What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I started a new sandbox save, where I plan to role-play a career (because the stock career mode is backwards).

The space program started off with the Pigeon Program, using SRBs.

Pigeon I - success - got off the ground

Pigeon II - partial success - reached space, could not be recovered

Pigeon III - failure - did not reach space, could not be recovered

Pigeon IV - partial success - reached space, could not be recovered

Pigeon V - success - reached space, was recovered

With the conclusion of the Pigeon Program, the space program continued with the Sparrow Program, using LFO engines.

Sparrow I - success - reached space with LFO engine and in 1 stage, was recovered

Sparrow II - partial success - reached space while executing gravity turn, burned up on reentry

Sparrow III + KSat-1 - success - reached orbit, KSat-1 was deployed in orbit

Sparrow III + KSat-2 - success - reached orbit, KSat-2 was deployed in orbit, KSat-2 propulsion system tested successfully

More coming soon! :) 

Today was a day of adventure and success for the Dazian Space Program!

Our secondary crew made a succesful landing on the Muns midlands and this crew was smart enough to bring a sciencepackage to do some actual work rather than just landing.

6ljBCyE.png

After their first landing the craft had enough dV to continue their mission by doing a quick jump over to the Eastern Farside Crater to do even more science and put down more flags.

Ynyh9E4.png

After these successtories lots of research was done and many a technode was unlocked. Paving the way for spacestations! Kerbinstations core was quickly put into orbit but lost a solarpanel on the way up.

Np2V2X2.png

The station was a succes until the two kerbals up there realized they hated each other, esspecially since one of them refused to clean himself... Which led to the addition of a habmodule and some more solarpanels aswell as some radiators.

S3HzjZP.png

Afterwards a somewhat major engineeringerror was discovered when Jebs shuttle, the same that installed the habmodule, was found to have no parachutes attached leaving him stranded in orbit we're Kouston is currently trying to talk him out of doing crabimpersinations and spinning his shuttle around while laughing madly.

p28z32x.png

A rescuemission is currently being planned in parallell to the planned Minmus landingmission which was finally approved.

Some of this happened yesterday, but I forgot to post. Woops.

Second lander arrived:

Zeus_Arrived.png

Actually, you know what? I was originally going to dock the landers on each of the three docking ports. But I have a much dumber better idea:

CONGA.png

CONGA CONGA CONGA!

In all seriousness, this will help protect the landers during re-entry. Plus it lets me bring a fourth! I can go to Nolas now!

Had enough delta-v to de-orbit. And I successfully landed!

Zeus_Landed.png

You know, for such a massive plane it glides really well.

[TRANSITION]

The Kraken hates my spaceplanes.

plz.png

Reasoning:

1. A wing snapped off

2. Unbreakable joints is on

One pair of struts later and the Planey McPlaneface (I can't think of a name) is operational!

Something.png

The latest in orange-tank-to-LKO technology, she has more delta-v than the Zeus. But my favorite part is the cargo bay!

Bay1.png

Bay2.png

Bay3.png

Ok, so the rover looked awful. But that's not the point. The point is that kerbals have easy access to the cargo bay.

You can still access the bay from above..

Bay4.png

And then I used it to carry the third lander.

CONGA_CONGA.png

I also used it to bring a fourth. But when I tried to dock it, the conga line couldn't handle all of the conga, and tore itself to pieces. I guess I'm not going to Nolas. Back to the original plan. Although I might not be able to go to Nolas anyway if one of the landers gets destroyed during re-entry.

No_conga.png

I tried to leave three in the conga line, but docking to the side made the conga line tear itself to pieces anyway. So I guess there's a 3-ship stability limit on conga lines. Although 2 ships is hardly a conga line :(

Edited by Brownhair2
conga

Kronos-Demeter, my Saturn-Shuttle concept, is now available online since yesterday after a last re-work on the wings design.

Kf36dNL.png

A dedicated topic on the spacecraft page will be make in the next hours.

---

But about today I decided to test a new configuration of my all-solid light launcher Etendard. Cheaper and simpler it still cost a bunch(!) and while looking for a light satellite contract nothing like appears in the Mission Control so I took one of the tourist in the list, know under the perfect name of...

O6UCH2D.png

Paella !

6slMyNZ.png

9HH7O6k.png

Of course, for just 163 000 funds Paella can't expect a confortable and soft launch as with the STS. 6 Gs will ensure to her a nice face lifting.

WXTz9PZ.png

Kickback separation at around 700 m/s only...

u53HidB.png

Ip6yUGh.png

While the second stage place it at no more than 1200 m/s... I profite of the current inertia to light-up the third stage some seconds after the separation.

lBofFYb.png

Once the third stage dropped we just have to get around 400 m/s to place the Ap at 200 km then 197 m/s will complete the circularization. After all it's just a simple one star contract.

CiKs2Ee.png

Like for Yuri it's time for Paella to be de-orbited after just an orbit. It's not like we have the time for this.

FpmLnVF.png

WbpIVtN.png

It hasn't happen since some time now but I overshot and pretty well. With a speed of less than 6 m/s nothing can be feared for the structure integrity during the impact with water.

K4Fg2wU.png

Thank you for your contribution in our program Paella.

But now I'm hungry...

Paella.png

since the ike fuel plant is up and running, it is time to set up another around minmus in order to refuel ships returning from duna

the expedition is comprised of two heavy space tugs wich carry the two ore freighters, the modules for the surface base, and the modules for ore storage and processing

if all goes as planned the tugs will enter into minmus orbit and start landing the base modules (wich double as landers for the base crew), the land the ore freighters, and then dock with each other to become the core of the fuel station

additional ground equipment like badger class minging rovers, a spaceport marker and assembly movers were deployed beforehand

22C1BB95FB53FD7CD93517D1288E920CE8B2906B

1DB089BC98557B46E6AD6D482FC4F3566D183309

additional ground equipment like badger class minging rovers, a spaceport marker and assembly movers were deployed beforehand

285CEE309A20B562EE94CFCF9F9459DFA0AE708B

WIP, but inspired by the Michael from FootFall:

gis3eLz.png

Based on images found here:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns.php#id--Michael_Nuclear_Pulse_Battleship

May make a different one, if I can get either the RoverDude or Nyrath Pulse Drive mods working, especially if I can tweakscale them bigger, rather than tweakscaling everything else down :P.  Not to mention actual guns from BDArmory.

Fair enough.  The Nuke engines are double scale, the fuselage is huge (I think 13m across), the shuttles are down to about 10% of original, along with the SRB 'gunships', and the Heat Shield was tweaked up twice.  And a RoverDude Orion drive was about twice the radius of the engines, so nowhere near big enough.

And looking at it now, those stabilizers on the shuttles need decreasing more.

Edited by 1101

Today the Space Program ran into a major mission failure.

Hyperion I the first manned flight to Duna (With a crew of 5), in Kerbin Orbit, was launched towards Duna. it was discovered that it had a major issue with Delta V during the trip, but because of managerial oversight, it was launched anyway. the Transfer Burn was a success and we ended up in a Duna Encounter. Though the issue truly arose when we reached Duna Periapsis.

The retrograde burn on the Hyperion I drained it of all available Delta V with fuel having to be drained from the Landers Fuel Tanks and the landers were considered being ditched to alleviate the weight, this utter failure has resulted in stranding Jeb, Job, Val, Bill and Haydon Kerman in orbit. This was responded with uproar from the scientific community, the first manned interplanetary flight, and such a failure! though luckilly, the orbit was circularised and we dont have kerbals in Solar Orbit, or crashed against the surface of Duna or Ike. Now, with this  issue present, a new probe is being designed to ferry enough Delta V to save Hyperion I. It has been dubbed Theia I, It will be unmanned and essentially be an oversized tug. due to budgeting issues Hyperion I was only given 2 Docking Ports, Both are currently taken up by landers. This has resulted in Theia I being given an Asteroid Retrieval Claw.  Now the mission plan has been altered to attempt to salvage the Hyperion I mission with the massive load of incoming Delta V from Theia I. It will receive the refueling tug, conduct its mission, ditch its landers, refuel for the 2nd time and return to Kerbin Orbit. The issue now will be delivering so much fuel to Duna. currently Hyperion II will definitely have to store much more fuel, and its design process is already underway. During this event a probe named Fire VII landed on Eve. as well as the Moho probe Fire VI being found to not have enough Delta V to circularise and being lost in Solar Orbit. This will be noted and the next Moho Probe is being prepared.

Today, I made a discovery and saw something I had never seen in KSP before!  I

t's always frustrated me slightly that, when you are using a maneuvere node, you have to keep moving the mouse over the resulting orbit to find out if you've got the numbers you wanted.  

Except, of course, you don't have to do that.  When did that become a thing? Right clicking on, for example, the apoapsis of your orbit, the number remains on screen when you move the mouse away.  I kinda hope it's a new addition, otherwise I've wasted countless hours over the last year moving the cursor back and forth when I didn't need to.

Not quite, but almost.

After planting a flag atop a Mun arch, Dottie Kerman took a step back to admire her work... but then proceeded to slide off the edge. Falling, a slow fall, she 'came to' just in time for her jetpack to be activated; But, alas, not in time to go full thrust and break her fall. She hit the surface and went poof! in a cloud of dust. A later rescue mission, bringing another pilot to fly Dottie's ship back, may have had Dottie stowed away onboard for the return trip without anyone knowing. Back at the KSC, she showed up for work the next day instead of on the MIA list.

In other news:
For the time being, I cannot post any more Imgur images. It seems Imgur has blocked all email accounts from the domain I use from uploading images. Imgur claims this was done because of excessive spam coming from the domain in question. No time has been given as to how long this will last. This is as per one of the Imgur Support Reps. I personally, doubt this very highly as the domain in question has a very long outstanding track record. Anyone else with similar Imgur problems within the past two weeks, I'd be interested in hearing about.

50 minutes ago, Clipperride said:

I kinda hope it's a new addition, otherwise I've wasted countless hours over the last year moving the cursor back and forth when I didn't need to.

It is not so new, alas. I discovered it too but not before 1.0.5...

I also see that just a few peoples are aware that they can use there mouse scroll wheel to make some really small to huge changes to there maneuvers nodes. I use it all the time to make precise Ap and Pe changes to the transferring nodes.

Today I delivered additional crew and supplies to Myxine Station. More crew and additional modules are needed to deal with bottlenecks in my supply chain, but it looks like I may well be on my way to making Kerbin irrelevant except as a source of Kerbals.

3bj5b6Q.png

USF8h5M.png

I really need to redesign my modules so that they are wider, flatter and fit closer to the parent asteroid. Everything sticks out too much. No point in being post-planetary if you can't be elegant too. At least my transport vessels have a nice piscine look.

Edited by Odonian

The Mun lab arrived pleasingly close to the aiming point along with a habitation module for extra crew which didn't and required a slow careful tootle to meet up. Once the rovers arrived all the Mun assets were now together.

screenshot33_zpsp3oz33e3.png

Current roster comprises 3 scientists and 2 engineers. Whilst the 2 scientists in the lab released their tray tables from the upright and locked position the other scientist and an engineer did a quick lap of the area in the Gryfon snapping up science from 4 biomes.

screenshot32_zpsbrljnuia.png

With the data stashed and the lab crew chained to their stations the Gryfon promptly set out for the Pole They steadily worked their way north until nightfall when they lowered the pace to plodding. Existentialism set in with musings along the lines of "whats the Mun equivalent of air time?" "spacetime?" "so if we're going sideways we're bending spacetime?"  An initial burst of excitement upon reaching the Polar Crater was tempered by the realisation that the crater has the same relation to the Pole as the World Series does to the World Cup.

After picking their way down into the crater they halted for a respite and to conserve EC. The first glimmers of light saw them striking off north with the rolling terrain allowing them to unwind the taps somewhat.

screenshot40_zpso09tnjma.png

Able to make good progress spirits soared along with Kerbol. Not even a couple of 900 degree flat spins could dampen their enthusiasm as the degree readout flicked upwards and the seconds readout blurred...............

7 hours ago, Odonian said:

Today I delivered additional crew and supplies to Myxine Station. More crew and additional modules are needed to deal with bottlenecks in my supply chain, but it looks like I may well be on my way to making Kerbin irrelevant except as a source of Kerbals.

No kraken problems, or things getting unduly wobbly?

11 hours ago, LordFerret said:

In other news:
For the time being, I cannot post any more Imgur images. It seems Imgur has blocked all email accounts from the domain I use from uploading images. Imgur claims this was done because of excessive spam coming from the domain in question. No time has been given as to how long this will last. This is as per one of the Imgur Support Reps. I personally, doubt this very highly as the domain in question has a very long outstanding track record. Anyone else with similar Imgur problems within the past two weeks, I'd be interested in hearing about.

I have 2 accounts that I cannot upload to at the moment.

(1.1.3, FAR to go) On Friday I began fiddling around with @Brownhair2's buoy design, thinking I could use it to extend my existing manual ILS system for KSC's Runway into the water for the first time. The design is simple enough though the RTG does make individual buoys expensive, as I learned later in the weekend...which I'll talk about later.

Having reverted the flight the day before, I did a quick tweak of the Auk IV probe delivery spaceplane design to lock down the fuel load of its paywad in the SPH, saved it and tried again. The probe was delivered to orbit safely this time and the plane landed semi-successfully (down intact but off the Runway again). The Bleepity-Bleep 7c probe is now on its way to Minmus for contract. With a contract to establish a new outpost on Minmus, a Bates Motel 7 craft was launched sans Kerbals and was dubbed Hojo Beta upon reaching LKO; it too is now headed towards the minty moon. I plan on renaming the original Bates Motel craft Hojo Alpha later today. Strange Cargo arrived at the Munport space station with its load of three passengers and the Old Bessie 7 refueler craft was dispatched to the Piper Alpha site to get the fuel needed to refuel the craft, a precision landing operation that went relatively smoothly for once (aside from Paphe grabbing the wrong winch cable at first and running out about a meter away from the refuel port - could've sworn the winch cables were a little longer than they are). Upon Old Bessie's return to Munport, tourist Theopold was sent down to the Münar Midlands for contract aboard the Spamcan 7a lander, landing in a relatively flat area and becoming the first tourist I've sent to the Mün who didn't have to leave right away because the 'can was tipping over. With Theopold's return to Munport, he and four tourists already aboard the station were loaded into Strange Cargo, and the craft departed, leaving the station on automatic for the first time since its launch. Strange Cargo later successfully returned to LKO and an Auk II flight was dispatched to pick up some of her passengers returning to Kerbin, returning successfully. I need to dispatch an Auk III flight to refuel the craft; Minmus is next up for Strange Cargo. Meanwhile, the Bill Clinton 7a craft arrived at Minmus to pick up Billy-Bobfurt and his craft from the moon's orbit, affecting a successful rendezvous and grab, and then burned to return to Kerbin. Putting the 10 meter heat shield on the craft worked better than expected - despite having grabbed the craft off-center, I was able to keep all the vital bits safely ensconced behind the shield and returned it successfully, landing in the water about 200 klicks from KSC and netting a fair profit in the process.

I had a contract to haul a Juno engine up to a reasonably low speed and flight ceiling, so I got the Bad Idea 1 airplane out of mothballs and sent up Val to do the contract, having swapped out the plane's crappy little bush-plane gear for some small gears. Contract was completed before the plane finished ascending after takeoff, so I flew a quick holding pattern out to thirty klicks and decided to try an IVA landing, the first time I've done that...

QQxmVfR.png%20
Bad Idea 1a on final to KSC 09.

Landing was successful enough to convince me that I may want to do more IVA landings in the future. Plane touched down intact, but wanted to veer off - so once again it's time to go checking gears, I guess. I picked up three new contracts in the wake of this mission, including one to take surface readings in vicinity of the Wildcat 7. Since I've already got a contract to do the same for Piper Alpha and the two craft are parked 700 meters apart from one another, I figured I might double-up. But I also realize that I'm likely going to need a rover - so it may be time for me to bring the Hellhound 7 out of mothballs and see how well she fares in 1.1.3...

Spent the rest of my weekend learning how to boat, so I could drop those buoys in the water. I built a simple watercraft capable of dumping one buoy at a time in the water, and channeling some Vanilla Ice, I dubbed it Yeah, Buoy 7. Two buoys were dropped successfully and I later spent some time making refinements building a craft capable of hauling and dropping more buoys - the Yeah, Buoy 7a:

CFvVL46.png%20
Yeah, Buoy 7a passing the KSC 27 ten kilometer marker.

Discovered a lot about KSP boating in the process - it's kinda like a cross between learning how to rover and how to plane. The floaty bits are absolutely necessary and you need to be able to steer. Keeping your thrust in-line with your CoM is helpful, and keeping that low helps the craft stay stable in the water. Since Yeah, Buoy was sent out on a mission to do precision station keeping of buoys, being able to reverse thrust was essential, which is why I went with Whiplashes. Got this design up to 90 m/s at one point with no signs of problems - there aren't many watercraft extant capable of 175 knots...

Didn't play but for a short time yesterday; fiddled with the design again and came up with the Yeah, Buoy 7b craft - capable of deploying five buoys and costing a third of the price of the 7a. I plan on trying to alter the design to include some rudders later today, though getting them to not interfere with the operation of the craft on land is going to be tricky. I removed the RTGs favoring panels and batteries, and re-positioned them to deploy vertically instead of horizontally. I did have to lengthen the upper spine a little bit to fit in the fifth buoy, which was not really an issue.