What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

59 minutes ago, kraden said:

(Also, using pencils in space would leave graphite debris floating around for you to breathe in or get in your eyes)

I always thought because it created static which could discharge damaging sensitive electric equipment. 

Well, during a free period I landed my probe 'Rocco' on Dres. I figured I may as well land on Dres for farm some science, and find out if the tiny little lump planet was as boring as people say it is; it was. Then, my probe Hugo made its way to the Jool system, and I've been zipping around the three inner moons for the last hour or so, collecting science where I can! The views are pretty spectacular, and it's really satisfying that I built this huge rocket in career mode, and it's actually doing its job well!

I finished assembling my first Eve - mission in the current career.

eve_mission_assembly.jpg

I didn't tell my Kerbals though that the ones landing on Eve with the heavy exploration rover or the landers won't get back. At least not for many years ...

While the Eve crew took off from Kerbin orbit to refuel at Minmus and then to go to Eve another large cruiser with 18/20 passengers took off from KSC to go on a classic 3-star roundtrip (Mun, Minmus, Sun Orbit) for training and money making purposes. And going to rescue 2 Kerbals on the way. The following image shows the 20-Kerbal-Cruiser on the mun.

cruiser_15_mun.jpg

Quite crowded in the passenger cabin and even the cockpit is full.

full_passengers.jpg

I've been helping a friend learn KSP. We had a discussion about DeltaV, TWR and a couple of key mods (KER, Precise Maneuver) and then I got to assist him as he built and launched his first rockets. It's been incredibly rewarding for me to A) share what I've learned, but only in small sips as to not ruin his chance to blow things up and B) to relive some classic errors I made in my early days - namely massively overbuilding everything.

Watching his first successful minmus landing has been the highlight. He did way better than I did.

Edited by Tyko

I built myself a little Mk1 sized space plane this evening.  Powered by 2 Panthers and 1 Reliant engines.  I was quite impressed with its ability to get into a 75 km x 75 km orbit, but I was much less impressed by the Mk1 cockpits "ability" to withstand the heat of reentry.  Part of the problem was only 50 units of electricity and no way to generate more with the engines off.  

After blowing the thing to pieces (luckily they were all simulations) I finally managed to get it down by reentering backwards, letting the engines deal with the heat.  It just left me with an interesting piece of acrobatics, trying to turn round and pull out of the dive. But it landed safely so tea, snacks and medals all round.

43 minutes ago, Triop said:

Failed an SSTO test, Val saved the craft though....<_<

pYG3B7D.png

7HCwoJH.png

EDIT: On her behalf: the small frontwheel design was crap...;

PVZmSwe.png

Wow! That's a really cool craft design! Did the CoM take a while to correct, or was it good from the start?

8 minutes ago, AccidentsHappen said:

Wow! That's a really cool craft design! Did the CoM take a while to correct, or was it good from the start?

Well, it's a W.I.P.

The problem is that it started spinning when we got to space.

Haven't done a second flight yet, but I can play with the engine configuration.

To be continued ?

3 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

@Triop I'm not the best spaceplane engineer, but I think what might be best for that plane would be to tilt the Rapier until it points through the center of mass.

I know, I know, I made this vessel 30 minutes a go and all I do is answering on this forum :wacko:^_^

Btw, Yes, I do need a mod:

wb7d3pH.png

:lol:

Edited by Triop

@capi3101 oh, I've read plenty of guides. One key thing that drives me nuts is that the wings in KSP are symmetrical but are assumed to have lift without any angle of attack. This makes a proper empennage difficult to create as their airfoils are typically upside-down so they function as counter lift.  This makes it easier to use the CoM as a fulcrum and the aircraft more stable when the CoM moves due to weight loss (fuel or payload). Also, wing angle can be tweaked for stabilization but I can't seem to get it to work in KSP. I suspect the culprit behind both issues is that KSP probably uses overall aircraft lift for it's physics as opposed to individual lift surfaces. -rant over-

Some parting words from one of my instructors: "just because it's not airworthy doesn't mean it can't fly".

Hey Kerbalites.

Last time I reported my Kerbals had landed on Tylo.

http://martianarepeopletoo.imgur.com/all/

Well since then they have Landed on Vall.pAaxcyl.png

Laythe.
szOTzFn.png

Best view in the Kerbol system.
VhGss94.png

Did a gravity assist using Vall. Made the change of plane to Bop really cheap.
pBWCHb7.png

Made a stop on Bop.
VJsy452.png

After the usual ceremony.
xNzI9ag.png

Jeb was voted by the crew to be the Best-Unnatural-Satellite in the system.
nykfV7l.png

They are now orbitting Kerbin.jDXvpvZ.png

I will send a ship up to pick them up. Easier than landing that boat. Beside it never was tested in Kerbin's atmosphere. I don't think it will work.

Just shy of 11 game years.

The trip involved: Minmus, Duna, Pol, Tylo, Vall, Laythe and bop.

I don't think at this time that I will build enormous ships again. They are a pain to tune and to land.
Maybe the next big trip will involve a mass of tanks assembled in orbit and dedicated throwaway-landers.

ME

Flew an unmanned test of an experimental "aircraft" with the novel and unusual goal of never actually leaving Kerbin's atmosphere, and using "wings" to travel about. Critics decry this as a waste of funds.

02avAsG.png

AzGHXz7.png

evh86ON.png

These critics have recently gained a lot of traction in public opinion.

30 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

Flew an unmanned test of an experimental "aircraft" with the novel and unusual goal of never actually leaving Kerbin's atmosphere, and using "wings" to travel about. Critics decry this as a waste of funds.

02avAsG.png

AzGHXz7.png

evh86ON.png

These critics have recently gained a lot of traction in public opinion.

That's 6.4 scale, right? Did you move KSC?

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

That's 6.4 scale, right? Did you move KSC?

I assume you mean "not just rearranging bits of the SPH"?

This is just how it came out as installed for me. I suspect part of it may be that KSC is pinned at a certain latitude/longitude, one that makes the easternmost border close to the water at stock scale, but which is pretty far from the shoreline at 6.4x scale.

13 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

I assume you mean "not just rearranging bits of the SPH"?

This is just how it came out as installed for me. I suspect part of it may be that KSC is pinned at a certain latitude/longitude, one that makes the easternmost border close to the water at stock scale, but which is pretty far from the shoreline at 6.4x scale.

Hmm, must be a Sigma Dimensions thing. IIRC the KSC was still fairly close to the water in my 0.25 6.4x game.

If you want an extra challenge, it is possible to move KSC off the equator entirely.  :wink:

Success! Space Cathedral is docked, ready for Jebmass preparations. 

AXqVKfo.png

Sent a disposable tanker up to refuel,  so I could have another go at docking. This time, with mechjeb assistance. 

pTpIZZj.png

This time, after much patience -

F098cf7.png

It is finished. 

7TECCtk.png

KAS was used to create additional links between the two segments. 

Ckb0IKO.png

The end result is quite fragile, turns must be very slow to prevent failures in the linking  segment. Here, we repositioned it to improve solar exposure.

SBzZrQo.png

Congregation's about 50 or so kerbals. Didn't really count.  On the newer segment, each architectural "bay" is also a docking bay.

bauDLu9.png

We shall be ready to mark the coming of St. Jeb

5 hours ago, NightshineRecorralis said:

I installed a mod, then it promptly wiped my game :( I lost all of my saves, going back to .90, along with all of my crafts, too. Needless to say, I was quite mad.

Outch. :( 

Another harsh reminder to make backups. Always make backups.  

Edited by Tw1

Made some modifications to my cargo SSTO:

Mk_42_Landed.png

It has more fuel, but more importantly, it has bigger wings! Which makes it much easier to land.

I named the original version Mk 4 because I couldn't think of a name, and I named this one the Mk 42 because it's the second one. I was trying to think of a better name, but I realized I actually like the name Mk 42. So that's what I'm calling it. The Mk 42!

Then I took my new SSTO for a spin.

Luna_VTOL.png

Luna_Landed.png

Mun_Flag.png

Luna_Leaving.png

Unfortunately, delta-v margins were a bit slim. And by "a bit slim" I mean "I ran out of fuel and had to do some aggressive aerobraking". And by "aggressive aerobraking" I mean "losing one of the wing fins and going into a tumble."

Maybe if I aim my tail towards the ground it'll take the brunt of the impact...

Nailed_it.png

NAILED IT

(despite its many injuries, my spaceplane is aspiring to be a contortionist)

Edited by Brownhair2

I completed a pretty big image project today. About six months ago, I was asked to create a set of ribbons that could be used to indicate rank using the mod, Final Frontier, but never really got around to completing it. The person who sent the message request never answered my private messages, so the project remained on my to-do list for a while. Well, today, it was finished.

Not going to give all the images here, but will say this... there's four sets of officer ranks (light blue for air force, dark blue for navy, green for ground forces, and grey for space). Each "branch" has variations with the highest being General (air and ground), and admiral (navy and space). This is an example and is the Admiral rank of the space branch.

zV6kDBz.png

Each branch has a total of 11 officer ranks that are easily distinguishable in the Final Frontier listing. Anyhow, I will have the complete list of ribbons and the mod pack available tomorrow on my images thread for those who are interested.

--update--

The mod pack is now available on GitHub. In case you are interested in seeing the rest of the ranks, you can visit this post:

Edited by adsii1970