What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Though not all today...

Discovery 12 (After the discovery of a giant E-class asteroid hurtling straight for Kerbin, a small probe was built to try and take a sample and boost it away from Kerbin. Long story short- it didn't.): Failure

STS-8 (A mission to deliver the first module via shuttle to KerbinLab 2. The Orion module was docked to the aft end of the KerbinLab 3 module remotely.): Success

L2 T1 (A test mission for the newly designed lander for the Ike program. Failed to reach Kerbin orbit after running out of electricity.): Failure

Discovery 13 (To learn more about interplanetary travel, a small probe was launched towards Jool on a Dres A rocket. It used a nuclear stage to burn it into a Hohmann Transfer and will use it again for a course-correction before encountering the planet. It will use either a Laythe or Tylo encounter to help it into orbit of Jool. It carries with it a relay dish to use for future missions to the planet.): Probable success

STS-9 (A mission to deliver Truss A to KerbinLab 2. The shuttle docked with the station but the truss had no probe control to be moved remotely.): Partial failure

Laythe T1 (A test mission for the sixth generation spacecraft. It is for Kerbin orbit operations and even missions to a future Mun station with some modification. It docked to KerbinLab 2 three times and returned to Kerbin.): Success

L2 T2 (A retry of the previous test mission. Got to the Mun but fell over upon landing on a sloped surface and exploded.): Failure

Cubesat 23 (Launched into a highly elliptical Kerbin orbit): Success

ISPE ComSat 1 (An ISPE satellite to communicate with their probes): Success

MapSat (The first mapping satellite. Launched into a polar orbit and discovered an anomaly in a mountain range just south of the North Pole. Still in its mission for mapping Kerbin. A future mission to the anomaly is being set in place, probably a shuttle mission to land at it.): Success

ScanSat 1 (Sean's Cannery built this probe to search for metallic ore for their products. They graciously agreed to put on KerbNet access after our requests. The surface scanning failed [I don't know why, I've used it plenty of times before. Nothing showed up, can someone help me with this or tell me what to do?] but the KerbNet was successfully used and is currently searching for anomalies, which is being proven difficult with its limited FOV.): Partial Success

Discovery 11 was found to have went 32 days without doing its planned burn. A new burn was planned and executed to put it in Eve's plane. A list of current missions was made which includes:

• KerbinLab 2
  • Duna Orbiter 2
  • Discovery 11
  • Discovery 13
  • MapSat 1
  • ScanSat 1

Next planned missions:

MapSat 2 (A mission to map the Mun and search for anomalies)

L2 T3 (A third retry of its Mun landing test mission)

I tested a lot of rockets for use in my upcoming 6.4x scale New Horizons playthrough.

Aptur Series

Spoiler

The Aptur rockets are a series of single-stage sounding rockets. They're mainly designed for testing science equipment and gathering data from Kerbin's atmosphere.

It6hayv.jpg

Aptur I

SoBvPch.jpg

Aptur II

TGIOrth.jpg

Aptur III

NjfoRmj.jpg

Aptur IV

c4qH5CZ.jpg

Aptur IV is the largest of the four rockets and can actually reach space with a reasonably large payload.

Duna Series

Spoiler

The Duna rockets are a series of cheap 3-stage rockets. The standard variants have 3 solid stages, whilst the -B variants have a liquid third stage that is also equipped with basic command and docking modules.

FXQ7Lsr.jpg

Duna I

kZeQ7Ev.jpg

Duna IB

tPPhBDp.jpg

Duna II

REEgAT6.jpg

Duna IIB

hT0IjRA.jpg

Duna III

sg4Jjur.jpg

Duna IIIB

Sonnah I Series

Spoiler

The Sonnah I rockets are a series of primarily liquid-fueled rockets for efficiently transporting a range of low-mass payloads to orbit. They are more configurable than the Duna series rockets, but also more expensive. The Sonnah I series of rockets have 2 to 4 stages depending on configuration. The first stage is in the form of 2 to 6 radial liquid rocket boosters, which are considered an individual stage because the core ignites only when they burn out.

Variants of the Sonnah I series of rockets are denoted by a three-digit number. The first digit is the number of first stage rockets, the second digit is the number of first stage SRBs, and the third digit is the number of upper stages. A 1 as the third digit means that the vehicle has only a Serran I upper stage, whilst a 2 indicates the presence of both the Serran I and Serran II upper stages. There are also -B variants of all 3-stage and 4-stage Sonnah I rockets, the -B indicating that the Serran I final stage is replaced by a Serran IB, which can assist with docking maneuvers.

bXxrC8A.jpg

Sonnah I 400. This is the only 2-stage variant.

RTKJgpO.jpg

Sonnah I 201

YTae5eP.jpg

Sonnah I 221

yy6h80q.jpg

Sonnah I 241-B

bWyhty0.jpg

Sonnah I 261-B

3V1qrWq.jpg

Sonnah I 281-B

Xq23oUp.jpg

Sonnah I 301-B

1Xxqx2d.jpg

Sonnah I 331-B

GexaPoQ.jpg

Sonnah I 361-B

2EPimeF.jpg

Sonnah I 402-B

50BbSn3.jpg

Sonnah I 422-B

Xkst70K.jpg

Sonnah I 442-B

FBcNbth.jpg

Sonnah I 502-B

SSPaNFy.jpg

Sonnah I 602-B

y36FIbp.jpg

Stage separation on the largest Sonnah I rocket.

@adsii1970 I absolutely love the shape of that space station. It's a great design!

Although I am somewhat confused by what appears to be the presence of several orders of magnitude more monopropellant than is ever really necessary (unless it's fuel for those engines).

Edited by eloquentJane

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

I did a few things today...

I finished the basic structure for the Orbital Station Zebulan Kerman...

Deployed a portable command post...

Brought Kerny and his crew back into a high Kerbin orbit after being to Minimus...

Nice!  Am I seeing an Aurora in that last screenshot?

Well. While transmitting data with not enough electricty gen. I decided to lower my altitude to increase it as the panthers when dry give out moar electricity sadly did a nose dive and this happened after I regained controll of the probe:

1AC8C7CEB8CD24CE419E38F22B90BCE5DFDF9AD0

Most should see something missing on what would be a normal plane.... If you guess two wing. Ye would be right... Needless to say I was stillable to fly it around and complete a contract and then dis a water landing succefully:

BDD0F02D00A83F14B981FA8CA321015C58FC8B68

I had to do something I dislike in KSP today :mad:

My "house rules" allow a revert to launch/VAB or Hanger when things go wrong as well as making frequent saves under the name "rover" when driving, but I don't usually revert to a previous save unless something corrupts the file.

However, after adding the expansion to the Minmus "Hut" base and deploying the drills, I did a couple of other missions this morning, before returning to process the ore into the required liquid fuel.  I loaded up KSP again this evening and thought "That's odd. I was sure I had 80+ rep rather than 77".  I went to the tracking station and Minmus Hut was gone.  Just vanished off the face of Minmus - along with Jeb, another 3 star pilot and a 3 star engineer.  I guess the thing shook itself to pieces whilst my attention was on other things.

I had to go back to last night's save and loose out on those completed contracts!?! I spent 3 Minmus days mining and refining and worked out I was only making ~200 units of LF per day. So, this evening was spent adding a third module (imaginatively named Hut 3) with the remaing 8 full LF tanks needed to complete the contract.

That turned out to be more work than it should have been too.  The non-aerodynamic lines of the module used up way more fuel during ascent and required gaining a lot of altitude before turning to the East, so another refuelling tug was needed to top it off before heading to Minmus.  

I landed about 1.5 km away from the main base and went to drive her into position. The module just hopped about a bit and stayed put.  I was going to hit  "revert" when I realised that the way I had attached the wheels meant 2 were driving/steering forwards and 2 backwards.  Changing the motor and steering directions solved that issue.

Breaking too hard and leaving the SAS on as I got near my goal resulted in the thing doing a cartwheel and loosing 2 radiators (needed if I decide to drill again) 2 solar panels and an antenna.  

Fed up of the whole contract by now, I managed to right the thing with SAS, realised that was what caused the crash, turned it off and finally got it to dock with the other two modules.  The profit margins on a million+ root payout wasn't what I had hoped for, but at least it's finally done and we made some money in the process (and Jeb isn't dead anymore!)

Launch Summary

Original Base - Expansion Module - 3 x Refuelling tugs to get it to Minmus - Crew Ship - New expansion module - 1 x tug to get that to Minmus.

3 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

@adsii1970 I absolutely love the shape of that space station. It's a great design!

Although I am somewhat confused by what appears to be the presence of several orders of magnitude more monopropellant than is ever really necessary (unless it's fuel for those engines).

Thanks - I actually radially set four docking ports; technically, if I wanted a larger station, I could choose to dock along the Z axis of the center module. Yes, it has more monopropellant than I actually need for orbital corrections - and yes, those engines that appear at the ends of each of the modules are monopropellant engines. Before 1.2 came out, the previous station that I used - well, I could actually change the orbit attitude quite efficiently AND have enough monopropellant to top off any space vehicle running a little low. There has been times when I've run out of monopropellant during orbital maneuvers.  Granted, it's been since .24 (I think), but I still don't want to leave anyone stranded!

There are also regular LOX tanks, and these have radiators on the tops (from Lack Luster's STX mod). On the command and power module, I have a couple of fuel cells that can convert the fuel into electricity - should the solar panels fail or become damaged. Welcome to the office of redundant redundancy...! :blush:

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Nice!  Am I seeing an Aurora in that last screenshot?

Yup, it is... that is all from that one mod I told you about earlier... :D

I didn't say yesterday but Astraea set out toward Duna with at first a failed attempt to tow her behind a large tug using cables which actually wrenched the rear docking port off, and then simply on her own engines for a 40 minute burn. Today's correction burn lasted 72 minutes (she has 60k starting delta-V and makes the game run at 6fps so I'm being righteously sloppy). The ship's stable under physics warp though so I just watched a documentary. Still, I think I'm going to be looking at a 0.5 minimum Kerbin-TWR for interplanetary ships in the future.

98bed275dd.png

Unsure of exactly how long Astraea can last, I've launched a support mission with extra supplies on a simple freighter that can make a single 'hop' carrying 50t (so it can go from Kerbin to Duna, but would need to refuel to return or reach Dres/Jool). This is intended to be a common design going forward following a few refinements, now I actually got it to look right based on my imagination and pictures of conceptual ships and launched it without it falling apart. Also brought one of the recently designed aircraft, but it could only at best maintain level flight just above the surface and couldn't slow down enough to land safely. The kontainer pods have their own control, docking ports and RCS, since I don't build capital ships to do anything more precise than park within physics distance of each other.

d6d6b3db20.jpg

d69b7d0d35.jpg

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I was buzzing this 500something m tall tower a friend had made on NoNameShips server. I ended up getting a bit too close and... somehow managed to become attached to it.

2016-12-17%2013-20-12.png

2016-12-17%2013-20-28.png

Eventually the tower just went *poof* gone. I was left with a bent up, but still flyable plane, which is weird, because I don't have Kerbal Crash System installed.

2016-12-17%2013-21-48.png

Also had another incident in which I ran off and then got run over by someone's carrier. Hilarity ensued as I got launched to the bottom of the sea at insane velocities. As for him, I think he blew up

2016-12-17%2013-43-55.png

I was playing DMP on NoNameShips with my friend, and we were flying to the island airbase. I looked behind me and he duplicated. I also put my aircraft carrier out at sea and as I was circling and preparing to land, another player tried to land first. He hit the deck and took out the control tower, blowing up my carrier and sending mk4 parts out, littering the sea. Can you remember that happening? I think I was on the server at the same time as you.

2 hours ago, Clipperride said:

Breaking too hard ... doing a cartwheel and.....

Ouch. Been there, done that. That's why I put fore, aft, port and starboard mono jets on my rovers now. (Usually assigned to action keys 5, 6, 7, and 8) with the little engines all pre-staged and the throttle pre-set, they're enabled/disabled as needed. If the rover begins a cartwheel (or roll), a quick tap on/off of the appropriate counter-jet can help correct and save the rover. They also come in handy on steep grades. :)

I've been trying out my new aircraft carrier (pictures soon). The main difference between this one and my others is that this is an flying aircraft carrier. You heard right, it floats on the clouds. I've been using HL Airships, and have slowly been testing and adding more and more air envelopes to make it float. I managed to get it to, and thought it would be a good idea to land my Chinook on it and deposit some crew into the cabin. I had the lightest touch down I've ever done (1.3m/s; it's hard to control), and as the wheels touch the top, the aircraft carrier Beluga immediately rolled starboard and had the slowest crash landing I've ever seen (0.2m/s). It was painfully slow to watch from my hovering Chinook. I literally walked away, restocked on food and tea, came back and it was still 20m off the ground! I thought I needed a break, so I worked on a next gen version of my VH-6 Osprey JNR. Light Troop Carrier. I came up with the VH-8 Mosquito. It's a super quick and super cute way of dropping off 3 crew while packing a fair punch. It has two Hellfire missiles and a chain turrent on either side of the open troop bay. I sort of based it off the Hornet in Halo 3, which was by far my favourite vehicle. I messed around with it for a while, and then tried to copy the pedant Zeppelin from Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade. I sort of managed to make the rotating turrent on the back of the plane mounted on the bottom of the Zeppelin, and recreated the scene where Henry Jones Snr. Shoots off the tail of their own plane while trying to shoot the German fighters flying behind them.

Jeb JNR.: Dad, are we hit?

Jeb SNR.: More or less... I'm sorry son, they got us.

EDIT: Photos!

My B-4 Valkyrie!

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_2016-12-11_at_4.52.40_pm.png

Screen_Shot_2016-12-11_at_5.20.40_pm.png

As you can see, it has no tail...

Screen_Shot_2016-12-11_at_5.20.50_pm.png

Well, it does. It's just inverted!

Screen_Shot_2016-12-11_at_5.21.57_pm.png

As you can see, it can easily hold a rover!!

Edited by AccidentsHappen

Laythe is looking nice today.

vpqHBVT.png'

I need a ship closer to investigate, but not too close (as with the PocketSub MkII on Laythe at the moment). 

I also need to send an ore tank to the HexaHauler.

Why not do both? (extra pictures in spoilers)

Spoiler

2Thfjqm.pngJJ8XxIl.pngMdkppti.png

7GZ2Pea.png

The ore tank is let go, this time with a fuel tank to help boost it down to Minmus.

Spoiler

eLPBpL9.png

EO4VOnT.png

This state-of-the-art ion probe just so-happens to be very asymmetrical in layout. It will be bound for at least Duna, and if it has the antenna range, Laythe (the intended target).

Now, back to the ore tank, where it (almost) lands very near the HexaHauler (see spoiler for extra images on the landing).

Spoiler

VsGfSY7.pngczQkk0l.png

Spoiler

OD7zgAW.png

This part from here on I recorded, though I doubt anyone will ever see it.

The bay is opened as the ore tank prepares to enter.

GBNbc0I.png

Spoiler

Jhu5Krn.png

jhEz5km.png

It docks on one of the 6 bottom triple ports.

A7niUyU.png

Mining begins. Timewarp took many in-game years, but the tanks are now full, and it is time to download a certain RasterPropMonitor, so I can see the not-as-detailed delta vee display (to allow people on the forums to know the vacuum delta vee, of course).

7 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Ouch. Been there, done that. That's why I put fore, aft, port and starboard mono jets on my rovers now. (Usually assigned to action keys 5, 6, 7, and 8) with the little engines all pre-staged and the throttle pre-set, they're enabled/disabled as needed. If the rover begins a cartwheel (or roll), a quick tap on/off of the appropriate counter-jet can help correct and save the rover. They also come in handy on steep grades. :)

It was my sloppyist mission to date!  I overlooked parts on the original expansion and, as you say, should have put some Vernier's or similar on the third part.  I think I'm going to start making check lists for si ilar projects in the future :cool:

6 hours ago, Odonian said:

Today I finished assembling Leafcutter 8, and watched the sun set on its first day on Minmus as a fully operational base producing fertilizer, organics and supplies.

It looks like a giant space fungus!

The Mun Gryfon  continues on it's merryish way to return to the base the long way.

With training missions underway to facilitate expansion of the Minmus industrial complex it seemed a good time to address one of the items on the Gryfon rovers snag list, namely the por/nonexistant charge rate with a low Kerbol. The poor placement of resettable experiments had already been rectified on site. A couple of extending panels along with sundry utility supplies were stuffed into a container and grated onto the lander. en route to the projected landing site the crew were startled by another rogue boulder.

screenshot60_zpsu68owlme.png

Warily pressing on they caught sight of a weirder rock formation (although this one at least had the good taste to behave like a rock).

screenshot61_zpstuvhd58y.png

Checking Kerbnet through the onboard Rovemate interface showed no anomalous signal, however the signal scanner when activated promptly showed strangeness in that direction.  A memo to Probodobodyne is en route. Getting closer yielded some data and a big attaboy from Kerbin

screenshot63_zps1y5w5tvn.png

Whilst waiting for the lander they took the opportunity to claim it for Queen and Country.

screenshot66_zps3oimyj6k.png

"Nice view but still no atmosphere"

With something achieved it simply remained to grab the care package and rejig the rovers solar panels. And swap their Tavares tapes for some Gloria Gaynor.

screenshot64_zpsh1rtqhtc.png

Their next waypoint is a basin 120km to the NW. When queried as to their total distance so far covered the terse reply was "We have a space program but nobody has invented the odometer, how the Dres do we know?"