What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Wow is this page ever image heavy.

I tried to bring 'Trama' and her companion home today, reentering their orbiting lab. It all went fine until the landing, where the lab pitched over and rolled down a hill ... my bad, poor choice of landing sites. In the end, the whole thing went kaboom, and now Trama and her companion have gone MIA. Could be a long walk back home, maybe they'll show up again someday. I must be slipping.

Other than that, I'm playing v1.2.1, and I'm getting some weird graphics glitches. Anybody else getting this?

Spoiler

48P61Yg.png

0LmuQWw.png

daOK5Zl.png

2 hours ago, parameciumkid said:

TIL: ayan4m1's fork of Kronal Vessel Viewer loads up in KSP 1.2.1... but doesn't exactly work...

13ZGFlz.png

Someone should get onto that. Is it possible to adopt a mod without the authors consent if the author is MIA?
I ask because of squads Source code policy states source MUST be made available and anything beyond that is really up to common courtesy right?
(Common courtesy being that you hand control back to the original author if they return and you haven't got express permission/blessings to adopt said mod)
I'd love to see this back in RPM.

Found a good use for the flea and a place to go for a tan tan:

E593E42490B922FA0F6B9B1DF487142A2C4F8CDD

833E15CDD5EC924E8BC260DA02451D905DBB38E0

Also got some colonists on the Mün as well as first landing on this Career save since beat. plus found out that I was echoing while streaming. Wish people mentioned it the day I first started streaming or sooner (was OBS fault):

1D93DE0AE0E8139D5552B47DE891D08E3971EC19

More news from my 1.2 career game.

A brave first attempt by kerbals to send a probe to Duna, which arrived at the red planet with plenty of fuel to enter orbit and descend, but no working means of communicating with Kerbin.

The probe was put into orbit of Duna, then work began to establish a comms network to allow the mission to continue to the planets' surface.

Duna probe heading to Kerbin orbit.

a57so4D.png

The probe in orbit of Duna... ready to proceed once contact with it is resumed.

tRo8xvZ.png

A "Whacky Bird" deep space comms (well that's the theory anyway) relay in Kerbin orbit, before being popped into orbit of Kerbol.

4k98MiR.png

Edited by purpleivan

Today I finally played KSP after a week on the Kommunity Minecraft Server. I decided to make a 3-man ship for delivering Kerbals to stations and back. I ended up with a micro-shuttle smaller @pandoras kitten's one! Though it is more of a Dreamchaser. Take a look!

vV7hRPR.png

That's the entire launcher stage minus two drop tanks. Total cost: less than 30'000:funds:The shuttle is the thing on the front. I called it the "Kettle" for no apparent reason :P

Spoiler

sUWvpXG.png

Adjusting the orbit for rendezvous with a station. That tiny white speck is Minmus!

Spoiler

xHVCjW0.png

Finally docked to the station! I made the station for a contract, its purpose is to research life support behaviour. I'm using USI-LS, that's where the greenhouses are from. The goal is to produce food from the Kerbal's waste using greenhouses. I also added two 60% recyclers, though I bet the station can support the current two crew without the recyclers.

Spoiler

rOz2wQ0.png

Here's a pic showing the life support status. The green supplies timer doesn't decrease at all, that means the station is producing its own food :D Now I want to find out if two greenhouses plus another recycler can support a third Kerbal.

Linlotte and Philmond are enjoying their stay on the station; Philmod spends his entire time in the small cupola at the bottom of the station looking at Kerbin while Linlotte tries cooking with the plants produced by the greenhouse. I'm not sure Philmod likes what she cooks, the cupola is full of cookie crumbs and snack packaging...

Edited by ZentroCatson

6 hours ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

Is it possible to adopt a mod without the authors consent if the author is MIA?
I ask because of squads Source code policy states source MUST be made available and anything beyond that is really up to common courtesy right?
(Common courtesy being that you hand control back to the original author if they return and you haven't got express permission/blessings to adopt said mod)
I'd love to see this back in RPM.

A mod posted here on the Forum is required to include a license statement.  If that license allows you to modify and redistribute the code and/or art assets, you may do so.  Check the first post in the thread for that mod to see what the license allows.

Edited by RoboRay

Decided to copy a project craft that was originally from 1.0.5 into my 1.2.1 save.  Worked like a charm.

This is a 100% reusable (except for fuel expended) spaceplane/lander combo.  I rebuilt the lander to have greater range.  The original (rev 0) is Poodle based and has some 4200 m/s dV and a starting TWR of 0.7 or so.  This one is Nerva based with a much lower starting TWR of 0.23 but over 7200 m/s.  Quite capable of getting to and returning from the surfaces of the Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Ike, Dres, Bop, Pol, and might be able to do Vall and back with careful piloting.  Not sure about that last one, I haven't checked the numbers.

Anyway, here it is redocked after a short shakedown cruise to the surface of the Mun.

s4Meda3.png

I'm calling the spaceplane the Glenn Orbiter.  The lander is Galileo (rev 1).

Here's a shot of the lander at the Mun.

CjgvKC7.png

Happy landings!

On 2016-10-29 at 10:38 AM, Tw1 said:

4Z4YUN1.pngPDhBviZ.png

Today, a new generation of Sh'tulle took its first flight. 

I'm glad to see that a dorsal/ventral drop tank arrangement is being used. :) Makes a lot more sense than the typical STS asymmetrical arrangement if you don't have plumbing and pumps to wrangle with. 

I finally finished building and testing my Universal Landing System Mk II.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/196298469934123038/3DAD3B47E4221DC5146E4F597F40875F27A2984A/

3DAD3B47E4221DC5146E4F597F40875F27A2984A

The Universal Landing System Mk II is an interplanetary transfer vehicle that doubles as a refueling and science station capable of deploying a manned lander/rover combination craft with mining and fuel production capabilities.  Two interplanetary shuttles are also included in the system for ferrying science and personnel back and forth to Kerbin.

Steam Guide for the Universal Landing System Mk II Operational Test Flight to Minmus

Edited by mdailey403
Forgot to insert image from url.

After getting 3 anomalous signals on Kerbnet (2 of which were pointing at control stations), I decided to build a plane and go investigate.

So here's my Seagull that turned out to have enough range to cross an ocean or two...

ac4af59fb5b2.png

What's that under the wing? Let's pull closer

f5fb07e722d6.png

But there is not enough space to land... Use emergency landing system!

9e224077dad1.png

The plane decided to slide down the slope a bit and the engines said it's not enough air for them to reach full throttle without moving fast, so Gregdun had to climb a bit

b677036fda19.png

So, the mountains are not high enough for it and this thing decided to float in the air... fascinating

583411750750.png

And after doing all the science... let's jump off the cliff!

13e9ca3ded92.png

and another flyby

ab9eafabb399.png

And since there still was almost half the fuel, we went for another location.

Turned out to be just this dish... named after HarvesteR

0e39aef7d32e.png

And since nobody was there to repack chutes, the landing was more conventional. And resulted in tail damage. Not that we had fuel left anyway

cf6cc676680d.png

Continued the game I started yesterday.

Transit 2 (Transit 1 but on the other side of Kerbin): Successful

Transit 3 (The first orbital communications probe. Also serves as a relay probe.): Success

S-2 Flight 2 (Val and Bill took off, set an altitude record, and attempted landing at the Eastern peninsula. Val got distracted by the tall mountains nearby, though, and crashed.): Failure

Discovery 1 (The first scientific probe. Was sent into orbit just fine, but the experiments failed to transmit.): Failure

Messenger 3 (The first attempt at a Mun flyby probe. Was sent into a good trajectory. Decoupling the probe from the second stage of the Eve A changed the trajectory causing it to crash into the Mun.): Failure

Discovery 2 (The second scientific probe. Tested the affects of atmospheric drag on an orbit.): Success

Messenger 4 (Another try at a Munar flyby. Everything was successful and it ended up in an elliptical orbit of Kerbin.): Success

Messenger 5 (First attempt at orbiting the Mun): Success

Moho C 1/Gilly T1 (First test of the Gilly spacecraft, the first manned spacecraft. Tried testing the LES on the launchpad, but the capsule failed to decouple from the booster.): Failure

Moho C 2/Gilly T2 (Same thing as Gilly T1 but successful): Success

Moho C 3/Gilly T3 (Attempt at testing the LES during launch. The booster failed to stop firing, keeping the capsule connected until it ran out of fuel.): Failure

Moho C 4/Gilly T4 (Same thing as Gilly T4 but successful): Success

Messenger 6 (Attempted two flybys of the Mun in one mission without using any course corrections then fly into interplanetary space): Success

Moho C 5/Gilly T5 (?): Failure

Moho C 6/Gilly T6 (?): Success

Moho C 7/Gilly T7 (Testing the survivability of a launch): Success

Moho C 8/Gilly T8 (Tested the retro rockets): Success

Discovery 3 (Tried to do a scientific low Munar flyby to collect data about the surface before a landing mission. Decoupling caused the trajectory to change again, causing it to crash into the Mun.): Failure

Moho A 3/Gilly T9 (First test of the actual launch booster. Tested the LES during launch.): Success

Moho A 4/Gilly T10 (Final test before the actual mission. Tested a perfect launch, but failed to reach space. A new rocket was needed for the actual manned mission.): Failure

Moho D 1/Gilly 1 (First manned space mission. A modified Moho A launched the spacecraft to 82 km and returned Jebediah Kerman to the ground.): Success

Next planned mission: Messenger 7 (Will launch a probe into interplanetary space and get picked back up by Kerbin's gravity to conduct a flyby.)

Launch of Discovery 1:

50ntCX6.png

Discovery 1 in orbit [Didn't know what the experiment storage container did. Now I do!]:

3bHVIN0.png

Messenger 6 double flyby:

442SGAQ.png

Moho C 1/Gilly T1:

Yywd9TE.png

Messenger 6:

YsgzrEL.png

3 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Turned out to be just this dish... named after HarvesteR

0e39aef7d32e.png

And since nobody was there to repack chutes, the landing was more conventional. And resulted in tail damage. Not that we had fuel left anyway

cf6cc676680d.png

Woah wait there are new anomalies? I mean, I knew there was, but I thought they were all just monoliths.

Anyway, turns out I'm going to be hurtling past Arin at 8 km/s. I need to get rid of 6 km/s. I only have 6 km/s delta-v. Oh boy >.<

Edited by Brownhair2

1 hour ago, Brownhair2 said:

Woah wait there are new anomalies? I mean, I knew there was, but I thought they were all just monoliths.

Anyway, turns out I'm going to be hurtling past Arin at 8 km/s. I need to get rid of 6 km/s. I only have 6 km/s delta-v. Oh boy >.<

They actually have a function if you turn on com networks and ground stations. I'm thinking of modding my game so they have the properties of working antenna but only work when connected to power. Hopefully it works. :D

1 hour ago, Brownhair2 said:

There are new objects which are the ground comms stations (5 new locations on Kerbin), but they can hardly be considered real anomalies (given they are actually part of the infrastructure), even if the Kerbnet sometimes picks them up in the same way. You can easily locate them just by enabling comms network display in the map view (the one I went to is called Harvester Massif). I suspected that there could be some anomalies near the dishes, but there wasn't anything else, so it looks like Kerbnet really doesn't care what kinds of objects it marks as anomalies.

As for the monolith I visited, it grew bigger since the last time I was there, but that's one of the original monolith locations

44 minutes ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

They actually have a function if you turn on com networks and ground stations. I'm thinking of modding my game so they have the properties of working antenna but only work when connected to power. Hopefully it works. :D

38 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

There are new objects which are the ground comms stations

Ohhhhh, so that's what the ground comms stations are...

38 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

As for the monolith I visited, it grew bigger since the last time I was there, but that's one of the original monolith locations

Yeah, I think I recognize that one.

----

So I have a "solution" to my problem. And by "solution" I mean "I-have't-lowered-my-intercept-speed-at-all-but-hey-at-least-I-got-a-bunch-of-flybys"
Flybys.png

Spoiler

Arin.png

Atell.png

Arin_and_Atell.png

In the mean time, the MOTHER Mk 2 is almost ready!

MOTHER_Mk2.png

The main addition is mining equipment. She has a scanner and a small probe for collecting ore. The ISRU is in the MOTHER (as opposed to the probe), which makes the probe lighter. Now's actually the perfect time, since the probe is designed to be used on low-gravity bodies, and the Vanor window is here. And you know what's orbiting Vanor? The one, the only, GILLY! And just in case the probe doesn't work I built a larger mining ship:

Mining.png

Edited by Brownhair2

I played Asteroids - KSP style. KSC trackers identified a massive Class E asteroid headed straight for Kerbin! The National Enkuirer predicted that the planet would be knocked back to the stone age. Something had to be done! My entrepid kerbals have only recently unlocked 2.5m parts and didn't have nuke engines yet. A crash research program was put into place to develop a high ISP nuclear engine and the techniques necessary to intercept and change the course of a asteroid.

Once Nukes were off the drawing board a series of test craft were built and sent out to the smaller rocks. Finally a design that comprised approx. one large orange tank of LF, a single nuke and guidance systems was created. The engineers were sure that it could handle anything up to a Class D, but without knowing the weight of the Class E there was concern it wouldn't be powerful enough.

Spoiler

JSuMQ5v.png

The test craft successfully executed a deep space rendezvous with a Class C asteroid and executed a capture maneuver. Jeb and Bob were sent up to explore the asteroid and examine the Claw firsthand. A second Class C was captured. It turned out to have these amazing glowing green veins of ore. This was put in a parking orbit for later study (Sorry the pic is so dark, but the glow is cool!)

Spoiler

EMisECR.png

The last test was concerning aerobraking. We didn't think we'd have the DV to slow the Class E down, so we needed to understand how an asteroid would behave during a aerobraking pass. The KSC selected a small Class B for the test. The target PE was 45Km above Kerbin, but the rock heated up surprisingly quickly and exploded taking its Asteroid Tug with it. 

Spoiler

jxBVxkh.png

KSC public relations would like to assure the public that nuclear engines exploding in the atmosphere should not be a cause for concern, but they do recommend wearing a light jacket and sunscreen for a few days just to be extra safe.

Finally the day had a arrived, the Class E was only weeks out from Kerbin SOI. The Asteroid Tug took off on a 230 degree course over the mountains to the Northwest and after a series of course corrections achieved an encounter and rendezvous with the massive rock. 

Spoiler

hDt5BCt.png

Now the moment of truth, The asteroid weighs in at just over 1700 metric tons, The Kerbal's best technology tug can only produce 170DV when moving so much mass. Can the Asteroid be diverted? Can the Kerbals be saved? The answer will have to wait until tomorrow because it's dinner time here and dinner waits for no giant rock :D 

Edited by tjt

Will leaving KerBent open around Kerbin and seeing after I exted time warp. I was greated with this nice little surprise:

98651849609A52FB70EBD04132B28A84E9A01B9A

Also had a rescue Craft arrive at the Mün. Did a night landing without lights. Only too me 1 extra try as I was distracted on the way down by a part that should have fallen to the surface long time ago. Since I left the Kerbals a few days there before getting the craft there.

While my rover crew on Duna kept... roving... I tweaked with my accidental spaceplane a bit.

eDFrJtv.png

I just needed a quick multi use launcher, OK?? It's not a habit or anything! I can quit anytime I want!

WDoWRdf.png

Made a more shallow ascent, spending more time on the jets. Had to rekajigger some things, without dumping the Whiplashes on the way up the COM is way off of the center of thrust, hence the Thuds. Still wanted to flip out tho.

IKfeeb4.png

Rendezvoused and rescued a random Kerbal... doing OK so far...

Now to retrieve this piece of space junk,,,

Ww253yY.png

Um... what do you mean, it won't fit? And none of you brought your KAS tools? NONE?! Not one? Why the flarp did I drag the three of you along? Oh, the contract said so. Ok. But snacks for you!

O3nO7mF.png

I'll have to come back for it. Another unremarkable but very aesthetic re-entry.

kdEiZBl.png

And speaking of aesthetic, cruising at night over the sprawling cities east of the Space Center.

QS43wsv.png

A tricky night approach to KSC. Never done this before. Completely threw off my depth perception (read: it took several tries). Just running on two Whiplashes on approach.

OR6H5AV.png

Finally, a (mostly) safe touchdown. Lost one of the jets though. I'll still call it a win. I think I'll ditch four of them on ascent next time, shlepping all that weight to orbit really cuts into the available delta V, even with the Skipper. Which is less than ideal anyway. StageRecovery will still pickup the ditched engines, but at least that way it won't be a proper SSTO anymore. I do have a reputation to protect, after all.:cool:

I assembled a new interplanetary hydrogen propelled vessel in LKO and am currently visiting Dres. Yes Dres! :D
Attaching a malemute rover to the skycrane, my first Kerbaled Dres Mission, still can`t believe it exists.

9TtzdU4.png

tGCyVdF.png

Edited by Mikki