What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Against my better judgement, I've recruited "Trama Kermin" ... yup, that's right, that's her name, "Trama". I've put her aboard 'the bus' which is headed to my orbiting lab. Can't wait to see if she lives up to her name. If I ever run across another female "Drama Kermin", for sure the two of them will become a permanent team.

I finally figured out a decent way to land rovers, by sticking them in a service bay & rolling them out of it when it lands. So I sent a rover to the Mun & promptly landed it on the dark side. :( Whoops. Guess its gonna be stuck up there.

I'll send one to Minmus tomorrow,

Continuing my new career save in 1.20, I wanted to go to the Mün...  Not because it is easy but because it is full of Science.  Unfortunately, the folks at B9 Aerospace did not finish the M27 cockpit in time for the missions, and we decided to farm Kerbin for science with the newly unlocked FS-100 "Owl" propeller engine, and all the science experiment tools we developed after the Minmus mission returned.  It also gives us the means to conduct a lot of surface experimentation contracts scattered all over the planet.  A fitting test for the new engine.

g0dsf2K.png
Now where have I seen this thing before?  The Delta-One piloted by Bob and his new friend the nosecone autopilot module leaves on a mission to science as much as Kerbin as possible.

fvTkHFh.png
Night is falling a bit after half the mission... The onboard generator is already using LFO for power because Bob broke the Port solar panels when doing EVA earlier... We have enough fuel to bring the Delta-One home, however !

aSXYLq0.png
A night landing ? No problem.  With the "Mooooreee Liggggghts"TM illuminated runway, the Delta-One easily positions itself for it's final approach . . .

6abrvhf.png
. . . and nails the landing on the first try... Man these Crickets are so quiet, lets ask the caretaker of the fields to breed some with a louder voice.

Zzt2b75.png
Not as Impressive as the Minmus mission, but this amount of science off Kerbin is impressive.  Now if we could only get what we need for the Mün mission.  I guess it's tourist time later !

It was very satisfying using my own propeller engine in 1.20, let alone in a career game where science counts towards getting more juicy parts unlocked.
Now it's back to doing some contracts and hoping for the M27 cockpit to be updated soon for my Mün mission.

G'night all !

Edited by Francois424

On 9/20/2016 at 0:38 PM, Azimech said:

Four engined turboprop has been done before, unfortunately.

Yes. Quite a few times including some experiments I didn't bother publishing. Honestly not sure why it would be done in KSP though. For any concievable situation besides building a quadcopter, 2 bigger engines is better than 4 smaller ones. Fuel efficiency is better. Drag characteristics are better. Weight is better. The craft is easier to manage. Part count is almost certainly lower.

I'm just imagining what an 8x Screecher plane would be like to fly. Eww.

Their B-17 is quite pretty though.

Edited by Pds314

No mission updates or new manned launches of any sort today. Only tweaks and test launches to a mothership in anticipation of one single large mod update and the beginning of the assembly of a flagship from another universe...maybe another game even. Sadly the ships are both Klassified :wink: ...for now.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

20 minutes ago, RX2000 said:

I finally figured out a decent way to land rovers, by sticking them in a service bay & rolling them out of it when it lands. So I sent a rover to the Mun & promptly landed it on the dark side. :( Whoops. Guess its gonna be stuck up there.

I'll send one to Minmus tomorrow,

Just wait a bit. It'll come into sunlight as the Mun orbits.

Continuing the career. I decided to do some orbital ballet today, a fly-by of Eve followed by Duna. The craft was basically my orbital tug with a lengthened fuel tank and a 909 engine with some crew modules. It's ... kind of ugly.

While this was all fun and games, I am now trying to figure out how to get it home on limited delta-V using multiple slings around Kerbin. It has so far been a years-long process.

5LxsEuA.png

CmXWMj2.png

2xkfSuN.png

APdfRVR.png

Edited by regex

Built a kick-butt single engined plane, inspired by the Dassault Mirage planes.

screenshot0_4.pngscreenshot2_3.png

Yessir, that's a coke-bottle tapered fuselage!

She'll maintain 650 m/s @ 7000 m ASL in Dry Mode. Top speed is around 920 m/s @7000 m ASL Wet.

At that speed and altitude (Dry mode) it has a 4100 km range (or about 1 hour 39 minutes flight time give or take a minute) with a 580 unit fuel capacity.

Lands and takeoff's  a bit fast (60m/s and 85 m/s respectively) but it's smooth and predictable.

Edited by GDJ

Been a bit too stressed lately to work on any of my "serious" saves, so instead been messing with 1.2 and sent a big mobile base to Duna. Then I picked up a couple of contracts to return components from there to Kerbin (and one lost Kerbal) that just happen to be what's needed for a crew return ship as well. I just need to gather them. 

So, how to schlep (I'm guessing) a Mk1-2 pod & Hitchhiker to the survey site where they'll meet the return ship for assembly? The base is too long already, and loading stuff on top would make it dangerously top heavy. Then I hit on the idea to make a couple of pup trailers using Klaws with the pivot released. Probably an overwhelming "DUH!" from some folks around here but it never crossed my mind before (stock hinges continue to astound me). Initial testing on Kerbin from bits lying around is promising, the thing is surprisingly stable when it's not wobbling around all over the place...

n59cRd6.gif

11 hours ago, Brikoleur said:
  • Is the 1.25 m heat shield sufficient for aerocapture off Jool, or do I need to use the 2.5 m one?

You can almost certainly use either Laythe or Tylo to gravity capture at Jool, leaving you with a higher PE and lower risk :)  Set a manoeuvre node about a year out and just diddle the pro/retro and radial/anti by a few m/s. Nearly every time you'll find an intercept with one of the big moons for under 20m/s that'll do all the capture work for you. Unless you're intentionally doing science in the atmosphere...

@eddiew and @Martian Emigrant -- thanks for the tips. I'll try to aerocapture off Laythe or Tylo then, although I do want to do some atmosphere science on Jool itself as well, but I'm sure it'll be less risky from orbit than from a transfer trajectory.

Miniproob definitely doesn't have enough dV to get off Laythe, so I think I'll make that the final destination. I will make it so the tail and hat are dockable so it'll be the final stop, with science radioed back.

12 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

@eddiew and @Martian Emigrant -- thanks for the tips. I'll try to aerocapture off Laythe or Tylo then, although I do want to do some atmosphere science on Jool itself as well, but I'm sure it'll be less risky from orbit than from a transfer trajectory.

Miniproob definitely doesn't have enough dV to get off Laythe, so I think I'll make that the final destination. I will make it so the tail and hat are dockable so it'll be the final stop, with science radioed back.

Don't try aerocapture at Tylo, it's atmosphere will rip you to shreds!:0.0:

31 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

You don't need to aerocapture at all, you can go purely by gravity assist. Tweak your encounter until you pass Tylo or Laythe on the way in, and watch what happens to your trajectory when you pass on one side or the other of them. One side will fling you faster, the other will slow you down and put you into an elliptical Jool orbit. It can be a little fiddly, but on the whole I average less than 20m/s for Jool capture by this method :)

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:_Gravity_Assist may help.

And yeah, if I was going to atmosphere dive at Jool with no plan to come back, I'd do it from the lowest circular orbit possible so's to have the bare minimum impact velocity. Even then you're going to hit at 7-8km/s. Make sure you have your antenna so that it will be occluded from the air flow, and maybe test it on a Kerbin re-entry. Recommend the slightest tap of the upper atmosphere you can - like a PE just 1km inside it. You can do deep dives, but I suspect you'd want to be stacking heat shields, maybe using the big inflatable for the job.

@eddiew oh, I know about gravity assists. I just didn't realise it's possible to get capture by Jool only with grav assists -- going to definitely try that then. :)

1 minute ago, RX2000 said:

Are you sure? I thought the Mun was tidally locked like our moon, with a dark side?

Even a tidally locked body has a day/night cycle, unless it's tidally locked to it's star. Our moon has a far side, that we never see, but we see the "dark side" anytime it's less than the full moon. One day/night cycle on the moon takes about 28 earth days.

That's true, but that means the same face of the Mun faces Kerbin, not the Sun.

As the Mun orbits Kerbin, it rotates in sync, so that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, just a lot slower.

As Pink Floyd said, there is no dark side of the Moon Mun, really.

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

@eddiew oh, I know about gravity assists. I just didn't realise it's possible to get capture by Jool only with grav assists -- going to definitely try that then. :)

Absolutely yes you can :)  It won't be very circular at the start, but you can tweak things at your AP until you get further encounters, and optionally use them to circularise further, or just dive into orbit of the moon you wanted to be at.

3rd panel below shows a Laythe encounter with around 200km PE, and the resulting trajectory afterwards; an elliptical Jool orbit with an AP only just outside Tylo's altitude. A few more loops brought me back to Laythe, and the insertion burn at that point wasn't excessively costly so I just went ahead and did it.

Spoiler

r8lkNsy.jpg

Full mission log:

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

Here's a recent mission of mine...  The craft is still out at the edge of Jool's SOI, but a flyby of Tylo completely captures the craft into orbit around Jool.  An 88 m/sec burn after passing Tylo sets up a Laythe encounter, and another 525 m/sec is needed to capture at Laythe (whether by burn or aerobraking).

rvprGHH.png

Edited by RoboRay

(1.1.3, 3 crit to 1.2) Spent last night working on my laptop save. Having determined that thanks to the shenanigans pulled during Juluna's initial rescue attempt that I was not going to get an Explore Mün contract in that save, I said "Kerb it" and decided send Bob to Mün for science farming. To that end, I built Flaming Death Trap 7, a science lander designed to hop Mün biomes. Due to low tech levels I once again designed a craft better suited for Minmus than Mün but should still be capable of doing the job. I also had to resort to the time-honored technique of 1.25 engine clusters since I have yet to unlock the 2.5 meter engines. Unlike my desktop save, however, I had yet to access Cubic Octagonal Struts, so I had to do it the hard way - with Modular Girders. Had a false start or two that was corrected with more Tail Fins. I'm happy to report that Bob is now Mün-bound.

kZg5TwJ.png

Flaming Death Trap 7 at launch.

C3CloZY.png

In orbit, final booster stage separation.
rRyPGnj.png

Münar transfer burn complete - en route to Mün.

Launched the Beep-Beep 7d probe for the fourth and final Kerbin-orbital contract I've got at the moment. I have to put that one waaaaay out there - pretty much on the edges of Kerbin's SOI, so I imagine I'll be working that particular contract for a while. Also puttered around a bit with the Bad Idea 1 aircraft. Made an attempt to get a crew report contract that went awry when I kicked up the physics warp level and the plane went out of control, deciding it wanted to fly inverted. Not quite sure why that happened there. Reverted the flight - might try again later. I need to get the SPH up to level 2 at least so I can try out Bad Idea 3 and see if I can't kick out some of the upper atmo contracts I've got at the moment. Got a lot going on, funds are starting to get low and the contracts aren't paying out as fast as I'd like at the moment...

Had the crappiest launch ever, every stage was too underpowered and I ended updoing most of my Mun transfer burn with my lander, still made it to the Munar surface though. Decided to get greedy and hit another biome, but because of this on the way home I ran out of fuel on the burn back to Kerbin- my Pe was at 221,000, so close! Thankfully after a lifetime of owning crappy cars Bob had the brilliant idea to get out and push, two trips out to the back of the lander and about 8 monoprop later my Pe was down to a perfect 23,000m :) I get a kick out of this game :P