What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally after debating for weeks I took action. Finally today is the day.

No i didn't get beyond Minmus. No I didn't create a space/planet base. No i certainly did not keep Jeb safe. 

I downloaded my first mod.Just one for now though KER looks really handy. 

I gazed upon Galileo's incredible texture re skin pack. It looks incredible and besides the amazing work performed by Squad in general in making the game, I am astounded at the work that Galileo has put into this re-skin seemingly by himself and as a free download. 

If anyone didn't know he has (through some sort of magic) recently created a completely new solar system it seems, which was why I am now feverishly failing at going to all the now re-skinned stock planets so I can try out that new system. 

Squad are awesome. Mod makers are awesome. Galileo is awesome. 

1 hour ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

Today, I set up a Jool Relay Network

Wow. Just wow. That's a thing of beauty. On a scale that fulfilled our secret motto of "Go big or go home" to a level I never dreamed... 

That rocket... Must. Get. That. Rocket. Much dishness.

I just completed two touristic flights this morning to get money and past the time before the transfert window for my Duna and Eve probes open in about 280 days.

As these flights are my top revenue incomes I don't even look to the objectives most of the time and even less to the tourists names, so I accepted two of them blindly... until I have to place them in the VAB I discover there was a "Nazie Kerman"... :

H35FaaP.png

As you can see with the contract window it's not a character I could have created.

Anyway we go to the Mun together, as I blindly signed the contract...

UvSytp7.png

And they all seems to enjoy their trip :

LdqzSKs.png

Honestly I feel like I was in Iron Sky during this mission, really...

20024142.jpg

But more seriously I am sure to have read in a tread some times ago that even if the Kerbals names are hazardly created the program makes sure that some "dirty names" were not possible.

2 hours ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

Brain... Can't... Nearly drool... :confused:Too epic

Deep Sky's engineering division finally came up with something akin to the Federation Runabout but with the general shape of, and can fit inside the Nero L.... The Nero S. It's been touring the system for new geographical features to publish and general screenshottery for the knowledgebase, but along the way it had to pass at Tarsiss and retrieve Jornard Kerman who had roflkoptered in on the same original mission. Little did he expect that most things, namely his wreckage...and including himself, will sink into the soupy abyss that the moon he's on has now become.

Undersea rescues are quite difficult, since Jornard had to jog up to near sea level and the Nero S shows itself defiant and insists on floating!

xKGrPEI.jpg

hBc6D1u.jpg

X71UaNl.jpg

After that the fellows went to a mountainous region and camped out, watching the sunset, sharing stories of past fails and near-fails, and munching on little somethings that were packed under all the seats for them. Then finally they tested this craft's atmospheric ascent capabilities. It could do with more batteries or more RTGs.

Molniya 1-3 (Another redo of the Molniya 1-1 mission. Launched into ~105 x 5,658 km orbit.): Success

Molniya 1-4 (A similar probe to Molniya 1-3): Success

Minmus 8 (A redo of Minmus 7. More fuel was put into the first stage and the lander. Successfully completed all of its objectives.): Success

Molniya 1-5: Success

Minmus 9 (The first Mun landing mission. Identical to Minmus 8 except that Jebediah and Mocine were actually in the lander. They planted a flag, took a surface sample, made an EVA report, and lifted back off the surface.): Success

Molniya 1-6: Success

Kerbodyne ComSat 1 (The first commercial probe. The booster failed during launch and crashed into the ocean.): Failure

Molniya 1-7: Success

Minmus 10 (The second manned Mun landing mission. Landed at the Messenger 10 landing site. Took surveys and returned home.): Success

Kerbodyne ComSat 2 (A redo of the first mission. Surprisingly, Kerbodyne supplied us another probe to launch. Launched into a 1,000 x 1,000 km orbit.): Success

Molniya 1-8 (The last Molniya 1 probe. Together, Molniya 1-3 to 1-8 made a spirograph-like layout around Kerbin. 1-8 was te most successful out of all of them because it didn't drift at all.): Success

ISPE Ion test 1 (Another commerical launch. Probe provided by ISPE. The first in-space test of ion propulsion. Designed to burn to the Mun from a 500 x 500 km orbit. It kept running out of electricity before it needed to recharge mid-burn ultimately failing to reach the Mun. The concept was proven successful, however.): Partial failure

(Not done today, though today is when the post was completed.)

I made a very well-documented Apollo replica, complete with design considerations and flight guide. It can be found in my guide thread.

I've also worked a bit more on my cubesats, and decided to restart what little has been done of my 1.2 career to account for some mod updates and a slight change of plans.

2 hours ago, Daveroski said:

Besides that name is pronounced Nay-zi

Witch is the way the majority of the Anglo-Saxon speakers are pronouncing it. Just like for Latin-based speakers it becomes "NÁ-zy" instead of the Germanic "NÁd-zy".

But to go back to the starting subject I wrote it cause when I think about what kind of mess the part Mk3 to Mk2 Adapter has resulted with its "Kurvy!" wrote on the side... everything becomes possible.

6 hours ago, Samszee said:

Beware!

Screenies another time, but... Today I began my Gilly circumnavigation. Built the "rover" from scratch with KAS at the Gilly base. And not just any rover, but a large truck with a whole lot of everything useful on such a mission.

Well... step n on my checklist. Struts. So, let's autostrut the extended parts to the cockpit. Nope, mod parts, no autostrut option on those. Must be stock. What stock do I have? Physicless science parts, no autostrut. Wow, a monopropellant tank! I believe I even brought it all the way from Kerbin here! Yay, payload autostrutted. Now the rear. Uh... nope. Maybe I'll move something stock there? Checking, checking... no. Exactly one non-physicless part: the monoprop tank. The remaining 40 or so parts are all from mods.

I had to manufacture a cubic octagonal strut and attach it to the rear bumper to autostrut it to the cockpit.

8 hours ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

Wow!  I mean to say - wow.  Totally insane but a thing of beauty none the less. :wink:

Today, after "completing"* my Mun Rover Lab journey, I went back to my career game, which I started about a week ago.  The money has been rolling in despite the atrocious level of service provided to passengers by Jeb (I'm the pilot, so all the snacks are MINE!  If you're hungry you should have brought your own!?!"). Most facilities are now level 2 with the launch pad, mission control and astronaut complex at level 3.  Today I rescued Elvis Kerbal - (so that's where he's been!) result!

I built and tested a Mun lander and will pay for it by taking a couple of tourists down to the surface even though they only want to see the Mun from orbit.  Science comes first guys and gals.

* I've been enjoying spending half an hour or so after playing in career mode, driving the Mun Rover Lab in my Science Mode game.  As the required ∆V is a fair bit higher for a landing so close to the South Pole, they have been directed to turn round and head back North.  Having seen how well the rover performed in the final stages of the trip, they will be taking a far more direct route back. Heck, they might even make it back to their original lander :wink:

Edited by Clipperride

Oh not much, just used something that may or may not go against all rules of sanity. You'll see why at the end.

unknown.png
Left is @KasperVld Kerman (OK, in-game Kasper Kerman), and right is Jebediah Kerman. Bill, Bob, Val, and Kathdia Kerman are in the shuttle cockpit.

unknown.png
Pretty shot during timewarp.

unknown.png
Just the de-orbit burn. I didn't strand anyone!

unknown.png
Just a little toasty!

unknown.png
Oh hello there, KSC!

unknown.png
Aww, undershot KSC. Still on the same continent, so that counts! 
:D

unknown.png
Uhh....

unknown.png

And it doesn't look half bad! Now what's the payload capacity of this, I flew it empty... Guess it's just as useless as the real Shuttle! :D

Edited by legoclone09

13 hours ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

:0.0:

---

New MOTHER design:

MTU_Outcast.png

Noteworthy changes:

- Replaceable heat shields.

- A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S.

- No delicate solar panels. This is powered by 3 RTGs in the nose.

- Slightly more streamlined truss structure, to help protect docked crafts.

And then I put one in orbit

MTU_Meteor.png

I'm going to be sending it to Jool with three of those landers I made the other day.

Edited by Brownhair2

Today I began tweaking something other than resources and biomes... engines! Starting with a really big one (the OPT J-60 ScreamJet) that I had an amusing idea for but almost never use. :) Its abilities don't scale with its size compared to the other two air engines from OPT so it very rarely gets a place in my craft designs. Note that the other engines on this craft are not from OPT. The aft-mounted pod pretends to be a relay device and appears to not affect CoM, CoT or aero properties. However, there's indeed a relay dish attached by it and clipped into the engine. The forward canards were moved back somewhat after these screenshots. The CoM is behind the Mk1 intake(s).

zT2dFdi.jpg

IraMAQJ.jpg  psnU3DW.jpg  PZijYwr.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

15 hours ago, Samszee said:

No i didn't get beyond Minmus. No I didn't create a space/planet base. No i certainly did not keep Jeb safe. 

I gazed upon Galileo's incredible texture re skin pack. It looks incredible and besides the amazing work performed by Squad in general in making the game, I am astounded at the work that Galileo has put into this re-skin seemingly by himself and as a free download. 

If anyone didn't know he has (through some sort of magic) recently created a completely new solar system it seems, which was why I am now feverishly failing at going to all the now re-skinned stock planets so I can try out that new system. 

Totally agree.

I don't like using mods for career. but I got KER as soon as I heard of it! Purely for dV and simmilar info. Also finally gave in and got IR cuz it looks cool (sandbox only?). Tab shows in career, but no parts.

23 hours ago, Samszee said:

Really appreciate the kind words! However,  I definitely didn't do it alone.  It was my idea,  and I created the aesthetics,  but the mod would have never gotten off the ground had it not been for @OhioBob @JadeOfMaar @Nhawks17 @Poodmund

They are a great team.  We complement each other well,  and all have contributed equally. I asked a lot of those guys and they never failed to deliver.  

Again,  thanks for the kind words. I think I can speak for all of us when I say it means a lot.  

Edited by Galileo

(1.1.3, FAR to go). Not much to report to y'all for the past couple of days. Continued active litterbox testing of the Auk VI ore-recovery plane on Wednesday. Tweaked the fuel load yet again, added some space tape to connect the interior ore containers to the far end of the cargo bay they're in, and double-checked (then doubled-up) on the rear landing gear. Finally brought a full load of ore - 4500 units, 15 tonnes, ♫ and what do you get / another day older and deeper in debt... ♫ - back to KSC 09 successfully by the end of the day. Damn thing still has a tendency to steer to the left on the ground but I did get the plane stopped kinda on the Runway, so I'm calling that a win. I'm hopeful that when I transfer the craft to 1.2.1 eventually that it'll steer straight on the ground. 

Yesterday being Thanksgiving, I was separated from my box with my main save for most of the day, not getting there until about 9:45 PM and being sent to bed about an hour later. During that time I attempted to launch a Bleepity-Bleep probe bound for Minmus aboard an Auk IV spaceplane, which would've been successful had I locked down the payload's fuel; that flight got reverted. Decided to go ahead and launch the four remaining tourists at KSC to Minmus aboard a space station core; Minmusport 7's launch was successful, and the station should arrive in sixteen days, six days after the arrival of Next Objective. The idea is to have someplace to house those tourists wanting to make surface excursions until I can get a Spamcan lander out there, and in the meantime return tourists whose contracts only involve orbits and fly-bys. Ultimately I'd like to set up another refueling operation like I've got for Mün out there, but I'll need capital to do that, of course.

Hey, anybody out there know of any tutorials regarding A) how to boat and B) how to sub? And if anybody knows about any mods that help you put landing gear on straight, I'd like to know about those too...been dealing with that particular issue ever since I first started trying to plane (I guess sometime around 0.23).

4 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Hey, anybody out there know of any tutorials regarding A) how to boat and B) how to sub? And if anybody knows about any mods that help you put landing gear on straight, I'd like to know about those too...been dealing with that particular issue ever since I first started trying to plane (I guess sometime around 0.23).

The basic thing for boating is to layer the underside of your vessel with intakes (and I suppose anything with high lift ratings) as they generate buoyancy. You can put elevons anywhere for pitch and yaw, and airbrakes are quite effective in water too. Mind how you pitch in the water. The water itself will, of course, help your speed or hinder it. Can't help you with subbing though. I don't sub... except on youtube. *badum tish!*

Have this too, btw. :P

I re-started my long-term career; this is the final iteration, since I've settled on my goals and every mod I want is as functional as I need it to be.

The thread in mission reports is here and will be updated soon with what I've done today, and here's a picture I got on the first launch to orbit (the vehicle is a Janus 1 CT-1A, launched on a Cinnabar 100 rocket):

FVBkRrr.jpg

20 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

For getting things straight, I always use the alternate mode on the Rotation Gizmo.

With the Gizmo active, hit 'F' to turn it into 'Absolute' mode (as opposed to 'Local'), and keep it locked to the incremental adjustment mode (as opposed to smooth adjustment) with the hotkey 'C'.

In Absolute mode with Incremental adjustments, the Rotation Gizmo should lock adjustments relative to the cartesian plane rather than relative to the part's collider mesh.

This should always lead you to having straight wheel/gear contact with the runway!

Cheers!

Three small satellite missions were run whilst waiting for a transfer window to Duna, as that is the next important mission to complete.  So, a satellite into a polar orbit around Kerbin...

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-24%20at%201.13.3 

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-24%20at%201.18.4

… went smoothly.  It was done without much profit and way over-engineered, but only because the science team wants to see how far the antennae can get before losing range.  The upcoming mission to Duna may have to be kerballed instead of just a probe, due to the fact that the braniacs have failed to devise a communications system that can handle those kind of distances.  We think.  We're not quite sure, hence the testing; those HG-5 thingys are all we've got at the moment.  Now that this contract has been fulfilled, we'll send the probe out beyond the SOI and see what happens to the network range.

The other two satellite contracts were for fairly standard orbits around Minmus, probably not needed for the comms network, but it couldn't hurt, and its never a bad thing to watch explodey things launch into the air.  They went up together...

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-24%20at%2012.11.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-24%20at%2012.14.

… and separation of the two satellites went very smoothly.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-24%20at%2012.38.

Both sats ended up in their designated orbits, and plenty of fuel is left in the carrier vehicle; enough so that it might be worthwhile to tap into and retrieve its fuel, once such things are possible.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-24%20at%2012.47.