What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

This weekend I ran a contract to extract 1,000 units of ore from Minmus and return them to Kerbin.  Built a two-seat lander for a pilot and engineer with a couple of drills and four mk1 ore tanks.  Sent it to Minmus, pulled the ore, ran out of fuel on the way back.  Oops, I must have underestimated how much mass the ore would add.  Sent a fuel drone out to klaw the driller so it could gas up and get back, but the orbit was still so eclectic that I spent most of the fuel just getting there, so I did not have enough to terminate the orbit.  So I sent another fuel drone with even more fuel after it, and that got just enough to return it to an aerobreaking orbit.  Is it just me, or does the klaw have more trouble grabbing things now?  Anyway, I kept the two fuel drones attached while I brought down the periapsis (that required some careful thrust limitation and gentle throttling to not spin due to the off-balance mass) until I could detach them so they would impact the ground and keep the orbit clear.  Just enough fuel to raise the periapsis so the aerobreak can happen without overheating or surface impact.  

The actual terminal stage of the deorbit was a little hair raising, because the ratio of breaking surface area to actual mass of the craft made the rate it slows down much worse than normal.  Fortunately I thought of that ahead of time and had a drogue chute on it for just this purpose.  Landed it in the desert, brought home a few hundred extra science despite not actually being equipped for it.  Yay!

Last night, I finished building the DEV Schiaparelli, a multi-part ship and destined for Duna. (DEV = Duna Expedition Vehicle.) It consists of a hab module, a cargo module carrying a lander, and a propulsion module in a trailing configuration. The modules were all launched on the Condor family of rockets. The hab launched on the Condor A1, while the cargo and propulsion modules launched on the Condor B1. However, the propulsion module was too big to fit in a fairing and too heavy to be launched fully fueled. As such, it was launched without the former and the latter. Luckily, it was already pretty aerodynamic mostly due to the fact that I had failed to include the larger main radiators in the original design. The radiators were later brought up on an Harrier 1B/Aether-T LKO construction tug and attached to the docking port on the front meant for the tankers to deliver the fuel.

After final assembly, the crew was sent up in an Aether LKO ferry, which will accompany them all the way to Duna as a sort of lifeboat. Two tankers were then brought up one after the other to fuel the propulsion module. They were later discarded, thought the way they fell through the atmosphere, you could have attached parachutes and recovered them. (Not that it mattered, I was playing in sandbox mode.) After waiting 95 days for the transfer window, the DEV Schiaparelli slipped the surly bonds of Kerbin, departing for Duna.

Album here until I can figure out how the heck to embed them again. (Nevermind, they're borked.)

Edited by Mrsupersonic8
album embeds borked

I moved my main save and built a new mod list for anew save in 64k universe. I've dabbled in it before and It's great fun, though the rockets do seem to be used! Also having enough dv is a pain!

dqeCX7w.jpg All this for a 5 tonne Payload!!!!!

O09huX6.jpg In the process of writing up the first few days worth of missions here

Took a 20 km trip (my longest one yet) to the less-dark dunes of the Lowlands.

Ike_Rover_2.png

Ran into the flag. Classic. Luckily the flag survived.

Oopsies.png

Takeoff!

Bye_Ike.png

And so, my tour of the Jool system is complete! Now I just need to get them back home!

(Duna? I have no clue what you're talking about)

Recently got back to KSP after a long break and it I have noticed that they have made some changes, mostly for the better it seems. I do like the new rigid attachment and auto-strut tweakables, and it also seems like they have tweaked the aerodynamics? Anyway, the changes has turned me towards more sleek and aerodynamic rockets in contrast to the quite bulky ones I did before.

I'm finally becoming friends with the fairings:

20161222020936_1_zpstcyrnuqc.jpg

20 hours ago, kball said:

One problem has already come to light - the base module landers have no reaction wheels! It's going to be interesting keeping them oriented correctly on the way down. Oof.

In the true spirit of Kerbal Engineering, the Duna-bound reaction-wheel-less landers were belatedly tested on a mission to the Mun.

They failed miserably.

Time to send some reaction wheels in chase!

1yCQ3sB.png

A bunch of Soyuz-alike launches! With Atlas chrome for extra sex appeal.

It's not actually meant to be a replica on any level but I figured I'd make something that resembles it because it's pretty and I can.

7d51358ddb.png

cd4b0e9c19.png

1318600721.png

4b1008c01a.png

6ea97781a1.png

2bc52e1d28.png

These stabilisers are a lot less helpful than they look.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, sukk741 said:

Congratulations on your graduation! I'm grading term papers But I have a plan to help two stranded Kerbals and move on to my data base.

Umm, whose? 99TheCreator's? That was nearly 4 years ago :)

3 hours ago, String Witch said:

A bunch of Soyuz-alike launches! With Atlas chrome for extra sex appeal.

It's not actually meant to be a replica on any level but I figured I'd make something that resembles it because it's pretty and I can.

7d51358ddb.png

How did you obtain these beautiful brushed metal thermoses and coffee mugs?

I sent my research station I showed a while back to Cyran...

iK3D0dD.jpg

And a little rover to Iltan! I had a lot of troubles landing it, but after a few tries and a rover backflip I managed to get it right.

YSuZHaq.jpg

Let's not forget about the satellite that scans for ore.

7LfXRLo.jpg

Edited by Elowiny

(1.1.3, FAR to go) Yesterday began with the rendezvous and docking of the Auk VII heavy passenger spaceplane at the Kerbinport space station. Due to some kind of design flaw, I could only get half of the craft's RCS thrusters to respond for lateral maneuvering on the x- and y- axes, which meant it was slow going most of the final three hundred meters to the station. But I did finish the docking maneuver, and afterwards transferred engineer Edner Kerman, scientists Juluna and Milfrod Kerman and tourists Margrid, Franbella, Dodun, Theoski and Johnton Kerman to the ferry craft Next Objective docked at the station, with pilot Genezer Kerman taking the hot seat as acting capsule commande (actual capsule commander Buremy Kerman having been left marooned at the Minmusport space station once again in order to make room for refugees). Next Objective shoved off and burned for Mün, where it will arrive in two days. Meanwhile, Next Objective's sister ship Strange Cargo entered Münar orbit with Jeb at the helm and four Kerbals in the hitchhikers - scientist Megissa and tourists Summer, Dovan and Geofberry Kerman. The Old Bessie 7 fuel tender was dispatched from the Munport space station and affected a precision landing in the vicinity of the Piper Alpha refinery on Mün, though the lander really cut it close this time, making a final landing with only 39 m/s of delta-V remaining. Pilot Valcy Kerman used the nearby rover MIRV to bridge the distance between Old Bessie and Piper Alpha with KAS winches and a refueling operation began, which had to be cut short long enough for Strange Cargo to make its rendezvous and docking maneuvers with Munport. Jeb, Megissa, Summer and Geofberry then went down for a surface excursion in the station's waiting Spamcan 7a lander, coming down a short distance from the Hojo Delta outpost (had there been room, I think I would've picked up Jenwin from Hojo Delta - he's been down there long enough in my opinion). Jeb and Megissa planted flags, then reboarded the craft and returned to Munport. The refueling operation of Old Bessie then resumed and the fuel lander returned to Munport, refueling Strange Cargo for the return trip to Kerbin. All Kerbals reboarded Strange Cargo and the craft shoved off, leaving the station on automatic once again. Strange Cargo then affected its burn for home and should arrive in just over a day. 

The Beep-Beep 7l probe's orbit was adjusted for contract (got that one nearly perfect) and the replacement contract was to put a new orbital space station around Kerbin - which gives me an excuse to launch either Dunaport or Ikeport when I've become certain the design is capable of making it to either of those two places. Since Valcy was already using MIRV, I also did a contract to gather surface samples in the vicinity of Piper Alpha. Overall that mission involved driving around at pretty unsafe speeds in and around a decent-sized crater south of the refinery. Had no problems until I was returning to Piper Alpha, but I wound up taking a hill a little too fast and setting down a little too far nose down, and wound up blowing the winch that engineer Corbas Kerman had attached to MIRV (the one that made the rover usable as a bridge for precision fueling operations). Corbas had to go detach another winch from the refinery (luckily there were still several to spare) and attach a new one to MIRV, this time putting it up a little higher. Hopefully that one will never blow - though given where I put it, the situation where the winch would blow at this point would likely also see the rover itself become complete unusable...

There's 46 days to the Duna window; I have a lot to do between now and then...

9 minutes ago, Leafbaron said:

where did you get these rover parts!?!

4 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Pathfinder by @Angel-125, I think. :) 

That's Malemute by Roverdude. Pathfinder is a base mod, and its companion rover mod Buffalo is somewhat similar, but different.

Part One The Vexatious Astroid

As the class A astroid I have been tracking for a while was getting close to Kerbins SOI, the upgraded Astroid Hunter was launched with its shiney new total control probe core.  A few launches were declared simulations as KSC struggled a little getting the correct launch angle.

Once on the way the Hunter executed a couple of small correctional burns and met Astroid PUG 223 at the edge of Kerbins SOI. Capture went well and a burn was planned at Kerbin periapsis to bring the rock into orbit.  Fast forward and the probe core is as dead as a dodoo.  The solar panels had been obscured by the Astroid and the batteries had gone flat.  The stunning real simulation ended with design modifications to the Hunter.

Next launch and capture went well although it took more small burns to match orbits.  We approached from the sunlit side and again set a node for periapsis.  I had 2 green ticks for, capturing an undisturbed astroid and for keeping steady for 10 seconds.  As soon as I popped out of time warp the "undisturbed astroid" tick vanished. Grrr.  Game cheating = revert and out of time!

Part Two The Dilemma 

I've achieved my goals when I started this save.  My first career mode game, an un-crewed trip to Duna in Year 1 and a complete tech tree.  On one hand I fancy starting again with the more "role playing" approach, but then again, instillations like Complication Point has my blood sweat and tears ingrained in their structure.  What to do? What to do. . . ?

9 hours ago, Sharpy said:

How did you obtain these beautiful brushed metal thermoses and coffee mugs?

It's just one of the stock textures that comes with procedural parts. I had to keep the rocket within a certain size boundary to make sure the textures lined up though (as you go bigger/smaller the textures are tiled).

3 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

where did you get these rover parts!?!

As everyone said, but the stabilisers are from MKS.