What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Hi all,

I kinda got Jeb stuck, went down like this:

Jeb: I want to fly the new science mission around Mun

Operations: Jeb I think we should send a probe, just in case, we have no idea how much fuel this mission will take

Jeb: It will be fine, i believe in you guys

Operations: Ok.....

3 days later:

uFx6KNS.png

J8Xdf5F.png

TPtgHGZ.png

ygaixbH.png

Jeb: Urrr Guys, i have no fuel to make the last 50m/s needed to get back to Kerbin

Operations: Told you we didn't know how much was needed, you should have listened

Jeb: Send someone up to rescue me please

Operations: sorry we don't have the resources at the moment, your gonna have to hold out

All right, reached orbit around Arin and have deployed one of the Duneshifters!

Arin_Rings.png

Now I just have to aerobrake a couple of times an-- DANGIT ATELL!

Atell_plz.png

Alright then, change of plans.

Worst_Plan_e.pngWhy_am_I_doing_this.pngAtell_Surface_Landed.png

Well that went better than expected.

Atell_Flag.png

Edited by Brownhair2

48 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

@String Witch what exactly are you launching with that thing? It looks capable of sending enough material to orbit to assemble a small moon.

The fairing is empty there as a test of stability. It's being designed to put up these kinds of spacecraft, probably dry and packed up in pieces for handling at an orbital shipyard. The dimensions on the top image are actually pretty close to what I'm aiming for.

e8d27220f7.jpg

32196de26a.jpg

Turns out I'm having more fun just gunning straight for these kinds of projects in sandbox than building up toward it in science or career.

There are videos of similar missions you can find on YouTube: "Flags and Footprints on Venus in RSS" by maccollo, and "Astra: First Journey Beyond Kerbin SOI" by ZZZ.

Edited by Guest

The Constellation launch vehicle is finished after its third major revision. Payload testing revealed a tendency toward wide oscillations, so the entire upper half has been reinforced with an external strut assembly. I remember doing things like this before when I was new to the game... that was messy and didn't achieve the desired effect, but this works and I think it looks pretty nice.

c54e5edd48.png%20

Detail of second stage propulsion: 1x Emu and 7x Mainsail engines.
6dd8715c96.png

Detail of third stage using two Rhino engines. Not required in delta-v terms, but it allows me to shed the bulky stage below it for easier rendezvous, and it would be useful for transfering lighter payloads to other orbits.
2229741605.png

1.1 kiloton payload in a 150km orbit!

6b05c73c41.png

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Brownhair2 said:

You know, for once I'd like to have a plane that I don't have to pull up 80 degrees to not fall out of the sky

So it looks like I'm not landing on Arin today.

Arin has an atmosphere?

9 minutes ago, String Witch said:

Arin has an atmosphere?

Yes, albeit a somewhat thin one with no oxygen

EDIT: Actually upon closer inspection it's only slightly thicker than Duna's. Which I wish I had noticed earlier, since I already know Duna isn't good for flying planes.

Edited by Brownhair2

8 minutes ago, Brownhair2 said:

Yes, albeit a somewhat thin one with no oxygen

EDIT: Actually upon closer inspection it's only slightly thicker than Duna's. Which I wish I had noticed earlier, since I already know Duna isn't good for flying planes.

A straight wing biplane would probably serve you a lot better there than a sleek SSTO type craft, though I suppose that makes transport more of an issue.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:46 AM, tjt said:

How do they all get into orbit in the first place? Where is this secret black-ops rocket program?  :)

Was a contract and that was the ship sent up to get them. Just was not going fast enough soon enough... Still rescued them.

Currently one of my asteroid tugs is filling up my new Eve ship, the "Caelestis".

6mYrVBK.png

This will take a while, so I can take a break and write a few lines. :)

The testrun of the Caelestis will take 7 Kerbonauts and 10 Tourists (to pay for it) to Eve and Gilly. The complete front part of the ship can seperate from the nuclear propulsion unit and should be able to land on gilly, mine quite a bit of ore and rejoin with the thruster again. I haven´t tested it yet, so let´s see... launch is in 22 game days.

Earlier today the Discovery 2 arrived at Dres to fulfill 4 contracts and I already detected a nice Dresteroid to fill up the tanks again for the trip home.

JX5BV1T.png

Her yet to be named sistership underwent final assembly and is prepairing for my 2nd manned mission to Duna.

yeTOahx.png

3 Weeks ago the first Duna mission ended almost succesfully.

pqZZ9XE.png

The only problem: The base should have 2000 units of Xenon gas on board. But because I shipped the base components via Solar electric propulsion tugs, and I forgot to  forbid the usage of that one single tank, it was empty when I assembled the base. :huh: So I have to finish that contract with the second mission. Well, I could reuse my lander... no, boring. So I have spent three days building and testing a new lander. This time a little bit more Scyfi.

5SYLAzn.png

And at last, while all of this happened I continued to refine my beagle transport system for the kerbin system. I must say, I´m kinda tempted to put one on Ike as well. :)

mRomftI.png

Sorry for this image wall. I haven´t posted for a looong time. This phase of a contract playthrough is new and exiting for me. usually at this point there was a new update coming out and something went wrong with my save. But with 2.1 no issues at all. So on to new adventures. The tanks should be full, now.:)

Have fun playing folks!

Today... I kicked my own butt with yet another day of moving. :P

The last time I kerballed... which I'm fairly sure was recently but everything is kind of fuzzy right now...

Ah yes, our intrepid crew of 5 makes their way southward onto the frigid Dunian ice cap...

AlY3ulL.png

Spoiler

Meanwhile, in deep space, Dotty Kerman has been picked up by an automated rescue ship. She was supposed to have been picked up in a high Duna orbit, but her pod wandered a little too close to Ike. Once the Klaw had her, a quick consultation with MechJeb's porkchop plot revealed a long wait of over a year to even initiate a Kerbin intercept burn. On the other... circuit... the ship could get to Duna in less than 200 days. So a small burn was fired, and a little bit later...

RzYuZZW.png

The tricky bit is, the rescue ship was designed to land on Kerbin, not Duna. It's actually packing the big, inflatable heat shield there but lacks enough parachutes for a safe touchdown. Fortunately, without having to make a burn to Kerbin, there's plenty of fuel left. Re-entry is, um, nominal...

uA0wWt7.png

Also, I need that comm dish since the tiny rover antennas have been out of contact with Kerbin for quite some time, despite all the relay satellites in Duna orbit? Thanks to the Trajectories mod, the rescue ship is able to loop around the planet once and come down only 6km from the Rover.

p2IygHE.png

Dotty is still a bit weak after all that time in zero-G...

ajaLnn5.png

Once she's scraped on board, Engineer... someone-or-other... pops the dish onto the rover and the crew can catch up on all their DVR'd shows. At one frame per hour.

oUlNTpC.png

Once more off across the ice, heading south. The target is a field of seismic scanning sites just across the pole.

sfFjZq4.png

The terrain nearing 900 south rapidly becomes treacherous, testing the, er, advanced articulation mechanism.

QkmPWmO.png

Look, a baby Magic Boulder! Iddine kewt? D'awwwwww.....

oe5up8z.png

Just ahead lies the pole its self. Only a kilometer or two. This is as close as we dare get. For, um, obvious reasons.

bUTHjig.png

Behold. Duna's... ahem... South Pole. <_<

afZWaa1.png

Moving on...

48 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

afZWaa1.png

RAMP IT GO ON!!!!

But seriously I know what I'm doing when I get a settlement down on Duna.
I'm only just setting up around minimus though, that and collecting crew from orbit before docking the minimus station to the Kerbin station for crew topups and to wait for refueling. Had a bit of a "what the?" moment with my first crew rescue though. (is editing a save file to put them into a pod they can escape from cheating if you edit it back after they escape?)
uhtKAi9.png
yRCBI54.png

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

afZWaa1.png

Moving on...

How has this not gotten any attention? Why does the mohole get special treatment?

---

2 hours ago, String Witch said:

A straight wing biplane would probably serve you a lot better there than a sleek SSTO type craft, though I suppose that makes transport more of an issue.

How about a sleek SSTO biplane?

Duneshifter.png

It has ~4x the amount of lift, and weighs only slightly more than the original. The wing tips can detach to reduce drag during takeoff:

Duneshifter2.png

I haven't actually got it into orbit yet, but I'm getting close. Wish me luck!

Edited by Brownhair2

4 minutes ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

RAMP IT GO ON!!!!

Had I not (successfully. Mostly) just schlepped 28 tonnes of rover over halfway around Duna I might be tempted. :cool: But I'm close to actually finishing this long, strange trip, so I think a return trip will be in order. With @Galileo's extra-crispy terrain added on. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Had I not (successfully. Mostly) just schlepped 28 tonnes of rover over halfway around Duna I might be tempted. :cool: But I'm close to actually finishing this long, strange trip, so I think a return trip will be in order. With @Galileo's extra-crispy terrain added on. :ph34r:

Gotta love these crimes quests of passion. I guess that's part of the fun of KSP though you can set your own goals and adventures and contracts are just there to fund them.

6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

The latest version is really nice.... and a wee bit dangerous

17 minutes ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

Gotta love these crimes quests of passion. I guess that's part of the fun of KSP though you can set your own goals and adventures and contracts are just there to fund them.

If it weren't for all the "might as well" contacts I keep snagging, I'd probably have finished by now. :rolleyes: Someone needs to lock the doors to the Mission Control center.

16 minutes ago, Galileo said:

The latest version is really nice.... and a wee bit dangerous

Precisely why I won't be touching it till my parts and crew are safely off the surface. :D

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

If it weren't for all the "might as well" contacts I keep snagging, I'd probably have finished by now. :rolleyes: Someone needs to lock the doors to the Mission Control center.

Precisely why I won't be touching it till my parts and crew are safely off the surface. :D

aww c'mon... just a wee bit... nothing to be afraid of :)