What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@Halfdan I'm liking the look of your Ike Mining Operations!  One question though.  Are the rovers (Hedgehog and Badger) able to use their side docking ports to dock with the Lab section, or are the ports part of the deployment process?  I noticed in the first screen shot, they are close to the bases docking ports, but not actually attached.  I ask as I'm looking for inspiration for my own Duna/Ike mission.

26 minutes ago, Clipperride said:

@Halfdan I'm liking the look of your Ike Mining Operations!  One question though.  Are the rovers (Hedgehog and Badger) able to use their side docking ports to dock with the Lab section, or are the ports part of the deployment process?  I noticed in the first screen shot, they are close to the bases docking ports, but not actually attached.  I ask as I'm looking for inspiration for my own Duna/Ike mission.

glad you like it :)

the radial ports on top and bottom of the miners are leftovers from their attachment to the skycrane and transfer stage, they dock using their klaw

the movers on the other hand are using their docking ports to attach themselves to the base modules and as the name suggests move them into place or dock them to existing structures :)

they are close to the lab because i forgot to drive them to a parking spot :D

the movers in their transfer conficuration (carried by a nuclear propelled stage) are both docked to this part:54CD04497E4594662CF7E43D3BABE7DB7569DF2B

it makes mounting the movers on the booster easyer, and after landing and finding a suitable location for a base, it makes a handy marker for a dedicated spaceport (i use mechjeb so my ships can lock onto it for landing guidance)

Edited by Halfdan

I proved(with Hack Gravity, sorry) that Standard and Senior Docking Ports can be doubled up into a single docking port's stack, with the Standard port both centered on or off center from the center of the Senior Port. This means that theoretically, one could triple up a port with all sizes for a 'one port to rule them all'.

NxdgtF0.png\

By the way, docking with the camera aimed on the port you're docking to is fun. :wink: 

CfI6Ziz.png

WXwlMYj.png

dny4dpq.png

excrements Happens (this should read 'S-h-i-t happens)

prospector_21_shit_happens.jpg

Working on a new type of craft, the "Prospector", my professional Kerbals had a little accident on Minmus. So I ended up sending them a new Prospector so that they can continue their journey. Funny part is that their journey didn't really begin yet. The Prospectors mission is to hop from moon to moon and to low gravity planets and to scan them for resources and do some science on the way. For that matter the Prospector is equipped with all the scanning equipment and resource stuff to resupply on site. It's just not a good idea to take curves with too high speed, isn't it?

Edited by DocMoriarty

1 hour ago, LaytheDragon said:

I proved(with Hack Gravity, sorry) that Standard and Senior Docking Ports can be doubled up into a single docking port's stack, with the Standard port both centered on or off center from the center of the Senior Port. This means that theoretically, one could triple up a port with all sizes for a 'one port to rule them all'.

I've used it as an omni-port for refuelers and whatnot. "One size fits all," if you get what I mean.

---

Used my new SSTO (which I have named Zeus) to deliver one of the landers!

Zeus_Cargo.png

Lander_Docked.png

Unfortunately I ran out of fuel before I could de-orbit. So I had to send up a small refueler

Zeus_Refueled.png

Another perfect landing!

Zeus_Splashed.png

Munotrod 1 (The first rover. Tried to land it on the Mun for testing by Minmus 11. Missed the Mun by running out of electricity.): Failure

Cubesat 1 (A Kerbal Motion provided satellite. Failed to reach orbit.): Failure

Munotrod 2 (A retry of Munotrod 1): Success

Minmus 11 (Landed at Munotrod 2 and drove around for a while.): Success

Cubesat 2 (Launched into solar orbit): Success

MunBase 1 (The first MunBase. To be tested by Minmus 12): Success

MunBase 1 Com Tower (The communications system for MunBase 1. Would also serve as a deep-space relay when not in use. Failed to land.): Failure

Cubesat 3 (Launched into Kerbin orbit): Success

MunBase 1 Com Tower (Landed at MunBase 1): Success

Kerbodyne Comsat 3 (Launched into a 5725.88 km circular orbit): Success

Minmus 12 (Landed at MunBase 1. Tested it for 10 days and returned back to Kerbin. The last Mun landing mission for the Minmus program.): Success

Cubesat 4: Success

Cubesat 5: Failure

ST 3 (A space telescope to be placed into solar orbit between Eve and Kerbin.): Failure

Shuttle Test 1 (A landing test for the upcoming shuttle spacecraft. Failed to gain sufficient altitude and crashed.): Failure

Cubesat 6: Success

Cubesat 7, 8, 9, 10 (A multi-Cubesat launch. Failed to achieve orbit.): Failure

Shuttle Test 2: Failure

Cubesat 11, 12, 13, 14 (A retry of the previous mission. Successfully launched 4 Cubesats into Kerbin orbit.): Success

C7 Microsat 1 (A commercial spaceflight. Launched a tiny probe into LKO.): Success

Minmus 13 (The first mission to KerbinLab 2. Launched on KerbinLab 2's second birthday. Monitored the docking of KerbinLab 3 to KerbinLab 2.): Success

KerbinLab 3 (The second module to KerbinLab 2): Success

Winter Owl ImageSat 1 (A commercial probe from Winter Owl to image the north and south poles. Had 4 image return capsules.): Success

Cubesat 15: Success

Shuttle Test 3 (Upon landing, a back landing gear buckled and destroyed the left wing. The flight portion of the test was proven successful.): Partial success

Minmus 14 (The second mission to KerbinLab 2. Conducted research.): Success

Shuttle Test 4 (Same events as Test 3. It was realized that the completely-loaded fuel tanks were the cause of the landing problems.): Failure

Shuttle Test 5 (A completely successful landing): Success

Cubesat 16: Success

Shuttle Test 6 (The first vertial launch of the shuttle. Immediately nose-dived into the  ground. [Ugh.]): Failure

After attempting an Apollo-Saturn V launch using BDB and watching the rocket bend and tip so hard it ripped itself in half, I went back to the drawing board and created what I like to call the "Oh Dear God What Am I Doing" launcher, intended to bring a payload the size of a Komatsu dump truck into interstellar space. I started with the BDB CSM-LEM-3.75 meter shell, then put a medium 3.75 meter stock tank with a Sarnus upper stage adapter and Diocnes Diocenes that engine below it (readers who are experienced with BDB are probably seeing where this is going). Below that, the bulk of the launcher: A core stage of a medium Kerbodyne tank above a small above a large, with the x4 engine rounding it off - then a ring of four identical core stages surrounding it, with fuel feeding into the central core to top it up and let the "boosters" deplete faster.

Click launch, go to pad, rocket starts imitating a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tube Man the second the clamps retract. Revert, add autostruts, click launch, rocket still bends about but I'm tired and full of cheap fast food so I keep the launch going anyway. As expected, it's like using a Thud as a ullage motor. I very nearly make orbit with the boosters still attached, jettisoning them and carrying on. At this point I could almost certainly make it into Mun orbit (and back) with the core stage (assuming I can stand waiting ten minutes every time I want to turn the thing around), but this is a test flight so I get into a higher orbit between Kerbin and the Mun and lower my periapsis into the atmosphere when I hit apoapse, intending to use the upper stage to reorbit.

Activate engine, throttle up. Click click click. The BDB engine wants the Liquid Hydrogen its mod provides, and all I have is plain, boring Liquid Fuel. The upper stage is effectively spent upon activation, except with all the weight of a full tank. Sometimes I'm so stupid I astound myself.

I detach the CSM and do a TDM, then detach the MEM ascent stage since I have no idea how to detach the whole MEM, because what do I look like, a rocket scientist and reading the manual is for commies who don't have their flag on the moon. At least I have a craft with a working engine now. I do a bit of messing around with the MEM, then detach, then re-attach and deorbit because I forgot to do that the first time. Detach, reorbit, lower my apo at peri, then deorbit and splash down to test the heat shield. A complete mess, but the crew got home safe so I'm chalking it up as a win for the space program, now give us more federal funding so we can launch a launcher into orbit and land it on the Mun to see how far it can go on a different body.

Edited by MrLake

@Halfdan Nice work.  I've just accepted a contract to build a base on Ike.  I've almost always played Science Mode and have only just learned to love the Career aide of things.  But I'm enjoying building the things I want by looking for contracts to pay for it! :D

Mk 1 vs Mk2 aircraft

Having just unlocked the Panther Jet Engine, I built a small and simple Mk1 'plane with a single Panther and a stumpy little MkII 'plane with two Panthers.  Although the MkII was slightly faster to 400m/s the single engined MkI beat it on top speed.  Makes you realise how much extra drag you get from using the cool looking MkII parts!

8 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

Just don't attach the ports to top nodes of other ports - the port with occupied top node won't work, and if you pick 'decouple node' on it, stuff may explode.

https://kerbalx.com/sharpy/Universal-Docking--Port

BbRtX7Q.png

cMVZMys.png

Oops. :blush: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There we go. :)

7Rj0NCp.png

Now, it doesn't require ridiculous numbers of launch clamps, thanks to some small panels under each engine, which still work, and have visual aerodynamic shrouds! :D

nXhFxTe.png

Lights and the CargoBay work, too. :cool:

Lzp4laO.png

Now, it is time to get this thing's TWR above 1, and to fly it.

Edited by LaytheDragon

Currently 11:49 PM. Tomorrow is my dad's birthday. On vacation, no access to video editing software, have enough footage for five more episodes of Reusable Space Program, but nothing to edit them with. I need a probe to go to Duna.

IlSwF8a.png

It's not finished yet, and I hope to get it launched in time for my dad's birthday, but that thing has over THIRTEEN Kilometers per second of Delta V.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I was making it actually spaceworthy so I added some crew compartments and I began sending it on its way to Duna. Without realizing that the crew compartments changed "DAD" to "BAD."

AxbDlUS.png

Ehh... It's not too terribly noticeable... And it's pretty much too late to relaunch. I guess the "Duna Adventurer Delta" is now the "Beacon At Duna."

Edit2: Huh, it actually flies excellently. Nearing Duna, but I should probably go to bed seeing as it is nearly 1 AM. Two problems I've noticed: I forgot symmetry when placing the solar panel, and I forgot the antenna so these Kerbs are gonna be without comms for a year or so.

But I made it to Duna in record time thanks to the huge amount of Delta V this thing has.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

What I did in KSP today was install a bunch of mods and update everything to 1.2.1 - and start (and delete) a new career save, and start a new sandbox.  I also figured out how to launch spacecraft with both Kerbal Construction Time and KerbalKonstructs installed and still manage to launch without crashing KSP.  Now I am rebuilding my grand Interstellar spacecraft so I can fly to Cercani (Outer Planets mod).  Thanks to RoverDude's recent "downgrade" of the Orion nuclear rocket, I can't launch using the Orion drive anymore, so I have a VERY LARGE BOOSTER on the bottom.  Which is a little more realistic given that the ship is dropping nuclear bombs out the back.

and eventually I will get around to posting pics - but not tonight.

In our last *snicker* thrilling episode, four Kerbals schlepped all over Duna, became six Kerbals, now finally get to go home.

Having made it to orbit in a ship built mostly muchly sort of from bits found lying by the side of the road trail dirt they happen to be going past, first it's up to Mito Kerman once again to do her engineer thing. While the engineer I actually brought along for this sort of thing continues to lounge in the back & hog the snacks... Whatisname Kerman.

0rxIhWB.png

Spoiler

Don't need these parachutes anymore, either.

dWu9f4J.png

Finally, the Skipper that's been laying around in the dusty, freezing Dunian environment for Kerm knows how long actually manages to ignite on cue, sending our intrepid band homeward...

mN5A0iY.png

What do you mean, you have to go, Mito? Go where? You're already going somewhere. Oh. That. Well why didn't you go before we left? Just hold it. It's only a couple of hundred days. No, we're not there yet.

Still not there. 

Nope.

DO NOT make me turn this thing around!

Ahem, so, meanwhile, I flew an asteroid.

RDtfwRM.png

Kind of hard to tell, but after the probe exploderfied on entry somehow the 'roid ended up going sideways faster than it was going down, which is kind of the definition of flight. More or less. It's science, look it up!

dCp84QM.png

A little while later, the crew finally arrives in Kerbin SOI, already on course for a perfect 100km peri-kee, and, to my eternal shock, with almost exactly the fuel needed to circularize!

HPHyLIZ.png

Mito, if you have to go, go that way, we're a bit tight on d-V...

After a thoroughly uneventful capture burn, the crew is safely in a 100km orbit and can look down on their final destination...

CECpLeq.png

Hiigara...

Home...

Er, wait, wrong game...

So, the task still remains to return not only the crew but several tonnes of mostly useless space junk without it all burning to a crisp. So my accidental spaceplane is once more called into service...

eb0mAx7.png

Dumping engines for recovery. At least it's not an SSTO...

bFYUl9W.png

No rest for the weary, yet...

5uCQUeW.png

The spaceplane couples together with the Frankenkerbian monster for the final piece of rocket surgery...

3Qg9MzE.png

Mito goes back out the hatch to take stuff apart, and home there's no pieces left over this time...

kkbzpjf.png

The simplest solution is the best one, here, the whole lab/crew/radiator module is simply relieved of it's nose cone, snapped off, and popped into the cargo bay of the waiting spaceplane.

SVnicDO.png

Might as well stick the nose cone back one, no sense littering up the orbit.

IwnU8sH.png

Now to swap engines...

Kp8J0Du.png

Then it's time to return. Better get back inside, Mito. But go first, for cripe's sake!

B1kDMhV.png

A completely mostly only moderately unstable reentry later, and KSC is in sight!

G0KQETI.png

Another tricky night approach...

x165ofi.png

And... touchdown! And bounce... and touchdown!... and bounce... and touchdown!... and bounce... and... they've done it! The crew and the parts are successfully back home after more than 10 years since this whole mess began!

RkNx0qY.png

The mission yields well over 7000 in recovered science, of course not including all that was transmitted back or generated in the labs. And I have spent a truly ridiculous amount of roots bringing this all to fruition, far far less than the paltry rewards paid by the contracts, but this is the gummint, after all, so who's counting? After that √40,000 toilet seat...

ZdZDo6A.png

Still need to get rid of this old thing. I'm sure, with that nose cone just slapped on the cargo bay like that, it's still perfectly stab... oh.

tQFxryA.png

Lookie! I'm flying backwards! Sort of...

mfWVdsC.png

That'll buff out...

y1vID2y.png

And because it somehow wound up in the que, here's my anemone...

Tvd7Pgb.jpg