What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

17 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Yeah, I've got command of her pod...oh, I get what you're suggesting - have her bail out and use the suit thrusters to reduce her orbit. A very Kerbal suggestion; I might have to do it...

Yup. Especially if you don't need her pod at all. IIRC kerbals have about 1km/s in their tanks, that's plenty to get her down to an altitude where she'll be safe from being Munned again. Leaving her a unit would be more than enough to allow her to get into the rescue craft, I'd come down to maybe 0.3 units if I felt cocky :) 

*edit* Oh yeah, as for being on topic... I realised that I can use KIS+KAS to upgrade the Odyssey's engines to more advanced models - which banishes the worry that it's not a good enough vessel for Sarnus! As tempting as it is to build a spacedock to perform the refit, I think I'll just launch a container with a couple of engineers. When they're done, they can dock up to Starcrossed Station in LKO and keep the scientists company. Those girls are running out of work to do, they could use some new people to talk to.

...I did build the relevant vessel, but I got distracted by the new series of Voltron on netflix so it hasn't launched yet...

Edited by eddiew

4 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Yup. Especially if you don't need her pod at all. IIRC kerbals have about 1km/s in their tanks, that's plenty to get her down to an altitude where she'll be safe from being Munned again. Leaving her a unit would be more than enough to allow her to get into the rescue craft, I'd come down to maybe 0.3 units if I felt cocky :) 

FYI it's much less than that. A kerbal can land and return from Minmus on suit thrusters fairly easily, but can't quite make orbit from the Mün. But easily enough to do as you're suggesting, good idea. 

Also, LOL @ 'Münned :D

5 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

FYI it's much less than that. A kerbal can land and return from Minmus on suit thrusters fairly easily, but can't quite make orbit from the Mün. But easily enough to do as you're suggesting, good idea. 

Also, LOL @ 'Münned :D

I recall it being around 600 m/s.

Added a docking module to my Mun station and made my first Mun landing with my brand spanking new Mun Hopper. Was too exited to take any picks, but tomorrow we will dock the hopper and have our first science ever processed by the Science module. Good times.

P.S. 1.2 is awesome. I'm doing things first time without mods (MJ) and I'm loving it.

12 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Ahhhh. @Martian Emigrant. I see you are attempting my challenge! I hope you enjoy it and can't wait to see your entry. :) 

Today, I experimented with aircraft launched shuttles. My shuttle carrier on its own however can get to LKO with fuel to spare. Runs out of fuel quite fast with the 63 ton shuttle on top though. It also flips even when I move the remaining fuel to the top during re-entry and the shuttle itself has horrible lift capabilities. I may have to create a new shuttle with a bunch of wings on the bottom to help this and the vector engines on the carrier can compensate for the COL being way behind the COM so I'll move the wings back.

Fire

Yup.

I am learning a lot. Too much actually. It's no fun when it's hard.

On my first attempt with landing I wasted Delta-V trying to FIND Eeloo.

The second one I got there more efficiently but went much later in game time and Eeloo was much further away...More fuel to get there and more to come back.

Il6diVB.png
The ship as fuel only in the top tank and it's not full. Not enough.

I am redesigning the space portion to carry more but that means redesigning the atmospheric portion as it's now too minimal. It was small with no wasted parts.

I'll get there yet.

EDIT: Cant remember the takeoff weight but is was around 40t. So I can work on that. It won't be one of those "Less than 5t.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Today, I worked on a model of the Valkyrie shuttle from Avatar (not the airbender). Got it mostly working. Now to find a tail for it...

Anyone have an idea for mods that aren't OPT? (I'm already using it)

Finally launched my first science station. Put a cupola on the MPL & shot it to the Mun. I gathered all the science & crew reports I could around Kerbin & the Mun, & the scientists are currently crunching away at all the data.

I think next Im gonna try to launch a Munar lander, & maybe have it dock with the station around the Mun, to complete a contract I have to dock 2 vessels around the Mun. Should be fun, considering I've never docked anything before, & my Munar station has a weird angle to its orbit.

Got some play time in (and it has become rare now) but I used it and a custom probe to confirm my new skill at writing CRP configs. Now I can customize the resource bias of a planet; even a whole star system. :) 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Not in KSP but stopped me from playing. Or doing anything on my computer, really.

Protip: Don't delete Linux partitions because you don't use Linux anymore. Bad things happen.

You probably deleted the primary partition. A windows rescue disk should be able to spot windows on another part of the drive and make that the start partition.

...maybe. I knew how it worked with fat32 formats, but now everything's gone gpt and windows may just refuse to acknowledge the entire drive.

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

Next up...  Will it space?

Well, look at that...  It does space!

lwRLAmO.png

SgxEs9C.png

XxpV82X.png

uKGZJjK.png

ReQo0zr.png

But will it land

That, it seems, will have to wait until after breakfast.

Edited by RoboRay

So... mission control need surfaces sample from everywhere that is sample-able. And everything from Moho to the moons of Jool has already been done - which means they have to set their sights on the outer planets: Sarnus, Neidon, Urlum and Plock. This is a little intimidating, because they aren't very well mapped and nobody is quite sure what it's going to take to get around them.

Conclusion? We need more margin for error.

ILLkWys.jpg

Kicking off the Odyssey's "outdated" 1200 isp engines, the engineering crew swap them out for some brand new 1560s fresh off the factory floor, boosting the Odyssey's range to 15.3km/s with a Telemachus class rover in tow. This, mission control feels, is a safe number with which to begin the exploration of the further reaches of the solar system.

(Ed: 15,000 science points went into that LV-N upgrade :(  A similar number has been spent on some other components, but I don't think those will be used for the next mission. Currently there are two high paying Eeloo contracts, and Telemachus is perfect for that already, so it's a bit of a no brainer to send the Odyssey as-is. Also, faffing around with those ships to swap the engines was really hard work - to the point I forgot to take many screenshots, resulting in the poor camera work.) 

14 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Nah, build a spacedock.  /stirringthepot

The problem is that for objects above 1 ton - for example, engines - you need to have the container, plus multiple EVA kerbals, within a few metres of the site you want to place it. Spacedocks don't really help with that... what you need is a mobile doohicky that can RCS around and attach to various sites on the target vessel.

Which I completely failed to make. For some reason I made a nuclear tug, with RCS, with the result that it's way heavier than it needs to be. It's also a pain to hold it still while a kerbal hooks up the connectors. Next cargo pod will have a klaw on one end so that it can just reverse into the target and lock in place. And maybe some EVA chairs, RCS and monoprop so that the tug can stand off to one side during the operation.

6 hours ago, eddiew said:

You probably deleted the primary partition. A windows rescue disk should be able to spot windows on another part of the drive and make that the start partition.

...maybe. I knew how it worked with fat32 formats, but now everything's gone gpt and windows may just refuse to acknowledge the entire drive.

Yeah, that's what happened. I just need to get Windows 8.1 on a disk or something.

Continuing preparations for a mission to Sarnus; or specifically, Eeloo, since there are contracts for flag planting and orbital surveys. 

With the Odyssey's engines upgraded, what she needs now is a fresh crew, the last few gallons of fuel, and a couple of subsidiary probes to fulfil some contracts at other moons. Tackling all of these at once, flight commander and pilot Jay Kerman, engineers Thystle and Otter Kerman, and scientists Nimoy and Kelley Kerman take off in an Investigator MPV. By pure chance skillful piloting, the station passes close overhead during ascent, so Jay guns the throttle and catches up to it. Who needs Hohmann transfers when you can just pretend it's a computer game and fly straight to where you want to be?

WpcijTZ.jpg

With a full load of fuel, probes and the same Telemachus rover that went to Dres, the Odyssey's superb new engines read a mighty 17.3km/s, which flight deems satisfactory and gives the mission a green light. 

Bringing the Dres crew home via Starcrossed, Ellie transfers excess fuel to Widget and Sylveon, noticing as she does that the Eve tug still contains experimental results from the purple planet. Mission control is both pleased and mildly irked by this discovery, since there's a good chance that that data could have bought some additional upgrades for the Odyssey, but nobody has the heart to do that mission twice and the margins are considered satisfactory anyway. 

Merlin, Yuki, and Rei are all promoted to 5-stars upon landing, meaning that the entire roster is now operating at maximum capacity. Maybe it's time to take on some newbies for the drudge tasks? 

Edited by eddiew

Yesterday and a bit of today so far actually.

After landing on Bop and Pol, and then returning to Kerbin... The dress rehearsal for my Jool-5 is complete.  There was a bit of drama in returning from Bop,but a quick trip out to refuel the lander made short work of that.  Details here in my challenge log thread.

Next up, going through my notes and updating the designs of the various vehicles, then after figuring out how to boost them into orbit assembly of the actual mission begins.

Just got back into KSP after a long hiatus, hopefully I won't become completely addicted this time. I recently formatted my PC, so I'm starting fresh with a new save and stuff. I've been quite productive the last couple days, last night I built a temporary science station to farm some science.

20161007235652_1_zpsqpp5tfbr.jpg

I've also kept Jeb's butt nice and toasty.

20161007224340_1_zpsztown1u8.jpg

Edited by Mjarf

On 10/6/2016 at 11:06 AM, eddiew said:

G57RYtT.jpg

...pants.

Yes. Yes you can do that. : D 

Spoiler

GazWXec.png

13 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Today, I worked on a model of the Valkyrie shuttle from Avatar (not the airbender). Got it mostly working. Now to find a tail for it...

Anyone have an idea for mods that aren't OPT? (I'm already using it)

The B9 HL (Mk3 class) cargo tail will fit the bill. It's even white on top and black underneath just like the Valkyrie.