What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Apparently some of the physical properties of certain parts (Rapiers?) were changed with the 1.2 update. That basically caused my space plane design to flip out of control on re-entry as the Center of Lift apparently moved in front of the center of mass. I managed to regain control in every case so far but that landing technique was rather VTOL than near the target. So I had to readjust the wings and fuel tanks of my "Mjölnir" SSTO space plane.

Here she is:

https://s11.postimg.org/l2r16aokj/screenshot2.png

Kind of begs for the epic question: Did Thor ever have to readjust the mass of his hammer due to a version change?

I tested some mid-game Mun infrastructure, as well as getting some more use out of my new Raven series of rockets.

Below: a Duck VLV-1 is launched on a Raven II 402.

wjif45Q.jpg

Below: Duck VLV-1 and R2 upper stage in Munar orbit.

SUppYdQ.jpg

Below: a Mercury CT-2C (variant designed for transporting 2 kerbals to/from orbit of either of Kerbin's moons; has a smaller docking port than standard and a more powerful launch vehicle).

xMXTZ0J.jpg

My first manned mission to Jool has completed its insertion via a "Triple bypass".

1EXvk2q.jpg

My transfer stage still has 1362 m/s left, and the main tanks of the Kentipede MkIII hold 908 m/s, plus an extra 424 m/s in the form of ore. With the xfer module doubling as a lithobrake, and 150 m/s impact tolerance on the wheels, I have my pick of the moons,

Edited by SingABrightSong
Corrected typo

On 10/28/2016 at 3:31 PM, eloquentJane said:

They do to some extent, but KJR still helps out. Or at least it would, if it didn't prevent my spacecraft from accelerating beyond 400m/s (which I suspect is due to some unusual mod interaction rather than the mod itself, but I don't know).

I had some whacky flipping behavior with KJR too. My launchers would suddenly veer off-course during launch. removing KJR solved it.

Minmus base is completed. 
bc2KqV1h.png
Mining rig, greenhouse and some life support systems in the low structure below, an stack of gold ore tanks, an workshop for building parts, the greenhouse and the tanks was constructed locally.
To right an heavy lander with gold is connected and is almost filled with gold. 

Landing one of this payloads, around 300 ton the orange tank and the side tanks was only enough to take it from Minmus surface to kerbin aerobrake position. 
Qqu6XFSh.png
Worked pretty well even if it broke up 
NEBPUSqh.png

Wow, are the forums really active, or is it just me?

Anyway, I did all of this today. Everything. Mission plan, construction, docking, etc.

MOTHER_Ready.png

This is the Massive Orbital Transport, Housing and Exploration Rocket (MOTHER). Docked onto the back are two Duneshifters (chemical spaceplanes). I finally found a use for IR: rotating the docking ports so the planes are pointing forward. It's going to Arin, because I think I have a window right now and I have nothing better to do. I have the sneaking suspicion it's going to be too hot though. Anyway, all it needs are a minor refuel and maybe a small mining probe (I'm not confident that I have enough Delta-V).

Edited by Brownhair2
forgot that the duneshifters had drop tanks

So, I have a couple images of an unmanned test flight's completion:

Spoiler

aijDawM.png

IM20nw5.png

xaKuaQK.png

Rumors that the first manned flight had been sitting on the pad for days waiting for the clear-to-go signal are absolutely founded in fact.

Spoiler

YDFm1Ph.png

lyCV4S1.png

Random ascent image that is now my desktop background:

Spoiler

vaPauwA.png

I thought the refueler would look weird, but it's actually fairly rocket-shaped

Refueler.png

Docking went smoothly.

Ooh.png

And we're off! Luckily for me I got an Arin transfer for only ~2000 Delta-V :D

Leaving_Sonnah.png

Edited by Brownhair2

58 minutes ago, Draconiator said:

Well I am TRYING to design an escape pod for my story that is tiny, and can easily stow away aboard a large ship...

...but I ended up making this cute thing.

d29899cdda4081ec60c21677d30bbcca.png

If your open to mods the USI Survivivability mod is quite good. 

Today (well, this weekend, when I wasn't busy moving boxes & throwing my back out), I dispatched my flotilla to Duna! (Part 1)

g69nQvD.png

Ok it's only three ships, and one of them is only going kinda-sota-close to Duna, but still...

Spoiler

The trailer!

e3Rr3bH.png

The return ship!

TN2GUTk.png

And... erm... that one other ship... photo not available... that going to pick up the rescue target pod that picked a fight with Ike & lost and is now stuck on a solar orbit.

Anyways...

The return ship arrives first, to my great surprise it successfully aerobrakes into a nice low Duna orbit using hardly any fuel.

S0RpFpq.png

...then deploys a mapping sat...

mt2nG5I.png

Behold... Asterisk 1!*

dkmvlpp.png

*no that's not enough panels to run an ion engine properly at Duna...

Following shortly is the trailer, picking up a handy gravity assist from Ike into a nicely inclined orbit with a big fuel savings.

zoUoYZG.png

Pay no attention to that massive debris field, nothing to see here, move along...

Yes, that's it's shadow down on Ike. Perhaps that gravity assist really was just a tad low...

apVmYJp.png

Once the ginormous weird-looking dish and its carrier satellite are detatched, it's also discovered that the massive thing is actually completely useless as a relay for some reason. This new comm system continues to vex me...

Moving on... the trailer deploys a secondary mapping/relay satellite, this one working much better.

UFrBCKJ.png

Freed of the superfluous, the trailer now begins its own perilous descent.

flkAOi0.png

It's a tricky precision landing and completely propulsive, the little drogues are just there for stability...

8ZmJUpM.png

Success! The trailer touches down only a couple of kilometers from the rover. Something explodes, but it probably wasn't important anyway. I hope.

GtmPgFw.png

As Dunian dawn breaks, the rover finally hooks up with the transport trailer.

pH31R2V.png

Er... Ceralla... you're supposed to hook up with the other end.

What's that? Oh. The rover is solar powered, the sun's not up yet, and the batteries just ran out so you kinda-sorta coasted into the trailer cuz you happened to be heading that way when the juice quit... ok, that's different...

Part 2 to follow... um.. Eventually! (patent pending)

I sent second rover to my Mun base, this time one seat, medium sized with some experiments on-board. Gah, rovers are so much fun, especially when it's middle of Mun night, and you're braking just before edge of a deep crater because you couldn't see it.

Fun!