What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Landed this in my Area 51 Proving Grounds test save, much to the cheers and jeers of my 8-year old son (there were some Kerbal-moments during descent that almost doomed me).

1st attempt was an utter disaster, with only one parachute surviving.  2nd attempt was this, so I'm pretty proud.  I've done 3 or 4 other attempts since the 2nd, trying to perfect the descent profile, but they've been rather ... demoralizing.

160+ tons edited into Dunar orbit, 101+ tons on landing.  Doesn't quite have enough power to maintain operations, but meh, it's a WiP!

Bill approved though, and I guess that's all that matters.

*Edit* Ugh, forgot how to post images here :(

Edited by wired2thenet

Finally getting to play KSP so I decide to test the next pre-release of the Galilean Planet Pack. The Enterprise launches again with all orange suits aboard to resume the unofficial grand tour. Mach 4 at 60deg is the way to go.

3TOdPe7.jpg

Why wait 87 days to meet an asteroid? Let the horses out with the Trans-AM feature and meet up with it in the square root of the time!

VRc4505.jpg

Ultra Jeeeeeeb!

4itORHF.jpg

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Ultra Jeeeeeeb!

4itORHF.jpg

I laughed out loud at this. Their faces! is it fear or is it hilarious?

3TOdPe7.jpg

you wont go in the volcano... i still havent tried it

Edited by Galileo

I made a plan for mission Gaia I to Laythe, and started executing it. 

Gaia I is a light spaceplane equipped with rugged landing gear, extra jet fuel, a drone control point, and a full science pack. It's powered by double Rapiers and carries a pilot and a scientist as crew.

Gaia I Booster is a big ol' fuel tank with a Poodle, RCS, Hex, and big antenna.

Both are now in orbit of Kerbin, the former under its own power, the latter lifted by Crane 2, my heavy lifter workhorse.

Mission plan:

1. Dock up.
  2. Fly to the Jool system.
  3. Gravity brake off the moons as much as I can
  4. Split up.
  5. Gaia I will aerobrake off Jool as much as it can survive, burn away the rest of the extra speed. 
  6. Gaia I Booster will brake conventionally.
  7. Re-encounter around Laythe. Dock up, refuel Gaia I to the extent necessary.
  8. Undock.
  9. Enter Laythe atmosphere with Gaia I.
  10. Explore! Do Science! Reset experiments a lot and collect them in the science can <<although at this point I've maxed out my tech tree so this is all pretend>>
  11. Once we're low on extra liquid fuel, leave Gaia. 
  12. RV with with Gaia I Booster.
  13. Return home, grav assisting via Jool's moons, grav braking off Duna and the Mun.

On 10/4/2016 at 10:13 PM, RX2000 said:

After that I got a contract to make 4 Kerbals pass out from G forces while on a suborbital trajectory. I tried a few things to get them to pull Gs in space, but so far I havent been able to pull more than a couple Gs while in space. :( I guess I'll try more SRBs at apoapsis. I dunno. :(

This is a thing???  I NEED this contract, since I stress my Kerbals constantly with insane G-forces!

Quiet night tonight...  after a week of working on the Jool 5, it was time to take a night mostly off and watch some anime.   Did manage some design and test work on my new mothership concept, which is so far working gangbusters.  Details in the Mission Reports thread linked in my sig for those interested.

Edited by DerekL1963

3 hours ago, wired2thenet said:

This is a thing???  I NEED this contract, since I stress my Kerbals constantly with insane G-forces!

It's in 1.2-pre.

I find these rather hard to complete by the way. If I do something high-G enough to get them to pass out, I usually also lose a wing or two, which puts a bit of a damper on the rest of the flight.

I'm not even using planes that are all THAT big for this. It needs a couple of seconds of sustained high Gs; a jolt like you get from parachutes opening won't do it. The only way I've discovered that can accomplish this reliably is pulling a high-G turn on a plane. I suppose a steep re-entry corridor with the right shape and weight of capsule could do that too but it would be rather delicate to find the right one between burning to a crisp and making a hole in the ground...

Having never built an SSTO space plane till two weeks ago I have built ten working sstos, 1 can land and return from Duna, one can haul 40tonnes to orbit, and one is pretty much useless but looks sexy! 

But more important than that my girlfriends present for my birthday is coming up (this weekend) a private tour of the U.K. Space centre in Leicester! Might be a little bit excited...

7 hours ago, wired2thenet said:

Tell me how to pull 20 Gs in space but not in orbit!

I sent 3 Kerbals to Minmus last night, in the big 3 person command pod. It had the same basic design as the smaller 1 person lander I had previously sent up, but took a LOT more dV to get up into orbit for some reason. I ended up having to use 1 twin boar & 4 mainsails to get it into orbit. Nuts. I seem to have the smaller rocket design down pat, but I think I need to work on my 2.5 size setups or something. Or maybe it just does take all that power to get a 60 ton lander into orbit. Maybe I shouldnt have made my lander so big haha.

But anyways, I got them there & back which was the point. Also brought another 650 science back home, so now I have the best probe core & the rovers unlocked. Probably sometime in the next few days I'll send a rover to the Mun on a manned mission, & leave the rover behind for practice, then start planning a mission to send a rover to Duna. I have never been interplanetary so far in KSP, so this should be a lot of fun!

Finished up at the planet that doesn't exist.

42Quotx.jpg

(Ed: Stopped timewarp every 10 days during the ~450 day trip home in order to refresh the lab and transmit data from it. Took an episode and a half of Dr Who to get through it all. What a horrible mechanic :()

The voyage home is slow but fruitful, transmitting a total of 30,000 science points and bringing the sum total of kerbal knowledge to 115,520. Which means... IT IS TIME!!

G57RYtT.jpg

...pants.

Upon review, mission control decides that Werner's challenge is... challenging, but viable. Moho, Eve, Gilly, Mun, Minmus, Rald, Duna, Ike, Dres, Laythe, Vall, Tylo, Bop, and Pol have already been sampled, with rocks of various colours sitting in Werner's clean-room storage area. This leaves the moons of Sarnus, Urlum, Neidon, and the Plock/Karen binary. They're all a long way from the sun and will take a lot of tech to get to, but it can be done. Boffins from across the campus are called in for a high level meeting to discuss how Werner will get his surface samples.

(Ed: ok, the TLDR is that even though 1.2 is close, I don't feel finished with this career. The main offering of the new patch, communications networks, just isn't interesting to me and my game's performance is doing fine. It'll also take a while for the mods I love to update, so imagining that I'll want a new start as of next Tuesday is probably overkill. I'm going to aim for early-mid November, allowing for one major expedition per week. Which means that I don't really want to obtain the technology of the gods just yet. Tuning the game such that I would unlock the 100k monster exactly as I finish with all the planets seems to be impossible, so I used an RP reason to disallow it. Science is certainly not redundant now; I need to maintain a buffer of 100k, but I can freely spend the excess with KR&D, improving my engines, lightening my command pods, and generally making craft incrementally more sci-fi in their performance. Which is bang on for a species approaching warp drive technology, tbh.)

47 minutes ago, RX2000 said:

Tell me how to pull 20 Gs in space but not in orbit!

Newton's second law: F=Ma. 20g is 196 m/s^2, so you plug that in: F = 196 * M. M is your payload mass, and F is the combined thrust output of the payload mass's engines. If you want to pull that much force with stock parts, I'd suggest a payload of a Seat attached to an Oscar-B, and slap a strutted Skipper engine on it and blast it at full power. Great thing about gees - you don't have to pull them for particularly long... 

Good luck getting your Kerbal back after that, of course...

Edited by capi3101

4 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Newton's second law: F=Ma. 20g is 196 m/s^2, so you plug that in: F = 196 * M. M is your payload mass, and F is the combined thrust output of the payload mass's engines. If you want to pull that much force with stock parts, I'd suggest a payload of a Seat attached to an Oscar-B, and slap a strutted Skipper engine on it and blast it at full power. Great thing about gees - you don't have to pull them for particularly long... 

Good luck getting your Kerbal back after that, of course...

Well its a tourist, so they kind of need to live & come back home safely! Hahaha :D

I think my issue is, since I have a contract with 4 of them to do, Ive been trying to do them all at one time. I guess thats not gonna be possible tho, because to get something big enough to hold 4 Kerbals on it, its gonna need too many damn engines on it with that much weight to actually pull the Gs. I dunno. I'll probably just end up canceling this damn mission & stick to the ones that want them to pass out in the atmosphere. :D

Edited by RX2000

19 minutes ago, RX2000 said:

Well its a tourist, so they kind of need to live & come back home safely! Hahaha :D

I think my issue is, since I have a contract with 4 of them to do, Ive been trying to do them all at one time. I guess thats not gonna be possible tho, because to get something big enough to hold 4 Kerbals on it, its gonna need too many damn engines on it with that much weight to actually pull the Gs. I dunno. I'll probably just end up canceling this damn mission & stick to the ones that want them to pass out in the atmosphere. :D

Ah. Tourist makes a bit of a difference...

The math still holds, though. You just gotta think bigger...a Mammoth could get you the gees with a Hitchhiker Module, and you'd even be able to use a slightly larger tank (by which I mean something up to an FL-T200 or so). If that scares you a bit, you could do two Mk1 Lander Cans and a Mainsail. Fuel requirement doesn't change since what you're going for is thrust.

Gotta admit - the combinations I'm suggesting here are very, very Kerbal...

1 hour ago, RX2000 said:

The solution here is to go backwards!

Boost to an AP just out of atmo at a good chunk of orbital speed, then turn around and do your blackout burn retrograde. 

With good aim and a real system down, you could even land the whole mess back at KSC ala SpaceX.