What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I succeeded  in a few things. For once.

http://imgur.com/a/G4NFa

I launched a 13t ship to Eeloo.

jcu8CUa.png

Zioy07w.png

Actually got there on Ions.

8NjLmDm.png

I wanted to see if I could get there. One.

See if I could land an Ion ship. Two.

And no, I can't. MechJeb set the descents then refused to stop the crashes. Then I did my own and I can't do it either.

At the weight of my ship one engine is insufficient to stop the acceleration downward. If I try a "Hover" descent then I run out of electricity.....Bummer.

Eeloo is said to be as the Mun (Wiki) so I wanted to see if I can "Land" a naked lone Kerbal. Three.

I can. No taking off again. But I knew that part.

I might be the only person ever to land and EVAed Kerbal there.

zHI0Gb7.png

aasq6fa.png

EU4uv6k.png

I still have to "Fly" Jeb back. But I got bored. (He is in the ship I F9-ed him back in)

So I thought I need a very-light-landing-craft for Eeloo.....

What is lighter than an MMU?

This is MMU 1 Valentina did the honors as Jeb is in Deep Space.

nq6um7A.png

OrIFjov.png

And the winner:

MMU 2erejoNa.png

Did you know that the dish-s (Dishes?) have a hollow base?

vrjl5cy.png

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Well did this while KSP 1.2 was still beta:

DD76FF79FF581F14D153F35E21DBB64C008BE41A

Needless to say. This was the second time they passed out for the hi-gee passout contract. Also this was supposed to have 2 chutes and yes they did live. Broke off the other while spinning with lvl-909 enging going in space with a sub-orbital tragetory. Also lost the engine the was supposed to slow the craft down a bit too due to the spinning. Edit: What I did today was set up a second monitor so when I get around to streaming. I can then read chat..

Edited by Aragosnat

All manned operations outside of atmospheric fight is on hold and all kerbals pulled back to base because of the event. 
Robotic missions is ongoing but on low activity. 
Notable is the return of tanker 1, 
N088eoah.png
Confirm that airbrakes are less effective than they was in 1.13,
This required spin stabilizing who also worked well for cooling. 
tqK2Wpfh.png
Four long MK3 tanks around an 3.75 meter core, looks to be a bit to wide as the rcs would overheat, with spin even the airbrakes was cool.
Pe below 38km resulted in tumble and breakup, 

10 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Very, very cool. How'd you get them to be separate? Offset tool?

I tried once with decoupler chains. The less said about that, the better.

I used the new upper nodes on the fairing bases, with the visible trusses turned off, two angled ones from the pod, one coming straight back from each engine.

OMG, I'm having a blast with this thing!

6eqihQo.png

Edited by RoboRay

29 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

Turn on Terrain Scatter!

And ramp it up to 100...

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

I used the new upper nodes on the fairing bases, with the visible trusses turned off, two angled ones from the pod, one coming straight back from each engine.

OMG, I'm having a blast with this thing!

6eqihQo.png

Looks like it might be time to revive the Boonta Eve Classic Challenge. Must admit I had a blast with that.

Now all we need is for the Kerbal Foundries mod to be revived.

Yesterday I played an hour or two before bed and managed to get "rolling around the KSC" and get enough science for today's expedition to Minmus.

2mGWbPp.png
Delivered via the Minmus Exploration Automated Lander (MEAL) . . .  

iQEG5xi.png
. . . The Minmus Exploration Rover (with Bob at the helm) features a Probodobodyne Okto for auto-pilot, a static Communotron 16-S, 8x RCS Nozzles 735 units of Monoprop.

It also features a Goo Canister, Science Jr., Thermometer and a Barometer to collect that sweet science off Minmus.  So Bob started roving around. 
After a few Kerbal days (few RL hours), Bob was done.  He went outside to plant a Flag on the Greater Flats, and awaited the Rescue Ship to bring himself and that science home.

qEcX7po.png
Good Job Bob ! You got science from every biomes and still had 307 units of monoprop left. Successful mission with a successful rover.  Now sit tight, we're coming to get ya ! 

bc6Lgkr.png
The Rescue-One has landed, piloted by Valentina. The science Bob transmitted home helped tremendously in getting this craft built.

bABACCF.png
Bob gathers the science off the Experiment Storage Unit . . .

Y1UzGRj.png
. . . and eagerly boards the Rescue-One to return home.  After a full 31-day mission, he's earned it ! 

L42NCkD.png
A night landing proved no challenge for Valentina, but the ablator ran out as the Mach effect appeared.  It's as if the KSC planned it or something.

Mission Over !

Qhl9uea.png
Sweet, sweet science !   A very successful and productive day indeed...

First real test run of 1.2 went great.  The performances increase are absolutely amazing, and I really love the science box and... 1.2 is Great ! :wink:
Don't know what I'll be doing next.  A few Kerbin missions to make sure to keep a positive cashflow, and maybe the moon if I have all the parts that I want unlocked.

Thank you for reading !

Edited by Francois424

Making their escape from Eeloo, the Telemachus meets up with the Odyssey and transfers to Ovok. Which proves to be quite hard to scan, since its SoI is barely bigger than the minimum altitude for the scanner. While pondering over the results, the crew notice an anomaly in the mapping data, and mark it as the first landing site.

Since Jay and Lyssa Kerman have both shown a propensity to get bored and waste fuel, rover-enthusiast Ellie Kerman is put in charge of the landing on Ovok.

bUoVVH0.jpg

Whelp... ok, we could have predicted that anomaly, really. Ellie is somewhat disappointed to not turn into an immortal energy being.

u6cAo4e.jpg

Ironically, it turns out that driving a rover like a rover on Ovok is simply impossible. The microgravity gives the wheels no effective traction, and any movement just launches the rover into the air. So, hopping it is - over three different survey locations for a total of twelve landing sites. Fortunately, this moonlet's escape velocity is only 25 32m/s so it really doesn't take a lot of gas to pootle around on its surface. Total money haul from Ovok; 8.3 million roots.

Edited by eddiew

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So.... what happens if you jump??

I don't know, I stuck to RCS only... but I suspect you'd get a good 5-10k apoapsis out of it. My rover regularly went on an escape trajectory while just trying to hop a few km... 

And next is Hale, which is even smaller :S 

11 minutes ago, eddiew said:

I don't know, I stuck to RCS only... but I suspect you'd get a good 5-10k apoapsis out of it. My rover regularly went on an escape trajectory while just trying to hop a few km... 

And next is Hale, which is even smaller :S 

OPM, right? Gonna have to give that a try one day...

The transition from pre-release to release went smooth and everything was running fine at my mun station. I got the power module added too.

So, it got me thinking since everything was good, I should try to get a probe to Duna. I slapped one together and sent it to LKO only to learn that the transfer window is WAAAY away. I don't want to skip that much time, so I figured I should do a manned mission while I'm at it. I designed a 2 part ship to get to Duna, do a landing and get back to Kerbin. This is when I noticed I'm short on crew and since I'm too cheap to hire some new blood, I started doing rescue missions, but most of them were on mun, so I had to re-design my rescue ship.

When I finally got the crew together and there were still time, I decided I should try it out on a minmus mission and finish some contracts while there. Everything went great, got the contracts done and found few flaws on my design. Major one being that I forgot the parachutes from the return vessel.

So, after a one more rescue mission to get my Duna crew back to Kerbin, I'm finally getting ready to start the actual mission. This game is really starting to interfere with my life. Way too much hours spent playing the last couple days. Maybe I'll take a few days break... after the Duna mission of course.