What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

MapSat 2 (A mapping satellite that was to be put in a polar orbit of the Mun. It has found 3 anomalies so far, including a Mun arch investigated by Discovery 14.): Success

L2 T3 (The third and final test of the L2 lander for the Ike program. Had a troublesome landing but ultimately stood safely on a slight incline. Upon liftoff of the Mun, the ascent stage decoupled but the landing stage engine stayed on, causing the lander to have to wait for the landing stage to run out of fuel. It did give it a good boost into orbit, but the ascent stage could make it well into orbit by itself.): Success

Discovery 14 (Upon discovery of 3 anomalies on the Mun, a low-budget mission was sent to investigate one of them near the equator. MapSat 2 was only about 1 or 2 kilometers off from mapping the actual location of the anomaly which turned out to be a Mun arch. Upon the landing attempt, two solar panels and the main com dish broke off, but all was still well.): Success

L2-1 (The first actual mission of the L2. Launched into orbit to be docked with Ike 2. Upon landing, the rover ran out of fuel in the last 25 meters, crashed, tilted over, and exploded killing the 3 crewmembers.): Failure

Ike 2 (To dock to L2-1 and land on the Mun. Upon reaching orbit, the oxidizer system malfunctioned leaving the engine unusable. The crew used 2 orbits to use the RCS thrusters to deorbit and land safely.): Partial Failure

Ike 2b (A retry of Ike 2. Reached orbit safely, docked to L2-1, and used the second stage of L2-1's Dres A rocket to boost it to the Mun. Ike 2b had to use its own fuel to continue the burn, using up half of its fuel. It eventually reached the Mun where it lowerd the periapsis from 303 km to about 120 then completed orbital insertion, leaving only a fourth of its fuel left. It was planned to use the excess fuel from L2-1's ascent stage to boost it home and use the remaining fuel to make any necessary course corrections. After the landing disaster, the spacecraft was piloted remotely from Kerbin to try to return it to reuse the capsule but it ran out of fuel lowering the periapsis to make it to Kerbin.): Failure

ISPE Ion Test 3 (A test of ISPE's "AFTER" ion engine. The payload decoupled prematurely and failed to reach orbit.): Failure

Next flight: L2a T1 (A test of a redesigned L2 where it replaces the crew cabin, gives the descent stage more fuel, and make the ascent stage's fuel accessible for transfering to the Ike spacecraft.)

YhmhmhK.png

L2 T3 ascending from the Munar surface and into orbit.

RF0njaY.png

Discovery 14 landing near the Mun arch.

qKZQl4q.png

Ike 2a below its target

Since my last career got corrupted and self deleted due to mod weirdness, I decided to make a new career using Artenis Kerbol. For my first flight vehicle, I decided to make a basic thing which would lift my kerbal up to 1km and back again for some crew and goo science.

This thing:

MRElsvo.png

It's powered by two pulse detonation fuel cells from the Retro Future mod, which I didn't know were so efficient, at around 5000 isp.

It ended tossing Jeb 60km up into the sky. I think the two air ducts helped with that though, since they suck a lot of air in.

Needless to say, I had a huge fuel reserve and could've kept on flying for much longer, but I dropped back to the KSC and landed on the roof of the VAB, because helipads.

tfllhSy.png

It worked!

Sort of. I slipped my fingers and had to open the chutes just before impact.

LFR14ri.png

Jeb likes the view though!

JDZRYFR.png

EDIT: By doubling the engines, I managed to get into space with it! YXtXpGF.png

Edited by Pine

Not much happened today. A simulated model of the proposed Port Kerbin Space Station was constructed in the VAB. It was very heavy (read 350 tons) and very long and spindley. Boosters were attached and the uncrewed model was launched.  It flew very poorly. It made it to space in our "simulation" but could not properly hold its trajectory long enough to affect a good burn to achieve orbit. The simulation was ended and everyone went back to the drawing board.

A new plan was made to build the station in number of smaller launches. We hope that a station built this way will fulfill the contract. 

Also, three new hires were acquired. A scientist, a quartermaster, and a mechanic. 

Not entirely sure about the new kolonization crew identifiers. I hope they will positively affect the game.

I finished the Heisenberg 2.0 release and posted it to Spacedock. In honor of finishing up the parts pack, I built a rocket-powered airship to see what happens when the craft goes sub orbital:

Liftoff!

GttJ6LG.png

Coasting upward. As expected, static lift isn't being generated.

7RBUOGz.png

In the 2.0 release I upped the airship's heat tolerance (but kept the crash tolerance low) so that it could survive atmospheric entry. You never know when you want to take one of these things to Duna or Eve or Laythe...

T5zJuPv.png

Hooligan Labs comes through, and generates static lift once again. The airship is safely floating above Kerbin after her trip into space.

WfKN6L9.png

Had a nice little bug in game:

C476068FAAADC52342743D4742246B3D37DD96A8

Yes folks. That says surface of the sun...

889D3B557B549FF6C2C93E9270390E7C8C304B3A

And here I thought I was supposed to burn up well before hand.... Thing is. The craft should have been destroyed at Kerbin as it ws supposed to have crashed into it. But, in other news. You can have oddly shaped craft that are pointed that fly decently:

E75A5C71922A8C323E446B5D3773C280000582B2

Many thanks to the modders making stuff available in 1.2.2...

Jeb and bill could not wait to fly the new training helicopter out of the box...they said to look for the pieces of red metal tubing if they don't land safely...

screenshot69.png

Management opted for the science explorer model from the dealer....

screenshot65.png

After lots of OpenRC-hackery, xorg.conf dead-chicken-waving, and doing an unsupported in-place system profile change on my new Gentoo box, I managed to get KSP running.
My first* flight in ~6 months was a modified Aeris 4A (2x RAPIER + 1x LV-909) to LKO without any mods whatsoever.

Edit: Now let the modding commence!

* (That Windows VM doesn't count; it wasn't on bare metal and didn't use my mod-management scripts!)

Edited by Fail-Man 3D
s/configuring/hackery/

8 hours ago, mesocyclone said:

Expedition 01 to the Orbital Station VERNARA has docked successfully (After some trial and error, of course :rolleyes:) aboard the Mk2 Shuttle Aeris.

I love the look/shape of what i guess is your fuel depot and hope you don't mind that i will steal and enlarge it for my next station :wink:

Edited by elpollodiablo

L2a T1 (The first test of the modified L2 lander. Added more fuel to the descent stage, tweaked the ascent stage, and added more fuel to the second stage of the Dres A. Landed and boosted back into orbit successfully. It's much easier to land on inclined surfaces now.): Success

Winter Owl ComSAt 1 (A small probe to communicate with WinterOwl's probes.): Success

Laythe 1 (The first manned mission of the Laythe spacecraft. Launched three crewmembers to KerbinLab 2 where they are staying for 41 days.)

C7 Microsat 4 (Launched into an inclined elliptical orbit): Success

Next planned mission: STS-9b (A retry of the Truss A deployment)

SscOiaA.png

L2a ascent stage

ChKRnNH.png

Winter Owl ComSat 1

3ZkcPyq.png

Irca's view of the Mun through KerbinLab 2.

ZBi0DZx.png

Microsat 4 and a sunrise coming over the North Pole.

14 hours ago, Big Kerbie said:

...A new plan was made to build the station in number of smaller launches. We hope that a station built this way will fulfill the contract. 

Yep!  I had to resort to that method when I added the vast amount of Liquid Fuel a contract required for no good reason (I wonder if they're drinking the stuff?)

Today:

I started a new game!  I always restart most games multiple times and KSP is well suited to it.  Another career mode game with the standard settings for things like money, science, heating etc but with indestructible buildings (after the unmentionable incident in an previous play through) and action groups always allowed because it saves aiming the camera at fiddley bits.  I'm taking a more role play approach this time :wink:

@Angel-125 I love the look of this - one thing that would make it even more useable for me are transition adapters. Square to 2.5m etc. Parts 1, 10, and 11 would make for sweet cabins on certain rocket designs.

Beautiful promo piece! What program did you use to get that looking so?

Edited by Khorso
Formatting for viewing ease.

Was deorbiting and landing another cargo craft. Mission was to deliver comms upgrades to OSS3 on LKO. Everything was Go until I noticed a pink square brackets racing towards me. Some junk capsule from Kerbin rescue missions. Losing a used cargo craft is not a big deal, but it could be crew craft in some situation...

Closest distance was ... 800m ! So it entered physics range, whizzed by really fast and zoomed out of sight.

Junk was used to be only annoying, now it is dangerous.

TODO: Send an ion powered craft to remove most of the junk from 100x100 and 75x75.

1 hour ago, Khorso said:

@Angel-125 I love the look of this - one thing that would make it even more useable for me are transition adapters. Square to 2.5m etc. Parts 1, 10, and 11 would make for sweet cabins on certain rocket designs.

Beautiful promo piece! What program did you use to get that looking so?

Thanks! I do have some adapters planned, just didn't have enough time to get them into the 2.0 release. :) I do all my 3D modeling in 3DS MAX, and then texturing and promos using Photoshop. I render the 3D models in MAX, then in Photoshop I do all the backgrounds and text.

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I finished the Heisenberg 2.0 release and posted it to Spacedock. In honor of finishing up the parts pack, I built a rocket-powered airship to see what happens when the craft goes sub orbital:

Liftoff!

GttJ6LG.png

Coasting upward. As expected, static lift isn't being generated.

7RBUOGz.png

In the 2.0 release I upped the airship's heat tolerance (but kept the crash tolerance low) so that it could survive atmospheric entry. You never know when you want to take one of these things to Duna or Eve or Laythe...

T5zJuPv.png

Hooligan Labs comes through, and generates static lift once again. The airship is safely floating above Kerbin after her trip into space.

WfKN6L9.png

last time i saw zeppelins in space the mondführer declared the meteorblitzkrieg on earth (in iron sky) :D

but zeppelins seem like a good solution for aircraft on duna do these work on other planets too?

10 minutes ago, Halfdan said:

last time i saw zeppelins in space the mondführer declared the meteorblitzkrieg on earth (in iron sky) :D

but zeppelins seem like a good solution for aircraft on duna do these work on other planets too?

I believe the Hooligan Labs Airships plugin will let you fly airships on any planet with an atmosphere.