What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

10 hours ago, AccidentsHappen said:

I was playing DMP on NoNameShips with my friend, and we were flying to the island airbase. I looked behind me and he duplicated. I also put my aircraft carrier out at sea and as I was circling and preparing to land, another player tried to land first. He hit the deck and took out the control tower, blowing up my carrier and sending mk4 parts out, littering the sea. Can you remember that happening? I think I was on the server at the same time as you.

I remember plenty of exploding carriers. Don't know if any of them were yours tho. Anyways, last night I did this.

2016-12-17%2021-10-50.png

2016-12-17%2021-12-15.png

2016-12-17%2021-12-49.png

Three successful missions for today, 109 days to transfer window.

The first mission was to take the Big 4 up to the ISS for a ~60 day stay.  They'll be getting used to cramped quarters and zero G lab work.  Jeb has brought all available episodes of "Plan Kappa" to keep himself entertained while there is nothing to fly.

v8o1kx.jpg

The team launched on a 4 seat Soyuz with Val piloting for docking so they docked at the KOSMOs end of the ISS.  Val has taken over greenhouse duties since those are on "her" side of the station.

A second big Soyuz was launched with only a crew of 2 and a haul of material kits for the TMR Halo.  Agaette (E) and Litze (P) went up and docked to the TMR Halo before topping off its monoprop, supplies, and setting up the inflatable habitat.  They were unable to top off liquid fuel due to a complication with fuel pipes that will be fixed on a future mission.

ven32t.jpg

Lastly Wherner and Gene managed a successful launch of the CTV Hyperion to a 90x100 orbit.  Hyperion reached orbit with nominal loss of fuel meaning it is fully stocked for its mission.  

m7wbrs.jpg

Now all that's left is the crew selection for the missions.

TMR Halo will be crewed by a team of three who will also do a small mission to Ike before deploying the Dune Runner mobile habitat to Duna for a long term study.  CTV Hyperion will be taking a crew of 10 to Duna where the will separate into two teams.  I have not yet figured out how I'm getting the rest of my equipment to Duna, only that it will be able to land and function once there.

I radar-mapped the Earth:

Lrbhyrg.png

gS6tKlw.png

fAYFC7y.png

XbBiXdZ.png

oJJwor4.png

kLTm9wD.png

tE0cmXz.png

0GyAsZ9.png

I aligned my orbit with the dawn/dusk terminator so that I would be in continuous sunlight to power the probe.  It's winter in the northern hemisphere, so I've only got good sunlit pictures of the southern hemisphere.

Just flew 1/3 of the way around the globe to have my jet go into a flat spin in a banking turn, of which there was no recovering from. To say I'm a tad annoyed is an understatement. It would be nice if planes in this game actually flew like airplanes. I keep forgetting this is a rocket simulator, and not anything even remotely close to an airplane flight simulator.

:mad:

At 10762 meters of altitude above sea-level my new mini-aircraft entered a stall and refused to climb any higher, at 52 m/s relative to Kerbin.

From 10762 meters I entered a -75 degree dive, bottoming out at 399(400~) m/s I pulled up without breaking any parts.

Below 100 meters above sea-level I stabilized my accent/decent and reached a maximum speed of 297 m/s relative to Kerbin. 

20161218210357_1_zps9dwo1vju.jpg

Yesterday I took on a contract to rescue Alnne Kerman from the surface of Minmus.  

Fun challenge for the point I was at in the game, especially now that the remote control systems are a thing, made the challenge a little more interesting.  Previously I would have sent a standard science mission less one crew member to have room to pick up Alnne, or just sent a single-seat craft in via probe core.  But I did not want to send a full mission, and I worried that the probe might be occluded at just the wrong moment during landing and wreck the craft when its control goes limited.  So I sent out a two part solution, with a pilot in a single-seat lander can and another empty single seat lander can with a smaller engine and landing legs docked to it.  The antenna on each of them would allow the pilot to remotely guide the empty lander down to Minmus surface and then rise back up with Alnne even if she is not a pilot herself, and all of this could be done even if they were on the far side of Minmus from Kerbin.  Worst case scenario is I would have to wait on the surface for the pilot's craft to orbit back into line-of-sight before taking back off.

I used no intermediate stage, just a powerful lifting vehicle with some heavy solid fuel boosters and a Skipper on an orange tank.  It actually was powerful enough that I was halfway through my Minmus breaking maneuver before the orange tank ran out of fuel.  I transferred a little from the main engine tank so I could finish the breaking maneuver and set the craft on a course for impact with the Minmus surface before I detached the lifting vehicle.  That prevented it from drifting endlessly in Minmus orbit.  A little boost from the primary engine and we were back in stable orbit.  

Got the landing can down within a few dozen meters of Alnne's wreckage.  Thankfully Minmus is super-forgiving on landings.  Brought it back up with Alnne in it.  Docked just fine, still plenty of fuel.  We returned to Kerbin, did an aerobreaking maneuver with a breaking burn during it that meant we only needed one go-around.  Returned to stable orbit with remaining fuel, waited until daylight above KSC, then brought her in to a terminal trajectory.  Managed to do a splashdown just over the horizon from KSC.  

I finally had enough money to do the last upgrade on the research facility. It was 3.384.000 funds. Kinda challenge when you play at 60% funds. But now i can finally research the resource stuff and set up a refueling camp on Minmus for interplanetary ships.

Just a few things today.

A scientist and engineer went out in the Karibou Rover to do nothing more than attempt building the PackRat Rover. They were unsuccessful in the attempt. The wrong node was used on the ground pylon we think. We'll get the whole construction with KAS thing figured out before we go to the Mun.

The Tomcat Mk3 was "upgraded" with new diverter supersonic intakes and taken for a ride to test them out. The Tomcat flew better at higher altitude but overall was much slower reaching only Mach 1.3 at 8000 meters, less than half the speed I was getting at the same altitude with different intakes. The decision was made to end the Tomcat program with this model. It will continue to serve the program as a single seat midrange science jet. It can reach half way around Kerbin without using afterburner.

Some work was done planning the Kerbin space station Port Kerbin. Nothing was finalized. Engineers are having trouble fitting everything everyone wants without the Rockomax Clamp-o-tron Sr. docking ports. We have a ways to go before we launch anything.

I decided to try and create some images of some of my favourite crafts with a sort of “magazine” style look; if you were to flip some kind of Kerbal “space magazine”, this is what you may see, detailing all of the parts of each rocket and what they are used for. You know those kinds of space magazines you see in gas stations, train stations or libraries. Lets say if a Kerbal walked in a Kerbal book store or something, and they pick up a "Kerbal" space magazine. This was what I was going for. Just pretend you are a Kerbal going into a book store in a Kerbin city, and you pick up a space magazine, haha! :sticktongue:

Us5jK2e.png

Starting out with docking and orbits? This is what I use. Although I’m not really someone that uses mods, I just thought I decided to use the “Corvus” mod because it looks like something that doesn’t really take up a lot of memory. The spacecraft runs purely on RCS fuel.

i3RqJ5i.png

I tried replicating the real life “Saturn V” and Apollo program with this one. I showed this craft before in a few posts months earlier with a lot of screenshots. This thing is so fun to fly, and it has got to be my most favourite craft by far. Just love this craft so much because I really like the Apollo missions!

qz9CE6h.png

I also showed this craft previously months ago and I was quite surprised that people really liked this when I presented it for the first time. This craft was designed for Eve and was inspired by something I read about called the “Apollo Venus” flyby mission. I tried using the traditional “Saturn V” style rocket but the entire spacecraft was too big and the rocket would end up being way too tall if I did that. So in order to reduce the height of the rocket, I decided to add those two big “boosters” instead.

This monster of a rocket has THREE nuclear powered engines inside it. Seriously, nuclear engines are so much better for interplanetary travel; it is a must have. Do be careful, though… if this blows up on the launch pad, you now have one glowing launch pad that can break Geiger counters.

zuZFPsf.png

This is my attempt at a “Kerbalized” version of Skylab. It may not be the ISS or Mir, but if I were to start out with some kind of space station, it would be this one. I quite like it and it is so easy to launch. No busted solar panel, unlike the real Skylab.

lsZtXpT.png

I think that single image above doesn’t really show the entire station too much, so here are a few more screenshots of it.

qPnM38W.png

Side view of the station at a slightly higher angle.

IOo8tjU.png

Spacewalk near the station.

2urCAp0.png

This is the space station at the night side of Kerbin. So even if it’s already dark, the station still shines brightly like a Christmas tree (kind of).

x6wIstR.png

Now coming near the day side of the planet. This might actually end up being a good desktop background.

iudIxgO.png

Last image. It truly is a small space station with a good use. Not only can I gather science in the lab, but I can also collect from the Science Jr. and the goo containment unit, as well as being a good relay (since it has the RA-15 Relay Antenna); simplicity at its best. :)

PqTh3w6.png

After completing that awkward expansion contract and renaming then evacuating Complication Point, I did some fun contracts.  

- A Mun orbit and trip out of Kerbins SOI with tourists and a 2 star scientist in the updated, smaller and cheaper to run Kash Kow Sun Tours launcher.

- Jeb tested a couple of Juno engines at 4,000m in his little Pizza Runner. Capable of Mach 1 before it's over the water at KSC. Results showed the Juno's didn't bring much to the party.

- Val and Elvis went to Minmus to rescue another scientist and bring back an empty mid sized, 2.5m fuel tank.  I was a little lucky with that one as they came down at sea and the original Ka Klaw parachutes were just enough to slow them down.  It would have been a different story had they landed on a mountain range!

Plus, for the first time ever, I'm just two 1,000 point nodes away from a full tech tree in Career Mode. The Minmus and Mun orbital labs have more than enough experiments waiting to be processed to earn the points.

The Meteor has arrived at Jool!

First stop is Leouch:

Jool_Leouch_and_Duna.png

Landing site leaves much to be desired.

Leouch_Landed.png

Now to plant a flag, and-- wait, what's that?

Ocean.png

Now my curiosity is piqued. I may have to sacrifice one of the landings to investigate further.

...but I like Ike and Dres :(

Actually, wait a second. I have a rover!

Leouch_Rover.png

Although the trip to the nearest rift may still take a while. Not to mention the fact that I have no idea how I'd get to the bottom. But hey, I have an excuse to drive around!

Playing a Galileo's Planet Pack install.  Over the past two days, I've landed on Iota 5 times.  Once in each biome, plus going back to the first biome I landed on to get more science that I missed before due to not having the later science equipment (playing a science game).

I also put Val down on Ceti once, with plans to go back and farm the other three biomes there as well.

And today, I finally was able to rescue Jeb from his Iota Lander that never landed at Iota, and was stuck in Gael orbit for somewhere around sixty days or so.  Stupid me engineers weren't paying attention in the VAB and set up the fairing wrong and Jeb couldn't detach from it, either to land on Iota or re-enter land at Gael.

Val on Iota:

BxJHUKn.png

Coming home from Ceti with discarded parts of the ship re-entering off in the distance:

wH28HEM.png

I think I may have figured out what the ocean is. There aren't any lakes at the surface or anything; it's a hazardous ocean that fries you when you try to land in the rifts.

Still, the rover was fun.

Next up is Nolas!

Nolas.png

Maybe I need to start actively picking my landing sites.

Nolas_Surface.png

This reminds me of salt flats, with the whites and pinks... maybe I should have a taste test.

But there's no time for that! To the rover! We gotta explore that giant canyon. And probably break the rover in the process.

Nolas_Canyon.png

*sigh* I'm going to regret this so much.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wee.png

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Uh_oh.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAA.png

This is why I use quicksaves.

Let's try the other canyon. Its walls look less steep.

Nope. Crashed again.

Let's just drive to the peak of the nearest mountain and call it a day.

Nolas_Mountains_2.png

Edited by Brownhair2

I've always considered landing within sight of my Mun base "good enough" and used rovers to make up the difference. But I've had enough. I'm ready to move on and start making precision landings. This was my first concept test. Spider engines action-grouped to behave like RCS. I plan to use this method to build a new Mun biome hopper that can land on a docking port to refuel, and maybe a construction skycrane for vertical expansion of the base. Test was done in roughly Mun gravity with Alt+F12.

screenshot733.png

screenshot734.png

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

4 hours ago, Opus_723 said:

Spider engines action-grouped to behave like RCS

That's an incredibly clever idea.

@Brownhair2 Does New Horizons work in 1.2.x now, or are you still playing in 1.1? If the current release works for 1.2.x I might start playing around with it in 6.4x scale...

Edited by eloquentJane