What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 hours ago, Brownhair2 said:

Since 1.2.1 is out, Kopernicus refuses to run because it's version locked. So I've been limited to testing planes on a different save. I've been trying to work on a Titanus SSTO, but I have no idea how much Delta-V I need.

Wait, really?... crap. Well, I'll have to say goodbye to OPM for a couple of hours, days or whatever it will be. :(

As for me though I have a begun constructing modules of a base for a Kerballed Duna landing. The base will hopefully be at the edge of two biomes, so the kerbals land at the base and inflate the modules and live there for half a year. during that time they will be driving a rover to the other biome and gathering science. They will come back and when the time comes, they will board the DAV (Duna Ascent Vehicle) and head home. :)

So yeah, for those wondering, my SSTO is the crew transfer for an eventual Permanent Laythe Base. :)

12 hours ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Wait, how do I actually change the size of the wing?

With Procedural Wings, use the "J" key to change its attributes (size, shape, thickness, etc.). If that doesn't work, you might be using the wrong version - had that problem my own self just a week or so ago.

(1.1.3, 2 to go but I haven't checked for 1.2.1 compatibility yet...) I began my activities yesterday by going into Transfer Window Planner and getting information on the next Duna window - I have over 180 days remaining, plenty of time to finish beefing up my coffers and unlocking any parts I will want for the mission. I began work on an SSTO spaceplane only to realize that in my shopping spree after Juluna's mission to Minmus that I had failed to unlock Whiplashes, so those plans were tabled for the time being (I probably could've made a working SSTO with Panthers, but I really have yet to test the limits of those engines in afterburner mode). I made some tech upgrades to the Kerbal Tour Bus and launched a Kerbal Tour Bus 7d rocket with two tourists aboard to LKO for contract, a routine, successful mission that was replaced with an identical contract. Easy money and all that. The Beep-Beep 7e and Beep-Beep 7j probes were placed into their final orbital dispositions around Minmus. The 7j mission was particularly interesting since it was one of those tundra orbits and the game wouldn't hand it to me until after I got the periapsis where it wanted it to be - 6300 m. Tough to do (though not impossible) on a probe without RCS...

I picked up a contract to move the Beep-Beep 7a probe to a vastly different orbit and a six-Kerbal tourist contract to both of Kerbin's moons in exchange for the probe missions, and later that evening I went ahead and flew Bad Idea 5 on a surveying mission around Kerbin's north pole, swapping out the instrument packages for the mission prior to departure. The mission was successful, though the landing was probably the worst one I've had to date with that particular plane - came in too low and it was a wonder I didn't break anything with as much as the plane bounced coming down. That mission was replaced by a three-Kerbal tourist contract to both moons, which I used as an excuse to send up a new Superfortress 7 craft as a replacement for Necessary Evil. Launch was successful and the craft was dubbed Strange Cargo, which is now headed to Mün with Jeb and seven passengers aboard. Plan is for the craft to rendezvous with the Spamcan 7 craft still in orbit to finish the rescue contract of Jenwin from the Münar surface. I'll probably need to send another Spamcan or two that way so that some of the tourists can make excursions to the surface. Actually, at this point I'm considering putting orbital space stations, even though I have yet to get any contracts to do so - I have the holding tanks, I have processors, I have drills, I have the scanners, I have radiators, I have PB-NUKs, so there's not much keeping me from setting up remote refueling sites, especially for the Spamcans...

Also began working on a successor to the Flaming Death Trap 7 science lander, although this morning I'm reconsidering the work I did yesterday. The idea to build a craft that can store multiple instances of science experiments is sound, but putting a lab on a lander is really requiring some overkill...50 tonnes for a craft that has barely any better performance than the Death Trap...

Monster Core is Go!

There will be landers, comsats and probes added (and there will be _many_ Progress(tm) launches to fuel that stand-up guy).

But the core for future Duna/Dres missions is in orbit.

Edit:

Common term for Illegitimate offspring is changed by the Forum software to "that stand-up guy"?
Intriguing, I think I'll rename Monster Core to "That Stand-up Guy" ...

yyXYz4l.png

Edited by Curveball Anders

Hey Kerbalites.

So I left Eeloo as we all knew I would.

http://imgur.com/a/qkqjA

Stop 11. Dres.

VYaWJok.pngRju1WdL.png

As I had surmised. Going from the edge of the system down to the inner planets prove to be fast. Way too fast. So I added a tech stop on Duna prior to making my way to Eve.

Tech stop. Duna.

ZgyhJLx.png

Dres being on a different plane and my not correcting for it meant a polar orbit. I can live with that.YjUf1gC.png

Allan couldn't get out fast enough.

He as been gone from Kerbin for 31 years.

AaHKjbG.png

Next stop Eve if I can brake enough. Would be nice to avoid tech-stopping in the Kerbin SOI.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

I did my first docking and my fourth rendezvous. I loved docking, the only thing is that the translation controls for the rcs is difficult to remember. I accidentally updated to 1.2.1 and all of my mods were uncompatable. WHY!    

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

22 minutes ago, Alpha 360 said:

I did my first docking and my fourth rendezvous. I loved docking, the only thing is that the translation controls for the rcs is difficult to remember. I accidentally updated to 1.2.1 and all of my mods were uncompatable. WHY!    

Gratz! and Well you can always copy your save game folder else where and never worry about updating by accident.

@Jarin

I have a few (somewhat ambitious) missions planned for my heavy lift spaceplane platform. The one I'm most excited about right now is landing a large surface outpost on Laythe. Last night I performed a test of my intended deployment method. While I still have some wrinkles to iron out, I was pretty pleased with the results.

The Craft:

Czar Galactica Mk 3 EX

Spoiler

GUhpcEH.jpg

It has a 236.8 ton payload on it in this shot. Fully fueled with no payload it's right around 890 tons I think.

The test:

Spoiler

FWiQdvH.jpg

Upon leaving the runway, I climbed to around 3km and started my turn back toward KSC. I performed this test with the tanks fairly full, partly because I was too lazy to empty them all, and partly to see what kind of angle of attack I would need once inverted.

GE26a1p.jpg

Coming around.

dddI7Wx.jpg

Here's a shot with the craft inverted, showing the payload; 5 cupola hab modules, 1 cupola science lab. The individual modules are connected by staged docking ports, and each has its own landing legs and parachutes. There is a probe core attached to the bottom of the stack to allow me to stage through it.

TWvEshX.jpg

Deployment of the payload. I had to add extra sepatrons to the science lab to ensure it cleared the tail. This is one of the main reasons I moved the vertical stabilizers further out from the centerline in this variant.

3xZo4lC.jpg

The asymmetric thrust caused the stack to flip (I knew that this would likely be an issue, but I didn't take any measures to correct, this was a preliminary test and it was late).

OiAClIz.jpg

Waving good-bye to the Galactica. 

The test didn't go off without a hitch. First, I forgot to deploy the landing legs before separating the science lab. Since the probe core is on the bottom of the stack, I had no way of deploying them after separation. It landed intact, but not upright. Second, the tumbling stack meant that not all of the separations were as clean as they could have been, though the only part lost was one landing leg on one of the hab modules.

LaLbzFR.jpg

You can see the missing landing leg on the highest module. If you squint, you can make out the con-trail from the drop craft in the background. After staging through the stack, I switched back to it, righted the craft, closed the bay and put it on an approximately 90 degree heading.

I'm pretty happy with these initial results. I have a few ideas for making it work better. If you have any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by NoobTool

On 11/1/2016 at 4:57 AM, The Aziz said:

I sent second rover to my Mun base, this time one seat, medium sized with some experiments on-board. Gah, rovers are so much fun, especially when it's middle of Mun night, and you're braking just before edge of a deep crater because you couldn't see it.

Fun!

You should check out the Hullcam VDS Continued mod, it has a really nice night-vision cam that is just great for rovering around in the dark! It's recently been updated for v1.2!

The Optica did partially inspire the build.   :)

I tried using a Firespitter swamp motor to emulate the ducted fan, but it would overheat and start blowing parts up in just a few minutes of flight, even with a couple of small radiators.  I hope it's just bugged and will be fixed, because that version performed a lot better than the microjet.

scEdfLe.png

ql7ABnT.png

Edited by RoboRay

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

Gus and Grachel went fishing and camping in KSA's new Bumblebee light plane...

Q4Q1rRF.png

7LngKqh.png

naxPNaS.png

08QkRmF.png

5ZWZECP.png

ssfkuC8.png

2E6mfpF.png

And yes, it does fold up to fit inside a Mk3 cargo bay for delivery:

Lf2vVl8.png

3AOq2n2.png

e22zc5r.png

Hopefully you put this up for download because this is a masterpiece well to me at least since i'm terrible. Also to day I did in ksp is well this is in the forums is ask in how crazy ways kerbals survived.

Edited by Program Kerbal Space

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

Gus and Grachel went fishing and camping in KSA's new Bumblebee light plane...

Q4Q1rRF.png

7LngKqh.png

naxPNaS.png

08QkRmF.png

5ZWZECP.png

ssfkuC8.png

2E6mfpF.png

And yes, it does fold up to fit inside a Mk3 cargo bay for delivery:

Lf2vVl8.png

3AOq2n2.png

e22zc5r.png

Ermagerd that lil' thing is adorable! Can I have one? Please? Pleeaase?

Btw is SXT the only mod you're using on the plane, or are there others?

Edited by AccidentsHappen

Got a lucrative contract to test the Twin Boar in solar orbit. Fast, simple and cheap, but nope, I don't have long range comms researched yet so no talking to unmanned craft out of Kerbin SOI.

So I thought instead of another fast throw away contract, why not make it an exciting crewed experiment? Why not just fly UP until we enter solar orbit (for the first time in this career), test the engine and fall straight back down to Kerbin and see if we can brake a reentry speed record or burn a hole through our planet? And we can also do experiments in solar orbit which will help us get more fancy PARTS PARTS PARTS PARTS PARTS.

So I put the trio into a pod and we went up...

A0ic3HA.png

We did some LKO and HKO science experiments on the way up, which we forgot to do since we're thinking about the Mun all the time these days and neglecting poor ole Kerbin.

Here's Bob removing and resetting experiments. He's too busy to notice the beauty beneath...

4c3qbBW.png

And NOW IT'S TOO LATE BOB!

hKcvbeU.png

Got up to solar orbit, dropped the Twin Boar, picked up the science, and burned for an encounter with Kerbin again.

thZ0cNl.png

Hmm but that's not the way home we're looking for....

That's better...

wiryVTi.png

We dropped some garbage after taking out the garbage and storing it in our...uum...can, and then used the remaining fuel to burn straight down to Kerbin. Because I mean, it just took such a long time to get there in a straight line!

HeLhg81.png

NA6gxGj.png

The fastest reentry ever in both speed and duration disappointed in the catastrophic failure department (it barely even got through a quarter of the ablator, and I used two just in case!), but at least it made Bob and Bill pass out and the chutes didn't break when a panicked Jeb pressed the button for fear of passing out himself.

gM6z2y2.png

3cl5n0Y.png

But at least Bob got some practice in taking out stuff from behind the pod and putting it in the pod during space travel, he'll need it for my second, and (due to more unlocked parts) MUCH more true to life and horrifically inefficient Apollo mission that I'll do tomorrow.

Edited by ROXunreal

42 minutes ago, ROXunreal said:

The fastest reentry ever in both speed and duration disappointed in the catastrophic failure department (it barely even got through a quarter of the ablator, and I used two just in case!), but at least it made Bob and Bill pass out and the chutes didn't break when a panicked Jeb pressed the button for fear of passing out himself.

gM6z2y2.png

How? Just How? Whenever I do a straight down from HKO I impact the ground at about 1200m/s

So update 2 for my Career. I have updated to 1.2 - Thanks Steam, (but i'm good my mods are still working.) 

So i started today (after work) wanting to go to the Mun and do a encounter. So i built a new ship r9W7JK5.jpg

So as you can see im using the KER mod to help me do the calculations for Delta V and TWR. I watched one of quills vids where it was stated that i dont need over 1.25 TWR to take off i managed the SFB's down to about 1.72 which gave me a nice amount of lift to get me above 25k i think it was. This gave me the ability to use stage 6 my main engine to achieve orbit and then push myself out to a lunar encounter. 

With my stage 5 rocket a little terrier engine this pushed me into a nice encounter for my mission of fly by the mun, gather science and return. 

sYWtt7o.jpg

So as you can see this wasnt a perfect orbit by any means but again as shown by the Ker mod i was running out a little bit of DV. i actually let the craft do this without any adjustment from me. now using For Science was meant to get me the maximum science i could but i think it glitched due to 1.2.1 so i will have to manually do alot of the science this time. 

So after a little bit of fiddling with a maneuver node i managed to bring Valentina home safe. (with the minor loss of the science pod and goo canisters from the bottom of it. 

Long story short i walked away with 319 science to spend. I spent it on the below hoping that i can use my new parts to gain more science and my new mission Rescue Rodney Kerman from orbit... I can get to orbit but i haven't got a clue how to actually get Rodney on to my new ship and i don't have a multi person command pod just a crew cabin and MK1 command pod. :)

yWekHpE.jpg