bother with maneuver nodes, just wait until you are at the ascending or descending node and burn towards the normal marker on your navball, following it until it is in the position you want. the reason maneuver nodes don't work too well is because it tries to do a plane change maneuver by just pointing in one place, but the most efficient way to change planes is to burn at 90 degrees to your current one.  

Ahhh ok thanks. I'll try that next time. I'm probably doing lots of stuff the hard way right now, but I figure its the only way to learn. :wink:

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

Just the old intakes from 0.90, given the stats of the modern ones :)  Oh, and some Space Y thrusters. Beyond that, just KR&D to improve thrust and reduce mass, and Tweakscale.

He may be referring to the Mk4 spaceplane parts.

@icedownI'm not at my computer right now and I'm short on time but I had found the same parts pack (if that's the one you're looking for) just by searching for Mk4 spaceplane parts.

44 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

Is that a graphical glitch, an interesting paint job, or the aftermath of a really hellacious aerobraking?

An interesting paint job the thermal overlay. I turned it on so you couldn't see the parts and therefore how big it is. ;P

EDIT: So what Jade said xP

Edited by parameciumkid

1 hour ago, Corona688 said:

Followed the KSC Beacon down to a perfectly on-target and horrible landing because SOMETHING MOVED THE FLAG!

Er, sorry, did you leave that there? I thought it might be in the way, looked like a silly place for a thing, really. It looked much better over there ------>

Been away from the game for quite a while now (my laptop moaned and groaned every time I tried to play it), but 1.2 pre-release has made it recently sigh in relief (well done, devs!).

So I've been doing career mode without mods (of course), re-learning the game.  I've had numerous landings on the Mun flying by the seat of my pants with lighter landers, but tonight I unlocked some heavy parts and ... well, this happened.  Screenshot worthy.

HiM42Zn.jpg