What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

3 hours ago, Halfdan said:

but zeppelins seem like a good solution for aircraft on duna do these work on other planets too?

They won't make a very good solution for Duna as its ground level is equivalent to about 18km on Kerbin, and the zeppelins can't fly much higher than that with any considerable payload.

But they could make excellent solution for Eve and a decent one for Laythe.

I'm also veeeeery seriously considering an aerial Jool base.

Designed a four-Kerbonaut manned Duna mission in career mode. I've thoroughly double and triple-checked the entire rocket and even performed a simulation launch into LKO, it went very smoothly. It will set me back about $190,000, but that's not a problem because I'm swimming in money ($5.5 million plus) in my current career save. Two Kerbonauts will land on the surface and return. A science lab will remain in orbit to receive the science the lander will bring back -- I'll plan on getting samples from the upper and lower atmospheres, as well as the surface. Both the science lab and the lander have extra parachutes on them so they can land on Kerbin safely. I fully intend to recover the nuclear engine I'm using for a transfer stage -- that thing costs $10,000 (5% of my total rocket cost in just that one part), so it's pretty valuable.

Trouble is, Duna is in 125% the wrong location. It'll be months before the next transfer window opens.

47 minutes ago, Triop said:

Jeb needs rescue...

bqo84pb.png

The pool claims another victim

1 minute ago, Sharpy said:

I'm also veeeeery seriously considering an aerial Jool base.

I don't think it'll let you switch away while airborne, even if you're stationary.

---

The Meteor is leaving Jool! Duna must've forgiven me for not landing on it, because it bid me farewell.

Duna2.png

Duna_and_Jool.png

And perfect timing, because the MTU Crystal has arrived at Vanor!

Vanor_from_less_Afar.png

Now the only "landers" I brought were two Waders for Tidus. But it seems like such a waste to come all this way just to land on only one moon. So here's the plan:

Gilly: Don't even need a lander for this one.

Bop, Pol: The mining ship I brought will probably be able to land and return.

Vall: The mining ship I brought might be able to land and return.

Etal: NO.  I'm not landing on a moon with 2 surface gees

Tidus: Already taken care of

Wish me luck!

Remember my “Eve Explorer” rocket I showed you guys earlier? Here is that image again as a reminder or if you haven’t seen it yet. Although I only made this spacecraft to reach the planet Eve (it was inspired by the proposed 1973 Apollo-Venus mission), I decided to test it to see if it could also reach Duna. To my surprise, it actually CAN reach Duna!

zuZFPsf.png

I am playing a sandbox game here because I only wanted to test this rocket’s capabilities, to see if it can get to Duna (I haven’t unlocked everything yet on my career mode). Here we have the interplanetary rocket in the sunny morning, at midnight and at dawn. In the morning, meh… but at night, the rocket shines beautifully.

LVKdFG0.png

We have a LIFTOFF!

DB56hqD.png

Successful circular orbit and docking, lights are turned on and the solar panels and antennas are deployed. That large rocket booster behind us will fire a second time for an elliptical orbit, and once reaching apoapsis, we decouple that large rocket so that it can re-enter Kerbin’s atmosphere.

bDbWS5r.jpg

After ditching that large rocket, we will be left with our three nuclear engines. Want to do some interplanetary exploration? Always use nuclear engines, they are heaps better for the job. Just remember to pack some thermal radiators or else they will overheat. I am using the medium sized radiator panels here. Pictured here is underneath the spacecraft.

NJVrLt2.png

Once we escape Kerbin’s influence, we fire our nuclear engines for Duna. Unfortunately, I fired for too long (not deliberately, I swear!). We are coming in pretty hot on Duna here! Hopefully we don’t burn up in the atmosphere…

l8O54bW.png

Time warp later, and we are now approaching the red planet!

SgsnkKF.png

We even have Duna’s moon Ike coming through. I didn’t encounter it, and thank goodness that it didn’t mess up our encounter with Duna!

GVUGz4a.png

Whoa! Okay now, the planet is getting a little too close for comfort here…

qvM3pNr.png

Okay, we are getting way too close and now the spacecraft’s durability is being put to the test! I retracted the solar panels, the radiator panels and the antennas so that they don’t break off.

bE0KMSS.png

R.I.P brave Ker WHAT…?! WE ACTUALLY SURVIVED?? Well… uh, okay then… I was actually expecting the craft to break apart, but it did not happen. Oh well, hahaha! It’s a miracle! Nothing exploded at all! :sticktongue:

3auSB7v.png

Re-deploying all panels and antennas, all surprisingly unscathed!

p0hqBZw.png

One last screenshot before we leave Duna’s sphere of influence. Bye Duna, thanks for not killing us!

1F5AWBg.png

Returning back to Kerbin, boy that “near death experience” will be big news back home! Unfortunately, I soon ran out of liquid fuel for the nuclear engines afterwards, so I had to resort to using the RCS thrusters to finish off the Kerbin encounter, which wasn’t too difficult at all.

Tg82Fv4.png

We have returned to Kerbin! Yep, that re-entry is pretty steep, but the return capsule can handle it!

4nTPdMY.png

Guess what, throughout the entire mission, we only had ONE kerbal inside the spacecraft – our one and only loveable Jeb! Oh Jebediah, you brave, daredevil kerbal you… :P

2Zo1rPq.png

Undocking from the rest of the spacecraft/habitation module/mobile space station (whatever you want to call it). It will burn up on re-entry because we don’t need it anymore (its fuel is depleted and I can always launch another rocket to Eve or Duna).

iwUiDyc.png

By the way, if you couldn’t already tell previously, the return spacecraft (pictured on the top-left) used to have the TR-XL Stack Separator, but I replaced it with the Rockomax Brand Decoupler. Why? For some reason, despite being larger, the Rockomax Brand Decoupler is actually slightly lighter and is cheaper than the TR-XL Stack Separator.

I also later jettisoned the return capsule’s service module without using it once, because we are already heading straight for Kerbin’s atmosphere anyway. Although I could use it to fix up the steep re-entry angle a little bit, but I’m sure Jeb can handle it! He’s tough!

6d1yfjr.png

Whoops, looks like I was wrong! Jeb passed out. At least the capsule can handle the re-entry but the kerbal sure can’t (sorry Jeb).

HAWEufx.png

Deploying the parachutes. Jeb regained consciousness again shortly afterwards, so he’ll be fine.

8nrlAok.png

And here we have Jeb, safe on Kerbin finally! Not only did he survive a near fiery death on Duna and even got knocked out for a brief moment on re-entry, he has managed to come back successfully to Kerbin, all on his own for three years in space! All hail Jeb!

yRpHRoo.png

Put some christmas decorations up

V9ja2j8.png

Midnight service is in the Space Cathedral this evening, (That's midnight KSC time).

P.S. If you want some kerbal Christmas cheer, here are two songs I kerbalised ages ago, Six White Boosters,   Aussie Kerbal Jingle Bells, and a thread of Kerbal decorations http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/54985-jebmaschristmas-treeother-holiday-decorations-megathread/ 

Edited by Tw1

42 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Mods list plz :D

Self-lighting: B9 Aerospace

RCS blocks: Tantares (Cygnus RCS)

Truss: Near Future Construction

Engine: Near Future Spacecraft

Solar panels: Near Future Solar (I have their scale set to 0.8,0.8,0.8 so they're the same size as the panels on the 1x4 version (ie. bigger))

Decoupler/battery/tanks: Procedural Parts (filleted cylinders with max fillet will make a sphere)

Extra PP textures: cryogenic orange by blackheart612, stock gray by JebediahKerman42.

Visual model of RGU and headlight: Ven's Stock Revamp

i tried to build a VTOL mod for my shuttle so i wouldnt have to land on the main engines and then flip it over with rcs

well... so far so good...

CE20BE34DFF84FECDDEDB5AE8E70A1E079BEFB44

soft landing is possible, fuel consumtion is outrageous, and mech jeb landing guidance gets a stroke 

any tips are welcome guys

1 hour ago, Tw1 said:

Put some christmas decorations up

V9ja2j8.png

Midnight service is in the Space Cathedral this evening, (That's midnight KSC time).

P.S. If you want some kerbal Christmas cheer, here are two songs I kerbalised ages ago, Six White Boosters,   Aussie Kerbal Jingle Bells, and a thread of Kerbal decorations http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/54985-jebmaschristmas-treeother-holiday-decorations-megathread/ 

Haha, that is so cool!

No pictures today, getting my infrastructure launches out of the way.  Progress towards starting my massive Duna mission:

Curiosity en-route

Relay satalite en-route

Duna Ascent Vehicle 1 en-route

CTV Hyperion - In Orbit

TMR Halo - In Orbit

Hyperion team 1 Duna Habitat - In orbit

Hyperion team 2 Duna Habitat - In orbit

Hyperion Team 1 Ike lander, Orion CSM, and Duna Rover - In orbit

Hyperion Team 2 Orion CSM and Duna Rover - On Launchpad

Hyperion Team 2 Duna Ascent Vehicle - Being Prepped

Halo Team Ike Mission (Still designing launch vehicle)

Halo Team Habitat-Rover and Return Vehicle - Still designing Launch and transfer craft

Crew selection - about half done.

I was hoping to have the mission on its way to Duna for Christmas but I'm thinking New Years is a more realistic goal.

13 hours ago, Halfdan said:

i tried to build a VTOL mod for my shuttle so i wouldnt have to land on the main engines and then flip it over with rcs

well... so far so good...

CE20BE34DFF84FECDDEDB5AE8E70A1E079BEFB44

soft landing is possible, fuel consumtion is outrageous, and mech jeb landing guidance gets a stroke 

any tips are welcome guys

Have you tried Vernor thrusters?  They operate from the RCS controls so you don't have to juggle the throttle and action groups to toggle engines off and on while landing.

They have a lot more thrust than monoprop, and use LF+OX so you only need to haul one type of fuel.  You could put a standard 4+4 set on that bird, but that might be overkill if it's lighter than it looks.  Remember to disable RCS in transit and let SAS use reaction wheels whenever you can so it doesn't waste fuel.

You could also use monoprop thrusters for maneuvering and put Vernors on the bottom, toggled with an action group.  In this configuration use the main engines to shed horizontal speed and use the "RCS translate up" button to fire the Vernors to cushion landings.

I used Vernors to rotate this massive tanker and ventral Thuds to land it on Mun and Ike.  I suspect your bird could handle Mun/Minmus with Vernors alone.

I recommend the RCS Build Aid mod to help balance your thrusters.  It's an excellent tool for visualizing torque from any thrust input.

Edited by Torquimedes

After designing and assembling my first interplanetary cruiser in career code, I could finally send kerbals into Duna!

It is called D.R.E.S. (Duna Reserach & Exploartion Spacecraft) - Kragon

BeJR1Yl.jpg

Here is the cruiser Kragon just before leaving the Kerbin SOI

8izXkyM.jpg

and Happy Holidays to all of you! :D

Edited by heihei4c
Add new content & image