What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

9 hours ago, eddiew said:

You probably deleted the primary partition. A windows rescue disk should be able to spot windows on another part of the drive and make that the start partition.

...maybe. I knew how it worked with fat32 formats, but now everything's gone gpt and windows may just refuse to acknowledge the entire drive.

Just an windows install disk tend to restore this option. 

Docked my systemliner 18 to an heavy Minmus miner, if you want an high capasity mining rig build it like an hybrid of an heavy lifter and an oil platform, not as an standard planetary base. 
QFor2Yhh.png
Core stack with ISRU, hitchhiker, MK2 can as cockpit, science lab, service bay and monoprop tank, 
4 side stacks poodles, rocket and liquid fuel hitchhiker and ore, docking ports on top, corridors from side stack crew compartment for look. 
Designed to dump the monoprop tank for life support and use the radial tanks for rcs once we get KIS and TAC life support. 

Done in 1.2 so stock outside of KER, one issue is that the systemliner class is less stable during aerobrake than in 1.13, in 1.13 it could brake from the training run outside kerbin SOI down to Pe 40 and AP 200 Km, in 1.2 an minmus return makes it tumble even the version with 6 airbrakes for stability. 
Thinking of dropping the shield as its pretty pointless. 

Edited by magnemoe

-Got Firespitter up and running on 1.2
-Built a few prop planes (Airplane Plus) and messed around
-Launched 4 network satellites using the Kickback SRB as the main rocket and a small LF rocket for a second stage. Worked like a charm!
(basically I built a giant Model Rocket)

Had contract to recover object from kerbin orbit, sent up my usual with grabber attachment and by there and it's a turbofan engine and no matter what speed or angle I could not grab the damn thing. Sent up new grabber with cargo ramp enclosed around it still no grab. Engine exploded when fired up engines to see if s return with it lose.

After finally discovering a fix for the slight exploding malfunctions on my new mothership, now named The Star Sapphire Mothership, construction was mostly complete, and trials began. After adding moar! engines, finding there was still not enough TWR, and then adding Vectors to boost the Rhinos, it was no longer bound to Kerbin's clutches!

bXleUmM.pngLwRhL07.png

I thought certainly that it would need moar! fuel and engines, or a redesign for better aerodynamics, as surely something as massive and complex as this craft cannot make it to orbit on the first try, right? 

I was wrong.

byi3SCT.png

6xbGC5N.png

It actually reached orbit! Not without there being only 30000 units of liquid fuel left in orbit.

I spent a good deal of time taking screenshots of it, and three are in the below spoiler.

Spoiler

ejb3kxM.png5nLw8lL.pngN6OmBkw.png

In the spoiler below this text are two gifs showcasing the ship's working cargo bay and concealable cupolas.

Spoiler

But now I have ran into the problem. This ship has little fuel left in orbit, and despite being an SSTO to LKO, it still cannot SSTO to Minmus. After doing the math, I realized that with full fuel, there are 128 of the largest stock fuel tank's worth of fuel. How is one supposed to refuel that, and how many more fuel tanks and engines does the 9000 ton ship need to partially negate the 350 tons of useless-except-aesthetics cargo bay part mass, enough for the ship to be capable of self-refueling on Minmus?

The current next steps for me appear to be to create a refueler, and to improve the size of the current design. 

Edited by LaytheDragon

I just discovered that I am a drooling idiot.

I wanted to push a D-size asteroid to Eve for a contract. After capturing a nice yellow magic boulderoid (Yay :)) I just couldn´t get the target center of mass part right. No matter what I tried, everytime I throttled up the ship would veer off course. This was the second asteroid I moved in 1.2pre and I had the same problem on the first one, too. To be honest I got a little bit mad and wanted to make a bugreport about "Asteroids center of mass is lying!", but then - for a last time - I opened the claws menu to click Free Pivot and saw... Control From Here...

It dawned on me.

y9UnKX9.png

My control pod isn´t in-line with the claw... DOH!

Now everything works perfectly. Only I feel incredibly stupid.

Jay's mission hasn't even left LKO and already Lyssa has hijacked it for her own purposes.

Today, those purposes involve a detour to Slate, a 0.72g vacuum moon around Sarnus - not very far from Eeloo, but still a pain to land on. Hence the hardware. It didn't take a lot (15,000 science points ;.;) to upgrade Telemachus to be ready for such a task, but balancing a dropship to within 1kNm of torque is a little outside the reach of in-situ upgrades, so a replacement unit was sent out, along with a team that Lyssa bullied persuaded to accompany her. As a result, the original Jool Discovery team is reassembled and about to become the first kerbals around the second gas giant of the Kerbol system!

Hopefully nobody will accidentally become an immortal energy being this time. (Ed: Although for those of us who read 2001, we know that Sarnus is the exact right place for such an event :wink:)

cxyGWP8g.jpg

The Odyssey is running a little heavy with Telemachus IV in tow, but only needs about 1/4 of her fuel to get into orbit around Slate. From there, the rover will discard it's drop tanks on descent and burn the majority of its own oxidiser during ascent, so the load will lighten significantly. There's more than enough oxisider in the Odyssey's tanks to refuel Telemachus for a smaller world like Eeloo, and if all goes well it's possible that mission control my try for Ovok and/or Hale afterwards - but that is at least six years in the future and nobody wants to guess how well the hardware will be holding up.

As for Tekto... that's a special case. The thick atmosphere demands an ascent vessel that, if not aerodynamic, at least has engine gimballing, and Telemachus simply can't offer either. A future Grenadier variant might be able to land a disposable rover, but for now, that moon is deemed outside the scope of this expedition.

(Ed again: yes, my engine efficiency is getting a bit sci-fi. You'd hope so too, given how far into their solar system these guys are progressing. Frankly, it's keeping my part count down while I remain on 1.1.3 and I'm happy that it's doing so!)

Edited by eddiew

On 10/2/2016 at 10:09 PM, hazard-ish said:

In my most difficult and tedious mission yet, I sent Jeb on an 84 year mission to Eeloo and back, requiring 12 gravity assists overall, using a craft that weighs just 3.6 tons! So much effort went into this one, from building the rocket and all the cars, writing custom configs for my visual mods to make Eeloo look just right, to actually performing each of the many many stages in the video! I really hope you like and appreciate what I've done here!

That was simply brilliant, I struggle to get something into a stable orbit still after owning the game for a very long time. What an "Epic" voyage!

Thanks for sharing the video, have recommended it to quite a few friends who play and are still in learner mode like myself.

First thing i build today was a Seaplane  which i will be sending to Laythe when 1.2 is out. It will be picking up cargo and moving equipment around.

iPckPFE.jpg

FFpQ2AF.jpg

Here are some stats:

qEJ8WDt.jpg

The other thing i build is an SSTO which will happily carry a 22,5 ton Cargo to a 75km Orbit with a few 100m/s of Delta-V for manuvering.

fb0to3W.jpg

L7qKP7W.jpg

The end of the nuclear Engine was sticking out inside the Cargobay, so i decided to build a little Reactor/Control-Unit with it.

3hOpPd8.jpg

And here are some stats:

nlUB9Cx.jpg

Today, I worked on this prototype model of the Valkyrie Shuttle from Avatar. It's a VTOL, and handles beautifully, despite the fact that the tail section is a fuselage section, not a tail.

dxsaaUQ.jpg

XJJUbnH.jpg

M2Nk5SD.jpg

FQG4EjC.jpg

YC8bcEP.jpg

And the VTOL still works even after coming back from orbit!

I though the firespitter oblong prop looked a bit 'modern' so I turned it into something that my spitfires will be able to use :D

FAB5512E9FEF2D2FAE0BCDCE1D4E1B2CC6A8822E (1280×1024)The Prop Blur:

43F7163AAD9B82D9CA7BCAA878F2E89CFD04253E (1280×1024)

The sound also sounds a bit modern, I'm working on a sound.

I sent a probe out, in the Enterprise's shadow and took this screenshot. Then I went and screenshot all of the planets for a big idea in Photoshop.

I didn't play for fun and my Dres mission. I played for more mod development and to produce cover art for that mod.

l04fXUA.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I have quite a big thing going on with 1.2, Konstruction, KIS and KAS... To make use of a RCS tug i had to attach a small relay antenna to the big yellow Orbital Rig and put two pilots into the lander can, and finally i could attach the KIS container by remote probe control... Now its getting rather good with KSP :D

hn6WcDa.png

Edited by Mikki
Typos:D

Despite some minor squabbling amongst the crew, the Sarnus mission proceeds apace. Passing into the gas giant's SoI, the probes are unbundled and sent on their way before the Odyssey makes final course adjustments for a Slate intercept. As it gets closer, the crew notes... it looks kind of like a baseball.

MTEoeQF.jpg

After a few days spent mapping the moon's rugged surface, two potential landing sites are chosen. The first seems flatter and has a smaller distance between the contracted biomes. The second has Sarnus in the sky, more ground to cover, and brutal terrain.

Lyssa opts for the second because what's the point of a mission without a few good photographs?

xC9kTmK.jpg

I expanded my Almaz inspired station...

Kliper shuttle docked

Xxe7jAU.png

Apollo launch!?

WUAL3qy.png

U0u2sbC.png

Docking module

qH8fLPu.png

AATP: Apollo-Almaz-y Test Project

nCwU4fd.png

Docked!

mDk44GB.png

With crew craft returned from the station, Phase 2 of Almaz-y station commences...

P7NXYI6.png

Module 3 upper stage

Eh0mKey.png

Module 3 docked

Zcc2Ers.png

Module 4 follows

ts1lHHS.png

Soyuz-K launch

CmPktXk.png

Soyuz-K in orbit

Im4gl7X.png

Almaz-y in final configuration, with 2x Soyuz-K docked

5eY4dvf.png

Edited by Jabbman
for typos

Restarting from scratch after the eggbox update devoured the previous one.

grrr.

anyway running on hard career mode, self imposed rule of no science from KSC

so far we have one orbital mission and the easy science from near KSC, just unlocked basic aero to build a basic plane for recon contract farming before upgrading KSC a bit

Today I reinvented my Mun infrastructure. Not the most unique task, but I quite like the new Stheno landers I've developed (the smaller of which is pictured below). I also did a minor redesign of my Organa-class transports (again) and I think I might have slightly overdone it, since a vehicle that was designed for visiting planets between Eve and Richell can now go as far in as Moho or as far out as Eeloo (or potentially Urlum, but that would depend on payload).

Pictured is the 2-kerbal Stheno 1 Mun lander. Other variants are the 6-kerbal Stheno 2, and the Stheno-F cargo variant (the F means freight transport).

BZbjCR8.png

----------------------------------------------------------------

@eddiew If you get bored of just exploring the outer planets, perhaps you should take a look at Xen's Planet Collection. They're pretty well-made and would probably fit in well with the rest of your series (assuming it's normal to just spontaneously discover 2 planets and some moons after years of exploring the solar system), and in any case the Moons of Eeloo section of that mod might be nice to have since with OPM it will add a couple of minor moons to Plock-Karen instead.