What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I flew my Razorshuttle SSTO to Duna last night. It went perfectly; took a gravity assist from Ike to pull me into a suspiciously circular orbit around Duna and proceeded to slowly drop my orbit lower. I aerobroke through the atmosphere, dropping my periapse to 30,000km. I then dived fully into the atmosphere, dropping from orbit completely and proceeded to not get any reentry heating and glide slowly to the surface. I couldn't see through the sandstorm, and a mountain got in the way. My spaceplane was torn into pieces, with debri flying everywhere. The cockpit survived, and I used the vernor thrusters on the bottom to slow my fall. I hit the ground and slid down a hill, where Val, Jeb, Bill, Samantha, Scott and Luna Kerman are awaiting rescue. I'm thinking of searching for the life support module, as I saw it fly off and land about 2.4km away. The cockpit only has about a years worth of life support, so I'll have to scramble one of my life support delivery bots from my surface base on Ike to the crash site to give them a little longer. I'm already working on a rescue mission. Things is, the closest transfer window will take just over a year, so it'll be tight. That means minimal testing, and that's what I do best!

Well, I've done too much stuff in KSP during a one-week span after 1.2's release to write down in this post. I'll get back to my First Days in 1.2 in a bit. My SCIENCE! save has been very active; I've logged about 10+ hours total on it (I think).

But the other day, KSP gave me a Blue Screen of Death and nearly melted my computer's circuts!

So, it's coming time to pull my Kerbals back off my lunar space stations; 90 days is enough for a lunar mission, and they deserve rest, recuperation, and non-freeze-dried snacks. This does, however, raise the question of who will replace the first crews, as while I had a few unassigned 3-star Kerbals, it's not enough to man two stations designed for eight each. At first, I was just going to dust off the old Drake/Draco-series landers and crew transport vehicles, but those take an annoying amount of time. The solution is more boosters Kerbals boosters and Kerbals.

An artist's rendering/KCT simulation of the new capsule on descent:

Spoiler

qsTBGBK.png

The first unmanned test flight of the Ultra capsule, which will attempt to replicate the intended mission profile (transfer to Mun, rendezvous with lander, interlunar transfer to Minmus, rendezvous with lander, return) before I commit sixteen Kerbals to this thing.

Spoiler

wwWHytE.png

Vehicle Specs

Spoiler

1022 tonnes at launch

Estimated payload to lunar injection: 40 tonnes (almost as much as the Saturn V).

The launch abort system by itself is 2.8 tonnes, consisting of an MRS/SpaceY 2.5m Sepratron nose cone with a half-dozen large ullage motors from KW Rocketry.

The parachutes mass a tonne by themselves.

The booster is a 7.5m stack tapering to a 3.75m fairing; upper stage is a SpaceY quad-Penguin running on hydrolox, the first stage a methalox SpaceY Ratite cluster with three 75-tonne SRBs.

An idle calculation: the hydrolox upper stage contains roughly the same chemical energy as 750 tonnes of TNT. I... do hope this booster never explodes.

The life-support tank is 1.4 tonnes to supply 16 Kerbals for 21 days.

I just (as of writing this) had to increase the life-support tank to that mass, as I'd initially been looking at the wrong column, and used a tank which would have been enough for only 6 Kerbals for 21 days.

Significant cost savings over my prior 4-man capsules; between all the vehicles I needed, the old 4-man approach costs 101k funds/Kerbal, and the new one costs just 54k funds/Kerbal.

In the end, though, built not because it was easy, nor because it was cheaper, but because it was really, really big.

Also, Jeb doing a Minmus biome hop, expending about 140 m/sec to hop from Lowlands to Slopes. For all my mucking about with 64k, Real Fuels, and such, I've never really biome hopped before.

Spoiler

iGWbHl9.png

A Kerbinrise:

Spoiler

Q6ZAQRs.png

My first dead-perfect Minmus transfer: no correction burns necessary, just a single ascent (ending with relative inclination of 0.13 degrees), followed by Hohmann transfer right on the DN (letting me match planes concurrently with the transfer).

Spoiler

teI6TYK.png

Edited by Starman4308

I feel like I'm missing out on SpaceY...

It looks like such a good mod, but I've been using KW Rocketry for years, and I don't want two massive part packs. Which is the better mod?

In other news, Val took a 5km round journey to inspect the suspected life support module. All that was left were some small capsules of food, water and oxygen and the oxygenator. I felt like there was no point using KAS to move this thing metre by painful metre, so I instead stocked up on all the life support I could grab and flew back to the cockpit. The rescue mission is due to launch tonight atop the brand new SLS Lite. It has a ton of delta V to toss around and the rescue vehicle will comfortably land on Duna, take off, land on Ike (to deposit any extra science) and return to Kerbin hopefully hassle free.

Edited by AccidentsHappen

I did a Whole ton of stuff over the past few days. Allot of it was playing KSP while listening to lectures on fluid dynamics and programming the core data structure for my own game. (I know I have problems) But Multitasking aside I have a few "chapters" in LASA's recent progress.

First of all I sent a satellite to deliver a Comsat around the Mun and then It continued on to gather science from both the Mun and into a stationary orbit around Minimus to gather more science and complete a contract. The satellite is due to return from Minimus some day and dump it's science payload into the atmosphere before burning up in the amosphere hopefully getting recovered by stage recovery. Here's some pictures of that happening.
mH2IUpw.pngKLFHjun.png
uGR5ybs.pngjjcUGhF.png

Spoiler

3eZLD8r.png

bqM0dog.png

sS57wSU.png

YtEeRJE.png
I went on to put this satellite into a polar orbit of Minimus to scan the planet with my magnetometer.

I then moved a scanning satellite around Minimus from orbit around Kerbin to join the ore scanning satellite already out there.
Then onto servicing the massive backlog of 20+ tourists waiting to do an orbit around Kerbin. My four Kerbal "Space Taxi MK3" can be payed for by a single Kerbal Tourist and comes with a command probe so still nobody needs to pilot them from the cockpit. The marketing team spun it as "Enjoy all the fun of being a pilot without all the actual terror of having others lives in your own hands". A memo has been stuck to the office fridge to remind the interns to unplug the controls before each flight.
s8nrBUE.pngJoqeoKx.png5LbLmMo.pngO7GhLhC.png

Spoiler

ZPpGiLl.png
Another one.
lSyp1ci.png
And we just found our newest brochure cover.
dKp86oU.png
koZJT02.png
58lk12W.png
Touchdown
oitsz2L.png
JD0rgIu.pngG3AlcU2.pngYrmJhBS.png

And Finally I got my station command module into orbit around Kerbin and getting rid of that contract. Unfortunately the orbital insertion engine that is for some reason locked onto the main module which will no doubt cause some future issues. I sent Bill out on a spacewalk to try and remedy the issue but there is only so much he could do with a wrench. I will have to leave it there until the orbital construction yard is ready and fitted so I can recover the materials and simply dismantle it and fit a new docking port that actually works. It's the only docking port that's different on the thing aswel. This thing actually fell back into the atmosphere from 100km to the tune of 50km before finally breaking the atmosphere a second time. A combination of under powered engines in the mid stage and poor tech tree decisions but If jeb can make orbit sitting in a command seat on the side of an SRB he can lift his beast. This spoiler is a tad image heavy.
NNDCscB.pngB4sizu5.pngZwlQ7ng.pngvDhjQA0.png

Spoiler

2iJqxGW.pngPJaZIHO.png
Gotta love that staging satisfaction. But seriously am I the only one with a sexy staging fetish?
OZYhrry.pnglC9YvJY.pngfdNiCd8.pngyDZrTvy.png
Oh yeah that's some sweet staging symmetry....... Mmmmm
Aww DAMNIT that didn't happen in testing. Maybe it was the steeper angle that did it.
JrtPvwk.png1XQ67GM.pngb7ggBqF.png
And the reveal. Love the way those fairings tumble oh yeah :sticktongue:
iW3ml0q.pngldUd25s.png
Gwaaan Jeb!rGr7Liy.pngHFHkePx.png
A Moment to configure the docking cameras, enjoy the sights and prepare to release the engine back down to Kerbin for a controlled decent.
4Q46PSt.png
At this point Jeb informs the crew the stage has Jammed. He gives out to Bill for not testing it properly and sends him out to sort it out.
09S0mFj.pngnEKLTIw.png4FhaQg6.pngGXCatKC.pngEIZJVaU.png
The hell is Bill dragging into orbit with him? Is that a case of Beer??? On EVA??? At least he brought his wrench and manual with him.
r3tjhYT.png
4vBwYKM.png
Bill spent some time breaking stuff examining the problem before deciding he couldn't be bothered it was too dangerous and a waste of resources to continue without somewhere to store the Materials for the dismantled engine right now and so returned to his cabin to put his feet up for a bit run some numbers for the storage needed for the next module.
I4uVZjw.pngWBTcj23.pngKxNGf1G.png
Love the way the antennas work and look. Now only if Bob could figure out how to make more room for the M.O.L.E lab experiments. If only he had access to some sort of forums to help him.
sTlsFwO.png

That took a long time to make and to post but I hope yall like it.

Edited by ThatHomelessGuy

2 hours ago, AccidentsHappen said:

I feel like I'm missing out on SpaceY...

It looks like such a good mod, but I've been using KW Rocketry for years, and I don't want two massive part packs. Which is the better mod?

In other news, Val took a 5km round journey to inspect the suspected life support module. All that was left were some small capsules of food, water and oxygen and the oxygenator. I felt like there was no point using KAS to move this thing metre by painful metre, so I instead stocked up on all the life support I could grab and flew back to the cockpit. The rescue mission is due to launch tonight atop the brand new SLS Lite. It has a ton of delta V to toss around and the rescue vehicle will comfortably land on Duna, take off, land on Ike (to deposit any extra science) and return to Kerbin hopefully hassle free.

KW Will be my old favorite, I use the mod since KSP 0.18 so it feels like treason if I don't install KW. But  I never have enough engines so I install engines from the SpaceY mod (and other mods) that suits my rockets, probes and landers nothing else. So if you like you could only add the parts you like, isn't it. SpaceY has a lot of parts that I never use. From KW mod I use almost all the parts, the ones I don't need will be removed.

Edited by Aluminator

Released revivals of two mods:  BOSS, and SXT Continued.

Also fixed bug in HullcamVDS Continued.

Repackaged EVA Parachutes and Ejection Seats to stop log spam.  Added optional patch to have ejection module added to all crewed parts without the ejector part

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Released revivals of two mods:  BSS, and SXT Continued.

Repackaged EVA Parachutes and Ejection Seats to stop log spam.  Added optional patch to have ejection module added to all crewed parts without the ejector part

Sweet dude. I was just checking out your mods on Spacedock. Nice work!:wink:

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Released revivals of two mods:  BSS, and SXT Continued.

Awesome! I love the ejection seats mod. Needs a shorter name though...

Will you be taking over the Take Command mod like you said you might in that thread? It's a great mod and I don't want to see it die. 

Started a Career save, got some science, unlocked some engines and tanks, sent Jeb to orbit, used tiny amount of remaining fuel to run my orbit through the atmosphere, ran out of fuel, collected science, engaged in 7 painstakingly slow aerobrakes, almost fell off my chair and died, almost put on infinite fuel, rocked back and forth under my table, almost threw my laptop out the window, FINALLY dipped fully through the atmosphere, engaged chutes, landed, recovered vessel, and got 49.5 science. I went through all of that. For 49.5 science. Couldn't it have been at least 50...?

The orange suits and I went out Screenshot-Hunting and for more Math-gathering in even more Sandbox. Jebediah went to both of Gael's moons in a rather nicely designed far-future scout ship based on my Alien Air Koaster. There are a few doses of Tweakscale in it.

EyWUulq.jpg

Valentina and the other guys went to Tellumo the other blue planet in a compact "dV tester" ship...which sadly for this post is hidden in the lens flare. Unfortunately also, this part of their mission failed. My ship needed to have a lot more to itself to do its job at Tellumo.

wLxjcol.jpg

50 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The orange suits and I went out..........

They wont be orange suits for long. At least not in the Ciro System... Also Jeb, Bill and Bob have aged :wink:

Edited by Galileo

*Ahem*. This thread is "What Did You Do In KSP Today" not "What Didn't You Do In KSP Today":P.

I know how you can solve your problem!

Spoiler

DO SOMETHING!

Finally took my Solar Station One to it's intended orbit (it's been waiting in Mun orbit, docked to Mun Station One, for a long time).

The contract stipulated > 6000 units of oxidiser so it was a wee bit strange (saved by DMagic's EVA Struts)

I trimmed the trust of the main engine to 10% to keep it from breaking apart so the burn took 13 minutes ...

Edit:

Noticed that one of the EVA struts securing the side tanks was actually misplaced.
So I had send Podwell out for another EVA, this time in Solar orbit, to fix his earlier mistake.
Silly reaction to a game but it felt kind of real and a bit heart-pounding just as if I was watching a real astronaut doing repairs on ISS ...

nlvN3hC.png

Edited by Curveball Anders

I fixed the problem of it not moving back to cruise/park position by using wheel gear placed on top pushing down on a lever instead of using legs pushing forward at the bottom edge.

Turns out I was right to suspect that aerodynamic forces would rip off my Concorde's nose. It took a lot longer than I expected though. It would probably stay on there if I could get the docking ports to connect.

vyhhmeD.jpgaiEnaA2.jpg

*Thunk*

2s47KLq.jpg

*BANG*

1lVHrNt.jpg

Guess I need to reinforce the hinge. I think the problem is it wants to slide sideways a bit, which borks it and allows it to turn backwards.

Note: the canards are just there to help with testing until I can figure out a way to move the COM backwards, since the new nose is heavier than the old one.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Now that 1.2 is out, I figured now would be as good a time as any to come back to KSP

Annnddd the KSC is invisible :huh:. Well other than that everything seems to be working.

Fist order of business: Seeing if the Emerald's front landing gear is fixed.

It isn't. But that's okay! Milfred can fix it! And now I feel like an idiot for not realizing it was literally broken sooner.

Emerald_Fixed.png

Second order of business: Seeing how easy it is to take off and land with the new landing gear.

Taking off: Easy

Soontobe_RIP.png

Landing: Hard

Orange_Streak.png

I don't think that had anything to do with the wheels though. Really should've put bigger wings and more control surfaces on this.

Edited by Brownhair2

As part of my career save, I built a rocket system for my Mun-shot. Due to the lack of space and power to send both the lander and the CM up at the same time, I made two rockets; both can reach the Mun where they dock, exchange crew, land, do things, return to the CM, dock, clear the lander and return to Kerbin. The system can also reach Minmus without any kind of modification.

b92e183b74.png

80e0833560.png